Game of Thrones

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:52 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Derwood wrote:I know there's the whole "we don't see them die on screen, they might not be dead" rule, but Tormund and Beric couldn't have survived the dragon attack, right?

Tormund will survive to make sweet sweet love to that blonde dude so get that dead stuff out of your head

They are our only hope to eventually bring giants back to westeros.
1 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:05 am

Yeah Beric and Tormund are alive.
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:08 am

I'm hard
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:34 am

Littlefinger's death didn't satisfy me for some reason. Perhaps it was because I don't really give a crap about him at this point. Because he had nothing really to do, I stopped caring. The show seemingly running out of things for him to do made his death just feel like a formality. His character was already dead to the show. He was destined to die due to irrelevance.

That probably didn't make any sense.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:50 am

OleMissCub wrote:Littlefinger's death didn't satisfy me for some reason. Perhaps it was because I don't really give a crap about him at this point. Because he had nothing really to do, I stopped caring. The show seemingly running out of things for him to do made his death just feel like a formality. His character was already dead to the show. He was destined to die due to irrelevance.

I don't know. It was pretty great seeing him standing coy in his familiar little corner, thinking he had climbed another rung on the chose ladder. And that was even with it being pretty obvious from his earlier conversation with Sansa what was going to happen. Plus the knights of the vail being all "nah sorry bro" was fun.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:01 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:Littlefinger's death didn't satisfy me for some reason. Perhaps it was because I don't really give a crap about him at this point. Because he had nothing really to do, I stopped caring. The show seemingly running out of things for him to do made his death just feel like a formality. His character was already dead to the show. He was destined to die due to irrelevance.

I don't know. It was pretty great seeing him standing coy in his familiar little corner, thinking he had climbed another rung on the chose ladder. And that was even with it being pretty obvious from his earlier conversation with Sansa what was going to happen. Plus the knights of the vail being all "nah sorry bro" was fun.

Yeah, I enjoyed that death quite a bit. He's all smug and then tries to talk his way out of it. Made sense of what seemed to be the weird Sansa/Arya interactions in the last episode.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:08 am

Pretty much;
He wasn’t as clever or as inscrutable as he believed, and when the jig was up, that smug grin turned to a blubbering quiver right quick. In death, he was what he feared being most: ordinary.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... d_the.html
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:17 am

The poor Dothraki are heading North to fight the dead in the snow and they don't believe in shirts.
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:36 am

Fun seeing Littlefinger die, but I always thought it would be more in the spirit of the ASOIAF for Littlefinger to survive everything. To me, he was always kind of Martin's middle finger to all the fantasy tropes: he wasn't a "good" guy, he wasn't a skilled fighter, he wasn't noble born or a military tactician or born to be the most powerful wizard ever. He was just clever and prepared, and that's who survives in the real world, not good guys or chosen ones or indestructible knights.

What's odd is, as the story closes, it has started really veering back to the tropes Martin loved flipping on their head. Jon really is the chosen one, the low-born nobody destined to be king. He's good to the point of absurdity; he couldn't muster the guile to lie to Cersei, and he forgave Theon for betraying his family and indirectly causing the deaths of his half-sibling. He's essentially the classic fantasy hero, a character archetype that has been done over and over.

I'm not bothered by that as much as I am surprised. I read a ton of fantasy, and I can still enjoy a classic "chosen one" story. It just seemed like Martin was trying for something different.

Still time for twists and surprises, though, so maybe I'm wrong, and these guys have something up their sleeves.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:36 pm

So was the purpose of Cersei's trick just to ensure that Dany's armies leave the KL area?

Also curious to know what Tyrion and Cersei really discussed.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:28 pm

OleMissCub wrote:So was the purpose of Cersei's trick just to ensure that Dany's armies leave the KL area?

I think they don't know what to do with Cersei. They should have killed off Jaime. She really been moved off the board at this point.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:30 pm

OleMissCub wrote:So was the purpose of Cersei's trick just to ensure that Dany's armies leave the KL area?

She is playing a short game but thinks she's playing a long game, if that makes sense. Preservation of the Lannister legacy is her fatal flaw
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:36 pm

CubinNY wrote:

I think they don't know what to do with Cersei. They should have killed off Jaime. She really been moved off the board at this point.
i disagree
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:43 pm

snoodmonger wrote:Fun seeing Littlefinger die, but I always thought it would be more in the spirit of the ASOIAF for Littlefinger to survive everything. To me, he was always kind of Martin's middle finger to all the fantasy tropes: he wasn't a "good" guy, he wasn't a skilled fighter, he wasn't noble born or a military tactician or born to be the most powerful wizard ever. He was just clever and prepared, and that's who survives in the real world, not good guys or chosen ones or indestructible knights.

What's odd is, as the story closes, it has started really veering back to the tropes Martin loved flipping on their head. Jon really is the chosen one, the low-born nobody destined to be king. He's good to the point of absurdity; he couldn't muster the guile to lie to Cersei, and he forgave Theon for betraying his family and indirectly causing the deaths of his half-sibling. He's essentially the classic fantasy hero, a character archetype that has been done over and over.

I'm not bothered by that as much as I am surprised. I read a ton of fantasy, and I can still enjoy a classic "chosen one" story. It just seemed like Martin was trying for something different.

Still time for twists and surprises, though, so maybe I'm wrong, and these guys have something up their sleeves.
the only way it could avoid not going tropey is to have the white walkers win and everyone we know die. We shouldn't be surprised that all of a sudden the virtuous son of royalty is leading the fight for humanity. That's been the story all along.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:46 pm

yeah, I don't see why everyone is writing off Cersei. She lost a one handed man last night, that's about it. And she got all of her enemies to walk away. She still has all of the armies of the south and the backing of the iron bank.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:56 pm

Brian wrote:yeah, I don't see why everyone is writing off Cersei. She lost a one handed man last night, that's about it. And she got all of her enemies to walk away. She still has all of the armies of the south and the backing of the iron bank.

My impression was that Jamie was taking the armies of the south with him.
0 x
Spoiler: show

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:09 pm

Tim wrote:
Brian wrote:yeah, I don't see why everyone is writing off Cersei. She lost a one handed man last night, that's about it. And she got all of her enemies to walk away. She still has all of the armies of the south and the backing of the iron bank.

I disagree. If that were the case they would have shown him riding at the head of the Lannister forces. He simply defected by himself (wish he could have taken Bronn with him).
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:25 pm

Maybe it's just wishful thinking that her story line is basically done, but I don't think losing Jaime is some small loss for her. Her continued existence is on smaller and smaller strands of things that matter which she clings to. That was a fatal blow to her as a character.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:29 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
Tim wrote:

I disagree. If that were the case they would have shown him riding at the head of the Lannister forces. He simply defected by himself (wish he could have taken Bronn with him).

I think he could easily get a whole bunch to defect with him (without then even knowing they were defying their queen since there were plenty of other witnesses that saw her oath and beyond Jaime, maybe Qyburn, and maybe Euron no one who know her real intentions).
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:33 pm

I'm not sure I've been more happy watching the show than when Sansa said "Lord Baelish".
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:38 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:Fun seeing Littlefinger die, but I always thought it would be more in the spirit of the ASOIAF for Littlefinger to survive everything. To me, he was always kind of Martin's middle finger to all the fantasy tropes: he wasn't a "good" guy, he wasn't a skilled fighter, he wasn't noble born or a military tactician or born to be the most powerful wizard ever. He was just clever and prepared, and that's who survives in the real world, not good guys or chosen ones or indestructible knights.

the only way it could avoid not going tropey is to have the white walkers win and everyone we know die. We shouldn't be surprised that all of a sudden the virtuous son of royalty is leading the fight for humanity. That's been the story all along.

Jon (btw should we start calling him Aegon VII?) and Dany peacefully ruling over the kingdoms together would feel awfully tropey (besides the incest). We'll see if one of them has to sacrifice the ultimate price in the end...
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Our group of watchers started calling him A-Jon.
5 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:31 pm

The one bad part about Littlefinger dying is that we don't know (yet) what he thought his endgame was going to be.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Derwood wrote:The one bad part about Littlefinger dying is that we don't know (yet) what he thought his endgame was going to be.

Derwood, Derwood, Derwood. His endgame has been known since season 1. Power. I thought his end was very satisfying. I kind of thought that's how things would play out. The best thing was how he was utterly alone. No one liked him.
Last edited by CubinNY on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:38 pm

I'm more bummed that we don't get anymore LF/Varys conversations
0 x

Return to “Social”