Guess what an idiot with a gun did this time

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Re: Guess what an idiot with a gun did this time

Postby CubInOK » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:11 pm

Ban LCCF, Tim. He just apologized for an anti-Semite.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:17 pm

CubInOK wrote:Ban LCCF, Tim. He just apologized for an anti-Semite.

I read it as saying that "Trump isn't to blame here" instead of apologizing for the shooter. Still not a great look, but not as bad as the other interpretation.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:52 pm

How New York Times of you, Timbo.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:03 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:How New York Times of you, Timbo.

Yes, clearly I'm awful.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:07 pm

2 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:38 pm

A month after he had ordered his trolls to attack me, white supremacist Andrew Anglin told the HuffPost what he thought of Trump’s refusal to denounce them. “We interpret that as an endorsement,” he said. To his readers, he wrote, “Glorious Leader Donald Trump Refuses to Denounce Stormer Troll Army.” When President Trump blamed “both sides” for Charlottesville, his supporters heard him loud and clear: “I knew Trump was eventually going to be like, meh, whatever,” Anglin said. “Trump only disavowed us at the point of a Jewish weapon. So I’m not disavowing him.” Many others in the alt-right praised Trump’s statement as moral equivocation on Charlottesville. To them, this, rather than the forced, obligatory condemnation, was the important signal.

When Trump called himself a nationalist in Houston last week, the alt-right knew exactly what he meant. One alt-right commenter was elated because nationalism “is inherently connected to race.” Another wrote that he was “literally shaking” with glee. Still another wrote “THE FIRE RISES.”
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:02 pm

Thoughts from my Jewish immigrant friend:

For every single one of us, no exaggeration or exception, and especially those of us born in Europe, attacks like these are not singular events. They’re part of a long pattern going back as far as our family stories go. In Russia, in Germany, in Poland, etc. Jews were frequently attacked, beaten, and killed by the local population, with the local government at least permitting, if not actively supporting. We were Other, at best tolerated misfits and at worst despised Christ-killing international-finance-controlling subhuman vermin. Where we survived, we only survived because the local population let us survive. The Holocaust happened not just because the Nazis actively pursued industrial-scale extermination but also because the local population - the vast majority of whom weren’t Nazis per se - let it happen.

America was, has always been, and (still) is different. In America, there are no Germans or Russians or Poles or English or French or Irish or Bangladeshi or Spanish or African or whatever. There are only Americans, who ethnically can be anything whatsoever and still get to be Americans, equal under the law to all other Americans. At least that’s the ideal. The struggle for civil rights and gender rights and LGBTQ rights are all struggles to make the ideal a reality for everyone. It’s all the same struggle to make the “universal” in “universal human rights” true. The current administration’s position with respect to this struggle is another conversation.

So this attack. This was the worst attack on Jews as Jews in American history. It was - let’s just use the right word - a pogrom. This wasn’t just an attack on one synagogue. That Nazi horsefeathers wanted to kill all of us, everywhere, as people like him do.

So this is what's going through our heads. Gentiles, your Jewish friends need explicit, definite reassurance that you are with them and that they are not Other. They need to know that you perceive this as an attack on Americans just like you who happen to be Jewish, and not just the latest pogrom like all the other pogroms.
2 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:27 pm

Derwood wrote:Thoughts from my Jewish immigrant friend:

For every single one of us, no exaggeration or exception, and especially those of us born in Europe, attacks like these are not singular events. They’re part of a long pattern going back as far as our family stories go. In Russia, in Germany, in Poland, etc. Jews were frequently attacked, beaten, and killed by the local population, with the local government at least permitting, if not actively supporting. We were Other, at best tolerated misfits and at worst despised Christ-killing international-finance-controlling subhuman vermin. Where we survived, we only survived because the local population let us survive. The Holocaust happened not just because the Nazis actively pursued industrial-scale extermination but also because the local population - the vast majority of whom weren’t Nazis per se - let it happen.

America was, has always been, and (still) is different. In America, there are no Germans or Russians or Poles or English or French or Irish or Bangladeshi or Spanish or African or whatever. There are only Americans, who ethnically can be anything whatsoever and still get to be Americans, equal under the law to all other Americans. At least that’s the ideal. The struggle for civil rights and gender rights and LGBTQ rights are all struggles to make the ideal a reality for everyone. It’s all the same struggle to make the “universal” in “universal human rights” true. The current administration’s position with respect to this struggle is another conversation.

So this attack. This was the worst attack on Jews as Jews in American history. It was - let’s just use the right word - a pogrom. This wasn’t just an attack on one synagogue. That Nazi horsefeathers wanted to kill all of us, everywhere, as people like him do.

So this is what's going through our heads. Gentiles, your Jewish friends need explicit, definite reassurance that you are with them and that they are not Other. They need to know that you perceive this as an attack on Americans just like you who happen to be Jewish, and not just the latest pogrom like all the other pogroms.

Could say all of this word for word, but put "blacks" instead of "Jews". After Emanuel AME, the "Other" still elected Trump. Unfortunately, this horsefeathers isn't going to change. Too many people simply don't give a horsefeathers.
1 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:19 pm

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:47 am

Another child was killed in Alabama close to my town. She found a loaded gun laying around. Here in Alabama, they arrest women when their babies test positive for trace amounts of drugs, but parents of kids who kill themselves or one of their friends while playing with guns get thoughts and prayers.
Last edited by CubinNY on Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Grandparents in Arizona have custody of 11yo boy. Grandma has a discussion with him about cleaning his room. He comes back with grandpa's gun and shoots her in the head while the grandparents are watching tv. Then he runs off and shoots himself.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/05/us/arizo ... index.html
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Banedon wrote:Grandparents in Arizona have custody of 11yo boy. Grandma has a discussion with him about cleaning his room. He comes back with grandpa's gun and shoots her in the head while the grandparents are watching tv. Then he runs off and shoots himself.

It sounds like there might have been issues going on.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:07 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Banedon wrote:Grandparents in Arizona have custody of 11yo boy. Grandma has a discussion with him about cleaning his room. He comes back with grandpa's gun and shoots her in the head while the grandparents are watching tv. Then he runs off and shoots himself.

Issues like keeping an unlocked loaded gun accessible to an 11yo?
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:10 pm

Yes, it does sound like a family where a grandchild shot a grandmother and then himself had some issues.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:14 pm

I tend to be glib when I read something and feel sad. I'm just saying this isn't one of those situations where having a gun around ruined everything. I'm saying everything was ruined, which is why a loaded gun was lying around.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:16 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I tend to be glib when I read something and feel sad. I'm just saying this isn't one of those situations where having a gun around ruined everything. I'm saying everything was ruined, which is why a loaded gun was lying around.

That's a really weird take.

Having a gun around killed 2 people. I'd say that ruined everything.

Anything prior to that was fixable.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:16 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I tend to be glib when I read something and feel sad. I'm just saying this isn't one of those situations where having a gun around ruined everything. I'm saying everything was ruined, which is why a loaded gun was lying around.

5 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:35 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

If you don't want to get what I am saying that's fine.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:39 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

I'm a firm believe that there are no good gun owners.

If you willingly bring a gun into your house you are willingly increasing the odds that somebody in your family will be shot. So after a couple rereads I think I know what you are saying. But it was quite confusing at first.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:42 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Image

I'm a firm believe that there are no good gun owners.

If you willingly bring a gun into your house you are willingly increasing the odds that somebody in your family will be shot. So after a couple rereads I think I know what you are saying. But it was quite confusing at first.

Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly. I've never held a loaded gun in my life and have no intention of changing that. I do think there are responsible gun owners, but I also think most of them are just scared and weak.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:17 pm

this one will forever be my favorite

1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:12 pm

Someone shot up a country/line dancing bar in Thousand Oaks, California. 13 dead, including the shooter and the first officer to respond.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Cue the "we need more gun control" vs "we need MORE guns" debate that always gets us nowhere.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:41 pm

Old Style wrote:Cue the "we need more gun control" vs "we need MORE guns" debate that always gets us nowhere.

it's the we need more guns people who get us nowhere
8 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:19 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Old Style wrote:Cue the "we need more gun control" vs "we need MORE guns" debate that always gets us nowhere.

it's the we need more guns people who get us nowhere

I'm not even taking sides in the matter but it's insanity to keep doing the same thing over & over and expect anything to change.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Return to “Social”