Video Game Thread

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Re: Video Game Thread

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:02 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Chocolate Milk wrote:
Rob wrote:Apparently a demo for the FF7 remake has dropped. Start the hype.

I played the demo and it was so good I almost cried.

the camera angles were throwing me off at first but the gameplay and graphics are phenomenal. bummer that the remake ends when they leave midgar.

Just seemed like a really fun way to re-explore that game and make it fresh. Barret's voice acting was...interesting. Probably my only complaint from the demo.

I also am bummed that they seem to have no release plan for this. Could take a decade to get the whole thing. I think the best natural ending for the first game would have been Kalm, but whatever.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:21 pm

early release for mlb the show 20 drops at midnight tonight. if we can't have real life baseball, i'll take the video game variety.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:47 pm

cl smooth wrote:early release for mlb the show 20 drops at midnight tonight. if we can't have real life baseball, i'll take the video game variety.

finally a way to enjoy baseball without being constantly annoyed by the cubs
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm

Stocked up on Outer Worlds, Madden, and Super Mario Maker 2 and will probably pick up the Show. Once I get beer I’m ready to be stuck at home.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Bote McBoteface
All-Star

Postby Bote McBoteface » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:31 pm

Random thought: If I was one of the guys in charge of, say, Rocket League, Id be doing everything I can to set up home-based tournaments of top teams and get them aired on ESPN. With no other sports to enjoy and a lot of people stuck at home, it could be huge for e-sports exposure. Espn is showing reruns of 30 for 30s that ive seen 3 times each instead.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:12 am

anybody know if i can jump into nioh 2 easily without playing the first game? bloodborne is the only game of this type that i've played before, and i'm interested in nioh 2 if it's of a comparable difficulty or easier.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:17 am

17 Seconds wrote:anybody know if i can jump into nioh 2 easily without playing the first game? bloodborne is the only game of this type that i've played before, and i'm interested in nioh 2 if it's of a comparable difficulty or easier.

Nioh 1 was the hardest game I ever played, and I gave up on it after a day.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:42 am

Ori and the Will of the Wisps was released, and so far it's amazing with a huge caveat... it's suuuuuper laggy. Read a review that said that, hoped it was just a weird thing they were experiencing, but I'm getting it too. It lags HARD in some areas so far, to the point where it looks like you're playing in slow motion.

It's a real shame because aside from this major issue, it's been another incredible experience out of this franchise.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:17 am

Derwood wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:anybody know if i can jump into nioh 2 easily without playing the first game? bloodborne is the only game of this type that i've played before, and i'm interested in nioh 2 if it's of a comparable difficulty or easier.

Nioh 1 was the hardest game I ever played, and I gave up on it after a day.

i heard nioh 2 was asposed to be a little easier
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:10 pm

The Logan wrote:Ori and the Will of the Wisps was released, and so far it's amazing with a huge caveat... it's suuuuuper laggy. Read a review that said that, hoped it was just a weird thing they were experiencing, but I'm getting it too. It lags HARD in some areas so far, to the point where it looks like you're playing in slow motion.

It's a real shame because aside from this major issue, it's been another incredible experience out of this franchise.

I was having some audio distortions on PC. I've decided to give it a while and see if some patches resolve some of it. I have enough other things to do to wait for it to be right.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:49 pm

Banedon wrote:
The Logan wrote:Ori and the Will of the Wisps was released, and so far it's amazing with a huge caveat... it's suuuuuper laggy. Read a review that said that, hoped it was just a weird thing they were experiencing, but I'm getting it too. It lags HARD in some areas so far, to the point where it looks like you're playing in slow motion.

I was having some audio distortions on PC. I've decided to give it a while and see if some patches resolve some of it. I have enough other things to do to wait for it to be right.

My lag issues have ceased. It might have updated or it just needed a reboot, unsure which it was, but it's playing fine for the most part. And it's glorious.

Also didn't realize Doom Eternal came out. I really shouldn't spend money on video games with an uncertain financial future, but here we are!
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:45 am

The Show 20 is horsefeathering awesome. Got me signature series Ryne Sandberg and he is tearing horsefeathers UP batting second in my lineup!
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:21 am

cl smooth wrote:The Show 20 is horsefeathering awesome. Got me signature series Ryne Sandberg and he is tearing horsefeathers UP batting second in my lineup!

just shipped from gamefly. i'm ready to grind.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:09 am

Jackbox Party Games are a fun way to kill some time right now
0 x

Sosa21MVP
5-Time All-Star

Postby Sosa21MVP » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:42 pm

I was debating getting a Switch and checking out the new Animal Crossing game but the consoles are sold out everywhere and being sold by scalpers on Amazon for $500+. Lame.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:36 am

Sosa21MVP wrote:I was debating getting a Switch and checking out the new Animal Crossing game but the consoles are sold out everywhere and being sold by scalpers on Amazon for $500+. Lame.

I've been playing a fair amount of Smash Ultimate with my 5 and 6 year old girls during the distancing. I'm a monster. (The 6 year old is actually getting pretty handy with Jigglypuff)
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:59 am

Sosa21MVP wrote:I was debating getting a Switch and checking out the new Animal Crossing game but the consoles are sold out everywhere and being sold by scalpers on Amazon for $500+. Lame.

When then are available again at normal price I’m heavily considering getting one.

Any games recommended for both me and my 4 year old? He’s taken a liking to the “emulation station” i have (random old NES, he sucks at Mario kart and Mario 64 but enjoys them, etc)

Also, probably suggested to get the “regular” unit and not the “lite” (that’s only portable and not TV whereas the regular is both, correct?)
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:06 pm

weis21 wrote:

When then are available again at normal price I’m heavily considering getting one.

Any games recommended for both me and my 4 year old? He’s taken a liking to the “emulation station” i have (random old NES, he sucks at Mario kart and Mario 64 but enjoys them, etc)

Also, probably suggested to get the “regular” unit and not the “lite” (that’s only portable and not TV whereas the regular is both, correct?)

In your situation I would suggest the regular unit if only because you could play simpler games together just as well with each of you having one joycon, you can't remove the joycons or multiplayer the lite version.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:31 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
weis21 wrote:

In your situation I would suggest the regular unit if only because you could play simpler games together just as well with each of you having one joycon, you can't remove the joycons or multiplayer the lite version.

There is a very forgiving Mario-style game for switch starring Yoshi that is basically designed for little kids. Yoshi's Crafted World. You can play it tandem two player. But man, kids really suck at video games.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:22 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
weis21 wrote:When then are available again at normal price I’m heavily considering getting one.

There is a very forgiving Mario-style game for switch starring Yoshi that is basically designed for little kids. Yoshi's Crafted World. You can play it tandem two player. But man, kids really suck at video games.

Also, there is a free demo of that game in the Nintendo e-store (Yoshi's Crafted World). I'm pretty sure its only 1-2 levels of the game, but my 4 year olds never get sick of playing that one level over and over.
1 x
Win it for Fred

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:51 pm

Humble Bundles have kinda sucked since they got bought out, but there's a new COVID-relief Humble Bundle with 100% of proceeds going to charity with some pretty solid titles.

Into the Breach
Undertale
Hollow Knight
The Witness
Sniper Elite III
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Darksiders 1 & 2
Lego Batman 3
Europa Universalis 4
Brutal Legend
Broken Age
Psychonauts
Pac-Man Championship Edition
Super Hexagon

Plus a bunch of others. And some interesting books, comic books, and role playing games.

Not bad for $30. I went ahead and picked it up.

https://www.humblebundle.com/conquer-covid19-bundle

It also comes with a free month of Humble Choice Premium. So you should get a bunch of games next month as well.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:06 pm

Ubisoft is making a bunch of games available for free, including Rayman and several AC titles
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:05 am

I just finished Call of Duty: Modern Warfare in about 5 hours. I don’t play online so I feel like I wasted $60 bucks.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:05 pm

CubinNY wrote:I just finished Call of Duty: Modern Warfare in about 5 hours. I don’t play online so I feel like I wasted $60 bucks.

Yeah I learned my lesson and haven't bought a FPS shooter game since then. It's all just online now.

Go get the new Red Dead or the Witcher III or Assassin's Creed Odyssey if you are needing a time suck that is lots of fun. I likely put 150 hours into Red Dead, but probably much more.
0 x

MidoreX
All-Star

Postby MidoreX » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:25 am

Sony released some info/pics of the PS5 controller today... Looks straight outta Oblivion (the Tom Cruise movie, not the elder scrolls game). I like it, though I was hoping for standard back buttons, oh well.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/04/07/introducing-dualsense-the-new-wireless-game-controller-for-playstation-5/
0 x

Return to “Social”