5-Time All-Star

Re: The History Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:19 pm

0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:19 am

omg that film restoration looks ridiculous. Dying to see this.

0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:19 pm

It would be nice to have a WWI movie with color footage that isn't soul crushingly depressing and narrated by some tedious British dude who I like to call Sir Reginald Frightful-Bore.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:56 pm

biittner77 wrote:It would be nice to have a WWI movie with color footage that isn't soul crushingly depressing and narrated by some tedious British dude who I like to call Sir Reginald Frightful-Bore.

It sounds like it's going to be narrated by the words of the veterans themselves.

Also, it was unclear to me whether the video footage was going to be colorized or just the photos. I have faith that photos can be faithfully colorized (for the most part) these days, but I'm not sure about video footage. I'd prefer the footage to be in black and white.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:08 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
biittner77 wrote:It would be nice to have a WWI movie with color footage that isn't soul crushingly depressing and narrated by some tedious British dude who I like to call Sir Reginald Frightful-Bore.

It sounds like it's going to be narrated by the words of the veterans themselves.

0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:16 pm

OleMissCub wrote:

Also, it was unclear to me whether the video footage was going to be colorized or just the photos. I have faith that photos can be faithfully colorized (for the most part) these days, but I'm not sure about video footage. I'd prefer the footage to be in black and white.

The woman made it sound like it would be in color because young people can't watch black & white footage without being bored to death.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammys Boombox » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:30 pm

I finally made it to the National WWI Museum and Memorial here in Kansas City. It’s pretty awesome. Looking forward to seeing that as well.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:11 pm

war is awesome. sooooo horsefeathering awesome. I mean, just look at all those old now-dead soldiers laughing and smiling.

yipppppieee!!!
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:40 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

lol

Jackson said the audio came from the 60's and 70's. I guess I could have clarified that.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Richard Jantz, one of the leading forensic anthropologists in the world, recently wrote a peer-reviewed research paper analyzing the bones that were found on Nikumaroro...

From his paper:

http://journals.upress.ufl.edu/fa/article/view/525/519

“This analysis reveals that Earhart is more similar to the Nikumaroro bones than 99% of individuals in a large reference sample. Until definitive evidence is presented that the remains are not those of Amelia Earhart, the most convincing argument is that they are hers.”

Basically, these bones were discovered in 1940 by a British naval doctor/researcher. He found them at what he called a "castaway's camp", which is the same site where they found all the other evidence like the anti-freckle cream, the heel of a woman's boot, the empty sextant box, etc. The bones were sent off to the Philippines where British researchers thoroughly documented them and took precise measurements. Unfortunately the bones were lost during WWII, but the data remains. The data indicates that they are those of a Caucasian, likely a female. Only 2 white people were known for certain to have to died on Nikumaroro prior to 1940. These were sailors from the shipwreck of the SS Norwich City. However, their shipwreck wasn't anywhere near this location and those bodies were buried four miles from where this skeleton was found.

According to the paper, only 1 in 1,000 people would have these same bone dimensions that Earhart and these bones had. Pretty compelling.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:19 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Our local historical society received a call a while back about a skull that a fisherman had found. The state forensics lab determined that the skull was over 200 years old and not part of any recent murder case. They asked the society if we wanted it. We sent it to a forensic scientist who came down this past Saturday to tell us what could be gleaned from the this skull. Not much as it turned out except that it was a white guy between 35-55.

She brought a mostly complete skeleton of someone that had also been discovered in our area and went through how they determine age, sex, ethnicity, etc. It was really interesting.

The easiest way to determine sex is to look at the pelvis. Beyond that, they go by the size of the femur or humerus and the skull. She showed us the difference between a male femur and one from a woman and the female femur was noticeably thinner.

I asked her about this Amelia Earhart paper. She said she hadn't read it but she said that Richard Janz was "The Man" when it comes to this sort of thing and if he said it was Amelia Earhart then she would believe it.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:44 pm

biittner77 wrote:
I asked her about this Amelia Earhart paper. She said she hadn't read it but she said that Richard Janz was "The Man" when it comes to this sort of thing and if he said it was Amelia Earhart then she would believe it.

Yeah, he’s pretty much God in forensic anthropology.

There’s always been so much circumstantial evidence about Gardner Island/Niki being where she made an emergency landing. I posted a bunch of it a while back. Especially telling to me was that photograph that I think demonstrably showed a plane wheel, specifically a Lockheed Electra wheel sticking out of the reef in the exact location where one of the natives claimed she often saw wreckage while growing up.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:30 pm

0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:00 am

“His Accidency” John Tyler, he of living grandchildren fame
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:27 pm

Technically, this is history.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:26 pm

0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:59 pm

OleMissCub wrote:

Or a non aggression pact.

Did you know that April is genocide awareness month?
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:01 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/ ... _an_brief/

The short version is that the Russians and Germans teamed up to defeat the wolves that were attacking both armies. I had never heard of this before yesterday.
0 x

Return to “Social”