Guess what an idiot with a gun did this time

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Re: Guess what an idiot with a gun did this time

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:26 pm

squally1313 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

That statistics isn’t important at all and really means nothing related to gun control. Most of the people who own guns use them for hunting and do not live in cities, most people don’t hunt and live in metropolitan areas. I own 2 shotguns, 2 rifles, and 2 handguns, each serving a different purpose.

I get that I'm as much of an urban snowflake as there is, but, sorry, there's no way anyone's life in America in 2017 requires six different types of guns.

There's gotta be way more than 6 different types of bears
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:29 pm

scarey wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
CubinNY wrote:That statistics isn’t important at all and really means nothing related to gun control.

Why wouldn't it matter that most Americans don't own a gun? One of the loudest arguments/sentiments/implications of stricter gun control is how it would threaten/anger seemingly scores of gun owners that dominate the country.

I can't wait till the next time I hear about how we have to have guns in case we need to protect ourselves from our own government. Not only was it a dumb argument before, but now that I know more than 3 of every 4 people don't own one, it's even sillier.

I find that argument funny too, considering most of these gun nuts are pro military. If the government really wanted you dead they could do it with ease no matter how big your arsenal is.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:39 pm

they are literally going to be taking guns to a drone fight. the 2nd amendment has lost
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Brian707 wrote:
scarey wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Why wouldn't it matter that most Americans don't own a gun? One of the loudest arguments/sentiments/implications of stricter gun control is how it would threaten/anger seemingly scores of gun owners that dominate the country.

I can't wait till the next time I hear about how we have to have guns in case we need to protect ourselves from our own government. Not only was it a dumb argument before, but now that I know more than 3 of every 4 people don't own one, it's even sillier.

I find that argument funny too, considering most of these gun nuts are pro military. If the government really wanted you dead they could do it with ease no matter how big your arsenal is.

That just proves that we need access to more powerful weapons not less
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:52 pm

squally1313 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

That statistics isn’t important at all and really means nothing related to gun control. Most of the people who own guns use them for hunting and do not live in cities, most people don’t hunt and live in metropolitan areas. I own 2 shotguns, 2 rifles, and 2 handguns, each serving a different purpose.

I get that I'm as much of an urban snowflake as there is, but, sorry, there's no way anyone's life in America in 2017 requires six different types of guns.

I’m not worried about my life being threatened. If somebody comes in my house they can take what they want, but they’ll have a hard time carrying the safe. My guns are locked away in a safe with trigger locks. This is the problem here, each side has no clue and doesn’t want one. Guns are tools and used for different jobs, just like screw drivers or wrenches. It doesn’t matter how many guns one person owns. It matters what type of gun the person is using. No one in America can legally hunt with an assault rifle and high capacity magazine. Assault rifles job is to kill people in large numbers. High capacity magazines are for shooting lots of billets. They have no sporting purpose. As long neither side wants to find common ground, none will be found.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:01 pm

CubinNY wrote:Guns are tools and used for different jobs, just like screw drivers or wrenches.

8 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:03 pm

CubinNY wrote: This is the problem here, each side has no clue and doesn’t want one. Guns are tools and used for different jobs, just like screw drivers or wrenches. It doesn’t matter how many guns one person owns. It matters what type of gun the person is using. No one in America can legally hunt with an assault rifle and high capacity magazine. Assault rifles job is to kill people in large numbers. High capacity magazines are for shooting lots of billets. They have no sporting purpose. As long neither side wants to find common ground, none will be found.

Stop with this both sides [expletive] ignorance. There is one side not participating in any discussion and it's the gun nut morons.

Guns aren't tools. They are toys and murder weapons. They are nothing like a screwdriver or wrench and it absolutely matters how many one person owns.

Anybody who owns guns is inviting violence into their home, and the more they own the more violence they have capacity for.
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:10 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
CubinNY wrote: This is the problem here, each side has no clue and doesn’t want one. Guns are tools and used for different jobs, just like screw drivers or wrenches. It doesn’t matter how many guns one person owns. It matters what type of gun the person is using. No one in America can legally hunt with an assault rifle and high capacity magazine. Assault rifles job is to kill people in large numbers. High capacity magazines are for shooting lots of billets. They have no sporting purpose. As long neither side wants to find common ground, none will be found.

Stop with this both sides [expletive] ignorance. There is one side not participating in any discussion and it's the gun nut morons.

Guns aren't tools. They are toys and murder weapons. They are nothing like a screwdriver or wrench and it absolutely matters how many one person owns.

Anybody who owns guns is inviting violence into their home, and the more they own the more violence they have capacity for.

There is definitely a one-sided problem here with the gun lobby and a minority of gun owners. Most people recognize that we need to do something about our gun problems. But hyperbolic ignorance isn't going to further that cause.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:13 pm

If you stab someone with a screwdriver, that is an unfortunate result incidental to its intended functions.

If someone is shot by a gun, it did what it was made to do.
3 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:19 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:If you stab someone with a screwdriver, that is an unfortunate result incidental to its intended functions.

If someone is shot by a gun, it did what it was made to do.

Agreed.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:26 pm

As long neither side wants to find common ground, none will be found.

That, in a nutshell, is what American politics is all about. Neither side has any interest in doing anything that would jeopardize their ability to use this issue to rally support.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:30 pm

biittner77 wrote:
As long neither side wants to find common ground, none will be found.

That, in a nutshell, is what American politics is all about. Neither side has any interest in doing anything that would jeopardize their ability to use this issue to rally support.

This is simply not true.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:37 pm

CubinNY wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

There is definitely a one-sided problem here with the gun lobby and a minority of gun owners. Most people recognize that we need to do something about our gun problems. But hyperbolic ignorance isn't going to further that cause.

78% of Americans don't own a gun, but you somehow require 6 different types of guns for 6 different jobs?

I understand that you've been very rational about this (and in general on the board), so I apologize if it sounds like I'm attacking you personally. But I think it's people with your mindset that bring the pro-gun/pro-2nd Amendment support from a fringe group of 'gun nuts' to a large enough part of the population where it's accepted as almost a republican/democrat debate.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:32 pm

squally1313 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

78% of Americans don't own a gun, but you somehow require 6 different types of guns for 6 different jobs?

I understand that you've been very rational about this (and in general on the board), so I apologize if it sounds like I'm attacking you personally. But I think it's people with your mindset that bring the pro-gun/pro-2nd Amendment support from a fringe group of 'gun nuts' to a large enough part of the population where it's accepted as almost a republican/democrat debate.

You don't understand why someone would have different types of guns. That should be your question and you should have stopped there. Instead, you created some nonsensical string of words together in an attempt to make some sort of a point. The data are clear, the majority of people support background checks, waiting periods, and an assault weapons ban in addition to other safety measures. Whether one is a gun owner or not, most people are for common sense legislation. We need people with political courage to start running on these types of issues and who can speak to people from a position of common ground.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:38 pm

squally1313 wrote:78% of Americans don't own a gun, but you somehow require 6 different types of guns for 6 different jobs?

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:42 pm

CubinNY wrote:Whether one is a gun owner or not, most people are for common sense legislation. We need people with political courage to start running on these types of issues and who can speak to people from a position of common ground.

What? That's largely been the Democratic approach to gun control for decades now; they push for all of the things you talk about, yet it's spun by the right into, "THEY'RE GOING TO KICK DOWN YER DOOR AND TAKE YER GUNS" every. Damn. Time. It's extremely disingenuous that we have had and have scores of politicians clamoring for exactly what you're inexplicably complaining that nobody is clamoring for, yet it gets stomped out by the GOP and the NRA every single time.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:47 pm

Don't know how genuine this is but at least a step in the right direction I suppose.....

0 x
Screw Pitchers

scarey
All-Star

Postby scarey » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Don't know how genuine this is but at least a step in the right direction I suppose.....

It has very little impact on the gun lobby, so of course they're for it.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:05 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
CubinNY wrote:Whether one is a gun owner or not, most people are for common sense legislation. We need people with political courage to start running on these types of issues and who can speak to people from a position of common ground.

What? That's largely been the Democratic approach to gun control for decades now; they push for all of the things you talk about, yet it's spun by the right into, "THEY'RE GOING TO KICK DOWN YER DOOR AND TAKE YER GUNS" every. Damn. Time. It's extremely disingenuous that we have had and have scores of politicians clamoring for exactly what you're inexplicably complaining that nobody is clamoring for, yet it gets stomped out by the GOP and the NRA every single time.

Red state Dems hold blame too
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:08 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Red state Dems hold blame too

This is true. I can't stand those turds. Most of the time it's, like, why bother? You're obvious DINOs all the way.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:17 pm

CubinNY wrote:
squally1313 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:There is definitely a one-sided problem here with the gun lobby and a minority of gun owners. Most people recognize that we need to do something about our gun problems. But hyperbolic ignorance isn't going to further that cause.

You don't understand why someone would have different types of guns. That should be your question and you should have stopped there. Instead, you created some nonsensical string of words together in an attempt to make some sort of a point. The data are clear, the majority of people support background checks, waiting periods, and an assault weapons ban in addition to other safety measures. Whether one is a gun owner or not, most people are for common sense legislation. We need people with political courage to start running on these types of issues and who can speak to people from a position of common ground.

Fine, I'll bite. Why do you need 6 different types of guns?
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:22 pm

Specifically the multiple handguns
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:24 pm

squally1313 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

Fine, I'll bite. Why do you need 6 different types of guns?

Gun #1: makeup gun.

4 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Guns #2 & 3: jetpack.

0 x

MWV
All-Star

Postby MWV » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:38 pm

CubinNY wrote:I own 2 shotguns, 2 rifles, and 2 handguns, each serving a different purpose.

I assume this is a "his and hers" situation?
1 x

Return to “Social”