Postby Brian » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:50 am

I thought Don Draper was DB Cooper
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: The History Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:43 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:33 pm

just listened to Carlin's Kings of Kings podcast, discussing the rise and fall of the Persian empire. I think it's my favorite one so far, except for maybe the one about Genghis Khan. I really prefer his depiction of the ancient world over his more modern subject matter.

he says that if the Medes and Babylonians hadn't been extremely fortunate in toppling the Assyrian Empire, the Assyrians would have marched right over the Greeks, they were that good. also, ancient civilized people were just awful to each other.
1 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:57 pm

Stannis wrote:just listened to Carlin's Kings of Kings podcast, discussing the rise and fall of the Persian empire. I think it's my favorite one so far, except for maybe the one about Genghis Khan. I really prefer his depiction of the ancient world over his more modern subject matter.

he says that if the Medes and Babylonians hadn't been extremely fortunate in toppling the Assyrian Empire, the Assyrians would have marched right over the Greeks, they were that good. also, ancient civilized people were just awful to each other.

I agree. The ancient world is really Dan's wheelhouse. Yeah, the Assyrians were pretty much proto-Nazi's in their military efficiency and cruelty toward others.

Have you listened to the History on Fire podcast yet? It's the closest thing to Carlin that is out there. He's Italian, so his accent takes some getting used to, but he's terrific. He did a multi-parter on Spartacus' rebellion and just wrapped up a 4 part series about Crazy Horse.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:58 pm

0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:58 pm

OleMissCub wrote:https://youtu.be/9agZUtHnxdw?list=LLeSP6co5i3oVRDG58j_r64g

I like how no one is doing anything to break it up
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:37 am

Some digitally enhanced movie footage from London c1900

http://www.vintag.es/2015/08/amazing-fo ... rdian.html
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:34 pm

Today is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the HMHS Britannic, one of Titanic's sister ship, making it not the largest ship to be sunk during WWI and not the Lusitania as widely thought. It was either torpedoed or struck a mine off the coast of Greece. It was being used at the time as a hospital ship, but fortunately it was on the way to pick up the wounded and so the only people aboard were about 1000 ship's crew, doctors and nurses. It sank in only 55 minutes, but thankfully the warm waters of Greece and the closeness to shore kept the casualties down to only about 30.

Most of these deaths occurred due to a screw up between the officers. They were so close to shore, around 2 miles, that the Captain thought he could drive the ship to the shore and beach her. However, officers had already started lowering the lifeboats. Before the Captain could turn the engines off many of the lifeboats were already in the water. As the ship went down by the head, the spinning propellers rose out of the water and sucked in one of these lifeboats, killing many. In an unlucky twist of fate, one of the women in that lifeboat was Violet Jessup, who had been a stewardess on the Titanic some years earlier. Fortunately she was able to jump off that lifeboat just in time, although she hit her head on something which caused some slight brain damage in later life. The wreck of the Britannic is so shallow (it hit the bottom well before it sank) that it's a popular destination for scuba divers.

0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:40 pm

Discussing the Britannic made me think about a point I generally try to make if the Titanic is ever brought up: More lifeboats wouldn't have made a lick of difference in the Titanic disaster. Yes, they only had 20 boats which were only enough for half the people on board, but they weren't even able to launch all of those before it sank. They were working on launching the last two lifeboats when the ship broke apart and plunged. So ya, history has always made mention of the fact that the Titanic didn't have enough lifeboats for everyone on board, but it wouldn't have mattered anyways.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:55 pm

I was going to say something, like, "boy, you must be a ton of fun at parties," until I realized a party where the Titanic came up would be pretty horsefeathers to begin with.
1 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:59 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I was going to say something, like, "boy, you must be a ton of fun at parties," until I realized a party where the Titanic came up would be pretty horsefeathers to begin with.

ummm yeah, I can't recall ever discussing the Titanic at a party.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:01 pm

The Lusitania however.....big, BIG hit at parties.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:29 am

This is pretty surreal. It's audio of a BBC broadcaster basically doing a sports play by play commentary of a dogfight during the Battle of Britain.

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:17 am

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:29 am

Obama never returned it to England. For some reason that was an erroneous report. Anti-Obama BS apparently. In actuality he just moved it to the hallway outside the Oval Office and put a bust of MLK in its original spot.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:20 pm

My intern found this video to show the similarities between the Harlem Renaissance and Hip Hop. Start 1 minute in

0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:46 pm

biittner77 wrote:My intern found this video to show the similarities between the Harlem Renaissance and Hip Hop. Start 1 minute in

cal solomon covered this in his oral history
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:48 pm

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170307/logan-square/congress-theater-eric-nordstrom-urban-remains-hidden-treasure-candy-containers

CHICAGO — Eric Nordstrom's latest treasure found inside the historic Congress Theater comes in candy box and wrapper form.

Nordstrom recently discovered the Junior Mints, Red Hots and other candy boxes and wrappers in an air circulation chamber (called a plenum) below the balcony seating in the theater's auditorium. He also spotted the containers in the theater's attic.

Nordstrom said some of the wrappers dated to at least the 1940s.

1 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:10 pm

Mojo, I'll give you five dollars if you'll take a bite of that Baby Ruth.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:19 pm

horsefeathers, if I was still eating candy these days I'd eat almost all of those for free.

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:23 pm

0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:22 pm

This is pretty funny. The LSU Tigers are named after "Wheat's Tigers", which was a Louisiana regiment during the Civil War made up almost entirely of Cajun misfits. They were so wild that during the war Lee forbade them from entering Richmond, lest they loot stores or rob civilians. They were also made to camp outside from where the rest of the army were encamped. They were great soldiers when unleashed but lunatics when not in battle. This is an account I came across of their crazy trip from Louisiana to Virginia at the start of the war:

When the Tigers began the long journey by train to Virginia, they had a brief layover in the small village of Grand Junction, Tennessee, as they waited for the tracks to be switched. The tiny village, built in a hurry just a few years earlier to accommodate travelers, consisted of two hotels, two brothels, and a general store. Despite the warnings of their officers that any drunkenness or visits to the brothel would be met with harsh punishment during the two hour layover, hundreds of thirsty Tigers descended upon these establishments. Less than an hour later the general store had been looted empty and both hotels and a brothel were on fire. The Tigers were ordered to board their train cars by their officers, but these efforts were in vain. In the fight to restore order, the officers began firing at the drunken mob of soldiers. When the chaos subsided, three buildings were burned to the ground and seven Tigers lay dead with another nineteen wounded.

As they continued on their way, the men were penned up either in cars or coaches while the officers rode in their own car at the rear of the train. Upon reaching Garland, Alabama, the officers left their car and strolled off into town to get some breakfast. The two musicians left to keep an eye on the men were no match for the Tigers, who, acting on alcohol inspired thoughts, uncoupled the officers car and stole the train. The officers were stunned to hear their train steam away, and quickly commandeered another engine, and set off down the tracks in pursuit of their wayward men. The next stop on the line was Montgomery, Alabama, where the Tigers began a drunken spree of looting, robbing, and harassing the civilians in their quest for more alcohol. After about an hour of this chaos, the town leaders and local military commanders called on the 1st Georgia Regiment to restore order. These unfortunate men were ordered to confront these oddly attired rampaging drunks at bayonet point. Refusing to back down, the Tigers cursed and threatened the Georgians in several foreign languages.

Just as bloodshed seemed inevitable, and unfortunately for the Tigers, the engine carrying their officers arrived on the scene. The officers streamed into the town venting their frustration at having to chase down their own men across the state of Alabama. With drawn pistols, they yet again charged into the drunken mob, one witness recalled, "the charge of the Light Brigade was surpassed by these irate Creoles." Shoving and cursing some, and pistol whipping others, the officers forcibly removed the Tigers from stores and bars, and formed them on Montgomery’s main street. Sullen, battered, and bloody, the Battalion was marched back to the station and placed onto the train. With their bloodlust up, the Tigers yet again broke free in Columbia, South Carolina, and ran wild through the streets until order was once again restored. One Tiger was killed by an officer when he refused a direct order to not reenter the town and another died accidentally in unknown circumstances. Still not finished, the Tigers ignored railroad agents by riding on top of the rocking cars or straddling the couplings between the cars. One was crushed by a low bridge, several others were crushed beneath the train. When they finally arrived in Richmond after the three day trip, a total of nineteen men had died and dozens more were wounded or injured. The rest were tired, dirty and hungry, and the officers were quite relieved.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:35 pm

The guys that are making the Titanic: Honor and Glory video game just released this clip about an hour ago showing the Titanic about to leave Belfast, where she was built. Amazing CGI work considering it's coming from just two dudes. Marvelous.

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:37 pm

I can't wait until someone mods the horsefeathers out of that for insane deathmatches.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:50 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I can't wait until someone mods the horsefeathers out of that for insane deathmatches.

There's already a GTA Titanic mod which actually uses the model that this same programmer made about 6 or 7 years ago. Also, on the now defunct Virtual Sailor series you could spawn multiple Titanic's and crash them into each other.

timestamped for your enjoyment

0 x

Return to “Social”