Game of Thrones

Brian
Hall of Fame

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Brian » Mon May 06, 2019 5:28 pm

yeah with one of the arrows going through his neck, I don't see it.
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Mon May 06, 2019 5:29 pm

I kinda buy that theory that Sansa double crossed Dany.
1 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon May 06, 2019 5:41 pm

I have an easier time telling myself that the group at the gate was out of range than I do telling myself that Euron destroyed the other boats and then just let everyone swim safely to shore after going out of his way to capture Missandei.

There were definitely holes in the logic. But I still loved the episode.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon May 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Rhaegar gets pulled from the bay and Qyburn does his “raising The Mountain from the dead” hoodoo voodoo and BOOM, Cersei has a dragon.

Eh? Ehhhhhh?
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon May 06, 2019 6:50 pm

1 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue May 07, 2019 1:11 am

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 07, 2019 1:29 am

Nah
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue May 07, 2019 2:01 am

Derwood wrote:Nah

Perhaps you should rewatch the first few seasons. I’ve done that lately and it’s night and damn day. Stunning the differences in the quality of the dialogue and story. They’re virtually different shows.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 07, 2019 2:27 am

OleMissCub wrote:
Derwood wrote:Nah

Perhaps you should rewatch the first few seasons. I’ve done that lately and it’s night and damn day. Stunning the differences in the quality of the dialogue and story. They’re virtually different shows.

3/4 eps this season have been great.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 07, 2019 2:27 am

It’s the same guys writing the show then and now. If you want to be mad at someone, rage against Martin, who has had over ten years to write one book and he hasn’t come close.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue May 07, 2019 2:35 am

Derwood wrote:It’s the same guys writing the show then and now. If you want to be mad at someone, rage against Martin, who has had over ten years to write one book and he hasn’t come close.

Well ya, no crap it’s the same guys. Everyone deserves equal blame. They were infinitely better when working on an adapted screenplay.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 07, 2019 2:43 am

OleMissCub wrote:
Derwood wrote:It’s the same guys writing the show then and now. If you want to be mad at someone, rage against Martin, who has had over ten years to write one book and he hasn’t come close.

Well ya, no crap it’s the same guys. Everyone deserves equal blame. They were infinitely better when working on an adapted screenplay.

And Martin started book 6 before Season One began filming. He had every opportunity to finish the books before the show wrapped and he punted
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 07, 2019 11:50 am

Boy that's not a very good defense.

"These showrunners were great when they had source material!"
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue May 07, 2019 1:13 pm

It’s pretty hard to bring something this sprawling to a satisfying close. If it was easy, it probably wouldn’t be taking GRRM a decade to write the penultimate book. I think they have done a great job. Online GoT fans are making Star Wars fans look reasonable these days. I had extremely low expectations for this season and I think it’s been pretty good so far.
3 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue May 07, 2019 1:20 pm

Season 6 is better than most 'adapted' seasons
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 07, 2019 1:36 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:It’s pretty hard to bring something this sprawling to a satisfying close. If it was easy, it probably wouldn’t be taking GRRM a decade to write the penultimate book. I think they have done a great job. Online GoT fans are making Star Wars fans look reasonable these days. I had extremely low expectations for this season and I think it’s been pretty good so far.

3 of 4 episodes have been great. Ep 4 was a bit of a mess. My wife fell asleep Sunday night so we watched it again last night. She liked it more than I did. I was even more taken aback by Dany standing five feet in front of those dragonarrows, and Drogon just being a little further back. They were able to shoot down a flying dragon, with three direct hits, but they didn't shoot at a stationary target much closer?

Anyway, it was poorly done, but the rest has been fine.

People ignore they have a tv show to make. You can't keep these actors under contract indefinitely. They are human beings. The show had to end, and it always had to gloss over a whole bunch of stuff from the books, both for its untranslatable to film aspect, and for time reasons. If George wanted this to end differently, he should have written the end.
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Tue May 07, 2019 2:35 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Chocolate Milk wrote:It’s pretty hard to bring something this sprawling to a satisfying close. If it was easy, it probably wouldn’t be taking GRRM a decade to write the penultimate book. I think they have done a great job. Online GoT fans are making Star Wars fans look reasonable these days. I had extremely low expectations for this season and I think it’s been pretty good so far.

3 of 4 episodes have been great. Ep 4 was a bit of a mess. My wife fell asleep Sunday night so we watched it again last night. She liked it more than I did. I was even more taken aback by Dany standing five feet in front of those dragonarrows, and Drogon just being a little further back. They were able to shoot down a flying dragon, with three direct hits, but they didn't shoot at a stationary target much closer?

People ignore they have a tv show to make. You can't keep these actors under contract indefinitely. They are human beings. The show had to end, and it always had to gloss over a whole bunch of stuff from the books, both for its untranslatable to film aspect, and for time reasons. If George wanted this to end differently, he should have written the end.

lol, i had to give my mother of all people the speech about how this show has a budget, it takes forever to shoot, it's expensive as hell, hbo gave them x amount of hours, etc. when she kept whinging about some plot holes and logical hiccups. i told her to just enjoy the ride, because it's impossible to conclude the story at anyone's 100% satisfaction at this point ...i feel like the 60 year old woman should be giving the mid 30's nerd this speech, not the other way around
Last edited by rocket on Tue May 07, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue May 07, 2019 2:37 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

I didn't really care for the first episode but liked the last one. Other than that, we're in agreement. I think the long delay between books allowed for people to create these crazy and detailed head cannons and when the outcome turned out to be much more straight forward, it's now "bad writing." The hyper critical nitpicking applied of every episode now could have been applied to previous seasons and just wasn't. Some of the criticisms I've seen on reddit (I know) are completely infantile. I feel like the show is in a can't win position with fans now and it sucks.
0 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Tue May 07, 2019 2:38 pm

episode 2 this season was as good as any other episode they've done
1 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue May 07, 2019 2:41 pm

rocket wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

lol, i had to give my mother of all people the speech about how this show has a budget, it takes forever to shoot, it's expensive as hell, hbo gave them x amount of hours, etc. when she kept whinging about some plot holes and logical hiccups. i told her to just enjoy the ride, because it's impossible to conclude the story at anyone's 100% satisfaction at this point ...i feel like the 60 year old woman should be giving the mid 30's nerd this speech, not the other way around

Yeah man, think about the logistics of shooting something like the battle of winterfell. 55 days of overnight shooting. All the fires and horsefeathers they had burning all the time. All the extras, the horses, all that horsefeathers. Meanwhile some nerd is like "it was hard to see complete trash episode 0/10."
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 07, 2019 4:26 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

I didn't really care for the first episode but liked the last one. Other than that, we're in agreement. I think the long delay between books allowed for people to create these crazy and detailed head cannons and when the outcome turned out to be much more straight forward, it's now "bad writing." The hyper critical nitpicking applied of every episode now could have been applied to previous seasons and just wasn't. Some of the criticisms I've seen on reddit (I know) are completely infantile. I feel like the show is in a can't win position with fans now and it sucks.

And because they are hardcore nerds and they suck at life, all the vitriol is towards the show and not the complete mess that is the books
0 x

muntjack
All-Star

Postby muntjack » Tue May 07, 2019 4:32 pm

It used to be excellent characters facilitating a story. Now it's a story facilitating characters. I'm turning my brain off and enjoying it all but it's sad because I didn't have to do that before. GRRM is perhaps the world's biggest dork but he's 100x the writer that Benioff or Weiss are.
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm

I still laugh about all the plot armor complaints when people have been unrealistically surviving horsefeathers the whole series. I mean Hard Home? Battle of the Bastards where they were being crushed to death by piles of corpses? That battle north of the wall where 6 people fought off the army of the dead? Tormund and the gang surviving the collapse of the wall? It seems crazy to me to have been fine with all that and then all the sudden start adjusting your glasses and being all [nerd voice], "Well, actually..."

I think there were good parts and bad parts to Sunday's episode. I think on the whole, the writing has stayed pretty consistent. This season feels a little like a race to the end, which is a bummer, but there's also the very real possibility that if they had extra eps, it would feel like treading water.
3 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 07, 2019 4:35 pm

muntjack wrote:It used to be excellent characters facilitating a story. Now it's a story facilitating characters. I'm turning my brain off and enjoying it all but it's sad because I didn't have to do that before. GRRM is perhaps the world's biggest dork but he's 100x the writer that Benioff or Weiss are.

yeah but the one thing great writers do is actually write
3 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 pm

Let's not give Martin too much credit. He had a shadow baby directly kill one of the main claimants to the throne. Can you imagine if the show runners pulled that horsefeathers? The internet would melt down.
1 x

Return to “Social”