snoodmonger
Superstar

Re: Video Game Thread

Postby snoodmonger » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:22 am

The Logan wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Banedon wrote:Greece?

IGN says yes

I'm gonna go against the grain and predict you're actually a college student at Michigan State this time around. It's gonna be pretty boring, probably.

Do you get to kill Larry Nassar? Could be worth it then.
4 x

philosophizer75
All-Star

Postby philosophizer75 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:05 am

snoodmonger wrote:
The Logan wrote:
I'm gonna go against the grain and predict you're actually a college student at Michigan State this time around. It's gonna be pretty boring, probably.

Do you get to kill Larry Nassar? Could be worth it then.

You know, I read the Michigan State comment and really thought about replying something with regards to the whole Nassar thing, but couldn't come up with anything that wasn't horribly crass.

Should've gone with murder.
0 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:23 pm

for those who didn't catch e3 yesterday, call of duty: black ops 3 is a free download on ps+ for the next month.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:26 pm

Most of the Sony exclusives looke amazing. Last of Us 2 was breathtaking

I was sorta disappointed in Spider-Man; it looked great, but the constant dialogue was corny and annoying.

The Samurai game was gorgeous
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Derwood wrote:I was sorta disappointed in Spider-Man; it looked great, but the constant dialogue was corny and annoying.

Have you ever read a Spider-Man comic?
1 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:50 pm

I think Fallout 76 looks awesome. The Fanboys are losing their minds over it, though.
0 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:00 pm

everyone's excited about these new e3 games, and i'm sitting here jazzed that the crash bandicoot playstation games are going to be available on xbox one this month
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Derwood wrote:Most of the Sony exclusives looke amazing. Last of Us 2 was breathtaking

I was sorta disappointed in Spider-Man; it looked great, but the constant dialogue was corny and annoying.

The Samurai game was gorgeous

I love the character Spider-Man but I don't like games with lots of button mashing with punching/kicking combos so I've never been excited about these types of games. But the visuals do look awesome.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:I think Fallout 76 looks awesome. The Fanboys are losing their minds over it, though.

The main complaint I've read (and this is people complaining over tidbits of info) is that an MMO style online world will result in a lot of time building bases, while griefers come and destroy your horsefeathers while you're logged off.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:09 pm

The girl-girl kiss in The Last of Us 2 trailer has all the Star Wars hating incels riled up.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:43 pm

I may have mentioned it before, but I love the Steam Link and Steam Controller.

I managed to integrate individual games like Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario 64 into my Steam library so that they load up game and emulator when selected, and auto-load a controller configuration as well. So now my wife is able to use the Steam Link app on our living room TV and easily pick out her favorite old games to play without having to figure out a bunch of crazy menus -- it's no harder than going into Netflix or Hulu. I was even able to include some art. I don't think it looks half bad at all.

3 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Wait I want this. How?
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:41 pm

javy knows my name wrote:Wait I want this. How?

Short version: Retroarch and Steam ROM Manager. Watch some tutorials on YouTube.

Steam ROM Manager in particular looks hard to use but is a total breeze once you figure out once you load the preset you really only have to do 3-4 things. The rest is just optional.

I can try to type up a better explanation later.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:24 pm

I am so un-knowledgeable about Steam.... what would it cost me to get started? My laptop sucks, could I build something with Raspberry Pi? Or maybe something that works out of the box?

Edit: Not sure if the above post answers my question, thats how in the dark I am
0 x
Win it for Fred

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:29 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I am so un-knowledgeable about Steam.... what would it cost me to get started? My laptop sucks, could I build something with Raspberry Pi? Or maybe something that works out of the box?

Edit: Not sure if the above post answers my question, thats how in the dark I am

You need to have a gaming computer. Steam link is basically just a box that enables you to stream a game from your computer, to the tv, and manage the input devices, by my understanding. A raspberry pi is not going to be powerful enough to do that for most current games. Not sure about emulated ones, but I'd guess not.

Rob's post was concerning the software setup. Your issue is hardware.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:36 pm

Banedon wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:I am so un-knowledgeable about Steam.... what would it cost me to get started? My laptop sucks, could I build something with Raspberry Pi? Or maybe something that works out of the box?

You need to have a gaming computer. Steam link is basically just a box that enables you to stream a game from your computer, to the tv, and manage the input devices, by my understanding. A raspberry pi is not going to be powerful enough to do that for most current games. Not sure about emulated ones, but I'd guess not.

So....you're saying my 8 year old MacBook is not going to cut it then? :lol:
0 x
Win it for Fred

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

So....you're saying my 8 year old MacBook is not going to cut it then? :lol:

I mean, you can get steam on it no problem...it'll be on a game by game basis. You may probably handle doing some less demanding games, or some emulation.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:45 pm

If you only want to play retro games, an old laptop or Raspberry Pi would work fine. A Raspberry Pi in particular would be able to handle games up through Super NES, and even select PS1/N64 games. The bigger hassle in that case is finding a living room friendly setup, there are many options but ultimately you're setting up a frontend for a tiny linux computer so be prepared for some rough edges.
1 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:15 pm

The reason I did it through Steam is because my wife isn't very tech-savvy. We have a Samsung Smart TV with a Steam Link app built right in, so it's easy for her to navigate to without needing to change inputs back and forth or mess with our receiver. I also already have a pretty good sized Steam library for playing new PC games.

If you're just starting from scratch and you're even remotely tech-savvy, there are much easier ways to do what I was doing. Building a RetroPie or even just setting up Steam to load up Retroarch's main menu and then loading games from within Retroarch would be much, much simpler than the convoluted setup I had to go through to get this working right.

But now that it's working, it's extremely user-friendly for my wife. She always wants to play these games but with previous setups she always felt bad about bothering me to turn the games on for her. So now that's not a problem - all she has to do is see a game icon and click it to play.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:16 pm

for those playing the show: which immortals have you unlocked? i'm two missions away from finishing the barry larkin career arc. once that happens, cal ripken jr. is mine!
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:33 pm

Rob wrote:If you're just starting from scratch and you're even remotely tech-savvy, there are much easier ways to do what I was doing. Building a RetroPie or even just setting up Steam to load up Retroarch's main menu and then loading games from within Retroarch would be much, much simpler than the convoluted setup I had to go through to get this working right.

Retropie all the way. It's simple to figure out, just a little tedious to set up at first. Get one with a couple of usb SNES controllers from Amazon and it will be a beautiful nostalgia factory. I talked about this a couple years ago on here.
1 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:21 am

cl smooth wrote:for those playing the show: which immortals have you unlocked? i'm two missions away from finishing the barry larkin career arc. once that happens, cal ripken jr. is mine!

out of all the cards they teased leading up to this i really just wanted diamond belle and diamond thomas the most. finishing up the gold/diamond stats for thomas (and subsequently pujols), so that's the closest one for me so far. belle is going to be a hell of a grind and then i still have work for ruth, so i might go towards snider/griffey next.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:43 pm

FIFA '18 is $25 right now. If I don't care that the players are on the exact right teams, is there any compelling reason not to buy this over '19 (which comes out in September)?
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:26 pm

Derwood wrote:FIFA '18 is $25 right now. If I don't care that the players are on the exact right teams, is there any compelling reason not to buy this over '19 (which comes out in September)?

does FIFA have roster vault downloads like mlb the show has where fans update the rosters themselves?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:09 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Derwood wrote:FIFA '18 is $25 right now. If I don't care that the players are on the exact right teams, is there any compelling reason not to buy this over '19 (which comes out in September)?

does FIFA have roster vault downloads like mlb the show has where fans update the rosters themselves?

I don't know. I haven't owned a FIFA game for years. Not sure what EA does
0 x

Return to “Social”