Guess what an idiot with a gun did this time

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Guess what an idiot with a gun did this time

Postby David » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:34 pm

i've brought it up a time or two before, but i've never been a ban all guns person, and I've never been anything remotely resembling a gun enthusiast. my dad owned guns, one of my brothers does...i've never been into it (my dad took me to a range once when i was in my teens - wasn't for me), but i'm not entirely sheltered from it - though i think the "hobby" is pretty weird. at any rate, at this point my only thought is, even though i'm far from certain that banning or severely restricting gun ownership would fix the problem entirely, i'm damn sure that it won't make anything worse than it is now.

so horsefeathers it...ban 'em all.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:34 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:I would hope Michael Ian Black can do some travelling and figure out how the rest of the world fixed Men's insecuries, and thus, managed to prevent all of these mass shootings.

The rest of the world took away guns, which is what he's saying. He's just saying that there's another issue with toxic masculinity that needs to be addressed as well.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Banedon wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:I would hope Michael Ian Black can do some travelling and figure out how the rest of the world fixed Men's insecuries, and thus, managed to prevent all of these mass shootings.

The rest of the world took away guns, which is what he's saying. He's just saying that there's another issue with toxic masculinity that needs to be addressed as well.

yeah, i def think there's some validity to that idea
0 x

bcl412
Superstar

Postby bcl412 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:39 pm

I think there’s a discussion to be had associated with what he’s saying however I’m not sold that it’s connected with mass shootings
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:46 pm

REPUBLICANS: "It's not a gun problem, it's a mental health problem"

ALSO REPUBLICANS: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tr ... al-n727221
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:48 pm

Banedon wrote:

Mass killers are also domestic abusers. Stop ignoring and excusing domestic abuse.

The problem is not that boys are broken. He's making an excuse for abhorrent behavior and pretending society isn't already geared heavily toward catering to boys.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:53 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Mass killers are also domestic abusers. Stop ignoring and excusing domestic abuse.

The problem is not that boys are broken. He's making an excuse for abhorrent behavior and pretending society isn't already geared heavily toward catering to boys.

Addressing toxic masculinity is also addressing domestic abuse. Of course society is already heavily catered to boys/men. That doesn't mean that there's not a problem to be fixed.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:58 pm

David wrote:
Banedon wrote:

yeah, i def think there's some validity to that idea

I agree with goony. Macho bull horsefeathers has been around forever. The things that are different are (1) these guys now have role models, other shooters, (2) easy access to weapons of mass destruction. The main problem now is these guys have been shown the way by previous shooters (I'm almost sure none of you will agree).

We can and should make high capacity magazines illegal for private gun owners to have or use, immediately take these weapons off the shelves and destroy them, force gun makers, sellers, and owners to purchase liability insurance, make gun owners take safety classes before purchasing guns and require that they show proof they have a means for safe storage (i.e., gun safes and trigger locks), and invest massive amounts of money into research to help us treat the behavior problems associated with these killing sprees.

We will do nothing but argue.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:59 pm

I don't see "number of toxic men" on either axis of this chart
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:02 pm

Derwood wrote:I don't see "number of toxic men" on either axis of this chart

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Toxic masculinity is a thing that exists worldwide.

Mass murdering gun nuts is not.

"Fixing" toxic masculinity is a fine concept that probably won't actually be able to happen and won't prevent violent gun deaths.

Michael Ian Black used a twitter thread to say nothing while excusing bad behavior in men by blaming society.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:14 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Toxic masculinity is a thing that exists worldwide.

Mass murdering gun nuts is not.

"Fixing" toxic masculinity is a fine concept that probably won't actually be able to happen and won't prevent violent gun deaths.

Michael Ian Black used a twitter thread to say nothing while excusing bad behavior in men by blaming society.

I think it would help prevent violent gun deaths if you could snap your fingers and "fix" toxic masculinity, but it's certainly not a quick fix, if it can be fixed at all. Removing guns is absolutely the faster, more necessary answer, without a doubt.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:18 pm

Didn't he lead with the idea that guns need to be fixed because we can't fix men?
2 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:I don't see "number of toxic men" on either axis of this chart

And what about the dozens and dozens of other countries that also have massive problems with violence towards women and toxic masculinity that don't have people shooting up schools every week?
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Derwood wrote:And what about the dozens and dozens of other countries that also have massive problems with violence towards women and toxic masculinity that don't have people shooting up schools every week?

This has been covered.

viewtopic.php?p=243104#p243104
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:54 pm

the nra only spends like $10m a year "buying off" politicians. Why can't some group out-bribe them? Pay off politicians to introduce anti-gun legislation. The rubes just do what these people tell them to anyway. You're telling me some group can't raise $50m a year and just continue to pump it into lawmaker coffers until it makes a difference?
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:03 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:the nra only spends like $10m a year "buying off" politicians. Why can't some group out-bribe them? Pay off politicians to introduce anti-gun legislation. The rubes just do what these people tell them to anyway. You're telling me some group can't raise $50m a year and just continue to pump it into lawmaker coffers until it makes a difference?

Doesn't the NRA contribute a LOT more than that in difficult-to-trace funds? Wasn't the NRA used by the Russians to funnel a lot of money into Republican campaigns this last go around? With all of the other scandals I forget the exact details, but 10m seems low.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Look at what the GOP does with reproductive health. They try every year to nibble away it’s existence. Why can’t the Democrats do that with sensible gun laws?
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:05 pm

CubinNY wrote:Look at what the GOP does with reproductive health. They try every year to nibble away it’s existence. Why can’t the Democrats do that with sensible gun laws?

The Supreme Court.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:06 pm

CubinNY wrote:Look at what the GOP does with reproductive health. They try every year to nibble away it’s existence. Why can’t the Democrats do that with sensible gun laws?

Because education costs money and negligence costs little to nothing? (Except in the case where Trump wants to spend millions of dollars on abstinence education.)
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:03 pm

Always relevant:

0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:41 pm

0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Guess what an idiot with a gun did this time

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:53 pm

When someone is out of touch with right or wrong, their only way of finding solid ground in an ethical argument is to point at the most extreme outcomes.

Narcissistic Republicans need school massacres because it makes it easy to point at the bad guy. The guy killing everyone is clearly the bad guy, not us!
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:56 pm

Democrats suck at turning this into a political issue. This isn't a difficult equation in regards to number of mass shootings combined with no gun control. Nothing has changed since Columbine.

The 1st step is taking back the House, Senate, and presidency by 2020.

Just like we seen 10 years ago, Democrats could become paralyzed or hungover again.

This is a legislative issue as well as a political issue.

The media and democrats will passively dispute the GOP scapegoat on mental health and mass murder, yet let their health care plans slash funding and resources for mental health services. No one holds them accountable, has there been any GOP politician that introduced increased funding for it? Of coursenot.

Hell, the Tangerine Toucher and his budget is trying to significantly reduce school safety.

Hope that gutting social services for tax wealthy and theextra 20 oz bottle of coke per week that goes to the middle class was worth it.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:11 pm

0 x

Return to “Social”