Video Game Thread

Banedon
Curse You!

Re: Video Game Thread

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:54 pm

Derwood wrote:Naughty Dog will probably never cut ties with Playstation

Yeah, and I'll still play it. I just prefer just about all of my gaming on PC anymore.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:47 pm

Oopsie...Naughty Dog stole some AC Black Flag art for the trailer of Uncharted 4...

http://kotaku.com/ubisoft-devs-call-out ... 1761033812
0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:47 am

Banedon wrote:
We are proud to announce that Out of the Park Baseball 17, the latest version of the best baseball strategy game ever made, arrives on March 22, 2016 for $39.99 on PC Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/out-of- ... all-17.php

I'll probably order it, but I barely played last year.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:58 pm

Battlefield 5 reportedly to be set in World War ONE
0 x

PosterToBeNamedLater
Starter

Postby PosterToBeNamedLater » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:10 am

Bautista bat flip in MLB the Show 16
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:41 am

Man, if The Show let you really customize your own bat flip instead of just picking from their options...holy horsefeathers. I think I want that more than the never-gonna-happen options of making your own team/stadium/organization.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:09 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Man, if The Show let you really customize your own bat flip instead of just picking from their options...holy [expletive]. I think I want that more than the never-gonna-happen options of making your own team/stadium/organization.

I just want functional trade logic. It's like they don't give a horsefeathers about that aspect of franchise mode and it's maddening. You get to the trade deadline and nobody makes any trades
0 x

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:50 am

I heard that the Cubs' players will do the helmet rub in this year's edition.
0 x

tfarks
All-Star

Postby tfarks » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:11 am

Rocket League is incredible and the most fun I've had this gen. Best thing I could have found to spend $20 on.
0 x
A student of philosophy, eager to display his powers of argument, approached Diogenes, introduced himself and said, "If it pleases you, sir, let me prove to you that there is no such thing as motion." Whereupon Diogenes immediately got up and left.

philosophizer75
Starter

Postby philosophizer75 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:45 am

What a save!
0 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:30 pm

tfarks wrote:Rocket League is incredible and the most fun I've had this gen. Best thing I could have found to spend $20 on.

I got it for free from PS Plus...great fun.
0 x

PosterToBeNamedLater
Starter

Postby PosterToBeNamedLater » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:45 am

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Man, if The Show let you really customize your own bat flip instead of just picking from their options...holy [expletive]. I think I want that more than the never-gonna-happen options of making your own team/stadium/organization.

I just want functional trade logic. It's like they don't give a [expletive] about that aspect of franchise mode and it's maddening. You get to the trade deadline and nobody makes any trades

In this video released today (about 1:15 in the video), they mention that there is a "trade frequency" slider in franchise mode.

It wasn't new news today, but I am really looking forward to Sounds of the Show being added to the PS4 version for the first time. That is honestly something that made a big difference to me on previous PS3 versions.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:43 pm

I wonder if that trade frequency slider can be adjusted mid-season. Keep it low in April/May....bump up for June, then crank it the last week of July
0 x

New York Cubs Fan
All-Star

Postby New York Cubs Fan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:48 pm

Derwood wrote:I wonder if that trade frequency slider can be adjusted mid-season. Keep it low in April/May....bump up for June, then crank it the last week of July

In the past, most (maybe all?) of the sliders were adjustable at any time. I think the only things you couldn't turn on and off mid-season were things like 30-team control or forced trades, but those aren't sliders. My guess is that you will be able to do exactly what you described.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:14 pm

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:37 pm

Despite titles like FIFA and Madden releasing as full-price games, some of their biggest draws in recent years have been their “Ultimate” modes, where players can purchase decks of fake cards to bolster the rosters of their personal, Ultimate team.

EA revealed this week (via GI.biz) that they make $1.3 billion on “extra content” a year, which is all extra digital stuff, like DLC, season passes, etc. Around half of that figure, though—$650 million—comes just from EA Sports’ Ultimate Team.

http://kotaku.com/oh-so-people-do-want- ... 1762489362
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:28 pm

Derwood wrote:

I just want functional trade logic. It's like they don't give a [expletive] about that aspect of franchise mode and it's maddening. You get to the trade deadline and nobody makes any trades

I was traded for Randle Grichuk into 2 iterations of Road to the Show in my first season with the Smokies (when I picked the Cubs to draft me). In 2 other iterations he was traded for Jorge Soler in May. I kept on dumping and restarting but every time the same thing happened. I would love if they could find a way to make an algorithm for trades to be more realistic. I obviously deleted my RTTS when I was traded to the Cardinals. Furious.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:46 pm

Mass Effect Andromeda pushed to Q1 2017
0 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:06 pm

The Sherlock Holmes free game of the month on Xbox One is a lot of fun. The only issue is that it's clearly designed to be a PC game.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:09 pm

rocket wrote:The Sherlock Holmes free game of the month on Xbox One is a lot of fun. The only issue is that it's clearly designed to be a PC game.

So I should keep an eye out for a steam sale on it?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:20 am

Hoping you folks that are bigger video gamesters than me have an idea on an elegant solution to this first world problem.

Most of my living room entertainment runs through a Windows HTPC that runs Kodi. That HTPC is currently a 4 year old laptop. For my needs it currently does just fine, playing local media, streaming video, and it can handle emulators for Genesis/NES/SNES.

However, when that laptop kicks the bucket, I'm interested in having more gaming horsepower, for having the option to play Steam games(I'd like to try Rocket League and Firewatch but the laptop can't handle them), as well as N64/PS1 emulation.

My problem is that the benefit I'd derive from that horsepower doesn't seem to match up with the cost. I can handle everything else I need for $200-$300 at the most, but getting the gaming abilities needed to not be immediately obsolete(even if I'm not after AAA titles) would be more in the $500-$1000 range.

Anyone have any ideas on how to bridge that gap better/cheaper? The only loyalty I have is to Windows for the flexibility and some peripherals I already own.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:42 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Hoping you folks that are bigger video gamesters than me have an idea on an elegant solution to this first world problem.

Most of my living room entertainment runs through a Windows HTPC that runs Kodi. That HTPC is currently a 4 year old laptop. For my needs it currently does just fine, playing local media, streaming video, and it can handle emulators for Genesis/NES/SNES.

However, when that laptop kicks the bucket, I'm interested in having more gaming horsepower, for having the option to play Steam games(I'd like to try Rocket League and Firewatch but the laptop can't handle them), as well as N64/PS1 emulation.

My problem is that the benefit I'd derive from that horsepower doesn't seem to match up with the cost. I can handle everything else I need for $200-$300 at the most, but getting the gaming abilities needed to not be immediately obsolete(even if I'm not after AAA titles) would be more in the $500-$1000 range.

Anyone have any ideas on how to bridge that gap better/cheaper? The only loyalty I have is to Windows for the flexibility and some peripherals I already own.

The Alienware steam machine is $450-ish....though I haven't done tons of research into it.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/steam_machines

If you're willing to build a non-laptop machine yourself, you could get yourself some decent deals...

http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/#T=2,1
0 x

BrockLanders
Starter

Postby BrockLanders » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:35 pm

PSN has a Resident Evil sale going on for another day. I picked up RE0 HD and REmake, The remake of the first game is beautifully done for the most part. I actually think it's one of the best looking PS4 games I own. Highly recommended.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:54 pm

Banedon wrote:The Alienware steam machine is $450-ish....though I haven't done tons of research into it.

If you're willing to build a non-laptop machine yourself, you could get yourself some decent deals...

Thanks! The best I was able to find was the Alienware Alpha, which is that Steam machine exactly plus Windows 10 and minus the Steam controller, so it looks like I'm in the right frame of mind. I'm a complete dummy at evaluating processors and graphics cards though, so I'm not sure how long I could reasonably expect to go with that machine without upgrading.

I've never built myself but I've always been curious, since I'm trying to do this a bit shoestring(at least by gaming standards) it looks like it'd be pretty tough to save much over pre-built. I have time to wait it out though so I'll probably poke around to see what options are.
0 x

tfarks
All-Star

Postby tfarks » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:10 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Banedon wrote:The Alienware steam machine is $450-ish....though I haven't done tons of research into it.

Thanks! The best I was able to find was the Alienware Alpha, which is that Steam machine exactly plus Windows 10 and minus the Steam controller, so it looks like I'm in the right frame of mind. I'm a complete dummy at evaluating processors and graphics cards though, so I'm not sure how long I could reasonably expect to go with that machine without upgrading.

I've never built myself but I've always been curious, since I'm trying to do this a bit shoestring(at least by gaming standards) it looks like it'd be pretty tough to save much over pre-built. I have time to wait it out though so I'll probably poke around to see what options are.

I've been forever on the fence without ever taking the plunge. But this Intel series CPU helped me decipher the omnipresent i3, i5, i7 lingo. From what little I understand about PC gaming though, the GPU choice seems to be the most important as CPU technology is maxing out.
0 x
A student of philosophy, eager to display his powers of argument, approached Diogenes, introduced himself and said, "If it pleases you, sir, let me prove to you that there is no such thing as motion." Whereupon Diogenes immediately got up and left.

Return to “Social”