Video Game Thread

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Video Game Thread

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:12 am

Also in the spirit of being late to the party, I just finished the main story in Super Mario Odyssey and boy is that a lot of fun. I normally play games very linearly, but I’m planning on seeing how many moons I can get to, especially now that all the post-game ones are unlocked.
4 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:16 pm

0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:17 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Also in the spirit of being late to the party, I just finished the main story in Super Mario Odyssey and boy is that a lot of fun.

I absolutely loved that game. I hadn't finished a single player game in years before Odyssey, but I just couldn't put it down. It was everything I wanted in a Mario game.
2 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:35 am

I've been watching a ton of speedruns on YouTube of old NES games. Makes me feel like I actually sucked at these games all along.

Like for instance, in Zelda 1, I rarely used bombs as a weapon. I'd be fighting Darknuts by sneaking up behind them (or from the side) and getting a couple stabs in before they would turn around and in some of those dungeons where there are rooms full of them I'd be dipping and dodging and bleeding health down to my last heart or two. These speed runners just friggin drop bomb after bomb and clear the room in seconds. They have obviously played it like a million times more than I but still its nuts. How did I never attempt this method.

This also led me to watching other videos of world record runs and I see that they found a huge glitch in Majora's Mask just a year ago that allows like 90% of the game to be bypassed lol. Its amazing to me that these things can be discovered about 20 years after their release.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:05 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I've been watching a ton of speedruns on YouTube of old NES games. Makes me feel like I actually sucked at these games all along.

Like for instance, in Zelda 1, I rarely used bombs as a weapon. I'd be fighting Darknuts by sneaking up behind them (or from the side) and getting a couple stabs in before they would turn around and in some of those dungeons where there are rooms full of them I'd be dipping and dodging and bleeding health down to my last heart or two. These speed runners just friggin drop bomb after bomb and clear the room in seconds. They have obviously played it like a million times more than I but still its nuts. How did I never attempt this method.

This also led me to watching other videos of world record runs and I see that they found a huge glitch in Majora's Mask just a year ago that allows like 90% of the game to be bypassed lol. Its amazing to me that these things can be discovered about 20 years after their release.

Yeah, the speedrun stuff is interesting.

A few years back there was a bunch of progress on running Ocarina of Time. The route basically involved getting into the first dungeon quickly, skipping a big chunk of it to skip to the boss, beating the boss, using a very specific setup to "wrong-warp" so that when you exit the room it teleports you to near the end of the game, fighting Gandondorf, and then quickly escaping the castle to finish the game.

I liked it. It felt like it included the basic elements of the game while cutting out everything extraneous.The runs took about 20 minutes.

I guess the new runs take about 7-8 minutes. You don't ever go into the first dungeon. You don't ever fight the final boss. You just perform a bunch of random-looking motions and then you teleport straight into the credits sequence. It sucks.

I feel like there's a sweet spot for speedrunning games where it still feels enough like the original game. But if you break the game too much, the fun disappears.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Video Game Thread

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:16 pm

Rob wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I've been watching a ton of speedruns on YouTube of old NES games. Makes me feel like I actually sucked at these games all along.

A few years back there was a bunch of progress on running Ocarina of Time. The route basically involved getting into the first dungeon quickly, skipping a big chunk of it to skip to the boss, beating the boss, using a very specific setup to "wrong-warp" so that when you exit the room it teleports you to near the end of the game, fighting Gandondorf, and then quickly escaping the castle to finish the game.

I liked it. It felt like it included the basic elements of the game while cutting out everything extraneous.The runs took about 20 minutes.

I guess the new runs take about 7-8 minutes. You don't ever go into the first dungeon. You don't ever fight the final boss. You just perform a bunch of random-looking motions and then you teleport straight into the credits sequence. It sucks.

I feel like there's a sweet spot for speedrunning games where it still feels enough like the original game. But if you break the game too much, the fun disappears.

Absolutely agree. I watched those videos of the stuff you are talking about. They basically make the game go on the fritz and skip to the credits. But without at least fighting a boss I'd have to categorize it differently, even though quite literally they are defeating the game. Ive definitely watched some that were world record runs but were nothing exciting to me. But Its insane the amount of time these gamers spend to uncover stuff like changing the values of the graphics and all of the experimentation they do to shave milliseconds off of their times.

Its wild to think that people are still playing these games daily for hours on end.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:40 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Rob wrote:

Absolutely agree. I watched those videos of the stuff you are talking about. They basically make the game go on the fritz and skip to the credits. But without at least fighting a boss I'd have to categorize it differently, even though quite literally they are defeating the game. Ive definitely watched some that were world record runs but were nothing exciting to me. But Its insane the amount of time these gamers spend to uncover stuff like changing the values of the graphics and all of the experimentation they do to shave milliseconds off of their times.

Its wild to think that people are still playing these games daily for hours on end.

I got Breath of the Wild a month ago. Just last night, I started playing after I put the kids to bed. Wasn't paying attention to time, and suddenly its 4AM. I was completely shocked. I'm not even trying to break a record or anything, and I dropped 7 hours playing a video game without noticing. Video games are addictive.

I mean, those zelda speed runs are pretty wild, but check out the Punch-Out blindfold runs. THAT'S straight up insane. When I was in middle school I could beat the game, and it was a fun party trick to do in college, but ....that just seems inhuman to me.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Video Game Thread

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:04 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Rob wrote:

I got Breath of the Wild a month ago. Just last night, I started playing after I put the kids to bed. Wasn't paying attention to time, and suddenly its 4AM. I was completely shocked. I'm not even trying to break a record or anything, and I dropped 7 hours playing a video game without noticing. Video games are addictive.

I mean, those zelda speed runs are pretty wild, but check out the Punch-Out blindfold runs. THAT'S straight up insane. When I was in middle school I could beat the game, and it was a fun party trick to do in college, but ....that just seems inhuman to me.

Thanks for mentioning this... holy horsefeathers... watching 2 dudes share 1 controller blindfolded right now. Never in my life would I have imagined this being done.
1 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:57 pm

High Score on Netflix is fantastic for you gamers out there. Highly recommended. Not only for the trips down memory lane, which are just awesome, but they break down the history of gaming into serious detail. It is a ton of fun and super educational. I think its 6 parts, starting with arcades, then Atari and primitive consoles like Channel F, Nintendo's emergence, Genesis' challenge to the throne, which really raised the profile of sports games, moves into fighting games, RPG, FPS. They tracked down loads of developers from each era and the stories they tell are fascinating. I breezed through the series and I think im gonna watch it again its so good.
1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:16 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:High Score on Netflix is fantastic for you gamers out there. Highly recommended. Not only for the trips down memory lane, which are just awesome, but they break down the history of gaming into serious detail. It is a ton of fun and super educational. I think its 6 parts, starting with arcades, then Atari and primitive consoles like Channel F, Nintendo's emergence, Genesis' challenge to the throne, which really raised the profile of sports games, moves into fighting games, RPG, FPS. They tracked down loads of developers from each era and the stories they tell are fascinating. I breezed through the series and I think im gonna watch it again its so good.

I skipped around so I think I only saw 4 or 5 episodes, but I agree it was good. The stuff about the launch of the NES and the strategy for the Genesis getting a foothold(and the knock on stuff about Madden and fighting games) were especially interesting.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:28 pm

The people that made it are "Great Big Story" which is a fantastic doc series that I believe CNN started that highlights really amazing people and the stories behind them.

The show was excellent, and I enjoyed it a lot and I concur on the recommendation.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:42 pm

I watched the first two episodes. Pretty good so far
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:15 pm

Still very slowly making my way through TLOU2 because I'm a huge wuss who can only play in long chunks when I'm in the proper headspace. But I owe this game a huge mean culpa for criticizing the gameplay:

Spoiler: show
I played through Hillcrest this morning, and holy horsefeathers. It's all great, but in particular the area with 4-5 houses and ~15 WLFs immediately after you get the bow and arrow is basically the platonic ideal of what this game can be. A large sandbox, with plenty of places to hide and monitor routes. There's too many guys to Rambo your way through, BUT if you are smart about traps and choke points you could probably pull it off after stealth killing 3-4. It played perfectly, and focusing on bigger less linear areas and merely tweaking the mechanics looks like the right call.

I'm also loving the interstital flashbacks with Joel and Ellie. The Dinosaur/Space museum was great, and the area afterwards with all the blood writing on the walls is the most unsettling thing I've seen in a while. This game REALLY gets how to set a scene.

Still very curious about the source of all the nerd outrage.
Assuming it's Abby/Joel but I'll see. There's clearly a twist coming so maybe it's whatever that ends up being.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:50 pm

Reviews are starting to leak out for the Avengers game releasing on Friday and they are surprisingly good. Not like 10/10 type of reviews but after the beta testing levels were panned quite a bit its nice to see people saying they really enjoyed the entire game.
1 x
Win it for Fred

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:05 pm

My nephews got one of those USB original NESes with 30 games on them. They are obsessed with Punch Out, so my old carcass actually has tips and tricks that are useful to them and make me seem cool in their eyes.

With the help of the internet to teach me all the tricks I didn't know when I was a kid, I actually beat the game, which 9-year-old me thought was literally impossible.
2 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:01 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:My nephews got one of those USB original NESes with 30 games on them. They are obsessed with Punch Out, so my old carcass actually has tips and tricks that are useful to them and make me seem cool in their eyes.

With the help of the internet to teach me all the tricks I didn't know when I was a kid, I actually beat the game, which 9-year-old me thought was literally impossible.

I called the NES hotline or whatever for tips and help (I'm sure it was a pay-by-the-minute thing advertised in my Nintendo Power magazine) and my mom was actually OK with it. She and I just couldn't stand not knowing how to beat King Hippo.

Don't think I ever actually could beat Mike, though.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:16 am

weis21 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:My nephews got one of those USB original NESes with 30 games on them. They are obsessed with Punch Out, so my old carcass actually has tips and tricks that are useful to them and make me seem cool in their eyes.

I called the NES hotline or whatever for tips and help (I'm sure it was a pay-by-the-minute thing advertised in my Nintendo Power magazine) and my mom was actually OK with it. She and I just couldn't stand not knowing how to beat King Hippo.

Don't think I ever actually could beat Mike, though.

They talked about that hotline in the High Score documentary. They were called Nintendo Game Counsellors or something
3 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:23 am

I'm bummed because I left all my retro consoles, which was pretty much every one made from NES til Playstation, back in Cali. And now I'm on this kick of watching YT vids and High Score and I can't play any of em. Is that pre-loaded mini NES as crappy as a lot of reviews make it seem? Did they really load 620 games on there and force you to scroll through them every time you want to play a game? It sounds like you can't save, either.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:50 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I'm bummed because I left all my retro consoles, which was pretty much every one made from NES til Playstation, back in Cali. And now I'm on this kick of watching YT vids and High Score and I can't play any of em. Is that pre-loaded mini NES as crappy as a lot of reviews make it seem? Did they really load 620 games on there and force you to scroll through them every time you want to play a game? It sounds like you can't save, either.

emulators for your pc/mac are your best friend. most of the emulators will let you use your playstation or xbox controller via bluetooth or usb. 5 save slots per game as well as game genie/gameshark auto-load codes, too.
1 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:09 am

cl smooth wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I'm bummed because I left all my retro consoles, which was pretty much every one made from NES til Playstation, back in Cali. And now I'm on this kick of watching YT vids and High Score and I can't play any of em. Is that pre-loaded mini NES as crappy as a lot of reviews make it seem? Did they really load 620 games on there and force you to scroll through them every time you want to play a game? It sounds like you can't save, either.

emulators for your pc/mac are your best friend. most of the emulators will let you use your playstation or xbox controller via bluetooth or usb. 5 save slots per game as well as game genie/gameshark auto-load codes, too.
Besides the point but I havent used my pc for over 5 years and I was invited to somebody's OOTP league and the game crashes every time upon loading the league. I tried updating the drivers and cleaning it up but it just gives me the same error over and over. Although I should have better luck with an emulator. I found a site recently where I dont even need to download anything and I can just play Baseball Simulator 1000, which is one of my favorites. Super fun game.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:21 am

Ours has 30 games and it seems fine. I mean, it does what it says it does: you plug it into your TV and play classic NES. There's not a lot of room for review between "works" and "doesn't work" imo.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:28 am

cl smooth wrote:

Besides the point but I havent used my pc for over 5 years and I was invited to somebody's OOTP league and the game crashes every time upon loading the league. I tried updating the drivers and cleaning it up but it just gives me the same error over and over. Although I should have better luck with an emulator. I found a site recently where I dont even need to download anything and I can just play Baseball Simulator 1000, which is one of my favorites. Super fun game.

Baseball Simulator 1000 was amazing. I played the hell out of that as a kid.
1 x
Win it for Fred

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:42 am

UMFan83 wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

I really miss the non-traditional sports game

BS1000
Dusty Diamond All Star Softball
Super Dodgeball
Jerry Glanvilles Pigskin Footbrawl
Baseball Wars

Those games were fun AF
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:16 am

UMFan83 wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Besides the point but I havent used my pc for over 5 years and I was invited to somebody's OOTP league and the game crashes every time upon loading the league. I tried updating the drivers and cleaning it up but it just gives me the same error over and over. Although I should have better luck with an emulator. I found a site recently where I dont even need to download anything and I can just play Baseball Simulator 1000, which is one of my favorites. Super fun game.

I really miss the non-traditional sports game

BS1000
Dusty Diamond All Star Softball
Super Dodgeball
Jerry Glanvilles Pigskin Footbrawl
Baseball Wars

Those games were fun AF

Mutant League Football
Arch Rivals
0 x
Win it for Fred

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:18 am

UMFan83 wrote:Mutant League Football

who knew that using the madden engine and changing the graphics to zombies, ogres and skeletons could be so much fun?!
1 x

Return to “Social”