The History Thread

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Re: The History Thread

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:47 pm

Look, I'm not the biggest fan of Gillispie. In my research over the years on this topic, I think TIGHAR has uncovered some interesting objects, such as the anti-freckle cream and the sextant box in the same location that the female bones were found, but they (meaning Ric) embellish certain aspects of their findings to try and get more research money. It is what it is. Them continuing to maintain that the aluminum they found was the "Miami patch" is entirely frustrating to me and calls into question their integrity as a research organization.

Nevertheless, there's mountains of evidence that radio stations were picking up her signal for many hours after she would have likely crashed. So while I think her going in the drink is probably the most likely outcome when you Occam's Razor it, I think there's enough evidence out there to keep me from thinking she just went into the ocean. I'm not sure she would have had enough fuel to make it to the Marshall's, although many people think otherwise. So I think Gardner Island is the best candidate because it was actually on the flight path she was on. There is enough circumstantial evidence out there to make me think that she ended up there as opposed to anywhere else.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:30 pm

I could hardly pay attention to the first episode of that silly HH Holmes show because of how goofy the two hosts look.

So I'm guessing their main points of "evidence" are going to be that A) HH Holmes wasn't in Chicago in Fall of 88 to Spring of 89, and B) that his skill with the knife, being an evil doctor who liked to slice and dice people, matches up with the Ripper's alleged proficiency with a blade.

This show is going to be crap because the main dude is a direct descendant of Holmes and so his confirmation bias is just going to permeate every aspect of the show.

I like a good historical mystery, but Jack the Ripper seems unsolvable.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:44 pm

1) I thought it was tonight

2) I thought it was a special like the Earhart thing. I had no idea it was 8 damn episodes. Wow.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:47 pm

0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Like a doll's eyes

Seriously though, that's awesome. I've often thought about how if I had tens of billions of dollars that I'd finance random things like this.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:13 am

So that's almost 3.5 miles down; around 18000 feet.

For reference, the Titanic is about 3800 meters down, or about 12500 feet.

Yikes.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:31 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:So that's almost 3.5 miles down; around 18000 feet.

For reference, the Titanic is about 3800 meters down, or about 12500 feet.

Yikes.

Yeah that's just stupid deep. Bismarck was 15,500 or so.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:34 pm

0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

It could have been zombie Anne Frank, so at least they didn't take it that far?

Nope I got nothing.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:00 pm

At least it's not slutty Anne Frank.

Now someone will actually find that exact costume and we'll all have a bleach drinking party later.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Carlin says this is a beta test for a new podcast format he is working on

Better military? WWI Imperial German army or WWII Nazi army?

0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:01 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

It could have been zombie Anne Frank, so at least they didn't take it that far?

Nope I got nothing.

Good news: Costumes.com has pulled the costume after a tidal wave of negative comments from customers. Who could have possibly seen that coming?

Bad news: Amazon changed the name to "WWII evacuee girl" and is still selling it. I genuinely wonder if they know what being a WWII Evacuee implies.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:31 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:26 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/robbysoave/status/938482844405501952

The article is right on Lee. He's terribly overrated.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:25 pm

Their reputations were always propped up by the horsefeathers of the Union military leaders more than anything else.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Their reputations were always propped up by the horsefeathers of the Union military leaders more than anything else.

Lee’s was because of the noble lost cause [expletive] narrative that White Southerners used to make themselves feel better about their terrible way of life after the civil war.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:41 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Their reputations were always propped up by the horsefeathers of the Union military leaders more than anything else.

Lee had Jackson who had great instincts for when to press the attack. Lee's reputation was built on his ability to win battles despite being outnumbered but that pretty much stops happening after Jackson gets shot by his own troops.

Lee’s was because of the noble lost cause [expletive] narrative that White Southerners used to make themselves feel better about their terrible way of life after the civil war.

That's also why Grant gets a bad rap as a drunken butcher that only won because of strength of numbers even though he won brilliant victories in the West.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:51 pm

Depends on the general. Men like Forrest and Jackson were legit military geniuses whose tactics have been studied and emulated for 150 years. Lee wasn't a bad tactician at all. His failure, and why some say the South would have fared better without him, was that strategically he didn't take into account the big picture. He was obsessed with being the aggressor in all situations, and fighting offensive campaigns always costs far more lives than defensive ones. Being aggressive in situations where he didn't need to be cost him 20,000 troops during the Seven Days Campaign, 28,000 at Gettysburg, and so on. Lee and Grant were quite similar in that regard, the difference being that Grant could replace those 20,000 troops, whereas Lee most certainly could not.

The most significant and costly example of Lee's stubbornness is of course at Gettysburg. Longstreet, Ewell, and several other generals implored Lee to not fight a full scale engagement at Gettysburg but rather to turn around and advance toward Washington, knowing that the Union Army would have to pursue them. Thus, the Confederates could find some awesome high ground and make a defensive stand, giving the Army of the Potomac no choice but to attack them in what would likely have resulted in a Confederate victory. But Lee inexplicably made the boneheaded decision to ignore their advice and to attack a well entrenched AOP force. Hell, there are entire books devoted to trying to figure out what the hell Lee was thinking when 99 out of 100 generals in history (Custer being the 1) would have turned toward DC and made the AOP follow them.

Oh, and I'll add that if Lee gets penalized for fighting against a bunch of halfwits, Grant needs to be similarly penalized. During his campaigns out west (Shiloh, Vicksburg, Atlanta, Chattanooga), he didn't fight against a single Confederate commander worth a crap. Perhaps his greatest victory of the war came during the Vicksburg Campaign when he faced Confederate Gen. John C. Pemberton. As I've stated before, Pemberton was such a lousy commander that his own second in command wrote to his wife "He is either the worst general in either army or he's a traitor, but I've yet to figure out which."

That's not to say that Grant wasn't an outstanding military mind, because he obviously was. He gets too much crap for being a butcher. His victories out West were tactically very brilliant.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:53 pm

biittner77 wrote:
That's also why Grant gets a bad rap as a drunken butcher that only won because of strength of numbers even though he won brilliant victories in the West.

We jinxed on this sentiment.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:20 pm

So American generals were essentially a bunch of hillbilly rubes of a baby country who didn't know horsefeathers about horsefeathers.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:20 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:So American generals were essentially a bunch of hillbilly rubes of a baby country who didn't know horsefeathers about horsefeathers.

That's a pretty broad generalization. What makes the Civil War unique in American History (and maybe even World History now that I think about it) is that your military leadership was half professionals and half amateurs. You had failures and triumphs coming from both groups. McClellan was smart as a whip and had written multiple manuals and treatises on the art of war, but was totally ineffective as a field commander. On the flipside, perhaps the greatest military mind of the entire war was Forrest, who had enlisted as a private and had never even been in a militia before the war.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:37 pm

OleMissCub wrote: On the flipside, perhaps the greatest military mind of the entire war was Forrest,

I don't believe you.

C-3PO's inbred cousin didn't have a mind.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:49 pm

OleMissCub wrote:

Depends on the general. Men like Forrest and Jackson were legit military geniuses whose tactics have been studied and emulated for 150 years. Lee wasn't a bad tactician at all. His failure, and why some say the South would have fared better without him, was that strategically he didn't take into account the big picture. He was obsessed with being the aggressor in all situations, and fighting offensive campaigns always costs far more lives than defensive ones. Being aggressive in situations where he didn't need to be cost him 20,000 troops during the Seven Days Campaign, 28,000 at Gettysburg, and so on. Lee and Grant were quite similar in that regard, the difference being that Grant could replace those 20,000 troops, whereas Lee most certainly could not.

The most significant and costly example of Lee's stubbornness is of course at Gettysburg. Longstreet, Ewell, and several other generals implored Lee to not fight a full scale engagement at Gettysburg but rather to turn around and advance toward Washington, knowing that the Union Army would have to pursue them. Thus, the Confederates could find some awesome high ground and make a defensive stand, giving the Army of the Potomac no choice but to attack them in what would likely have resulted in a Confederate victory. But Lee inexplicably made the boneheaded decision to ignore their advice and to attack a well entrenched AOP force. Hell, there are entire books devoted to trying to figure out what the hell Lee was thinking when 99 out of 100 generals in history (Custer being the 1) would have turned toward DC and made the AOP follow them.

Oh, and I'll add that if Lee gets penalized for fighting against a bunch of halfwits, Grant needs to be similarly penalized. During his campaigns out west (Shiloh, Vicksburg, Atlanta, Chattanooga), he didn't fight against a single Confederate commander worth a crap. Perhaps his greatest victory of the war came during the Vicksburg Campaign when he faced Confederate Gen. John C. Pemberton. As I've stated before, Pemberton was such a lousy commander that his own second in command wrote to his wife "He is either the worst general in either army or he's a traitor, but I've yet to figure out which."

That's not to say that Grant wasn't an outstanding military mind, because he obviously was. He gets too much crap for being a butcher. His victories out West were tactically very brilliant.

TL;DR synopsis in SW prequel form:

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:51 pm

How does JEB Stuart's haunted tank play into all of this?
0 x

Return to “Social”