Video Game Thread

Rob
Superstar

Re: Video Game Thread

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:01 am

I just found out that there's a project called Wabbajack which can automatically install and configure those huge mod packs people put together for games like Skyrim and Fallout 4. It brings 30-40 hours of modding up a fresh install down to a couple hours, mostly just downloading.

I'm already halfway into finally playing Fallout 4, so I'm hesitant to install a bunch of mods and need to start over. But I will definitely be modding the hell out of Skyrim next time.

Also, Fallout 4 is pretty fun. But while I'm enjoying some of the settlement stuff, I'm pretty disappointed by how open-ended it is. I'm not the creative type who wants to put together a whole home from various wall/ceiling/floor segments. I have neither the time nor the energy for that.

There should be some homes you can build from blueprints, and then go into the editor if you want to change things up. Not everybody wants to spend half an hour populating each tiny shack with stools, rugs, paintings, and other misc crap.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:33 pm

the last of us: remastered and mlb the show 19 are the free ps+ games for the month of october so if you don't own either, now's your chance.
0 x

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star

Postby sweetpeteman » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:32 pm

RDR2 coming out on PC Nov 5.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:52 pm

sweetpeteman wrote:RDR2 coming out on PC Nov 5.

1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:09 pm

PS5 officially announced. Release window late/holiday 2020.
1 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:09 pm

Derwood wrote:
Chocolate Milk wrote:I recommend Outer Wilds for those who haven't played it. It's a space exploration game. You are in this little solar system and you are trying to figure out what happened to this other race whose buildings and technology were left behind. There is a log that neatly organizes these different things you have learned and can provide some gentle prods towards something you should look at. No combat, just flying around and trying to find different things. Really cool concept.

Xbox/PC only. Booooo

Coming to PS4 Oct 15th.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:02 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:I recommend Outer Wilds for those who haven't played it. It's a space exploration game. You are in this little solar system and you are trying to figure out what happened to this other race whose buildings and technology were left behind. There is a log that neatly organizes these different things you have learned and can provide some gentle prods towards something you should look at. No combat, just flying around and trying to find different things. Really cool concept.

This just came out for Xbox gamepass.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Banedon wrote:

This just came out for Xbox gamepass.

Came out a while back, actually. Get it while it's still on there.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:45 pm

I'm now realizing you are getting it confused with The Outer Worlds, which is Obsidian's answer to Fallout. This was just released on GamePass (which is super rad). The game we were referring to was The Outer WILDS.

Speaking of THE OUTER WORLDS IS HERE AND I'M HAPPY AF

See you next year.

P.S. Get Game Pass, it's worth every penny.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:47 pm

The Logan wrote:I'm now realizing you are getting it confused with The Outer Worlds, which is Obsidian's answer to Fallout. This was just released on GamePass (which is super rad). The game we were referring to was The Outer WILDS.

See you next year.

I'm so jealous, I went into Gamestop today to pick up my copy and was informed that when I pre-ordered I actually had it shipped to my home instead of store pickup.

I live right next to the store. Now I have to wait like 4 days. horsefeathering dammit
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:58 pm

The Logan wrote:I'm now realizing you are getting it confused with The Outer Worlds, which is Obsidian's answer to Fallout. This was just released on GamePass (which is super rad). The game we were referring to was The Outer WILDS.

See you next year.

Oh, sure enough...I was really confused because Outer Worlds is NOTHING like what he was describing
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:12 pm

The Outer Worlds kicks ass
2 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:02 pm

Butterscup wrote:The Outer Worlds kicks ass

Yes it does. I'm having a horsefeathering blast.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:06 am

The Logan wrote:

Finally went back to Days Gone today and finished the story, so I need a new game.

So....Outer Worlds or Borderlands 3?
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:24 am

Derwood wrote:
The Logan wrote:

Finally went back to Days Gone today and finished the story, so I need a new game.

If you like Fallout and open world RPG's like it from Bethesda, Outer Worlds. If you really like the Borderlands series and loot heavy shooters/RPGs then Borderlands
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:27 am

The Logan wrote:
Derwood wrote:
The Logan wrote:

If you like Fallout and open world RPG's like it from Bethesda, Outer Worlds. If you really like the Borderlands series and loot heavy shooters/RPGs then Borderlands

I like the IDEA of Bethesda games, but often feel like they are way too long and the maps are way too big
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:46 am

Derwood wrote:
The Logan wrote:
Derwood wrote:

I like the IDEA of Bethesda games, but often feel like they are way too long and the maps are way too big

This is like Fallout meets Mass Effect. Big world, made up of smaller locales you can hop between. It's a side quest heavy game, so it'll take up most of your time. That said, thus far, I'm finding the character development and humor in this game to be some of the best I've encountered in a long time.

But if you can't get into Bethesda games then you probably won't like this.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:22 pm

1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:13 pm

How does that get released? Holy hell
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:33 pm

Three times in the last 12 hours my PS4 has given me an error message saying that the Application cannot be used, and to delete game data and reinstall. I have done so, and get the message again. I rebuilt the database through safe mode, and am hoping that fixes it.

Has anyone had this issue? Is my PS4 dying?
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:55 am

I finished Outer Worlds. A few things, non-spoilery:

1) It ended rather abruptly. Not a super long campaign.

2) The ending was not super satisfying. They definitely shoehorned in a major villain that you felt no real emotion towards. Just felt like another task.

3) There is a super annoying glitch (on mine and many others) that crashes the game before encountering a major character near the end of the game and the only way you can avoid it is to send your team members back to the ship, which sucks.

4) I suppose, however, that you can go in an entirely different direction and choose different sides and make different game altering decisions which change the outcome of the game.

5) there is another glitch that doesn't let you finish one of your companions personal quests and said that they died, even though they are with you the entire way, but even during the credits it says they died, and they didn't. That's annoying.

6) Not sure if it happens on other systems or versions of the game, but on Game Pass, it doesn't boot up where you left of when you go into rest mode. You always boot up at the start screen and have to load your game. That's annoying as are the load times.

7) I still really loved the game and intend to do another play through as a real dickbag.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:29 pm

I've only just started Fallen Order (it was my son's b-day present so I'm only able to play it in the rare moments he's not)...but it's gorgeous and very fun.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:50 pm

Early on the new Pokemon's great. Lots of quality of life improvements, and much more importantly they've cut way down on the hand holding from the generation or two prior. I swear in the last one they spent 10 minutes explaining to me that I have a "bag" that can hold "items."
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:44 pm

I don't know if this belongs here, but sorrynotsorry

1 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:06 pm

The Logan wrote:I finished Outer Worlds. A few things, non-spoilery:

1) It ended rather abruptly. Not a super long campaign.

2) The ending was not super satisfying. They definitely shoehorned in a major villain that you felt no real emotion towards. Just felt like another task.

3) There is a super annoying glitch (on mine and many others) that crashes the game before encountering a major character near the end of the game and the only way you can avoid it is to send your team members back to the ship, which sucks.

4) I suppose, however, that you can go in an entirely different direction and choose different sides and make different game altering decisions which change the outcome of the game.

5) there is another glitch that doesn't let you finish one of your companions personal quests and said that they died, even though they are with you the entire way, but even during the credits it says they died, and they didn't. That's annoying.

6) Not sure if it happens on other systems or versions of the game, but on Game Pass, it doesn't boot up where you left of when you go into rest mode. You always boot up at the start screen and have to load your game. That's annoying as are the load times.

7) I still really loved the game and intend to do another play through as a real dickbag.

Interesting perspective. I bounced off this one after a handful of hours. The gameplay elements to me just felt...shallow...or half baked? Hard to explain. Like the loot was all over the place but it was mostly pointless? All the guns were basically the same and didn't really offer any changes to how you would play. The enemies would just straight line charge at you once you aggroed them, etc. None of the perks or traits seemed to matter all that much. Game was also ludicrously easy on the hard setting.

The story was interesting, but I've found that I'm drawn more to fun or interesting gameplay than I am a decent story. This one wasn't for me, I guess.
1 x

Return to “Social”