Video Game Thread

XZero77
Superstar

Re: Video Game Thread

Postby XZero77 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:05 pm

XCOM 2 gets a 9.3 from IGN. I'm pretty hyped, but I don't know if it'll be in the budget on release day. :(
0 x

Liam Neeson
Starter

Postby Liam Neeson » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:51 pm

So The Division Beta weekend is for the most part over. I managed to borrow my friend's Uplay account and play for 2 hours last night.

I enjoy modern shooters and I enjoy MMOs / RPGs so this game was pretty much right in my wheelhouse.

They had a ton of skills locked for the beta but the gearing / skills look to be deep.

I only made it to level 6 before quitting and max level for the beta was 8 so I didn't get to experience "higher end" content, but the 2 hours I had playing with a few friends was great.
0 x

MidoreX
All-Star

Postby MidoreX » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:42 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Derwood wrote:This puzzle game I'd only just heard of called The Witness got a perfect 10 on IGN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/25/ ... ess-review

this looks incredible. leaning towards purchasing it this weekend since i'm a sucker for puzzle games.

sidenote: a week into owning a ps4 and it's been a blast. there's some players in star wars: battlefront that absolutely kick the [expletive] out of everyone on each map. i never used the online capabilities on the other two battlefront games, so playing online with a crew of randoms is totally new to me. as of this morning, i'm at rank 22 and have all of the guns outside of the dl-44 and some solid star cards, but i'm normally in the middle of the pack after a battle ends as far as scores go.

If you haven't already, buy it. It's well with the $40. Simple yet strikingly beautiful game world, challenging and varied puzzles that don't hold your hand, but build on themselves in a manner that doesn't leave you insanely frustrated. Lots of "I'M THE SMARTEST MAN ALIVE!" moments after a little bit of "well I just have absolutely no idea..."
0 x

tfarks
All-Star

Postby tfarks » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:17 pm

Liam Neeson wrote:So The Division Beta weekend is for the most part over. I managed to borrow my friend's Uplay account and play for 2 hours last night.

I enjoy modern shooters and I enjoy MMOs / RPGs so this game was pretty much right in my wheelhouse.

They had a ton of skills locked for the beta but the gearing / skills look to be deep.

I only made it to level 6 before quitting and max level for the beta was 8 so I didn't get to experience "higher end" content, but the 2 hours I had playing with a few friends was great.

Definitely intrigued by this. Like yours, most reviews seem positive. Apparently a lot of long empty streets that makes the Manhattan setting limited for continued play however. Personally, I've steered clear of MMO's so I doubt my ability to be fully absorbed properly to get the best out of it, but I'm keeping an eye on it.
0 x
A student of philosophy, eager to display his powers of argument, approached Diogenes, introduced himself and said, "If it pleases you, sir, let me prove to you that there is no such thing as motion." Whereupon Diogenes immediately got up and left.

Liam Neeson
Starter

Postby Liam Neeson » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:36 pm

tfarks wrote:
Liam Neeson wrote:So The Division Beta weekend is for the most part over. I managed to borrow my friend's Uplay account and play for 2 hours last night.

Definitely intrigued by this. Like yours, most reviews seem positive. Apparently a lot of long empty streets that makes the Manhattan setting limited for continued play however. Personally, I've steered clear of MMO's so I doubt my ability to be fully absorbed properly to get the best out of it, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

The game is scheduled to release early March and I have a feeling that an open beta weekend may drop sometime soon. Also if the MMO tag is discouraging they creators themselves said that it isn't an MMO but an RPG. They haven't announced any "raids" but the main mission of the beta was for you to fight your way through Madison Square Garden (Turned into a makeshift hospital) to rescue a doctor. The difficulty of the mission scaled with more players (max 4) and you had an option at the beginning to complete it on normal or hard (Hard had better gear rewards).
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:33 pm

MidoreX wrote:
cl smooth wrote:
Derwood wrote:This puzzle game I'd only just heard of called The Witness got a perfect 10 on IGN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/25/ ... ess-review

this looks incredible. leaning towards purchasing it this weekend since i'm a sucker for puzzle games.

sidenote: a week into owning a ps4 and it's been a blast. there's some players in star wars: battlefront that absolutely kick the [expletive] out of everyone on each map. i never used the online capabilities on the other two battlefront games, so playing online with a crew of randoms is totally new to me. as of this morning, i'm at rank 22 and have all of the guns outside of the dl-44 and some solid star cards, but i'm normally in the middle of the pack after a battle ends as far as scores go.

If you haven't already, buy it. It's well with the $40. Simple yet strikingly beautiful game world, challenging and varied puzzles that don't hold your hand, but build on themselves in a manner that doesn't leave you insanely frustrated. Lots of "I'M THE SMARTEST MAN ALIVE!" moments after a little bit of "well I just have absolutely no idea..."

i purchased it last friday and am REALLY enjoying it. about 50% through the game per the trophy stats. you're spot on about the puzzles: it took me 2 hours for one particular puzzle but others were a breeze.
0 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:56 pm

The free game with gold this month for XBox One is Hand of Fate. It's really good. A mix of dungeons and dragons, magic the gathering, and Arkham Asylum.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:07 pm

XZero77 wrote:XCOM 2 gets a 9.3 from IGN. I'm pretty hyped, but I don't know if it'll be in the budget on release day. :(

I just bought it. 23% off on the Digital Deluxe version on Greenman Gaming, and I got my Steam key from them immediately.

The game just looks too good to wait on.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:08 pm

rocket wrote:The free game with gold this month for XBox One is Hand of Fate. It's really good. A mix of dungeons and dragons, magic the gathering, and Arkham Asylum.

My brain cannot comprehend such a mixture.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:32 pm

rocket wrote:The Hand of Fate

Manos?
1 x

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:30 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
rocket wrote:The Hand of Fate

Manos?

I'd play it, but Peeping Torgo creeps me directly the horsefeathers out.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:46 am

Anyone else played Ori and the Blind Forest? Great "Metroidvania" style game. Beautiful too.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:15 pm

told myself i wouldn't purchase another ps4 game until mlb the show 16 is released but i noticed the playstation store having a sale on most of their games (sale runs until 2/9). i copped nhl 16 for $19.50. i haven't played a hockey game on a regular basis since nhl 94 and i noticed they had a control layout similar to nhl 94, which cracked me up.

i read a few reviews and the biggest complaint seems to be lag issues that plagues the online mode. i haven't tried it yet so i wouldn't know. anyone here play nhl 16?
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:42 pm

cl smooth wrote:
i read a few reviews and the biggest complaint seems to be lag issues that plagues the online mode. i haven't tried it yet so i wouldn't know. anyone here play nhl 16?

I have not bought NHL 16, but have owned every NHL game form 09-15. The gameplay is great, my favorite videogame franchise of all time. But yes the lag issue can be a problem, for me it seems mostly when playing people in Eastern Europe though.
0 x

PosterToBeNamedLater
Starter

Postby PosterToBeNamedLater » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:06 pm

cl smooth wrote:told myself i wouldn't purchase another ps4 game until mlb the show 16 is released but i noticed the playstation store having a sale on most of their games (sale runs until 2/9). i copped nhl 16 for $19.50. i haven't played a hockey game on a regular basis since nhl 94 and i noticed they had a control layout similar to nhl 94, which cracked me up.

I don't play online so I wouldn't know about that. However, I do really like this year's game. I think my favorite game of the last ten years or so (all types of games) was NHL 10, but had sort of lost interest in the series over the past few years. My problem with it was that if you tried to make the game challenging at all, the computer seemed to be way too overpowered--especially when you finally took a lead. I think the game made it so that if the computer is down, they play harder. But it would then be able to just possess the puck at a crazy rate. You had no chance to do anything as the computer could rip off like 80 straight 100mph perfect passes until someone shoots and scores. Whenever you got the lead, the computer would come right back and scores 2 goals in like 10 seconds. Last year I finally gave up trying to make it work for me and was annoyed that what used to be my favorite series was unplayable.

I was going to avoid this year, and did until there was a big sale on it a few weeks ago. However on operationsports, I had seen reviews that said one of the patches really helped this year, and there was a slider set that "saved the game" for a lot of people. I think the biggest thing was to turn down the "attribute effects" slider all the way down to zero. It made the super passing by the computer non-existent. I am pretty sure these were the sliders:
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/ea-sports-nhl-sliders/863060-sknapples-nhl-16-ss-sliders-cpus-super-passing-hopefully-removed.html

Anyway, the first game I played with it, it felt a lot different than 15, and the game is back to being the one I like playing the most right now. I also play with the classic controls (not the NHL 94 controls as those don't have much to them).
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:05 pm

Rocket League is coming to Xbox One on 2/17 for those that are interested. Really fun game.
0 x

tfarks
All-Star

Postby tfarks » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:05 pm

Banedon wrote:Rocket League is coming to Xbox One on 2/17 for those that are interested. Really fun game.

Excited about this and The Division open beta 18th-21st.
0 x
A student of philosophy, eager to display his powers of argument, approached Diogenes, introduced himself and said, "If it pleases you, sir, let me prove to you that there is no such thing as motion." Whereupon Diogenes immediately got up and left.

Liam Neeson
Starter

Postby Liam Neeson » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:30 pm

tfarks wrote:
Banedon wrote:Rocket League is coming to Xbox One on 2/17 for those that are interested. Really fun game.

Excited about this and The Division open beta 18th-21st.

Yep Beta opens for Xbox on the 18th. PS4 and PC on the 19th. You can preload the beta on the 16th and the closed beta was around 30 GB. They just released the open beat patch notes and looks like they are listening to most of the complaints and criticisms that people had and added a few new things.

If you like RPGs, 3rd person shooters, or MMOs this is definitely worth your time plus the price is right.
0 x

philosophizer75
Starter

Postby philosophizer75 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:49 pm

Rocket League is a really fun game. Car soccer with boost and jumps and your field is in an enclosing cage that you can drive along.

I also got gifted Rainbow Six Siege a couple of days ago on Steam and that game has been good as hell so far.
0 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

MidoreX
All-Star

Postby MidoreX » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:51 am

Finished The Witness last night. It really was the cats pajamas. Can't recommend it highly enough if you love puzzlers, even in the slightest. Also, VERY pleased with my own brainpower...
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:35 pm

I have a bunch of steam credit that I forgot about from Xmas, and I have no idea what I want to spend it on. The game I wanna play the most is Rise of the Tomb Raider, but it's still full price, and I just can't pay full price for games on Steam.

I was thinking maybe GTA V, which is $40 right now. Rainbow Six Siege is $44.

Why the hell is Wolfenstein the New Order $59.99 on Steam when it's almost 2 years old?
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:59 pm

No new Assassin's Creed in 2016.

This year, we also are stepping back and re-examining the Assassin’s Creed franchise. As a result, we’ve decided that there will not be a new Assassin’s Creed game in 2016.

http://blog.ubi.com/a-message-from-the- ... reed-team/
0 x

tfarks
All-Star

Postby tfarks » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:14 pm

Banedon wrote:I have a bunch of steam credit that I forgot about from Xmas, and I have no idea what I want to spend it on. The game I wanna play the most is Rise of the Tomb Raider, but it's still full price, and I just can't pay full price for games on Steam.

I was thinking maybe GTA V, which is $40 right now. Rainbow Six Siege is $44.

Why the hell is Wolfenstein the New Order $59.99 on Steam when it's almost 2 years old?

It's been surprising to hear all the positive experiences with R6 Siege. So it really comes down to what you feel like playing more. There's no single player story but if you're leaning towards a multiplayer FPS you won't be disappointed. If you're really on the fence and haven't gotten to GTA V yet, I'd put my priority there.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:59 pm

So I didn't end up buying anything yet on Steam, cuz I remembered that I had Bioshock Infinite sitting there unfinished. So I powered through that and finished it last night.

And that makes me think where that ending falls in the pantheon of great video game endings. No spoilers, give your favorite video games endings of all time.

Bioshock Infinite and and both Portal games are the ones that are first in my mind, but I have many games that I've missed.
0 x

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:09 pm

Banedon wrote:So I didn't end up buying anything yet on Steam, cuz I remembered that I had Bioshock Infinite sitting there unfinished. So I powered through that and finished it last night.

And that makes me think where that ending falls in the pantheon of great video game endings. No spoilers, give your favorite video games endings of all time.

Bioshock Infinite and and both Portal games are the ones that are first in my mind, but I have many games that I've missed.

I felt that way right after I finished it, but it falls apart quite a bit under scrutiny. My initial reaction was that I was very impressed, but less so the more I considered it. Even so, it was still one of the more memorable endings ever, if you don't start pulling on narrative strings afterward.

Off the top of my head, some of my favorite VG endings would include: Shadow of the Colossus, Bioshock, FFX, The Last of Us, MGS3, RDR, Mass Effect 2, Portal 2...I'm sure I could think of more.
0 x

Return to “Social”