Video Game Thread

The Logan
Superstar

Re: Video Game Thread

Postby The Logan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Banedon wrote:Telltale Games laid off all but 25 people today. They'll continue as a small team and finish the last episode of The Walking Dead but all other projects are cancelled.

That makes me sad, but I get it. The mass public has no room for adventure games. But also, Telltale did a pretty crap job at promoting their games. Like I had forgotten all about the fact they they did a Batman game which... Might have been good? I don't know, never saw anyone review it or care enough to play it. They made games for some of the biggest franchises in the world and I'll bet a vast majority of those fans dont know they exist or forgot all about them. The walking dead one is the only one that has retained any sort of following. It's unfortunate.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:51 pm

The Logan wrote:
Banedon wrote:Telltale Games laid off all but 25 people today. They'll continue as a small team and finish the last episode of The Walking Dead but all other projects are cancelled.

That makes me sad, but I get it. The mass public has no room for adventure games. But also, Telltale did a pretty crap job at promoting their games. Like I had forgotten all about the fact they they did a Batman game which... Might have been good? I don't know, never saw anyone review it or care enough to play it. They made games for some of the biggest franchises in the world and I'll bet a vast majority of those fans dont know they exist or forgot all about them. The walking dead one is the only one that has retained any sort of following. It's unfortunate.

The Batman ones weren't bad (I actually only played the first one) but for me, the real problem was they never updated their engine, which was very dated and really showed. They kept using big franchise licenses too, but they never promoted the games heavily like you'd expect for games developed from those licenses.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:54 pm

Banedon wrote:
The Logan wrote:

The Batman ones weren't bad (I actually only played the first one) but for me, the real problem was they never updated their engine, which was very dated and really showed. They kept using big franchise licenses too, but they never promoted the games heavily like you'd expect for games developed from those licenses.

I wonder when they shut down if they will release their engine to the public and make it open source.
0 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:36 pm

The Logan wrote:
cl smooth wrote:the raspberry pi/retropie is a blast if you know how to build one and obtain roms (vimm's lair). the speed-up option is a lifesaver for those long role playing games when farming for items/experience is necessary.

Yeah I know people bemoan the raspberry pi because it's "not the same" but outside of hardware aesthetics does it really matter? I've got USB SNES controllers that check that box and a tiny $70 box with 7000+ games across multiple consoles and systems. Or I could drop $100 for something that looks neat on my shelf with 30 games.

I know raspberry pi fanboys are some of the most annoying nerds among the nerds, but I don't give a horsefeathers, it's more economical and way more fun. The PlayStation classic one makes a lot of sense though because it was a disc based system with its own bios and emulating that on a pi is difficult, if not impossible because of hardware limitations, but the nes and SNES ones made zero sense to me.

i read these posts a few days ago and started to type out a dm to the logan asking if he'd build a raspberry pi emulator thing and mail it to me in exchange for money, but then i decided this was too lazy even for me. so i pulled up this guide and bought all the stuff. it arrived yesterday and i put it together this morning. it was fun and extremely easy and now i have a magic box next to my tv with all the old video games in it.

in conclusion, thank you logan and cl smooth for finally inspiring me to do this. also, if anyone has ever been on the fence, i highly recommend this as a fun project. i don't know anything about computers at all and i had absolutely no trouble putting this stuff together and getting everything set up.
6 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:32 pm

I'm going back and replaying Red Dead Redemption in anticipation of the sequel coming out, and I have no idea how I'm going to handle things like accurately depicted horse nuts this time around.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:10 pm

treebird wrote:i read these posts a few days ago and started to type out a dm to the logan asking if he'd build a raspberry pi emulator thing and mail it to me in exchange for money, but then i decided this was too lazy even for me. so i pulled up this guide and bought all the stuff. it arrived yesterday and i put it together this morning. it was fun and extremely easy and now i have a magic box next to my tv with all the old video games in it.

in conclusion, thank you logan and cl smooth for finally inspiring me to do this. also, if anyone has ever been on the fence, i highly recommend this as a fun project. i don't know anything about computers at all and i had absolutely no trouble putting this stuff together and getting everything set up.

Glad you're digging it. The whole thing really is simply just plug and play, more or less, with some basic, easy to follow instructions for setting up the RetroPi OS. I assume you got that SNES USB controller as well? If anyone else tries to do this, I'd recommend that one specifically. It works beautifully. And the best part about the whole project is it'll run you around $100 or less with a controller.

Also if you have the patience to do a metadata scrub that makes it look all the more better as it will add box art/screenshots and information instead of just a list. It took forever on mine and timed out a lot. I only got through a few systems before just giving up because it took forever.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:45 am

0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:21 pm

psn names changes officially coming in early 2019
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 pm

17 Seconds wrote:psn names changes officially coming in early 2019

from what i read, your account is still tied to your original psn. you're paying for a display name that'll work in some games and not in others. as much as you'll want to change your taylorswiftfanno1 handle to THRILLHO, the latter won't show up on random titles.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:01 pm

cl smooth wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:psn names changes officially coming in early 2019

from what i read, your account is still tied to your original psn. you're paying for a display name that'll work in some games and not in others. as much as you'll want to change your taylorswiftfanno1 handle to THRILLHO, the latter won't show up on random titles.

fugg, there there is no escaping this thing
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:07 pm

Makes me laugh thinking about some dude pushing 40 playing as xxx420pussypounder69 because he made that name when he was 16 and all his digital purchases are tied to his account.
1 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:45 pm

We all getting RDR2? I'm somewhat on the fence. Sounds like it's an unbelievably detailed and beautiful game, but I'm not sure the gameplay is what I'm looking for specifically. I'm sure I'll have a few beers and end up buying it Friday night. Never played the first one and haven't played many Rockstar games so I don't really know what to expect.

https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redemption-2-the-kotaku-review-1829984369
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:53 pm

I'm waiting for it to be on PC, and probably for it to even be on sale after that. I've never finished a Rockstar game...so I'm more "meh" that a lot of folks on it.

I'll save my gaming dollars for Hitman 2.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:54 pm

Riding around on a horse for hours and hours reminds me of the Penn and Teller video game where you drive a long distance in real time.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:03 pm

horsefeathers yeah, I'm buying it. I can count on one hand the number of games I've played between the last one coming out and now that didn't massivel pale in comparison.

And if you haven't played the first one, horsefeathering PLAY IT. It's still amazing.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:45 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:We all getting RDR2? I'm somewhat on the fence. Sounds like it's an unbelievably detailed and beautiful game, but I'm not sure the gameplay is what I'm looking for specifically. I'm sure I'll have a few beers and end up buying it Friday night. Never played the first one and haven't played many Rockstar games so I don't really know what to expect.

RDR1 is one of my top 3 games played ever and this is supposed to have a very similar feel so yeah I will have it in my hands tomorrow. And I should mention that I never have time for video games anymore except maybe 1-2 titles a year and this is a game I'm making it a priority to buy on launch day so pretty excited.

Look at the reviews for this game. I would say 70% of them are giving the game a perfect score and the other 30% have it at 8/10 or better. There are literally no bad reviews. To me that says a game that will appeal to virtually every gamer regardless of your gaming preferences. This might be the game of this generation.
Last edited by UMFan83 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Win it for Fred

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:46 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:horsefeathers yeah, I'm buying it. I can count on one hand the number of games I've played between the last one coming out and now that didn't massivel pale in comparison.

And if you haven't played the first one, horsefeathering PLAY IT. It's still amazing.

Have they remastered it for this gen? I'd love to go back and play it again (well I guess not anymore since RDR2 will be occupying the next several months of my non-family free time) but my PS3 crapped out a couple of years ago.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:40 pm

I will get it, but probably not until December. I'm way too busy to play any videogames right now and I don't need the temptation
0 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:35 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Chocolate Milk wrote:We all getting RDR2? I'm somewhat on the fence. Sounds like it's an unbelievably detailed and beautiful game, but I'm not sure the gameplay is what I'm looking for specifically. I'm sure I'll have a few beers and end up buying it Friday night. Never played the first one and haven't played many Rockstar games so I don't really know what to expect.

RDR1 is one of my top 3 games played ever and this is supposed to have a very similar feel so yeah I will have it in my hands tomorrow. And I should mention that I never have time for video games anymore except maybe 1-2 titles a year and this is a game I'm making it a priority to buy on launch day so pretty excited.

Look at the reviews for this game. I would say 70% of them are giving the game a perfect score and the other 30% have it at 8/10 or better. There are literally no bad reviews. To me that says a game that will appeal to virtually every gamer regardless of your gaming preferences. This might be the game of this generation.

What's the gameplay loop? I've read a bunch of reviews, but most of them are gushing about the details and intricacy of the world design, but don't really explain what you do in the game. Is there a progression? Is there loot? Do you just kind of ride your horse around and do whatever you feel like? It seems like most of the reviews are targeted to people who played the first one so they kinda gloss over this part.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:33 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

What's the gameplay loop? I've read a bunch of reviews, but most of them are gushing about the details and intricacy of the world design, but don't really explain what you do in the game. Is there a progression? Is there loot? Do you just kind of ride your horse around and do whatever you feel like? It seems like most of the reviews are targeted to people who played the first one so they kinda gloss over this part.

Rockstar Games tend to have an overarching story that you're working your way through, but give you tons of side quests, activities, etc. that you can work on whenever you want. In RDR, I probably went 20 straight hours without playing the main story because I had so much fun with the side stuff.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:36 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:horsefeathers yeah, I'm buying it. I can count on one hand the number of games I've played between the last one coming out and now that didn't massivel pale in comparison.

Have they remastered it for this gen? I'd love to go back and play it again (well I guess not anymore since RDR2 will be occupying the next several months of my non-family free time) but my PS3 crapped out a couple of years ago.

No remastering, unfortunately. But you can get it through the PS store on for PS4 in the original version, and it's worth it, IMO. I did a replay last month for the first time in years, and was really impressed at how well it held up. The only thing I felt the urge to do was increase the color saturation; the default setting is supposed to look kinda washed out, like a Spaghetti Western, but when you increase it so that the colors really pop like those actual landscapes do, it looks incredible.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:40 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

The first one had an over-arcing story that you were working towards (track down the old members of your gang because government agents are basically holding your wife and son hostage), but, like Derwood said, there's at least an entire separate game's worth of side quests/missions/just exploring everything the world has to offer. You also work to have access to better guns, ammunition, horses and supplies. There's also tracking to see your character's fame and honor; the more you do things successfully like hunting down bounties, clearing out gang hideouts, rescuing women being kidnapped, or saving some poor schmuck's friend from being hanged, the more people will know you you are and the better your rewards will be (looting bodies for cash and weapons and ammo, etc.).
1 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:49 pm

This is the most immersive and beautiful game I’ve ever played. It’s open-world on steroids.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:36 pm

i really want to play it but i just can't imagine not being bored
0 x

Bote McBoteface
All-Star

Postby Bote McBoteface » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:21 am

17 Seconds wrote:i really want to play it but i just can't imagine not being bored

It starts out pretty slow, because its a massive game with a crap ton of things to do and it has to teach you everything. But even that is awesome. I cant imagine being bored by it.
0 x

Return to “Social”