Better Call Saul (Again)

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:00 am

UMFan83 wrote:
javy knows my name wrote:That little improv bit between Kim and Jimmy is one of my favorite moments of the series.

Spoiler: show
Also, really interesting look to see Jimmy stay mostly static/out of trouble while Kim, Howard, and Mike all backslide around him. Howard's transformation in particular is deeply unsettling; I love it. I wonder how long Jimmy has been torturing him...

Can you explain a little more what you mean about Howard's transformation? I think I know what you are talking about, he has a lot of guilt for Chuck's death and seemingly wants to make it right by hiring Jimmy. I am not sure if this is going to play a larger part in the plot or if this is being depicted as Jimmy's final chance to exit off the Saul Goodman highway before its too late.

My read is - Howard is still super depressed and looking for a friend in Jimmy. I don't think HHM is on the way up and I think that Howard's desperation is very out of his normal character, at least up until Chuck's death - played brilliantly by the actor btw.. I think we're meant to understand that Howard's offer is not a good one for Jimmy, and Howard knows it. That Jimmy is stringing Howard along makes me think he's just interested in horsefeathering with him; I don't think any part of him is actually considering it.
3 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:21 am

Holy horsefeathers. Tonight's episode was INTENSE!
1 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:36 pm

Great episode.
I'm starting to get nervous for Kim and Nacho. Feels like the show is starting to set up their end games. Since this is the Breaking Bad world, most likely both of them will be tragic but I'm hoping at least one has a happy ending.
0 x
Win it for Fred

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:15 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Great episode.
I'm starting to get nervous for Kim and Nacho. Feels like the show is starting to set up their end games. Since this is the Breaking Bad world, most likely both of them will be tragic but I'm hoping at least one has a happy ending.

I don't think Nacho is getting a happy ending. Fring doesn't care about him and the Salmancas are going to catch on.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:17 pm

Did you notice the Nebraska license plates in the opening scene with young Kim and her mom? That leads me to believe she is still alive in a post BB world and maybe that’s why Saul wanted to end up in Omaha. Maybe Cinnabon Gene will try to make amends at some point. I think we get at least one full episode of Gene, maybe the last of the series.
2 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:47 pm

Old Style wrote:

Did you notice the Nebraska license plates in the opening scene with young Kim and her mom? That leads me to believe she is still alive in a post BB world and maybe that’s why Saul wanted to end up in Omaha. Maybe Cinnabon Gene will try to make amends at some point. I think we get at least one full episode of Gene, maybe the last of the series.

It's always been known that Kim grew up in Nebraska though. There have been lots of theories suggesting that Gene ending up in Omaha of all places is not a coincidence but I've always seen it as more of a red herring.

It will be super interesting to see how the last season plays out. We are still a good 4 years from Breaking Bad timeline. But really once Saul has completely severed the ties to Kim/Howard/Jimmy's life and is in bed with Gus' organization, how much of the 4 years of Saul being peak Saul do we need to see? I could see an entire season of Gene to wrap up the Saul character. Or at least part of a season. I definitely think we will see at least an episode. When the flash forwards started in the first couple of seasons, my belief was that it was just to contrast a young ambitious Jimmy with the sad reality of what he became, but obviously the further we've gone there has been a legit plot being built in the Gene timeline that seems likely to have a resolution.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:59 pm

Somehow I missed/forgot about Kim’s childhood location.
0 x

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:17 am

9couple of questions I have been thinking after last night. 1. Was Kim's proposal to Jimmy part of a scam she is playing on him? 2. Will Jimmy defend Lalo?Murder seems out of his league...but it seems almost inevitable
0 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:27 am

“Maybe we get married” destroyed me
1 x

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:46 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:“Maybe we get married” destroyed me

Rhea Seehorn better get that emmy nod this year
5 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:26 am

Tonight’s episode was horsefeathering intense. Gilligan brought the heat again as usual. Kim really horsefeathers up tonight, though. One way or another this will lead to her not being around for Breaking Bad.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:05 am

Old Style wrote:Tonight’s episode was horsefeathering intense. Gilligan brought the heat again as usual. Kim really horsefeathers up tonight, though. One way or another this will lead to her not being around for Breaking Bad.

You’d think you’d get sick of “stuck in the desert” episodes but nope this was one of the better episodes in the BrBa universe
2 x
Win it for Fred

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:37 am

Old Style wrote:Tonight’s episode was horsefeathering intense. Gilligan brought the heat again as usual. Kim really horsefeathers up tonight, though. One way or another this will lead to her not being around for Breaking Bad.

Just caught up.

What the hell was Kim thinking she was going to accomplish there? There was no path for that ending well.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:03 am

Tim wrote:

Just caught up.

What the hell was Kim thinking she was going to accomplish there? There was no path for that ending well.

Left to her own devices, Kim has always been more of a blunt instrument. She tends to attack problems head-on and win through her intelligence and force of personality. It's only when she's stymied that she turns to Jimmy and finds more "novel" approaches.

Without Jimmy around, she followed her gut and attacked the problem head-on. Unfortunately, she underestimated
Lalo. And it's likely to be a big problem for her and Jimmy going forward.
2 x

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:43 am

This episode was fantastic. I was very pleasantly surprised that we left them in the desert at the end. Also love how he's drinking the piss from Davis & Main.

What if Jimmy knows about the Hoover Max Pro Pressure Pack whatever because he had to make Kim disappear for her own safety?

Also I really, really like how they play the Kim/BB crossover. So far, the only people in the BB universe who know Kim are Saul himself and Francesca. Mike still has never met her, and Lalo now knows her but he's not a part of the BB timeline as we know it.
3 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:53 am

javy knows my name wrote:
This episode was fantastic. I was very pleasantly surprised that we left them in the desert at the end. Also love how he's drinking the piss from Davis & Main.

What if Jimmy knows about the Hoover Max Pro Pressure Pack whatever because he had to make Kim disappear for her own safety?

Also I really, really like how they play the Kim/BB crossover. So far, the only people in the BB universe who know Kim are Saul himself and Francesca. Mike still has never met her, and Lalo now knows her but he's not a part of the BB timeline as we know it.

Saul/Jimmy knowing of the Hoover disappearer guy because he had to disappear Kim is something I thought of after the episode and thought that is going/how they write Kim off. But it also would seem to not allow them to meet up in Nebraska when Jimmy/Saul disappears with the Hoover guy because Kim is originally from there and would be easy to track, or at least you’d think she wouldn’t be allowed to disappear to there.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:07 am

Rhea Seehorn deserves an Emmy.
3 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:51 am

That was stressful
3 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:45 am

Holy horsefeathers, Kim. That was horsefeathering awesome.
4 x
In Theo we trust.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:52 am

Ok. I’ve been holding out. I have refused to consider the possibility that BCS is on par with Breaking Bad. Extremely close? Yes definitely. But Breaking Bad had this amazing way of giving me this stomach churning tension where I had to take breaks for a few hours while binging to “recover”. Not saying that this is necessary to be a great TV show, but it was such a unique feeling that it always put Breaking Bad on a pedestal for me. Tonight I got that same feeling during the last scene. And it caused me to reflect on the entire series and how amazingly it is crafted as unique and on its own a fantastic show. Then you add
the same level of tension that boosted much of the last 3 seasons of Breaking Bad and...horsefeathers we are on that level. Not sure I can say it’s better but at the very least these shows are on the same level now in my book
8 x
Win it for Fred

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:04 pm

1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:15 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Ok. I’ve been holding out. I have refused to consider the possibility that BCS is on par with Breaking Bad. Extremely close? Yes definitely. But Breaking Bad had this amazing way of giving me this stomach churning tension where I had to take breaks for a few hours while binging to “recover”. Not saying that this is necessary to be a great TV show, but it was such a unique feeling that it always put Breaking Bad on a pedestal for me. Tonight I got that same feeling during the last scene. And it caused me to reflect on the entire series and how amazingly it is crafted as unique and on its own a fantastic show. Then you add
the same level of tension that boosted much of the last 3 seasons of Breaking Bad and...horsefeathers we are on that level. Not sure I can say it’s better but at the very least these shows are on the same level now in my book

The aspect of BCS that blows everything else away, is how beautiful each scene is shot. It's like watching a moving painting in some parts. As an example, the scene where Jimmy pulls the 100 dollar bill off the cactus and then gets the needle stuck in his foot was incredible.
2 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:35 pm

Saddens me to know that there’s only one episode left this season. Hopefully it doesn’t take as long as usual for the next one. I think I read somewhere that the writers are currently working online on season 6. Hope that’s accurate.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:44 pm

Old Style wrote:Rhea Seehorn deserves an Emmy.

It blows me away that she hasn't really had any staring TV roles before this and that she is FORTY SEVEN years old!?!?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:38 am

UMFan83 wrote:Ok. I’ve been holding out. I have refused to consider the possibility that BCS is on par with Breaking Bad. Extremely close? Yes definitely. But Breaking Bad had this amazing way of giving me this stomach churning tension where I had to take breaks for a few hours while binging to “recover”. Not saying that this is necessary to be a great TV show, but it was such a unique feeling that it always put Breaking Bad on a pedestal for me. Tonight I got that same feeling during the last scene. And it caused me to reflect on the entire series and how amazingly it is crafted as unique and on its own a fantastic show. Then you add

Welcome. From the very beginning of Saul, I've been so appreciative of how they could make such (comparitively) mundane subject matter so affecting. It's been a blast to watch them get closer and closer to the gravitas of BB without you really realizing it. Here we are at the end game, and it's breathtaking, man
4 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Return to “Social”