Video Game Thread

Banedon
Curse You!

Re: Video Game Thread

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:The AC games simply are what they are; beautiful travelogues to explore with some murder mixed in. Just wait for the price to go down/bugs to be patched.

Yep. I'm done paying full price for them. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them when I get around to em.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:The AC games simply are what they are; beautiful travelogues to explore with some murder mixed in. Just wait for the price to go down/bugs to be patched.

Yep. I'm done paying full price for them. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them when I get around to em.

Yup; I got the Paris and London ones waaaaaaaaaaay after the fact and had a blast just running and climbing around exploring the world in them.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Man, reading some of those comments I'm surprised at how many people like the modern day parts of previous AC games. For me, that always seemed tedious and tacked on, and I thought they would have been much better if they dropped all that. I don't know why people talk about like a framing device is necessary; the series can simply be different eras about this line of assassins.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:49 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Man, reading some of those comments I'm surprised at how many people like the modern day parts of previous AC games. For me, that always seemed tedious and tacked on, and I thought they would have been much better if they dropped all that. I don't know why people talk about like a framing device is necessary; the series can simply be different eras about this line of assassins.

I was done with the "modern day" story part of it after the Ezio trilogy. It was clear after that, that they had no idea what to do with that part of it.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:52 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Man, reading some of those comments I'm surprised at how many people like the modern day parts of previous AC games. For me, that always seemed tedious and tacked on, and I thought they would have been much better if they dropped all that. I don't know why people talk about like a framing device is necessary; the series can simply be different eras about this line of assassins.

I was done with the "modern day" story part of it after the Ezio trilogy. It was clear after that, that they had no idea what to do with that part of it.

Yeah, every time they would cut away to that stuff I think I was audibly yelling, "AGAIN?!?"
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:29 pm

I dunno, I got caught up in the modern day story. When
Spoiler: show
Desmond was forced to kill Lucy and it was revealed she was a templar
, it was one of my favorite moments of the series. I don't need it as a framing device, but its how the series was introduced to me originally, some random dude held in a room against his will and forced to use the animus, and the player is trying to figure out why and whose these people were, etc.

However once
Spoiler: show
Desmond was killed and the whole 'end of the world'
storyline ended, there was really nowhere to go with it and any modern day stuff just seemed like it was forced in there. At this point if they have no other story to tell, then I'm fine with just jumping around time periods and telling a new Assassins vs. Templar story each game with no modern day.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:36 pm

IGN gives Super Mario Odyssey a 10/10

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/26/ ... sey-review
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:14 pm

0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:40 pm

stroman being on the canadian cover the the show 18 is going to be weird when he gets traded for russell
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:47 pm

If anybody needs OOTP 18, you can get it for $1 in the Humble Bundle for the next 2 week-ish.

https://www.humblebundle.com/strategy-sim-bundle
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:23 pm

https://kotaku.com/soon-there-will-be-a ... 1820266973

Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, co-developed by Warner Bros. Interactive, will use similar AR mobile tech to Pokemon Go. The press release reads, “By exploring real-world neighborhoods and cities across the globe, players will go on adventures, learn and cast spells, discover mysterious artifacts, and encounter legendary beasts and iconic characters.” They’ll also “team up with others to take down powerful enemies.”
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:15 am

EA made a post on Reddit about microtransactions in the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront II

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.

As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.

We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.

Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.

It now has over 375,00 downvotes, making it by far the least liked comment in Reddit history (and is close to 12x more downvotes than the 2nd place comment)
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:46 am

In case EA was wondering how fans might feel about microtransactions and a glacially slow progression system....

Star Wars Battlefront II has nearly 4300 user scores on Metacritic, adding up to a whopping 0.8/10 score
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:12 am

Derwood wrote:In case EA was wondering how fans might feel about microtransactions and a glacially slow progression system....

Star Wars Battlefront II has nearly 4300 user scores on Metacritic, adding up to a whopping 0.8/10 score

This is all EA cares about...

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/17/wall-st ... -game.html

The company's shares declined 2.5 percent Friday.

"The escalation of EA concessions over the past month are a potential negative indicator of pre-order sales trends and overall unit confidence," analyst Justin Post wrote in a note to clients Friday entitled "In-game purchases benched the night before launch."

The "Star Wars Battlefront II" "bumpy launch week creates incremental risk to early unit sales (initial reviews also underwhelming). … We think unit sales could come in below EA's earlier FY18 outlook for around 14mn units."
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:00 pm

It's so dumb how they shot themselves in the foot yet again over something that should be a no-brainer; the game engine itself is a ton of fun. When you can manage to just play it, it performs beautifully and looks fantastic. The space battles especially were are really well-executed, and I want to play over and over again. And even though I don't care about unlocking special characters, just basic things like what classes you can play as, or weapons or equipment is available, or what skills you have, are so damn confusing messed up by the progress system. I wasn't even looking to try and upgrade, but it basically does it for you at random times, and you seemingly lose features you had gotten used to or preferred using because they're not as "advanced," or now you have to play certain classes because other ones you've leveled up from. It's ridiculous.

The single player action is great, too; just WAY too short. It's a good storyline, good characters, great cut scenes...but you can easily plow through it in two days.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:36 pm

reading up on all the battlefront 2 issues over the last two weeks turned me off from purchasing it. can you play as the heroes and villains from the movies in any of the single player modes?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:02 pm

cl smooth wrote:reading up on all the battlefront 2 issues over the last two weeks turned me off from purchasing it. can you play as the heroes and villains from the movies in any of the single player modes?

You need to unlock all of those characters, which in and of itself isn't a problem. The problem is that EA made it a credit system, and you have to earn thousands of credits just to unlock the basic hero/villain characters, which takes a while since credits are also what you need for the loot crates to upgrade the non-hero/villain characters.

Basically if it was something, like, "beat x number of levels = unlock character," hey, no problem. But instead is a ridiculous system of either earning the credits or paying for them to get these characters (AND the loot boxes so you don't end up just getting slaughtered).
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:18 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
cl smooth wrote:reading up on all the battlefront 2 issues over the last two weeks turned me off from purchasing it. can you play as the heroes and villains from the movies in any of the single player modes?

You need to unlock all of those characters, which in and of itself isn't a problem. The problem is that EA made it a credit system, and you have to earn thousands of credits just to unlock the basic hero/villain characters, which takes a while since credits are also what you need for the loot crates to upgrade the non-hero/villain characters.

Basically if it was something, like, "beat x number of levels = unlock character," hey, no problem. But instead is a ridiculous system of either earning the credits or paying for them to get these characters (AND the loot boxes so you don't end up just getting slaughtered).

I don’t know how accurate this is, but someone posted that you would have to play 40 hours/week for over a year to earn enough credits to unlock everything. HARD PASS. I bought South Park the day it came out and only just beat it last night, and that game is barely 30 hours if you collect everything
0 x

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:14 pm

AC IS THE horsefeathering WORST
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Stannis wrote:AC IS THE horsefeathering WORST

Well you only like Dark Souls games, so....
0 x

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:20 pm

Derwood wrote:
Stannis wrote:AC IS THE horsefeathering WORST

Well you only like Dark Souls games, so....

Not true i liked some other games once. But AC is the horsefeathering worst and it spawned a horsefeathers ton of unaffiliated unfun games that masqueraded as cool before i played them
0 x

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:21 pm

Ie that horrible shadow of mordor diad
0 x

New York Cubs Fan
All-Star

Postby New York Cubs Fan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 am

Stannis wrote:Ie that horrible shadow of mordor diad

Lol those are some of the best games made lately. This is quite a hot take. Get out of here.
Last edited by New York Cubs Fan on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:01 am

Stannis wrote:Ie that horrible shadow of mordor diad

**DRUNK TYPING DETECTED**
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:20 am

Yeah the Mordor games are basically just the Batman games but with LotR. I'm perfectly fine with that.
0 x

Return to “Social”