Game of Thrones

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Brian wrote:I'm more bummed that we don't get anymore LF/Varys conversations

How long has it been since Varys didn't seem utterly pointless?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:49 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Derwood wrote:The one bad part about Littlefinger dying is that we don't know (yet) what he thought his endgame was going to be.

Derwood, Derwood, Derwood. His endgame has been known since season 1. Power. I thought his end was very satisfying. I kind of thought that's how things would play out. The best thing was how he was utterly alone. No one liked him.

Power, duh, but how? Did he think that if he turned the sisters against one another that Sansa would get rid of Arya and then marry him? For someone who is thinking as many steps ahead as he was, was he still blinded by this fantasy that Cat's daughter would take him as her equal?
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:59 pm

I don't think he had a master plan, he floated around aligning with everybody hoping no one would notice he was playing all sides and would be valuable to all of them so he could be there to take advantage when the time was right. Hoping he was covered enough with his other alliances when he had to make moves that would publicly put him against houses.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:02 pm

Where was Gendry? I'm guessing he was some where at Eastwatch, but they can't have killed him off off screen either, right? There's no way they brought him back just to go for a run.
0 x

Liam Neeson
All-Star

Postby Liam Neeson » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:11 pm

"What did they do to you? Doesn't matter, it's not how it ends for you, brother. You know who's coming for you. You've always known."

Hype
1 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:16 pm

Dany is really gonna have Aegon her face when she realizes she banged her nephew

anyway, dany is gonna get prego and Jon is going to beat the knight's king and then die when the lord of light is like "thanks, got it, appreciate your hard work" and stops keeping him alive.

Dany then dies in childbirth. Their son Jaehaerys grows up to lead the Kingdom with Tyrion at his side making sure he is a good king.
2 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:19 pm

Liam Neeson wrote:
"What did they do to you? Doesn't matter, it's not how it ends for you, brother. You know who's coming for you. You've always known."

Hype

I definitely thought it was going down when the Hound immediately got in Gregor's face. I was very hyped.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:21 pm

Aegon I the conqueror created it all, Aegon the Jon Snow will end it, melt down the throne and let the kingdoms rule themselves.
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:21 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:Dany is really gonna have Aegon her face when she realizes she banged her nephew

anyway, dany is gonna get prego and Jon is going to beat the knight's king and then die when the lord of light is like "thanks, got it, appreciate your hard work" and stops keeping him alive.

Dany then dies in childbirth. Their son Jaehaerys grows up to lead the Kingdom with Tyrion at his side making sure he is a good king.

I say this is very plausible. Fits the "bittersweet" ending that GRRM has alluded to.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:24 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:Dany is really gonna have Aegon her face when she realizes she banged her nephew

I say this is very plausible. Fits the "bittersweet" ending that GRRM has alluded to.

And the kid is Lightbringer
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Brian wrote:I don't think he had a master plan, he floated around aligning with everybody hoping no one would notice he was playing all sides and would be valuable to all of them so he could be there to take advantage when the time was right. Hoping he was covered enough with his other alliances when he had to make moves that would publicly put him against houses.

I'm sure at the very least he was counting on a last minute escape with the knights of the vale as we saw. I mean, it's impossible for him to have an endless number of outs. The gig ran up. Somone does need to bring a nice toy to Robin Aryn now to keep him distracted though.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:53 pm

Btw, undead dragons breathe blue flames
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:14 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:Fun seeing Littlefinger die, but I always thought it would be more in the spirit of the ASOIAF for Littlefinger to survive everything. To me, he was always kind of Martin's middle finger to all the fantasy tropes: he wasn't a "good" guy, he wasn't a skilled fighter, he wasn't noble born or a military tactician or born to be the most powerful wizard ever. He was just clever and prepared, and that's who survives in the real world, not good guys or chosen ones or indestructible knights.

What's odd is, as the story closes, it has started really veering back to the tropes Martin loved flipping on their head. Jon really is the chosen one, the low-born nobody destined to be king. He's good to the point of absurdity; he couldn't muster the guile to lie to Cersei, and he forgave Theon for betraying his family and indirectly causing the deaths of his half-sibling. He's essentially the classic fantasy hero, a character archetype that has been done over and over.

I'm not bothered by that as much as I am surprised. I read a ton of fantasy, and I can still enjoy a classic "chosen one" story. It just seemed like Martin was trying for something different.

Still time for twists and surprises, though, so maybe I'm wrong, and these guys have something up their sleeves.
the only way it could avoid not going tropey is to have the white walkers win and everyone we know die. We shouldn't be surprised that all of a sudden the virtuous son of royalty is leading the fight for humanity. That's been the story all along.

No, that's not the only way for it to avoid being tropey at all. Humanity can survive without it being tropey.

I'm not really bothered by Jon being a classic chosen one type character. And there's still a ton they can do to avoid it feeling like a stock fantasy ending. I just think it's kind of funny the main character of the series is pretty standard fantasy fare.

I do hope they find a way to avoid giving all the "evil" people comeuppance, though. That's why I was a little disappointed Littlefinger died, even though part of me enjoyed seeing it. Part of it might have been the story that got us to Littlefinger's death was mostly clunky and unsatisfying though.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:44 pm

Derwood wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
Derwood wrote:The one bad part about Littlefinger dying is that we don't know (yet) what he thought his endgame was going to be.

Derwood, Derwood, Derwood. His endgame has been known since season 1. Power. I thought his end was very satisfying. I kind of thought that's how things would play out. The best thing was how he was utterly alone. No one liked him.

Power, duh, but how? Did he think that if he turned the sisters against one another that Sansa would get rid of Arya and then marry him? For someone who is thinking as many steps ahead as he was, was he still blinded by this fantasy that Cat's daughter would take him as her equal?

He was going to have Sansa kill Aryia and declare herself Queen in the North. When Jon came back he would have been killed too. Then the Knights of the Vale and the North would have taken on Cersei united with Dany. Then he would have climbed over Sansa to get to Dany until he was the power behind the throne or sitting on the throne next to Dany.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:48 pm

snoodmonger wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:Fun seeing Littlefinger die, but I always thought it would be more in the spirit of the ASOIAF for Littlefinger to survive everything. To me, he was always kind of Martin's middle finger to all the fantasy tropes: he wasn't a "good" guy, he wasn't a skilled fighter, he wasn't noble born or a military tactician or born to be the most powerful wizard ever. He was just clever and prepared, and that's who survives in the real world, not good guys or chosen ones or indestructible knights.

What's odd is, as the story closes, it has started really veering back to the tropes Martin loved flipping on their head. Jon really is the chosen one, the low-born nobody destined to be king. He's good to the point of absurdity; he couldn't muster the guile to lie to Cersei, and he forgave Theon for betraying his family and indirectly causing the deaths of his half-sibling. He's essentially the classic fantasy hero, a character archetype that has been done over and over.

I'm not bothered by that as much as I am surprised. I read a ton of fantasy, and I can still enjoy a classic "chosen one" story. It just seemed like Martin was trying for something different.

Still time for twists and surprises, though, so maybe I'm wrong, and these guys have something up their sleeves.
the only way it could avoid not going tropey is to have the white walkers win and everyone we know die. We shouldn't be surprised that all of a sudden the virtuous son of royalty is leading the fight for humanity. That's been the story all along.

No, that's not the only way for it to avoid being tropey at all. Humanity can survive without it being tropey.

I'm not really bothered by Jon being a classic chosen one type character. And there's still a ton they can do to avoid it feeling like a stock fantasy ending. I just think it's kind of funny the main character of the series is pretty standard fantasy fare.

I do hope they find a way to avoid giving all the "evil" people comeuppance, though. That's why I was a little disappointed Littlefinger died, even though part of me enjoyed seeing it. Part of it might have been the story that got us to Littlefinger's death was mostly clunky and unsatisfying though.

In the books, Pod, Tyrion, and Brienne are sort of the real heros. But so is Jon and even Jaime (after he loses his hand). I'm not sure there is a way to avoid a trope. The noble underdog is JRRMs favorite hero.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:55 pm

Next season on Game of Thrones: will Sansa execute Jon for breaking his Nights Watch oath?? Jon walks into the great hall, hands behind his back. Sansa: I'm sentencing you to death for your crimes, Night King! Everyone turns to look at a shocked Night King standing in the corner
4 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:09 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:Next season on Game of Thrones: will Sansa execute Jon for breaking his Nights Watch oath?? Jon walks into the great hall, hands behind his back. Sansa: I'm sentencing you to death for your crimes, Night King! Everyone turns to look at a shocked Night King standing in the corner

Primary witness for the prosecution. Three eyed Raven, as Bran, as the NK.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:37 pm

Bran is basically Google. He's "all knowning" insofar as he has access to history, but still needs to be told what to go looking for.
1 x

Liam Neeson
All-Star

Postby Liam Neeson » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Shout out to the greatest video game cinematic of all time.

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:32 pm

Arya could have used Littlefinger's face to get into King's Landing and get Cersei alone, but his execution was too public, and word will get to the capital before Arya could get there
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:50 pm

Chances people are living at the end? I'll go.....

Tyrion 70%
Jon 50%
Dany 50%
Cersei 5%
Jaime 20%
Bronn 70%
Sansa 80%
Arya 40%
Bran off board
Hound 30%
Brienne 70%
Varys 60%
Jorah 30%
Theon 10%
Euron 1%
Qyburn 1%
Mountain 5%
Gendry 50%
Davos 50%
Grey Worm 10%
Missandei 40%
Podrick 40%
Sam 65%
Gilly 65%
Night King 10%
Tormund 25%
Beric 10%

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few important ones. Anyone think I'm way off on any of these?
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:51 pm

Count me among those disappointed by LF's fate. They basically just shouted accusations at him (all everything the viewer already knew) and then cut his throat. They didn't even provide any proof. I don't understand the point of Sansa and Arya's ruse. Was it just to psyche him out at the end?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:53 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:Count me among those disappointed by LF's fate. They basically just shouted accusations at him (all everything the viewer already knew) and then cut his throat. They didn't even provide any proof. I don't understand the point of Sansa and Arya's ruse. Was it just to psyche him out at the end?

First, I thought it was written that way just because the "gotcha" moment was good TV, but I guess you could justify it by saying that if LF caught any whiff at all of what was coming, that he would have disappeared
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:07 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:Count me among those disappointed by LF's fate. They basically just shouted accusations at him (all everything the viewer already knew) and then cut his throat. They didn't even provide any proof. I don't understand the point of Sansa and Arya's ruse. Was it just to psyche him out at the end?

didn't yohn royce think littlefinger was full of horsefeathers at the tribunal during season 4? my guess is that his opinions mean more than littlefinger's in the eyes of the vale so they didn't bother to come to his aid. perhaps jersey or another GoT expert can chime in but that's how i interpreted the scenes.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:42 pm

If the rumors are true, and season 8 won't air until 2019.....well I just hope we are all still alive to see it
0 x

Return to “Social”