Video Game Thread

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Re: Video Game Thread

Postby Butterscup » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:27 am

i picked it up a few weeks ago for $28 because i was itching to play as world cup teams and it's been worth it for me. it'll hold me over until fifa/world cup 22. only problem is it only has the countries that made the world cup group stage, which makes sense since it was as free add-on, but still kind of a bummer.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:03 pm

Butterscup wrote:i picked it up a few weeks ago for $28 because i was itching to play as world cup teams and it's been worth it for me. it'll hold me over until fifa/world cup 22. only problem is it only has the countries that made the world cup group stage, which makes sense since it was as free add-on, but still kind of a bummer.

A few reviews say that the game is geared too much towards offense, meaning a lot of high scoring games
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:12 pm

I assume it's the same for 18, but I've been playing a ton of FIFA 17 through EA Access and they do have roster updates that you can apply at the start.

On that note, it looks really likely that FIFA 18 will come to EA Access in the next couple weeks, so if you have an Xbox and don't mind the subscription aspect, you might as well go for the EA Access subscription instead.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:13 pm

I'm on PS4
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:37 pm

you know you're gonna buy this game and play like 7 matches and then never pick it up again, so just get whatever version is cheapest and shut up
2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:39 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:you know you're gonna buy this game and play like 7 matches and then never pick it up again, so just get whatever version is cheapest and shut up

This is all sports games for me, and frankly I feel personally attacked.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:40 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:you know you're gonna buy this game and play like 7 matches and then never pick it up again, so just get whatever version is cheapest and shut up

Nah, I wear sports games out
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:54 pm

Banedon wrote:

I bought The Show '18 full price and I have no horsefeathers' clue why I did. I've played it maybe 5 times so far.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:58 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I bought The Show '18 full price and I have no horsefeathers' clue why I did. I've played it maybe 5 times so far.

I did the same thing. I'll probably do it again in a couple of years too, because enough time will have passed that I'll convince myself this time will be different.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:44 pm

I'll play it a ton over the winter, but I have no idea why I didn't just wait to get it once it was cheaper.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:09 pm

IGN just showed gameplay footage of Red Dead Redemption II and it looks siiiiiiiccckkkk
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Umm yeah must buy this game as soon as it comes out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw_oH5oiUSE
3 x
Win it for Fred

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:14 am

https://melmagazine.com/an-oral-history ... 9844f1c5ab

^^^^^FYI, this isn't possible in the game. You can only play as Pierce Brosnan when you choose to play as Bond in multiplayer.

Good read and highly recommended for anyone that spent countless hours playing this game. I loved Goldeneye on the N64 so damn much. It still impacts me to this day because my controls are still based on playing Goldeneye using the N64 controller. I use southpaw controls for all FPS games (like Halo) even though I'm a righty because I wanted to use the analog stick (on the N64 controller) to aim back in the day.

One of my highlights is winning 50 bucks in a Goldeneye tournament while being the youngest one there. Damn, that was almost 20 years ago. I feel really old now.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:30 am

Goldeneye (and the N64) were during the period I wasn't playing a lot of videogames. I skipped from Dreamcast to Xbox to PS3. I missed out on all the PS and PS2 era games, plus N64 and Gamecube
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:35 am

Derwood wrote:Goldeneye (and the N64) were during the period I wasn't playing a lot of videogames. I skipped from Dreamcast to Xbox to PS3. I missed out on all the PS and PS2 era games, plus N64 and Gamecube

Ok so what you are saying is that the article isn’t recommended for you then?
3 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:28 am

UMFan83 wrote:
Derwood wrote:Goldeneye (and the N64) were during the period I wasn't playing a lot of videogames. I skipped from Dreamcast to Xbox to PS3. I missed out on all the PS and PS2 era games, plus N64 and Gamecube

Ok so what you are saying is that the article isn’t recommended for you then?

I’m lamenting the fact that an iconic game passed me by
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:14 am

40+ minute development gameplay reveal from CD Projekt Red of Cyberpunk 2077. It looks horsefeathering bananas. They put the disclaimer out that the final product likely won't be like this, but released it anyways to show folks. There's a glitch frame at the end with this message (spoilered for length):

Spoiler: show
Sorry to have kept you waiting for this for so long!

Did you like what you saw? Because for us, the fact that we're finally showing you Cyberpunk 2077 is HUGE. Please go to our forums, twitter, facebook, discord, and do tell what you think. Is the game world how you imagined? Do you see what we meant by "immersion" when we talked about CP2077 being an FPP RPG? How does our vision of "cyberpunk by day" make you feel? We really want to know.

Aside from that, we think we owe you a few words of explanation on why we're showing you this gameplay now, some time after industry professionals and media saw it at E3 and gamescom.

Each time we discussed the idea of showing the game to you (and we discussed this idea a lot), we were ending up in this "we're not 100% sure" limbo. Why? Because (for most people), when a game dev shows gameplay footage from their game, it means that this is how the game is going to look or play like. It's not the case here. Cyberpunk 2077 is deep in development. We have a lot of design ideas, a lot of mechanics being playtested, but we don't know what we'll end up with at launch. This makes publishing videos like what you just saw risky --we don't want gamers saying 'but in that previous video that gun was shooting differently', or 'why did you change the interface?'. Change is inherent to game development and there's a ton of things being modified each day. Our fear was (and kind of still is) that you'll think what you just saw is how Cyberpunk 2077 will look like.

What gave us that extra confidence to show you a work in progress game? Good initial feedback from people who are accustomed to see games at various stages of development. What they told us (and they told us they really liked what they saw) gave us the boost we needed to show the current version of Cyberpunk 2077 to the most passionate and insightful audience --you.

So here's what Cyberpunk 2077 looks like today (or rather looked like when we recorded the video). We sincerely hope you liked it.

Again, thank you for your patience and all the thoughts you shared with us.

Yours,

CD PROJEKT RED

Also, it's very NSFW. Language, violence, and bewbies

2 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:38 am

The Logan wrote:40+ minute development gameplay reveal from CD Projekt Red of Cyberpunk 2077. It looks horsefeathering bananas. They put the disclaimer out that the final product likely won't be like this, but released it anyways to show folks. There's a glitch frame at the end with this message (spoilered for length):

Spoiler: show
Sorry to have kept you waiting for this for so long!

Did you like what you saw? Because for us, the fact that we're finally showing you Cyberpunk 2077 is HUGE. Please go to our forums, twitter, facebook, discord, and do tell what you think. Is the game world how you imagined? Do you see what we meant by "immersion" when we talked about CP2077 being an FPP RPG? How does our vision of "cyberpunk by day" make you feel? We really want to know.

Aside from that, we think we owe you a few words of explanation on why we're showing you this gameplay now, some time after industry professionals and media saw it at E3 and gamescom.

Each time we discussed the idea of showing the game to you (and we discussed this idea a lot), we were ending up in this "we're not 100% sure" limbo. Why? Because (for most people), when a game dev shows gameplay footage from their game, it means that this is how the game is going to look or play like. It's not the case here. Cyberpunk 2077 is deep in development. We have a lot of design ideas, a lot of mechanics being playtested, but we don't know what we'll end up with at launch. This makes publishing videos like what you just saw risky --we don't want gamers saying 'but in that previous video that gun was shooting differently', or 'why did you change the interface?'. Change is inherent to game development and there's a ton of things being modified each day. Our fear was (and kind of still is) that you'll think what you just saw is how Cyberpunk 2077 will look like.

What gave us that extra confidence to show you a work in progress game? Good initial feedback from people who are accustomed to see games at various stages of development. What they told us (and they told us they really liked what they saw) gave us the boost we needed to show the current version of Cyberpunk 2077 to the most passionate and insightful audience --you.

So here's what Cyberpunk 2077 looks like today (or rather looked like when we recorded the video). We sincerely hope you liked it.

Again, thank you for your patience and all the thoughts you shared with us.

Yours,

CD PROJEKT RED

Also, it's very NSFW. Language, violence, and bewbies

only watched the first 10-15 minutes but that looks unbelievable!
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:58 pm

It's bonkers. But I'm glad they're throwing it out there that it's not a finished product. Reminds people not to get 100% hyped for it. Watch Dogs did that for me. Their gameplay demo was horsefeathering amazing and the end result was... not. Even if CDPR delivers on half of what they showed, though, it's still going to be an amazing game.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:04 pm

Mainly they have to put it out there because so many gamers are complete lunatics who respond to any kind of deviation from what they expect or perceived as "promised" with a MAGA chud-like fury that will never end.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:16 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Mainly they have to put it out there because so many gamers are complete lunatics who respond to any kind of deviation from what they expect or perceived as "promised" with a MAGA chud-like fury that will never end.

The Division and No Mans Sky got killed over this. They somehow think that unfinished gameplay footage at E3 or whatever counts as “promises made by the developer”, and take it really personally when these “promises” are broken
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:26 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Mainly they have to put it out there because so many gamers are complete lunatics who respond to any kind of deviation from what they expect or perceived as "promised" with a MAGA chud-like fury that will never end.

The Division and No Mans Sky got killed over this. They somehow think that unfinished gameplay footage at E3 or whatever counts as “promises made by the developer”, and take it really personally when these “promises” are broken

Well ok, but also, No Mans Sky was not a good game when it was released. There's been a ton added and I've heard it's significantly improved, but still. I don't think that's a great example of what Sammy is talking about.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:37 pm

Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Well ok, but also, No Mans Sky was not a good game when it was released. There's been a ton added and I've heard it's significantly improved, but still. I don't think that's a great example of what Sammy is talking about.

I definitely think it is; NMS was indeed relatively rushed and undercooked (though still, IMO, a solid game at the time) when it arrived (had it been sold for $40 it would have made a huge difference), but the response it got and STILL gets, regardless of how much it did turn into a really, really, really good game, was hugely disproportionate. Nobody is forcing these maniacs to buy the game at any point, yet the violent vitriol hurled at the people who made the game, anyone who dared write about it outside of trashing it, and people who expressed liking was and is beyond the pale, and it's just SOP with this type of terrible, obsessive fandom. Companies and designers are finding themselves having to cater to them and tread carefully, because ANY deviation from their perceived idea of how the game "should" be (based on any preview stuff or just what's pinball-ing around their brains) is pounced on with a fury that would make fake news types blush.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:49 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:

I definitely think it is; NMS was indeed relatively rushed and undercooked (though still, IMO, a solid game at the time) when it arrived (had it been sold for $40 it would have made a huge difference), but the response it got and STILL gets, regardless of how much it did turn into a really, really, really good game, was hugely disproportionate. Nobody is forcing these maniacs to buy the game at any point, yet the violent vitriol hurled at the people who made the game, anyone who dared write about it outside of trashing it, and people who expressed liking was and is beyond the pale, and it's just SOP with this type of terrible, obsessive fandom. Companies and designers are finding themselves having to cater to them and tread carefully, because ANY deviation from their perceived idea of how the game "should" be (based on any preview stuff or just what's pinball-ing around their brains) is pounced on with a fury that would make fake news types blush.

I'm not debating that the gaming community isn't absolutely chock full of horrifically, awful people....it's an absolutely terribly community. But also, some of that organized pushback against dev companies is justified. The stuff with EA/Battlefront and lootboxes is the obvious example here (also Forza and Shadow of war, though they didn't get nearly the blowback that EA did), but there's a lot of push from devs to preorder games, or buy unfinished games with actual promises of future development and content.

If you're going to try to sell me an unfinished game, with promises of future content, and then don't deliver on your promises when you already have my money, or I pay $60 for a game but have to pay more to keep up with other players...I get some of that anger and I don't think lumping that in with "MAGA chud's" is fair.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:53 pm

Cyberpunk 2077 is looking like a day one purchase for me. I'm not thrilled about it being a first person shooter with bullet-sponge mechanics, but that world looks freaking nuts. I want to see it.
0 x

Return to “Social”