North Side Baseball - Home Page

The place for discussion about the Chicago Cubs
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1616 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: RASSLIN
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:57 pm 
Superstar

as an ashamed pro wrestling fan with otherwise good taste in tv (imho), i think it's only fair to discuss rasslin in this thread to spare the people

i'll start. i hate the rock.

google adsense
Post details
 Post subject: Re: RASSLIN
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:59 pm 
is ELL

The Rock entertained me in like his first couple weeks back, he's been a pandering hack for the last couple months.

And Dolph Ziggler needs to stop selling every move like he was shot in the face with a cannon.

Oh, and I love the Miz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:06 pm 
All-Star

Can we talk about what sauces are best for dipping pizza and breadsticks into in this thread? Thanks.

I think the only people who have class are people who carry a bottle of ranch dressing in their pockets and bags.

Last edited by CubInOK on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:06 pm 
Superstar

f the miz, he can't even do a figure 4. which any normal wrestling fan probably applied flawlessly dozens of times when they were 12 years old playing around

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:31 pm 
Hall of Fame

Here's the deal with the Rock. In order to be very successful he needs to be able to push the PG limit and he needs to have a hint of being a heel. All characters work when they are the character turned way up. The Rock was awesome when he was a bullying heel. Big suprise the former football player/son or wrestler was a bully. But, either because Vince wants him as the babyface, or because he doesn't himself want to jeopardize his disney movie audience, he isn't playing that heel at all. Instead he's playing a slightly cooler Rocky Maivia character again, but with his old heel catchphrases.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:59 pm 
Hall of Fame

Man, half the fun was classing up the TV thread full of AV Club snobs.

illiniguy wrote:
Here's the deal with the Rock. In order to be very successful he needs to be able to push the PG limit and he needs to have a hint of being a heel. All characters work when they are the character turned way up. The Rock was awesome when he was a bullying heel. Big suprise the former football player/son or wrestler was a bully. But, either because Vince wants him as the babyface, or because he doesn't himself want to jeopardize his disney movie audience, he isn't playing that heel at all. Instead he's playing a slightly cooler Rocky Maivia character again, but with his old heel catchphrases.

That's a great way of putting it. He's going through the motions with his old catch phrases, but he just doesn't work as a pure face. None of the 90s guy reallly do, it was the ultimate tweener time.

I personally love Punk in full heel mode rather than his shooting tweener schtick. He's pitch perfect as a heel, and it's basically the character he's been working on since he started in the low indies. "I'm gonna walk back up the ramp like a little b$@$%, because it's cool to swear!"

I'm a huge Miz mark. Other than his inexplicably awful stint as an announcer, he's got real mic skills, and that's all I need. He is pretty awkward in the ring, but he's gotten better. You can tell he's put the work in.

I'm starting to sort of buy in to Ziggler. Maybe if he ever gets a prolonged run we can really see if he can hack it as a main eventer, but right now he seems like he's always on the edge of going down the Jack Swagger/Miz chute to jobbing on the mid-card.

Very excited to see where they go with the Shield. They've managed to play it remarkably slowly, which is actually sort of becoming a theme and I like it. We're getting long-term storylines for the first time in decades.

That said, normally I'm a Royal Rumble to Wrestlemania fan, then I check out for the rest of the year. But this year, I'm kind of curious to see what happens in the summer months. Once we get through the perfunctory Twice In a Lifetime: Cena's Redemption, there's a lot of interesting places it could go.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:10 pm 
Hall of Fame

The Shield thing is going awesome so far. I love Ambrose and Rollins. As for the summer, I keep hearing that it is going to be Lesnar and Rock. I really wish they would use these guys to put over new stars.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:22 pm 
5-Time All-Star

Rollins is not going anywhere with that hair.

Also, I'm not crazy about the name "Seth Rollins." Tyler Black was pretty generic, but nobody is intimidated by someone named "Seth."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:23 pm 
5-Time All-Star

KyleJRM wrote:
I'm a huge Miz mark. Other than his inexplicably awful stint as an announcer, he's got real mic skills, and that's all I need. He is pretty awkward in the ring, but he's gotten better. You can tell he's put the work in.

Your credibility is out the window.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:26 pm 
Hall of Fame

Formerly Snayke wrote:
Rollins is not going anywhere with that hair.

Also, I'm not crazy about the name "Seth Rollins." Tyler Black was pretty generic, but nobody is intimidated by someone named "Seth."

Yeah that hair is a trainwreck. That said we all know Roman Reigns is the one they are going to push to the moon. He has the WWE look and is like third cousins with The Rock.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:39 pm 
is ELL

Dean Ambrose's voice is nails on a chalkboard.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:48 pm 
Hall of Fame

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Dean Ambrose's voice is nails on a chalkboard.

He's going to be a heel. Thus the voice works.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:37 pm 
Licks Butts

Why IS The Rock slumming it back in his old career? I always just assumed his movies did at least OK.

Can we talk about how awesome The Rundown is here? Because The Rundown is awesome, you guys.

Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:45 pm 
5-Time All-Star

Nuts&Gum wrote:
Why IS The Rock slumming it back in his old career? I always just assumed his movies did at least OK.

There's nobody left to battle John Cena, and all roads in the WWE lead to John Cena.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:49 pm 
All-Star

Nuts&Gum wrote:

Can we talk about how awesome The Rundown is here? Because The Rundown is awesome, you guys.

They're giving him an absurd amount of money and he gets to promote his movie for free.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:01 pm 
Hall of Fame

NonProfitCow wrote:
Nuts&Gum wrote:

They're giving him an absurd amount of money and he gets to promote his movie for free.

And he's a third generation guy. It's in his blood. Plus the truck of money.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:38 pm 
Superstar

BTW when kassius ohno makes his debut I can finally claim I went to high school with someone famous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:54 pm 
Formerly West Side Rooter

Question for those who watch regularly: who's the Goldberg clone and where did he come from? Is a new guy or recycled IE Issac Yankem DDS->Fake Diesel->Kane. Yeah, I know my 90s rasslin.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:09 pm 

illiniguy wrote:
NonProfitCow wrote:
Nuts&Gum wrote:

And he's a third generation guy. It's in his blood. Plus the truck of money.

I think it also has to do with feeding the hand that fed him. Like a lot of WWE guys, he was a failed football player. Not sure how WWE's developent works, but unlike real sports, they hand pick who the stars will be, or at least the guys who willbe given the opportinty to become stars. WWE made him a huge star, probably their higest profile alum since Hulk Hogan. WWE doesn't have much star power going for them from what I can tell, so it's a classy move on his part to come back, as Hulk used to pretty much every year until he hit Medicare.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:15 pm 
Hall of Fame

Slide Castro Slide wrote:
Question for those who watch regularly: who's the Goldberg clone and where did he come from? Is a new guy or recycled IE Issac Yankem DDS->Fake Diesel->Kane. Yeah, I know my 90s rasslin.

Relatively new. He went under Skip Sheffield for a little while last year, but otherwise he's fairly fresh.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:33 pm 
Blam.

SouthSideRyan wrote:
And Dolph Ziggler needs to stop selling every move like he was shot in the face with a cannon.

Shawn Michaels made a career out of it. Don't hate.

I'm oddly enjoying Jack Thwagger's tea party gimmick. It's a shame he pulled an RVD and will be jobbing to Hornswoggle by summer.

Post subject: RASSLIN
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:42 pm 
All-Star

I'm pretty sure Jake Swagger was a wrestler at Oklahoma in a previous life, so the tea party thing might not be a gimmick.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:42 pm 

SouthSideRyan wrote:

Whenever I've seen that guy, I expect The Road Dogg to be right behind him saying "Oh you didn't know..."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:46 pm 

KyleJRM wrote:

Relatively new. He went under Skip Sheffield for a little while last year, but otherwise he's fairly fresh.

I suppose anything's better than being called Skip Sheffield. With the possible exception of a necrophelia angle. Yup, WWE did one of those too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:49 pm 
Hall of Fame

KyleJRM wrote:

I suppose anything's better than being called Skip Sheffield. With the possible exception of a necrophelia angle. Yup, WWE did one of those too.

He was in the nexus. If you remember that angle that started awesome before Cena buried it.

google adsense
Post details
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1616 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 65  Next