Game of Thrones

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue May 14, 2019 8:26 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Yeah, I just disagree. If Jon kills Sansa at Dany's request next episode and I question wtf is going on, I swear someone is going to tell me "We saw this coming a long time ago. He's a Targaryen, after all, and we saw him execute Slynt and Thorne and Ollie, and butched multiple wildlings just trying to flee to safety. He has been willing to kill since day 1. This is completely within his character. Dood is just crazy now."

Not even remotely comparable. Come on.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue May 14, 2019 8:27 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
If you think 2 seasons would be an appropriate length of time to work through Danys descent to madness you are a writer apologist.

I have no idea what you're saying, again. I was advocating doing exactly that! Are you referring to burning up Sam's dad and bro, who basically refused to NOT be executed? You think burning two guys who refused to take an out is the same as committing political suicide and torching an entire city?!
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:29 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:I don't begrudge people who think it felt a little rushed but the people who are like "BaD wRiTiNg" I'm not really sure what show they have been watching.

Yea. I mean, theres a huge gulf between a bit rushed, or minor annoyances (like reinforcements of troops that doesn't seem like it adds up) and "these writers are hacks".
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:29 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
If you think 2 seasons would be an appropriate length of time to work through Danys descent to madness you are a writer apologist.

I have no idea what you're saying, again. I was advocating doing exactly that! Are you referring to burning up Sam's dad and bro, who basically refused to NOT be executed? You think burning two guys who refused to take an out is the same as committing political suicide and torching an entire city?!

Edited it.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue May 14, 2019 8:35 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Judas did admit he went and read spoilers for next week, so maybe this is what happens and he's just trying to let us know now.

After he kills Sansa does Dany make him kill himself too? I mean he'd do it cuz he's loyal and she's his queen, obviously.

What actually happens is less stupid, more stupid, or exactly as described. The only thing I'll confirm is that I think its dumb.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:37 pm

I just hope you got one of the misdirection endings and end up loving the real ending.
1 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue May 14, 2019 8:37 pm

Can we not reference leaks in here?
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue May 14, 2019 8:37 pm

snoodmonger wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I'll have you guys know that a poster that I shall refuse to name PM'd me and said that he thinks that you writer apologists are a bunch of pathetic bags of suckage. Paraphrasing. :stickman:

ya boy should step up and own his opinion.

I've established I never reveal my sources. I just conveniently reveal their improbable existance with no proof whatsoever.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 14, 2019 8:39 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:I just hope you got one of the misdirection endings and end up loving the real ending.

Oh come on, he's clearly determined to hate it no matter what
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue May 14, 2019 8:45 pm

Derwood wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:I just hope you got one of the misdirection endings and end up loving the real ending.

Oh come on, he's clearly determined to hate it no matter what

0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue May 14, 2019 8:46 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:Can we not reference leaks in here?

0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed May 15, 2019 12:27 am

0 x

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:26 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I'll have you guys know that a poster that I shall refuse to name PM'd me and said that he thinks that you writer apologists are a bunch of pathetic bags of suckage. Paraphrasing. :stickman:

For the record, I think there is plenty to complain about.

I don't think the complaints about Dany's arc are justified.

I didn't like most of episode 4. The Dorne and Iron Island storylines have stunk, but the latter is mostly on GRRM, imo. Frankly, the fact that it's taken George this long to even get to the next stage in the story tells you everything about what an impossible task this has been. I think they've done a good job. Not great, but good.

If you don't think this season is a disaster you are a writer apologist.

If you think 2 additional seasons would be an inappropriate length of time to work through Danys descent to madness you are a writer apologist.

I think that's basically where we are at.

Yeah, since the beginning the Dany was mad queen arc was always something that was hinted at as a possibility, but it went from 0-100 way, way too fast. Like I said earlier, they were beating us over the head with it so hard and so suddenly last week and in the opening minutes of the latest episode that I wanted to believe it had to have been misdirection.

No issue with Dany going mad (judging by things GRRM and D&D have said, I'd bet this was always the plan), major, major issues with how undercooked the descent into madness was. It was just horsefeathers writing.

I was totally on board with this season through The Long Night, but things have definitely gone south.
2 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed May 15, 2019 3:16 am

i think you're too invested
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed May 15, 2019 4:01 am

17 Seconds wrote:

i think you're too invested

0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

scarey
All-Star

Postby scarey » Wed May 15, 2019 11:57 am

Derwood wrote:Great thread, thanks for that.

Though I would argue that GRRM isn't a "pantser" considering he laid out thousands of years of detailed history before he even started writing the story.

That said, Stephen King is the ultimate "pantser", which is why his books are exactly as that Twitter thread described (great characters, but mostly unsatisfactory endings)

You're the worst book critic ever.
2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed May 15, 2019 12:04 pm

scarey wrote:
Derwood wrote:Great thread, thanks for that.

Though I would argue that GRRM isn't a "pantser" considering he laid out thousands of years of detailed history before he even started writing the story.

That said, Stephen King is the ultimate "pantser", which is why his books are exactly as that Twitter thread described (great characters, but mostly unsatisfactory endings)

You're the worst book critic ever.

Nothing the Sunday NY Times editor hasn't told me after 1000 applications
0 x

scarey
All-Star

Postby scarey » Wed May 15, 2019 12:26 pm

I'm calling my shot.

This is Daeny's way of breaking the wheel. She made the decision to show the people of Westerose that rulers do not have their best interest at heart. It doesn't matter if it's Cersei using them as hostages, or the breaker of chains who at the drop of a hat can turn them into ash. She's becoming the villain to prevent tyrants ruling these people for generations to come. She's going to have to entrust Jon to kill her though and carry on the mad queen narrative.

Or... she's being just as vengeful and vindictive as she always has been over the course of 7 previous seasons.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:22 pm

scarey wrote:I'm calling my shot.

This is Daeny's way of breaking the wheel. She made the decision to show the people of Westerose that rulers do not have their best interest at heart. It doesn't matter if it's Cersei using them as hostages, or the breaker of chains who at the drop of a hat can turn them into ash. She's becoming the villain to prevent tyrants ruling these people for generations to come. She's going to have to entrust Jon to kill her though and carry on the mad queen narrative.

Or... she's being just as vengeful and vindictive as she always has been over the course of 7 previous seasons.

Now that would be dumb.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu May 16, 2019 9:03 pm

2 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri May 17, 2019 4:54 am

Be careful everyone. I've seen "joke" leaked endings that people are putting up on various interweb places that are the actual leaked ending. There are nerdier, more upset fan boys out there than even me, and horsefeathers is going to only get more ridiculous before the finale. Avoid the internet.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri May 17, 2019 2:39 pm

I think I've decided that starting now or not too long after the finale I will never again discuss GoT (as a television show) online. I spent way too much time arguing about Lost online, I won't do it again (Hi, it still enrages me to see people say
Spoiler: show
they were dead the whole time, when it is clearly stated in the freaking episode that they were not
)

My final thoughts - Seasons 7 & 8 I enjoyed all the episodes as they aired, like the aforementioned Lost there's really nothing like the experience of watching a new episode of them. But yes, as continuation and end to Seasons 1-6, it's probably going to be a failure.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri May 17, 2019 3:02 pm

Brian wrote:I think I've decided that starting now or not too long after the finale I will never again discuss GoT (as a television show) online. I spent way too much time arguing about Lost online, I won't do it again (Hi, it still enrages me to see people say
they were dead the whole time, when it is clearly stated in the freaking episode that they were not
)

My final thoughts - Seasons 7 & 8 I enjoyed all the episodes as they aired, like the aforementioned Lost there's really nothing like the experience of watching a new episode of them. But yes, as continuation and end to Seasons 1-6, it's probably going to be a failure.

Yeah, I was also obsessive about Lost. At least with Lost, I could tell that they were rudderless at precisely the moment when they killed off
Eko
. My expectations were low from that moment onward. There were lots of cool episodes past that point, but it was clear it was being made up as they went along. However, I assumed that after the failures of Lost, these writers (who seemed to be more than competent heading into the final episodes) had a mapped out, reasonable plan for how to pull everything together. Nope!
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri May 17, 2019 3:09 pm

Not sure why we're spoilering something that ended almost 10 years ago, but whatever...

re: Lost

It seems like the showrunners panicked once they realized that everyone figured out it was purgatory by the end of the 1st season.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri May 17, 2019 3:15 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Not sure why we're spoilering something that ended almost 10 years ago, but whatever...

re: Lost

It seems like the showrunners panicked once they realized that everyone figured out it was purgatory by the end of the 1st season.

1 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Return to “Social”