Video Game Thread

cl smooth
All-Star

Re: Video Game Thread

Postby cl smooth » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:42 pm

Rob wrote:
cl smooth wrote:
Rob wrote:It really makes me sad that KONAMI will never make another VIDEO GAME.

Honestly? Meh.

Sure, they were a massive part of my childhood. But what have they done in the last 20 years? Metal Gear, some pretty mediocre Silent Hill games, and Dance Dance Revolution.

It’s time for them to sell their IPs to people who can use them.

myself personally, i miss the suikoden series. some of the best rpgs out there.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:24 am

Anybody plan on buying and flipping (maybe around xmas) Super Mario 3D All Stars?
0 x

stoutdude04
bench player

Postby stoutdude04 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:53 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Rob wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

Honestly? Meh.

Sure, they were a massive part of my childhood. But what have they done in the last 20 years? Metal Gear, some pretty mediocre Silent Hill games, and Dance Dance Revolution.

Hopefully you saw the crowd funded game Eiyuden Chronicle.
1 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:20 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Rob wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

Honestly? Meh.

I never got into Suikoden. The massive cast of characters was just a bit too intimidating for me as a kid. I mostly stuck with Shining Force, Phantasy Star, and Final Fantasy games for my RPG fix. Plus the odd one-off like Super Mario RPG.
0 x

stoutdude04
bench player

Postby stoutdude04 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:39 pm

Rob wrote:
cl smooth wrote:
Rob wrote:
Honestly? Meh.

I never got into Suikoden. The massive cast of characters was just a bit too intimidating for me as a kid. I mostly stuck with Shining Force, Phantasy Star, and Final Fantasy games for my RPG fix. Plus the odd one-off like Super Mario RPG.

It is interesting, the massive cast isnt really noticable...if that's possible. The story in the suikoden series is just great. I have a soft spot for the Wild Arms series as well.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:48 pm

Horizon Forbidden West looks fantastic
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:32 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Anybody plan on buying and flipping (maybe around xmas) Super Mario 3D All Stars?

I bought it and received my copy in the mail yesterday. Galaxy was one of my favorite games back in the day and certainly fun to relive Mario 64 although the camera still drives me nuts 24 years later. I had never played Sunshine before so I started it last night and...meh. The controls are somewhat difficult and while the graphics are nice for a game thats 18 years old, I didn't expect it to "feel" like an older game as much as it has. Everyone has been telling me for years how awesome Sunshine is so I'm assuming I will like it the more I play. Also the camera is better than 64 but still a bit clunky and can make things difficult at times.

I don't think I'll flip it on the off chance a physical (opened) copy is worth something in the future since its a limited release. Plus Mario games are always fun to pick up and play IMO. I still play Odyssey and MM2 quite a bit.
0 x
Win it for Fred

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:05 pm

Sooooooo... Microsoft buys Zenimax, huh? Console wars just got reeeaaaaal interesting.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:55 pm

The Logan wrote:Sooooooo... Microsoft buys Zenimax, huh? Console wars just got reeeaaaaal interesting.

The internet has convinced themselves that MS is looking to buy Sega now too.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/ ... c6ca0577fe
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:28 pm

I've recently come into about $400 with the specific directive to spend it on something fun instead of bills.

I currently have a high-quality gaming PC. But I don't have any of the current generation of consoles. None of my friends really plays video games much anymore. So most of what I play tends to be slower, more thoughtful single-player games -- lots of strategy, rpg, and stealth. Some of my top played series are The Elder Scrolls, Civilization, X-Com, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, etc...

Since Microsoft is putting all their exclusives on PC, I don't figure I need an X-Box. But I'm torn between a PS5 or a Switch. I know I've missed out on PS4 Spiderman and Last of Us 2, which will presumably be available on PS5. And I know I've missed out on Animal Crossing and Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle on Switch. But I'm not sure about other exclusives. Especially upcoming stuff.

I'm giving a slight lean to the Switch because I have a daughter who is nearly 3 and might enjoy that stuff soon. But I could be convinced either way. And I have no idea if Nintendo is expected up upgrade their hardware anytime soon. Any thoughts?
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:37 pm

Rob wrote:I've recently come into about $400 with the specific directive to spend it on something fun instead of bills.

I currently have a high-quality gaming PC. But I don't have any of the current generation of consoles. None of my friends really plays video games much anymore. So most of what I play tends to be slower, more thoughtful single-player games -- lots of strategy, rpg, and stealth. Some of my top played series are The Elder Scrolls, Civilization, X-Com, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, etc...

Since Microsoft is putting all their exclusives on PC, I don't figure I need an X-Box. But I'm torn between a PS5 or a Switch. I know I've missed out on PS4 Spiderman and Last of Us 2, which will presumably be available on PS5. And I know I've missed out on Animal Crossing and Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle on Switch. But I'm not sure about other exclusives. Especially upcoming stuff.

I'm giving a slight lean to the Switch because I have a daughter who is nearly 3 and might enjoy that stuff soon. But I could be convinced either way. And I have no idea if Nintendo is expected up upgrade their hardware anytime soon. Any thoughts?

Nintendo always has a nice collection of fun games. Many of them aren’t for me though...I mostly stick to the Mario/Zelda games. Don’t ever buy a ported PS4/XBONE game as the ones I’ve tried are rough (Outer Worlds and AC IV remastered) compared to the originals. Also for getting kids into games, Switch is definitely the king. All 3 of my kids have gotten into video games because the switch is so portable and easy to grab and play. But like all recent Nintendo consoles, the graphics and processing power pale in comparison to Sony/MS current gen. The AC game I had was ported from the PS3 version and honestly was inferior in performance.

One thing to consider is I believe Nintendo is already working on a successor to the Switch so it’s shelf life may be shortish. Nintendo usually ports over its top games from the previous console to the new one..in fact its still doing that as Mario 3D World from the Wii U is still an upcoming switch release so if you think you’ll come into money again it might make sense to wait a year or two. Plus if your 3 year old is like how mine were it will be another 1-2 years until they will really have an interest.

I love my switch but if I was making the choice I’d go PS5
1 x
Win it for Fred

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:15 pm

Rob wrote:I've recently come into about $400 with the specific directive to spend it on something fun instead of bills.

If you get the Switch, do you expect to play it handheld a lot or would you primarily be playing it on your tv? I have both, and when I sit down for a few hours to play games on like Sunday morning, the PS4 is my go to. Spiderman, TLOU, Horizon, etc., I think it has the better single player exclusives pretty easily (as much as I love Zelda and Fire Emblem).

But handheld is a huge game changer. I'd say 90% of my time on the Switch is handheld. I play a ton of indies and retro games in handheld mode while I watch TV. It's awesome. I think if you're going to use both like I do, I'd go Switch because of your daughter (and because that $400 is also gonna get you a couple games in addition to the system). But like UMFan said you're probably getting less time with it, I would imagine Nintendo announces their next hardware in the next year or so.
2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:59 pm

1) Regardless of what you do, get Xbox Gamepass for PC. It has a ton of good games included, and starting in December, will include EA Play.

2) I'm going to vote Switch. PS5 probably has some exclusives you'd like, no doubt. But Nintendo will provide that different "flavor" of gaming than what you get on PC. My playstation and my xbox feel very "same-y" to my PC most of the time. Yeah, Nintendo is gonna be more lighthearted fare, but its exclusives will give you something different to turn to when you're tired of thoughtful games and just wanna bounce on some koopas or play some retro Nintendo games. The mobile aspect doesn't come into play too much for me, but it is nice to take on a plane if we ever are able to actually travel safely again.
1 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:15 pm

Thank you to all of you for weighing in. I've decided to go with the Switch. I hadn't really considered the benefits of handheld mode, and that's likely a gamechanger for me. Being able to keep playing my game after my daughter gets bored and demands we put Moana on the TV strikes me as a scenario that will play itself out time and time again. I'll probably run out and grab one this weekend. Thanks again for all the advice!
3 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:33 am

Anyone else play Hades yet? I just downloaded it tonight and it is very very good. I often don't like roguelikes because I hate losing all my progress, but I feel like this one does a good job of giving you enough permanent upgrades each run through that you don't feel like you're starting from scratch. There's also much more of a coherent story than you typically see from this genre.
0 x

Return to “Social”