Video Game Thread

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: Video Game Thread

Postby Derwood » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:38 pm

weis21 wrote:i think tree knows that.

i believe what he's saying is that they will perhaps dedicate more time, money, and resources into the online aspect since that is where the $ is at. if it's not as lucrative for the single player option then why would they bother?

Maybe I'm lacking imagination here, but I don't see how the Old West would have the same variety (or sex appeal) for years of online missions and add-ons that GTA does. Rocket launchers, private jets, helicopters, custom modded sports cars, etc. are an easier sell than prettier horses or something. I trust Rockstar would make it cool, it just seems like a tougher game world to fill
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:57 pm

RDR was a gigantic, amazingly created sandbox that lends itself perfectly to indefinite online play. There doesn't have to be insane weapons and jetpacks for people to have a ton to do for a long, long time.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:RDR was a gigantic, amazingly created sandbox that lends itself perfectly to indefinite online play. There doesn't have to be insane weapons and jetpacks for people to have a ton to do for a long, long time.

You're probably right....my comment is based on the fact that the content for GTA Online has mostly gotten crazier and crazier since launch, and I'm wondering if the RDR world can support that.

Either way, the game is going to rule
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:40 pm

The most telling thing about their expectations for RDR2 online is how they have zero on the horizon after that. Like, there hasn't even been a WHISPER of GTA6 to this point.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:44 pm

Derwood wrote:
treebird wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Yeah, any single player DLC profit would have been a drop in the bucket compared to the ridiculous amount of money they've made off of GTAO. It's insane that the game is still a bestseller this long after release. For better or for worse, this is likely the model for them going forward.

it sucks, but my expectations for red dead are honestly pretty low as a result. it only makes sense that the game will have a nice but short single player and then shove you into online forever. hopefully i’m wrong.

But GTA V's single player wasn't short. They can do a robust single player game AND an extensive online experience.

If all the $ is coming from online play, then they have incentive to push you away from single player into online play. They will be actively restricting how robust single player could be.

As Sammy explained, GTA V was really a changing of the guard for Rockstar from churning out amazing games to churning out amazing video game worlds that would be welcoming to extended online play. There's every reason to believe that, as they continue with that business model, less and less will be devoted to the single player experience. From my understanding, they planned to have more feautres in GTA V single player that were removed at the last moment. And they announced some future DLC that was never released. They were still just beginning to feel out what balance to strike between online and single player. And now that they've seemingly made their decision, it wouldn't crazy to think the scales will shift even more.

That's a shame for me, as I don't play video games very often and have no inclination to launch into the online play world. But I've long enjoyed Rockstar games. I'll immerse myself into RDR 2 and enjoy single player. It will still be awesome, because it's being made by Rockstar. But it won't be as good as it could be.
4 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:09 pm

Duke Silver wrote:
Derwood wrote:
treebird wrote:
it sucks, but my expectations for red dead are honestly pretty low as a result. it only makes sense that the game will have a nice but short single player and then shove you into online forever. hopefully i’m wrong.

But GTA V's single player wasn't short. They can do a robust single player game AND an extensive online experience.

If all the $ is coming from online play, then they have incentive to push you away from single player into online play. They will be actively restricting how robust single player could be.

As Sammy explained, GTA V was really a changing of the guard for Rockstar from churning out amazing games to churning out amazing video game worlds that would be welcoming to extended online play. There's every reason to believe that, as they continue with that business model, less and less will be devoted to the single player experience. From my understanding, they planned to have more feautres in GTA V single player that were removed at the last moment. And they announced some future DLC that was never released. They were still just beginning to feel out what balance to strike between online and single player. And now that they've seemingly made their decision, it wouldn't crazy to think the scales will shift even more.

That's a shame for me, as I don't play video games very often and have no inclination to launch into the online play world. But I've long enjoyed Rockstar games. I'll immerse myself into RDR 2 and enjoy single player. It will still be awesome, because it's being made by Rockstar. But it won't be as good as it could be.

by all accounts, they had single player dlc planned that got converted into multiplayer stuff. the multiplayer makes so much money that it’s impossible to justify doing anything else.

i’m in the same boat as you. i very much enjoy the single player stuff, but i have no interest in jumping into the huge time sink that is required to do much in one of these online rockstar games.
2 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:15 pm

I’m in the same boat as you guys, much prefer single player than getting in to online/multiplayer stuff.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:16 pm

Yep, my online gaming days are basically done. I have no time anymore
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:17 pm

They converted some of the features, but a lot of it they just scrapped. The guy who voiced Franklin posted something years ago about new dialogue he and Michael and Trevor were recording, and outside of the Trevor heists, none of the Michael or Franklin stuff ever emerged.

I was really late to getting into GTA online; I played it for about 6 months when it launched, but didn't come back until a little over a year ago. It's actually a ton of fun, and I can afford pretty much anything I need in the game and I really didn't do much besides playing sometimes on the weekend. It's especially great if you get on with people you know, and then it's REALLY easy to make money and level up quickly.
1 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:03 am

any fortnite players here? i am in the process of downloading the ps4 version so i can play with my nephew. over 2 million players over three different platforms (ps4, xbone and pc). curious to see what the hype’s all about.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:09 am

Umm yeah the folks that make The Show are really good at separating me from my money

6 x
Win it for Fred

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:18 am

UMFan83 wrote:Umm yeah the folks that make The Show are really good at separating me from my money

Ugh, every time I cave and get a sports game I barely end up playing it, but this one looks pretty damn good.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:53 pm

Banedon wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Umm yeah the folks that make The Show are really good at separating me from my money

Ugh, every time I cave and get a sports game I barely end up playing it, but this one looks pretty damn good.

Yeah, I was definitely thinking I could skip it this year, but that video sucked me right back in.

I've always skipped at least a year with these games, so can you continue with a player you created the previous season? I don't want to leave Cobra Summersgill: Greatest Player of All Time to the dustbin of history.
1 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Yeah, I was definitely thinking I could skip it this year, but that video sucked me right back in.

I've always skipped at least a year with these games, so can you continue with a player you created the previous season? I don't want to leave Cobra Summersgill: Greatest Player of All Time to the dustbin of history.

you can load the previous year's road to the show player in the new year's installment. i would suggest purchasing training points using whatever stubs you have left and use them on your create-a-player before the show 18 comes out since stubs don't transfer over year to year.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:48 pm

I don't think they've made enough improvements year to year to justify buying it again this season. I bought it almost every year from 2007-2017, but will probably skip this season
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Derwood wrote:I don't think they've made enough improvements year to year to justify buying it again this season. I bought it almost every year from 2007-2017, but will probably skip this season

they've added additional legends to the game (babe ruth, vlad guerrero, among others) in addition to fixing the base-running/tagging issues that plagued the show 17. they debuted a batting stance creator yesterday and will unveil more bells and whistles each week until the release date in late march. i think you mentioned before that the online aspect of the game isn't really your thing but they are supposedly tweaking parts of franchise mode, too.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:05 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Derwood wrote:I don't think they've made enough improvements year to year to justify buying it again this season. I bought it almost every year from 2007-2017, but will probably skip this season

they've added additional legends to the game (babe ruth, vlad guerrero, among others) in addition to fixing the base-running/tagging issues that plagued the show 17. they debuted a batting stance creator yesterday and will unveil more bells and whistles each week until the release date in late march. i think you mentioned before that the online aspect of the game isn't really your thing but they are supposedly tweaking parts of franchise mode, too.

I'll take a look, but I don't do the Diamond Dynasty part of the game, and that is where they've poured a lot of resources and improvements over the past few years. Conversely, they still haven't fixed basic problems with RTTS and Franchise (like comprehensive, full season stats from past seasons, no league news/transaction information in RTTS, terrible trade AI, particularly around the trade deadline, etc., etc.)

It's still the best baseball game around, but I'm no longer sold on animations and character creation getting more sparkle
0 x

New York Cubs Fan
All-Star

Postby New York Cubs Fan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Hitting is kind of broken in '17 so if they really fix it like they claim they are, that's probably worth upgrading for alone.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:56 pm

New York Cubs Fan wrote:

Hitting is kind of broken in '17 so if they really fix it like they claim they are, that's probably worth upgrading for alone.

I heard that complaint a lot, but never had any issues with it
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:59 pm

New York Cubs Fan wrote:

are you talking about topspin and late swings being base hits? they spoke of these issues during one of the twitch videos last week and stated they've fixed it. topspin killed 99 cal ripken jr in any online game.
1 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:46 pm

Damn

I guess I have to buy a PS4. Do they have any of the old ballparks? I haven't played the Show since about 2013.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:09 pm

Brian707 wrote:Damn

I guess I have to buy a PS4. Do they have any of the old ballparks? I haven't played the Show since about 2013.

polo grounds, shibe park, forbes field, shea stadium, old yankee stadium, miami stadium (pro player stadium), metrodome and a handful of others i'm forgetting. a ton of minor league stadiums, too (believe most of these are generic but vary in look and outfield dimensions).
1 x

New York Cubs Fan
All-Star

Postby New York Cubs Fan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:09 pm

cl smooth wrote:
New York Cubs Fan wrote:

are you talking about topspin and late swings being base hits? they spoke of these issues during one of the twitch videos last week and stated they've fixed it. topspin killed 99 cal ripken jr in any online game.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Kris Bryant has that problem with his swing too and it annoys me my favorite player is basically unusable in competitive online play.
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:58 am

Diamond Dynasty has ruined my life over the last two years so why not make it three.
4 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:25 pm

0 x

Return to “Social”