Game of Thrones

Brian
Hall of Fame

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Brian » Mon May 20, 2019 2:47 am

Derwood wrote:I will be really interested about GRRM's part in how this season went. Did he rubber stamp the ending? Does this change how he moves forward with the books?

Pretty sure he's had nothing to do with it since the things he told them years ago (Hodor reveal, Shireen burning, something from Season 8 (guessing nuking KL) and the basics of his end (what he had in mind at the time).
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 2:49 am

Brian wrote:
Derwood wrote:I will be really interested about GRRM's part in how this season went. Did he rubber stamp the ending? Does this change how he moves forward with the books?

Pretty sure he's had nothing to do with it since the things he told them years ago (Hodor reveal, Shireen burning, something from Season 8 (guessing nuking KL) and the basics of his end (what he had in mind at the time).

Shireen burning came from Martin??? I figured that was the Double D’s just going for shock value.

Awful.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon May 20, 2019 2:50 am

Brian wrote:

He's still credited as a producer, though, which means he has SOME input
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 2:50 am

Doesn’t Naath have some infectious disease that kills foreigners? Missandei never tell idiot Grey Worm that part?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 20, 2019 2:50 am

OleMissCub wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
Expound please

On what? The first half was good, the second half was unimaginably bad. Like worse than my worst fears.

In that case I’m genuinely asking you to explain why you hated the second half. I respect your GOT takes so I’d like to hear it.

I don’t know what else I can say. It was horrible. Bran? “Why else would I come this far?” Bronn? Just, I can’t express how terribly pathetic that writing was.

The first half had me intrigued. They were a bit heavy handed justifying the Dany meltdown, but ok. I was with it, then the Tyrion trial where everybody just decided to stop acting and the writers moved on to their confederate circle jerk.

My entire body deflated watching that scene and I was done. It tried to save it with a weak ass Jon rubs his dogs chin scene but no, that was beyond salvageable. I genuinely did not think it could be that bad.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 2:51 am

Derwood wrote:
Brian wrote:

Incorrect. Having a producer credit is just another method for him to get mailbox money.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon May 20, 2019 2:51 am

OleMissCub wrote:
Brian wrote:

Shireen burning came from Martin??? I figured that was the Double D’s just going for shock value.

Awful.

You doubt that an author who is notorious for heartlessly killing characters off in horrible ways would draw the line at burning Shireen?
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon May 20, 2019 2:52 am

The ending was too tidy for me and nothing really happened in the entire last half of the episode. I was hoping for one last betrayal or plot twist, with at least a semi-dark conclusion. ASOIAF never felt like a series that should tie up all loose ends and finish happily ever after, and they pretty much did just that. I'm really interested though to see whether the books (if ever finished) will follow a similar path, or did GRRM have a completely different vision?
1 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 20, 2019 2:53 am

Derwood wrote:
Brian wrote:

It means he created the show.

And he couldnt figure out how to end it so he had two nimrods do it figure out what not to do.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon May 20, 2019 2:53 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:On what? The first half was good, the second half was unimaginably bad. Like worse than my worst fears.

In that case I’m genuinely asking you to explain why you hated the second half. I respect your GOT takes so I’d like to hear it.

I don’t know what else I can say. It was horrible. Bran? “Why else would I come this far?” Bronn? Just, I can’t express how terribly pathetic that writing was.

The first half had me intrigued. They were a bit heavy handed justifying the Dany meltdown, but ok. I was with it, then the Tyrion trial where everybody just decided to stop acting and the writers moved on to their confederate circle jerk.

My entire body deflated watching that scene and I was done. It tried to save it with a weak ass Jon rubs his dogs chin scene but no, that was beyond salvageable. I genuinely did not think it could be that bad.

I agree that the writing of the "meeting of the seven kingdoms" scene was pretty bad. But I'm not sure what all the better ways to end it would be. I'm down with the idea that someone besides Dany/Jon/Tyrion/Sansa ends up the ruler. I also like the North splitting off and doing their own thing
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon May 20, 2019 2:55 am

Irrelevant Dude wrote:The ending was too tidy for me and nothing really happened in the entire last half of the episode. I was hoping for one last betrayal or plot twist, with at least a semi-dark conclusion. ASOIAF never felt like a series that should tie up all loose ends and finish happily ever after, and they pretty much did just that. I'm really interested though to see whether the books (if ever finished) will follow a similar path, or did GRRM have a completely different vision?

I think that your 20 minutes of "tying up loose ends" will be 1000 pages of it in book form
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 20, 2019 2:56 am

Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

I agree that the writing of the "meeting of the seven kingdoms" scene was pretty bad. But I'm not sure what all the better ways to end it would be. I'm down with the idea that someone besides Dany/Jon/Tyrion/Sansa ends up the ruler. I also like the North splitting off and doing their own thing
the one area that more or less was going it’s own thing, dorne, just decides to follow bran while the north decided to be free?
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 2:58 am

Derwood wrote:
Irrelevant Dude wrote:The ending was too tidy for me and nothing really happened in the entire last half of the episode. I was hoping for one last betrayal or plot twist, with at least a semi-dark conclusion. ASOIAF never felt like a series that should tie up all loose ends and finish happily ever after, and they pretty much did just that. I'm really interested though to see whether the books (if ever finished) will follow a similar path, or did GRRM have a completely different vision?

I think that your 20 minutes of "tying up loose ends" will be 1000 pages of it in book form

I believe Martin has flat out said that the ending of the books won’t really be the true ending, it’ll be a secondary ending following the main ending much like how the Scouring of the Shire ended LOTR. So I expect there will be a final adventure of some sort AFTER Dany is killed.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon May 20, 2019 2:58 am

6 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon May 20, 2019 2:58 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:I don’t know what else I can say. It was horrible. Bran? “Why else would I come this far?” Bronn? Just, I can’t express how terribly pathetic that writing was.

the one area that more or less was going it’s own thing, dorne, just decides to follow bran while the north decided to be free?

The biggest problem with that scene was that the rulers of the Seven Kingdoms decided to go with the first plan that someone said, and that plan came from the guy who everyone hates (and is also a prisoner)
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 20, 2019 3:00 am

5 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon May 20, 2019 3:01 am

Bran as undisputed king of the new southern-only kingdom is possibly the stupidest ending to a story I’ve ever seen.

Alao, after all that stuff about the pack surviving over the lone wolf, every Stark kid is as far apart from each other as possible
3 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon May 20, 2019 3:01 am

Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:

The biggest problem with that scene was that the rulers of the Seven Kingdoms decided to go with the first plan that someone said, and that plan came from the guy who everyone hates (and is also a prisoner)
But he had TWO WHOLE WEEKS to think about it. How could anyone ever come up with something better???
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 20, 2019 3:02 am

Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Thanks for reminding me of another terrible aspect of this scene/episode
1 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon May 20, 2019 3:03 am

with tv finished, my #1 hope for the books is that Jon being the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna turns out to be a lot more interesting than it was on the show.

For them knowing it supposedly being what put Maritn over the edge in giving them the rights to adapt, they didn't really do much with it. It set everything in motion and Ned lied to his wife and children and Jon for Jon's entire life and all we got was one line from Jon about it right after he learned. From then it was only used as another thing sending Dany over the edge.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 3:05 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/tgdadon1/status/1130306164464529408?s=21

I thought they weren’t doing that dumb alt history Confederate show.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon May 20, 2019 3:06 am

OleMissCub wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/tgdadon1/status/1130306164464529408?s=21

it's probably not happening, they're doing Star Wars now.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Mon May 20, 2019 3:06 am

while on the topic of series finales, what are some of the best?

wire?
mad men?
six feet under?
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 3:07 am

Brian wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

it's probably not happening, they're doing Star Wars now.

Well at least they won’t get to ruin Star Wars since it’s already ruined
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 20, 2019 3:07 am

cl smooth wrote:while on the topic of series finales, what are some of the best?

wire?
mad men?
six feet under?

Breaking Bad
0 x

Return to “Social”