Better Call Saul (Again)

Brian707
All-Star

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby Brian707 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:17 pm

UMFan83 wrote: but apparently Comcast doesn't allow you to set a DVR recording remotely anymore so hopefully I remember when I get home.

1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:34 pm

Brian707 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote: but apparently Comcast doesn't allow you to set a DVR recording remotely anymore so hopefully I remember when I get home.

something to do with TiVo successfully suing Comcast saying that is proprietary technology and Comcast decided that they didnt want to pay TiVo for the rights to do that.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:12 am

So good. Super tense opening scene with Cinnabon Gene and a brutal Jimmy move to end with Mike being Mike sandwiches in the middle.
1 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:47 am

God...after watching that last scene, this is going to be hard to see Jimmy snuffed out forever in favor of Saul. My mouth dropped when he responded to Hamlin.

This show is amazing but sometimes I feel like they have too many balls in the air between the different stories of Jimmy, the cartel and Mike. Obviously these stories are merging together but right now they are in pretty different worlds.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:32 am

UMFan83 wrote:God...after watching that last scene, this is going to be hard to see Jimmy snuffed out forever in favor of Saul. My mouth dropped when he responded to Hamlin.

This show is amazing but sometimes I feel like they have too many balls in the air between the different stories of Jimmy, the cartel and Mike. Obviously these stories are merging together but right now they are in pretty different worlds.

So I decided to take the plunge and I finished watching the first episode of season 4. That was brutal to watch at times...

Spoiler: show
I'm still confused or rather pondering what Jimmy was thinking during those long takes where he's just silent and has that 1000-yard stare. I think he is processing his brother's death and how guilty he feels about it. His brother was a world-class horsefeathers so I feel for Jimmy.

You're right about juggling too many balls in the air and honestly they could've created another spinoff that just focuses on Mike, Nacho, Gus and the Cartel. It would be a darker and more serious spinoff, but it would probably be just as awesome.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:03 pm

‘Better Call Saul’ Season Premiere Recap: Funeral for a Friend

Did the cabbie recognize Gene as Saul? One clue is that he was played by Don Harvey, a busy character actor (he’s one of the uniform cops on The Deuce), whom the production wouldn’t have spent money to fly in from out of town for a nothing part.

Interesting nugget.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:07 pm

Old Style wrote:‘Better Call Saul’ Season Premiere Recap: Funeral for a Friend

Did the cabbie recognize Gene as Saul? One clue is that he was played by Don Harvey, a busy character actor (he’s one of the uniform cops on The Deuce), whom the production wouldn’t have spent money to fly in from out of town for a nothing part.

Interesting nugget.

I had this same thought last night...I recognized the cabbie...so I figured he had to have some level of importance.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:42 pm

Man I was so hoping he was going to say something like “hey weren’t you the lawyer for that Heisenberg guy”? Oh well either way the post-Breaking Bad scenes have ramped up the excitement quite a bit

I love that we are moving somewhere with the Gene stories...I almost thought that it would be very light on plot the whole run, just sort of there to contrast the earlier Jimmy we see in the main show, but this....opens up a crapload of possibilities.
0 x
Win it for Fred

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:20 pm

but the real question is this:

bruce lee or muhammad ali?
2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:48 pm

Does he have a gun?
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:53 am

In a straight scrap I'm taking Bruce all day.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:50 am

1) That episode absolutely flew by, and 2) when Jimmy smiled while feeding the fish I almost horsefeathers my pants.

It's clear that Jimmy feels that he lost a lawyer, not a brother, but Kim won't be ok with this if it keeps up. Particularly if he gleefully tells her about the insurance thing, which I absolutely think he will
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:28 pm

This was fun

1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:44 pm

1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:29 pm

javy knows my name wrote:1) That episode absolutely flew by, and 2) when Jimmy smiled while feeding the fish I almost horsefeathers my pants.

It's clear that Jimmy feels that he lost a lawyer, not a brother, but Kim won't be ok with this if it keeps up. Particularly if he gleefully tells her about the insurance thing, which I absolutely think he will

na. I think Jimmy really felt guilty about his brothers death, basically pushed him into a suicide with the cell phone in pocket bit (Huell!!), When Howard expresses guilt for Chucks death, it washes away Jimmys guilt and gives him one more reason to hate on Howard. Still, quite the loose approach to empathy on Jimmys part
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:37 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
javy knows my name wrote:1) That episode absolutely flew by, and 2) when Jimmy smiled while feeding the fish I almost horsefeathers my pants.

na. I think Jimmy really felt guilty about his brothers death, basically pushed him into a suicide with the cell phone in pocket bit (Huell!!), When Howard expresses guilt for Chucks death, it washes away Jimmys guilt and gives him one more reason to hate on Howard. Still, quite the loose approach to empathy on Jimmys part

Well yeah, but it wasn't the cell phone battery in the pocket that was the instigating moment...It was the insurance trickery that did it.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Banedon wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Well yeah, but it wasn't the cell phone battery in the pocket that was the instigating moment...It was the insurance trickery that did it.

Did Jimmy know about it tho? That all happened within HH&G meaning Jimmy still probably felt some guilt from his own actions. Once he was "off the hook" entirely with Howard's admission, it was all Howard's fault to him and smiles abound. Nevermind his brother was still dead. Enter, Manipulation Jimmy.
Last edited by minnesotacubsfan on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:49 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Banedon wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Did Jimmy know about it tho? That all happened within HH&G meaning Jimmy still probably felt some guilt. Once he was "off the hook", it was Howard's fault to him and smiles abound. Nevermind his brother was still dead

Did Jimmy know about the insurance trickery he foisted upon Chuck?

2 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:53 pm

if I have learned one thing these past few days it's that nearly everyone I know needs to re-watch several episodes before they can talk to me about this show again
3 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:56 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:if I have learned one thing these past few days it's that nearly everyone I know needs to re-watch several episodes before they can talk to me about this show again

I found this helpful to jog my memory after a year away

1 x
Win it for Fred

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:if I have learned one thing these past few days it's that nearly everyone I know needs to re-watch several episodes before they can talk to me about this show again

I damn near stormed out of the house when my wife asked me in the cold open, "so does this take place before or after breaking bad".
2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:07 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Did Jimmy know about it tho? That all happened within HH&G meaning Jimmy still probably felt some guilt. Once he was "off the hook", it was Howard's fault to him and smiles abound. Nevermind his brother was still dead

Did Jimmy know about the insurance trickery he foisted upon Chuck?

no, I mean did Jimmy know the affect of his insurance trickery would get Chuck fired? I mean, that isn't clear to me..I dont remember him being that forward thinking and manipulative in his actions. I thought Jimmy had the view that Chucks firing was of unintended consequences of Jimmy's tirade wanting his money back from the insurance company, combined with the cell phone stunt - hence his guilt. But when Howard comes forward, well, Jimmy is happy because he's essentially duped Howard into taking the blame.

But yea, I could definitely watch a few episodes again...
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Watch the episode again; he's pretty obviously doing it to get Chuck into trouble.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:16 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

I damn near stormed out of the house when my wife asked me in the cold open, "so does this take place before or after breaking bad".

my big dummy girlfriend was all like "did something happen to chuck?"
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:30 pm

I guess that's your cross to bear, losers who didn't know Jimmy put the fix in with the malpractice insurance people.
[whistles like a weight has been lifted off me]

Kim's reaction does not bode well for their relationship.
0 x

Return to “Social”