Video Game Thread

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Video Game Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:57 pm

I think it totally is; so little of it is just frustration over a disappointing or subpar (often only temporarily) product. GamerGate is ground zero for its kind of garbage for a reason; too many gamers have zero clue how to respond to something they don't like. Don't like pre-orders? Then don't pre-order. That's literally the only way to get companies to knock off an incredibly lucrative approach to selling their games. Screaming insults and death threats at the designers, or doxing and SWATting people, or coming down as hard as possible on any "horsefeathers" who dare to not hate something they hate isn't going to get rid of lootboxes or pre-order bonuses. There's a total disconnect between how they howl into the void about how angry they are, but then let their money express the exact opposite sentiment EVERY SINGLE TIME.

It's sad how many times they needed to put in a disclaimer about how the video wasn't displaying a finished product. That's what speaks loudest about the emotional maturity of too many gamers. They shouldn't have to beat the people obsessed with this world over the head with how this works.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:08 pm

Anyone play Hollow Knight on Switch? I've been playing it and it is just an incredibly well made game. The mechanics, the story, the music, it's all top notch. Cannot believe this game was only $15.
1 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I think it totally is; so little of it is just frustration over a disappointing or subpar (often only temporarily) product. GamerGate is ground zero for its kind of garbage for a reason; too many gamers have zero clue how to respond to something they don't like. Don't like pre-orders? Then don't pre-order. That's literally the only way to get companies to knock off an incredibly lucrative approach to selling their games. Screaming insults and death threats at the designers, or doxing and SWATting people, or coming down as hard as possible on any "horsefeathers" who dare to not hate something they hate isn't going to get rid of lootboxes or pre-order bonuses. There's a total disconnect between how they howl into the void about angry they are, but then let their money express the exact opposite EVERY SINGLE TIME.

It's sad how many times they needed to put in a disclaimer about how the video wasn't displaying a finished product. That's what speaks loudest about the emotional maturity of too many gamers. They shouldn't have to beat the people obsessed with this world over the head with how this works.

I played Destiny 2 at release and that was a game with a big "community" backlash. Just browsing that subreddit for the few months post release, people were absolutely losing their minds. I remember this one post where this dude made this huge list of frankly ridiculous complaints and after each one wrote in all caps UNACCEPTABLE! I still laugh with my buddy about it. I bet he cried while he was writing that post.

But these nerds would play this game so much that I think it consumed their entire lives and they got this warped sense of how important some of the things they were complaining about actually were. The big complaint was there "wasn't enough to do" but people had played the game so much in such a short period of time that I don't think the developer could have included enough content to satisfy them. I remember one guy had played like 300-400 hours just a couple months after release and wanted a refund! Almost every post started with "I have 2000 hours in Destiny 1..."

Ok, you are disappointed by the game. Oh well? Move onto the next one? I don't get how developers owe you the exact type of game you want. Same thing with Fallout76. If it sounds like a game you wouldn't really like, then just...don't play it? Or post on reddit about Bethesda's allocation of development resources and how Fallout76 will impact the future of Fallout 5? Either one.

I don't know what my point was other than that these are some weird horsefeathers with nothing to do besides play videogames.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:Anyone play Hollow Knight on Switch? I've been playing it and it is just an incredibly well made game. The mechanics, the story, the music, it's all top notch. Cannot believe this game was only $15.

I've played it a bit on PC. My son is obsessed with it right now and wants to be Hollow Knight for Halloween. I have like 5 or 6 "Metroidvania" style games on my steam account I need to play through.

Are you playing exclusively on Switch? There's some other games of that style I can recommend, but they aren't on Switch
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:32 pm

lol found it. 3.9k upvotes

•Completely ignoring and secluding half their fan-base (the "hardcore") when designing the sequel, because they can assume they have our money already? Unacceptable!
•Assuming the "casuals" are too stupid to learn a game, so dumbing down an entire sequel? Unacceptable!
•Completely scrapping fan-loved features from the first game because reasons? Unacceptable!
•Failing to accept the fundamental problems within the game, and giving minimal to no communication to the community? Unacceptable!
•Only bothering to fix a known not-working feature when external media begin to report on it? Unacceptable!
•Continuously "circle-jerking" about the minimal successes whilst ignoring major issues within the game? Unacceptable!
•Outright LYING to us? Unacceptable!

If this was ANY other company in the world, the mainstream media would be all over it. Newspapers and news outlets would be calling for the higher-higher-ups to resign! Why do gaming companies get a pass when it comes to horsefeathering over people?
1 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:34 pm

Banedon wrote:
Chocolate Milk wrote:Anyone play Hollow Knight on Switch? I've been playing it and it is just an incredibly well made game. The mechanics, the story, the music, it's all top notch. Cannot believe this game was only $15.

I've played it a bit on PC. My son is obsessed with it right now and wants to be Hollow Knight for Halloween. I have like 5 or 6 "Metroidvania" style games on my steam account I need to play through.

Are you playing exclusively on Switch? There's some other games of that style I can recommend, but they aren't on Switch

Yeah, just the Switch. Switch is a great platform for these types of games, imo.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:38 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:lol found it. 3.9k upvotes

•Completely ignoring and secluding half their fan-base (the "hardcore") when designing the sequel, because they can assume they have our money already? Unacceptable!
•Assuming the "casuals" are too stupid to learn a game, so dumbing down an entire sequel? Unacceptable!
•Completely scrapping fan-loved features from the first game because reasons? Unacceptable!
•Failing to accept the fundamental problems within the game, and giving minimal to no communication to the community? Unacceptable!
•Only bothering to fix a known not-working feature when external media begin to report on it? Unacceptable!
•Continuously "circle-jerking" about the minimal successes whilst ignoring major issues within the game? Unacceptable!

If this was ANY other company in the world, the mainstream media would be all over it. Newspapers and news outlets would be calling for the higher-higher-ups to resign! Why do gaming companies get a pass when it comes to horsefeathering over people?

Sounds like the same kind of tedious rants about things like SW and comic books. Fandom is kind of the worst.

And the obsession with "the media" is beyond paranoid. It's always supposedly too positive or too negative for the same nefarious reasons.
1 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:44 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:lol found it. 3.9k upvotes

im still awaiting the new york times editorial calling for bungie higher ups to resign over this
3 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:18 pm

i am playing it now and i love it. i also recently played and thoroughly enjoyed golf story on the switch.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:22 pm

treebird wrote:

i am playing it now and i love it. i also recently played and thoroughly enjoyed golf story on the switch.

Golf story is definitely one I wanna get at some point.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:43 am

i'm a destiny addict still and the community for that game is the most miserable group of people that i have ever encountered. it's just a never ending stream of anger that they funnel into a stupid video game that they can't admit they love. this is gaming and nerd culture in general, but that fanbase really takes it to another level.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:36 am

And "listen to the community" is literally the worst advice ever given to a gaming developer. The "community" likes and wants awful things. Call of Duty listened to the community, and the result was Ghosts, arguably their worst title in the past 10 years.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:23 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I think it totally is; so little of it is just frustration over a disappointing or subpar (often only temporarily) product. GamerGate is ground zero for its kind of garbage for a reason; too many gamers have zero clue how to respond to something they don't like. Don't like pre-orders? Then don't pre-order. That's literally the only way to get companies to knock off an incredibly lucrative approach to selling their games. Screaming insults and death threats at the designers, or doxing and SWATting people, or coming down as hard as possible on any "horsefeathers" who dare to not hate something they hate isn't going to get rid of lootboxes or pre-order bonuses. There's a total disconnect between how they howl into the void about how angry they are, but then let their money express the exact opposite sentiment EVERY SINGLE TIME.

breaking news:

People Who Haven't Played Spider-Man Are Mad The Developers Took Out A Puddle

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:26 pm

When another Twitter user said that Insomniac reduced the puddle’s size to cut down on resource usage and keep the frame rate up, Insomniac replied that the game has “plenty of other places with tons of puddles.”

Great response.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:32 pm

I mean, that's gotta be PC turds griping about this horsefeathers, right? Unless you have some kind of absurdly powerful rig where you always want all visual settings blown out to the possible max at all times, who could possibly give a horsefeathers?
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I mean, that's gotta be PC turds griping about this horsefeathers, right? Unless you have some kind of absurdly powerful rig where you always want all visual settings blown out to the possible max at all times, who could possibly give a horsefeathers?

PS4 exclusive.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:52 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I mean, that's gotta be PC turds griping about this horsefeathers, right? Unless you have some kind of absurdly powerful rig where you always want all visual settings blown out to the possible max at all times, who could possibly give a horsefeathers?

PS4 exclusive.

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:22 am

Video game fanboys sure hate video games
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:01 am

I just went to GameFAQS, and the first thread on the game was about Puddle-Gate. It didn't disappoint
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:41 am

As per usual, the only thing fanboys love more than *THING X* is hating *THING X*.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:08 am

hahahahahah in diamond dynasty look at luis severino's gold autographed ball
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:29 am

17 Seconds wrote:hahahahahah in diamond dynasty look at luis severino's gold autographed ball

Are you talking about his signature? If so, it cracks me up every time I see it.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:48 am

4 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:29 am

I've been playing a lot of RBI Baseball for the NES lately. Mostly the third one, since that was the one I owned while growing up.

I just love seeing who is on all these old teams. Do any of the current gen baseball games have classic rosters and stuff? I mostly stick to PC gaming, but I'm feeling the urge.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:33 am

Rob wrote:I've been playing a lot of RBI Baseball for the NES lately. Mostly the third one, since that was the one I owned while growing up.

I just love seeing who is on all these old teams. Do any of the current gen baseball games have classic rosters and stuff? I mostly stick to PC gaming, but I'm feeling the urge.

I know there are custom roster downloads for MLB The Show for its franchise mode. There’s also Super Mega Baseball where you can either edit teams or players. That is a popular alternative for players who aren’t into The Show.
0 x

Return to “Social”