Game of Thrones

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:00 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
Derwood wrote:Brace yourselves.....a Game of Thrones prequel is filming

though technically a prequel in the true sense of the word, it seems almost silly to call it that since it is set thousands of years in the past. It will be interesting to see how the costumes and sets look. If you had a show set during the 1400's (the century that GOT is an analog for) and jumped back two thousand years you'd be a century or so older than the Persian Wars. So it'll be cool to see how the GOT universe looked a few thousand years back.

westeros isn't earth
4 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:24 pm

And we’ve already seen the children of the forest and the first men....so it’ll be more of that
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:11 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
Derwood wrote:Brace yourselves.....a Game of Thrones prequel is filming

though technically a prequel in the true sense of the word, it seems almost silly to call it that since it is set thousands of years in the past. It will be interesting to see how the costumes and sets look. If you had a show set during the 1400's (the century that GOT is an analog for) and jumped back two thousand years you'd be a century or so older than the Persian Wars. So it'll be cool to see how the GOT universe looked a few thousand years back.

westeros isn't earth

Did I say it was?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:33 pm

0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:55 pm

not my fault gooney and/or you have reading comprehension problems. GOT/ASOIAF's main story is an analog for the War of the Roses. GRRM has stated this numerous times. Everyone in this thread knows that. As such, the technology level presented in the books and the series is roughly analogous to the later half of the 15th century. Thus, I'm interested to see if they continue to make the technology level analogous to our history i.e. will thousands of years in their past look like thousands of years in our past.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:58 pm

OleMissCub wrote:not my fault gooney and/or you have reading comprehension problems. GOT/ASOIAF's main story is an analog for the War of the Roses. GRRM has stated this numerous times. Everyone in this thread knows that. As such, the technology level presented in the books and the series is roughly analogous to the later half of the 15th century. Thus, I'm interested to see if they continue to make the technology level analogous to our history i.e. will thousands of years in their past look like thousands of years in our past.

Except not all cultures in the ASOIAF universe are in that same timeline. Are all of the costumes/technologies/etc. consistent in Dorne? Mereen? Braavos?

Just because Martin picked a rough period in history to base his universe on doesn't mean that the timelines there will/should match ours. I don't expect that a GoT story set 600 years after the Battle of Winterfell will include cars and computers
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:08 am

Derwood wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:not my fault gooney and/or you have reading comprehension problems. GOT/ASOIAF's main story is an analog for the War of the Roses. GRRM has stated this numerous times. Everyone in this thread knows that. As such, the technology level presented in the books and the series is roughly analogous to the later half of the 15th century. Thus, I'm interested to see if they continue to make the technology level analogous to our history i.e. will thousands of years in their past look like thousands of years in our past.

Except not all cultures in the ASOIAF universe are in that same timeline. Are all of the costumes/technologies/etc. consistent in Dorne? Mereen? Braavos?

Just because Martin picked a rough period in history to base his universe on doesn't mean that the timelines there will/should match ours. I don't expect that a GoT story set 600 years after the Battle of Winterfell will include cars and computers

Huh? Actually they are on the same timeline. Yes, the technology levels of Dorne, Mereen, and Braavos are also consistent with the late Middle Ages and with the rest of Westeros. Can you point to something in those places that isn't on the same timeline as the others?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:31 am

OleMissCub wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Huh? Actually they are on the same timeline. Yes, the technology levels of Dorne, Mereen, and Braavos are also consistent with the late Middle Ages and with the rest of Westeros. Can you point to something in those places that isn't on the same timeline as the others?

Dragons, zombies, faceless men, giants...
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:45 am

Derwood wrote:
Dragons, zombies, faceless men, giants...

You're trying to be clever and it isn't working.

Derwood wrote:Are all of the costumes/technologies/etc. consistent in Dorne? Mereen? Braavos?

This is what we're discussing per your own question, not dragons or ice monsters.

You stated pretty definitively that they aren't on the same timeline with Westeros. So I'll ask you again to tell me something that isn't consistent with the costumes or technology between those places and Westeros. What technology/costumes/etc are not consistent with those places being analogous to the late Middle Ages?
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:58 am

Starbucks
6 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:37 pm

“We shot a scene that never made it into Season 7, which was where I lose the baby,” said [Lena Heady]. “And it was a really kind of traumatic, great moment for Cersei, and it never made it in. And I kind of loved doing that because it would’ve served her differently.”
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:00 am

answer my question Derwood.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:56 am

1. Banking
2. Religion
3. Stability of kingdoms
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:45 am

Derwood wrote:1. Banking
2. Religion
3. Stability of kingdoms

Sigh.

Culture/Society/Politics is not the same as technology. Iraq is different in a million ways from the United States but we still exist in the same technological timeline. We have iPhones and so do they. They sail around in caravels in Westeros and so do people from Mereen.

All of the societies that we hang around with in Game of Thrones are on the same technological timeline. Even the Dothraki are based on Middle Age nomadic warriors that were rampaging around the Asian Steppe at that time.

Also, I'm sure if you asked GRRM if he would envision Westeros having cars and airplanes 600 years in the future he'd look at you like you were stupid and then ask "why would you think technology would be stagnant for half a millennium?"
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:16 am

OleMissCub wrote:
2. Religion
3. Stability of kingdoms

Sigh.

Culture/Society/Politics is not the same as technology. Iraq is different in a million ways from the United States but we still exist in the same technological timeline. We have iPhones and so do they. They sail around in caravels in Westeros and so do people from Mereen.

All of the societies that we hang around with in Game of Thrones are on the same technological timeline. Even the Dothraki are based on Middle Age nomadic warriors that were rampaging around the Asian Steppe at that time.

Also, I'm sure if you asked GRRM if he would envision Westeros having cars and airplanes 600 years in the future he'd look at you like you were stupid and then ask "why would you think technology would be stagnant for half a millennium?"

Have you read the History of ASOIAF book?
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:53 am

Derwood wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
2. Religion
3. Stability of kingdoms

Sigh.

Have you read the History of ASOIAF book?

I have not. Does it explain why you are mistaking cultural differences for technological differences?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:05 am

It details how technology isn’t mirroring real history. It answers your question about the prequel.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:13 am

Derwood wrote:It details how technology isn’t mirroring real history. It answers your question about the prequel.

That's nice, but you've still not answered my question. HOW is Dorne or Braavos or Mereen on a different technological level than the other kingdoms of Westeros?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:22 am

Why are you being a dick about this?
0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:23 am

Now I want to see a modern day Westeros.
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:29 am

Did you guys know they yelled fire even though there were no guns? That's how you know OMC is wrong. Simple science.
2 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:51 am

NonProfitCow wrote:Did you guys know they yelled fire even though there were no guns? That's how you know OMC is wrong. Simple science.

I believe I already pointed that out. For some reason they yell "fire!" in Season 8 instead of the more appropriate "loose!" that they used in seasons 1-7.
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:54 am

jesus
2 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:58 am

Derwood wrote:Why are you being a dick about this?

Because I'm bored.

Going back to the original topic of the prequels, surely it won't look late Medieval like GOT. That would be ludicrous. Even dumb viewers would be like "I thought this was thousands of years earlier, why does everything look similar?" However, I don't think they'll go straight Bronze Age on us. I imagine it'll look more Dark Ages than anything else i.e. The Last Kingdom.

I think a Robert's Rebellion prequel would be really good. We'd get to meet a lot of characters who we never met in the show, like Jon Arynn, Mad King, Rhaegar, Elia Martell, Hoster Tully, etc. The Tourney at Harenhaal would be a great sequence.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:59 am

NonProfitCow wrote:jesus

he's not in GOT
0 x

Return to “Social”