Game of Thrones

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 28733
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 41
x 4808
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Brian » Mon May 20, 2019 2:47 am

Derwood wrote:I will be really interested about GRRM's part in how this season went. Did he rubber stamp the ending? Does this change how he moves forward with the books?


Pretty sure he's had nothing to do with it since the things he told them years ago (Hodor reveal, Shireen burning, something from Season 8 (guessing nuking KL) and the basics of his end (what he had in mind at the time).
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37642
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1283
x 1633

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 2:49 am

Brian wrote:
Derwood wrote:I will be really interested about GRRM's part in how this season went. Did he rubber stamp the ending? Does this change how he moves forward with the books?


Pretty sure he's had nothing to do with it since the things he told them years ago (Hodor reveal, Shireen burning, something from Season 8 (guessing nuking KL) and the basics of his end (what he had in mind at the time).


Shireen burning came from Martin??? I figured that was the Double D’s just going for shock value.

Awful.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 70581
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1267
x 2597

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Derwood » Mon May 20, 2019 2:50 am

Brian wrote:
Derwood wrote:I will be really interested about GRRM's part in how this season went. Did he rubber stamp the ending? Does this change how he moves forward with the books?


Pretty sure he's had nothing to do with it since the things he told them years ago (Hodor reveal, Shireen burning, something from Season 8 (guessing nuking KL) and the basics of his end (what he had in mind at the time).


He's still credited as a producer, though, which means he has SOME input
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37642
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1283
x 1633

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 2:50 am

Doesn’t Naath have some infectious disease that kills foreigners? Missandei never tell idiot Grey Worm that part?
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60840
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2982
x 10422

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 20, 2019 2:50 am

OleMissCub wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
Expound please

On what? The first half was good, the second half was unimaginably bad. Like worse than my worst fears.


In that case I’m genuinely asking you to explain why you hated the second half. I respect your GOT takes so I’d like to hear it.

I don’t know what else I can say. It was horrible. Bran? “Why else would I come this far?” Bronn? Just, I can’t express how terribly pathetic that writing was.

The first half had me intrigued. They were a bit heavy handed justifying the Dany meltdown, but ok. I was with it, then the Tyrion trial where everybody just decided to stop acting and the writers moved on to their confederate circle jerk.

My entire body deflated watching that scene and I was done. It tried to save it with a weak ass Jon rubs his dogs chin scene but no, that was beyond salvageable. I genuinely did not think it could be that bad.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37642
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1283
x 1633

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 2:51 am

Derwood wrote:
Brian wrote:
Derwood wrote:I will be really interested about GRRM's part in how this season went. Did he rubber stamp the ending? Does this change how he moves forward with the books?


Pretty sure he's had nothing to do with it since the things he told them years ago (Hodor reveal, Shireen burning, something from Season 8 (guessing nuking KL) and the basics of his end (what he had in mind at the time).


He's still credited as a producer, though, which means he has SOME input


Incorrect. Having a producer credit is just another method for him to get mailbox money.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 70581
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1267
x 2597

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Derwood » Mon May 20, 2019 2:51 am

OleMissCub wrote:
Brian wrote:
Derwood wrote:I will be really interested about GRRM's part in how this season went. Did he rubber stamp the ending? Does this change how he moves forward with the books?


Pretty sure he's had nothing to do with it since the things he told them years ago (Hodor reveal, Shireen burning, something from Season 8 (guessing nuking KL) and the basics of his end (what he had in mind at the time).


Shireen burning came from Martin??? I figured that was the Double D’s just going for shock value.

Awful.


You doubt that an author who is notorious for heartlessly killing characters off in horrible ways would draw the line at burning Shireen?
0 x

User avatar
Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6632
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:40 am
Location: In a Glass Case of Emotion
x 22
x 262

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon May 20, 2019 2:52 am

The ending was too tidy for me and nothing really happened in the entire last half of the episode. I was hoping for one last betrayal or plot twist, with at least a semi-dark conclusion. ASOIAF never felt like a series that should tie up all loose ends and finish happily ever after, and they pretty much did just that. I'm really interested though to see whether the books (if ever finished) will follow a similar path, or did GRRM have a completely different vision?
1 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60840
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2982
x 10422

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 20, 2019 2:53 am

Derwood wrote:
Brian wrote:
Derwood wrote:I will be really interested about GRRM's part in how this season went. Did he rubber stamp the ending? Does this change how he moves forward with the books?


Pretty sure he's had nothing to do with it since the things he told them years ago (Hodor reveal, Shireen burning, something from Season 8 (guessing nuking KL) and the basics of his end (what he had in mind at the time).


He's still credited as a producer, though, which means he has SOME input

It means he created the show.

And he couldnt figure out how to end it so he had two nimrods do it figure out what not to do.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 70581
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1267
x 2597

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Derwood » Mon May 20, 2019 2:53 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:On what? The first half was good, the second half was unimaginably bad. Like worse than my worst fears.


In that case I’m genuinely asking you to explain why you hated the second half. I respect your GOT takes so I’d like to hear it.

I don’t know what else I can say. It was horrible. Bran? “Why else would I come this far?” Bronn? Just, I can’t express how terribly pathetic that writing was.

The first half had me intrigued. They were a bit heavy handed justifying the Dany meltdown, but ok. I was with it, then the Tyrion trial where everybody just decided to stop acting and the writers moved on to their confederate circle jerk.

My entire body deflated watching that scene and I was done. It tried to save it with a weak ass Jon rubs his dogs chin scene but no, that was beyond salvageable. I genuinely did not think it could be that bad.


I agree that the writing of the "meeting of the seven kingdoms" scene was pretty bad. But I'm not sure what all the better ways to end it would be. I'm down with the idea that someone besides Dany/Jon/Tyrion/Sansa ends up the ruler. I also like the North splitting off and doing their own thing
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 70581
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1267
x 2597

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Derwood » Mon May 20, 2019 2:55 am

Irrelevant Dude wrote:The ending was too tidy for me and nothing really happened in the entire last half of the episode. I was hoping for one last betrayal or plot twist, with at least a semi-dark conclusion. ASOIAF never felt like a series that should tie up all loose ends and finish happily ever after, and they pretty much did just that. I'm really interested though to see whether the books (if ever finished) will follow a similar path, or did GRRM have a completely different vision?


I think that your 20 minutes of "tying up loose ends" will be 1000 pages of it in book form
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60840
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2982
x 10422

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 20, 2019 2:56 am

Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
In that case I’m genuinely asking you to explain why you hated the second half. I respect your GOT takes so I’d like to hear it.

I don’t know what else I can say. It was horrible. Bran? “Why else would I come this far?” Bronn? Just, I can’t express how terribly pathetic that writing was.

The first half had me intrigued. They were a bit heavy handed justifying the Dany meltdown, but ok. I was with it, then the Tyrion trial where everybody just decided to stop acting and the writers moved on to their confederate circle jerk.

My entire body deflated watching that scene and I was done. It tried to save it with a weak ass Jon rubs his dogs chin scene but no, that was beyond salvageable. I genuinely did not think it could be that bad.


I agree that the writing of the "meeting of the seven kingdoms" scene was pretty bad. But I'm not sure what all the better ways to end it would be. I'm down with the idea that someone besides Dany/Jon/Tyrion/Sansa ends up the ruler. I also like the North splitting off and doing their own thing
the one area that more or less was going it’s own thing, dorne, just decides to follow bran while the north decided to be free?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37642
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1283
x 1633

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 2:58 am

Derwood wrote:
Irrelevant Dude wrote:The ending was too tidy for me and nothing really happened in the entire last half of the episode. I was hoping for one last betrayal or plot twist, with at least a semi-dark conclusion. ASOIAF never felt like a series that should tie up all loose ends and finish happily ever after, and they pretty much did just that. I'm really interested though to see whether the books (if ever finished) will follow a similar path, or did GRRM have a completely different vision?


I think that your 20 minutes of "tying up loose ends" will be 1000 pages of it in book form


I believe Martin has flat out said that the ending of the books won’t really be the true ending, it’ll be a secondary ending following the main ending much like how the Scouring of the Shire ended LOTR. So I expect there will be a final adventure of some sort AFTER Dany is killed.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 1222
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 500
x 670

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Bertz » Mon May 20, 2019 2:58 am

6 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 70581
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1267
x 2597

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Derwood » Mon May 20, 2019 2:58 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:I don’t know what else I can say. It was horrible. Bran? “Why else would I come this far?” Bronn? Just, I can’t express how terribly pathetic that writing was.

The first half had me intrigued. They were a bit heavy handed justifying the Dany meltdown, but ok. I was with it, then the Tyrion trial where everybody just decided to stop acting and the writers moved on to their confederate circle jerk.

My entire body deflated watching that scene and I was done. It tried to save it with a weak ass Jon rubs his dogs chin scene but no, that was beyond salvageable. I genuinely did not think it could be that bad.


I agree that the writing of the "meeting of the seven kingdoms" scene was pretty bad. But I'm not sure what all the better ways to end it would be. I'm down with the idea that someone besides Dany/Jon/Tyrion/Sansa ends up the ruler. I also like the North splitting off and doing their own thing
the one area that more or less was going it’s own thing, dorne, just decides to follow bran while the north decided to be free?


The biggest problem with that scene was that the rulers of the Seven Kingdoms decided to go with the first plan that someone said, and that plan came from the guy who everyone hates (and is also a prisoner)
1 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60840
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2982
x 10422

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 20, 2019 3:00 am



5 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 34460
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 2005
x 2086

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon May 20, 2019 3:01 am

Bran as undisputed king of the new southern-only kingdom is possibly the stupidest ending to a story I’ve ever seen.

Alao, after all that stuff about the pack surviving over the lone wolf, every Stark kid is as far apart from each other as possible
3 x

User avatar
Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6632
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:40 am
Location: In a Glass Case of Emotion
x 22
x 262

Re: RE: Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon May 20, 2019 3:01 am

Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:
I agree that the writing of the "meeting of the seven kingdoms" scene was pretty bad. But I'm not sure what all the better ways to end it would be. I'm down with the idea that someone besides Dany/Jon/Tyrion/Sansa ends up the ruler. I also like the North splitting off and doing their own thing
the one area that more or less was going it’s own thing, dorne, just decides to follow bran while the north decided to be free?


The biggest problem with that scene was that the rulers of the Seven Kingdoms decided to go with the first plan that someone said, and that plan came from the guy who everyone hates (and is also a prisoner)
But he had TWO WHOLE WEEKS to think about it. How could anyone ever come up with something better???
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60840
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2982
x 10422

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 20, 2019 3:02 am

Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:
I agree that the writing of the "meeting of the seven kingdoms" scene was pretty bad. But I'm not sure what all the better ways to end it would be. I'm down with the idea that someone besides Dany/Jon/Tyrion/Sansa ends up the ruler. I also like the North splitting off and doing their own thing
the one area that more or less was going it’s own thing, dorne, just decides to follow bran while the north decided to be free?


The biggest problem with that scene was that the rulers of the Seven Kingdoms decided to go with the first plan that someone said, and that plan came from the guy who everyone hates (and is also a prisoner)

Thanks for reminding me of another terrible aspect of this scene/episode
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 28733
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 41
x 4808
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Brian » Mon May 20, 2019 3:03 am

with tv finished, my #1 hope for the books is that Jon being the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna turns out to be a lot more interesting than it was on the show.

For them knowing it supposedly being what put Maritn over the edge in giving them the rights to adapt, they didn't really do much with it. It set everything in motion and Ned lied to his wife and children and Jon for Jon's entire life and all we got was one line from Jon about it right after he learned. From then it was only used as another thing sending Dany over the edge.
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37642
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1283
x 1633

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 3:05 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/tgdadon1/status/1130306164464529408?s=21



I thought they weren’t doing that dumb alt history Confederate show.
0 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 28733
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 41
x 4808
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Brian » Mon May 20, 2019 3:06 am

OleMissCub wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/tgdadon1/status/1130306164464529408?s=21



I thought they weren’t doing that dumb alt history Confederate show.


it's probably not happening, they're doing Star Wars now.
0 x

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 2181
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 3208
x 747

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby cl smooth » Mon May 20, 2019 3:06 am

while on the topic of series finales, what are some of the best?

wire?
mad men?
six feet under?
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37642
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1283
x 1633

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 3:07 am

Brian wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/tgdadon1/status/1130306164464529408?s=21



I thought they weren’t doing that dumb alt history Confederate show.


it's probably not happening, they're doing Star Wars now.


Well at least they won’t get to ruin Star Wars since it’s already ruined
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37642
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1283
x 1633

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 3:07 am

cl smooth wrote:while on the topic of series finales, what are some of the best?

wire?
mad men?
six feet under?


Breaking Bad
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brian, entbird79, Google [Bot], sneakypower, The Logan and 11 guests