Better Call Saul (Again)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Banedon wrote:
Castro's Spray Chart wrote:And yeah, I was devastated watch Chuck tear his own house apart, despite it being right after the most righteous smackdown he's received all series.

I thought he was gonna end up electrocuting himself doing that...although I suppose him dying by electricity would've been just a smidge on the nose. I was seriously uncomfortable watching that scene though.

Same here; it starts off very much in satisfying "horsefeathers CHUCK"-mode, right down to the music, but then it just keeps building and building to something that I did not expect to have such a reaction to (and, again, the music playing such a huge part, as it slowly morphs into something weird and ominous; felt a bit like something Jonny Greenwood would come up with for a PTA film). Like, I felt stressed and antsy watching it happen; just someone having a complete and total breakdown and continually crossing lines that you have trouble seeing them coming back from. It did very much, like CSC mentioned, feel like how The Conversation ended, except even more intense since it was completely in Chuck's mind. Sure, in TC, Harry Caul is giving in to his paranoia and frustration, but at that point we've seen he has some legit reasons to feel that way; with this, this is someone just toppling off of a cliff because of something that's just in his head.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:36 pm

I didn't watch any of the talk show afterwards; did they confirm Chuck's fate in any way? As definitive as it could be seen as an ending for him, I just have trouble thinking that such a big character (and great performance) will be gone from the show, or simply relegated to things like flashbacks or (urgh) dream sequences.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I didn't watch any of the talk show afterwards; did they confirm Chuck's fate in any way? I have trouble thinking that such a big character will be gone from the show, or simply relegated to things like flashbacks or (urgh) dream sequences.

Peter Gould specifically mentioned flashbacks and how they play with time, and coyly mentioned something about chuck being in a tough situation. But it wasn't really confirmed in the few minutes I watched.

nerdist guy did mention his death multiple times though
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I didn't watch any of the talk show afterwards; did they confirm Chuck's fate in any way? As definitive as it could be seen as an ending for him, I just have trouble thinking that such a big character (and great performance) will be gone from the show, or simply relegated to things like flashbacks or (urgh) dream sequences.

I figured the little suicide PSA message at the end pretty much confirmed it, but i guess it would be appropriate even if the suicide attempt was failed. That said, Variety interviewed Peter Gould about this and while he didn't come out and say he's dead, it's heavily implied:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/better- ... 202471664/
Variety: I’ve got to ask: Is Chuck dead?

Peter Gould: I don’t want to define anything more than what’s on screen. I will say that we try to avoid something that we call “schmuck bait.” Which, to us — the term means making it look like something really big happened to get people to keep watching, and then as soon as they keep watching you take it off the table. So it looks like your main character is dead and then it turns out immediately that they’re not. That’s schmuck bait. So we try not to do that. We try to play fair with the audience, and I think it’s — what you see is what you get. This is a guy that’s in this house that’s filled with these lanterns with flammable fuel. And he’s got stacks of newspaper and books all around him. So, really, it doesn’t look too good.

Can you tell me if Michael McKean is coming back next season?

Well, here’s what I would say: We’re not done with the character Chuck McGill. But on our show, that could mean a lot of things, because we have the ability to go back and forth in time. I don’t think I can be incredibly specific, because the writers room for season four has not opened yet! Anything that’s not on screen is something that we feel free to play with, so that’s the best I can do. It really looks bad for Chuck, to me, and I think that there has to be some consequences, for sure, to what happened. The big piece of suspense for me is not necessarily just what happened to Chuck, but what’s going to happen to Jimmy when he finds out what’s happened. I think that’s the great piece of suspense for me.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Personally, I'd prefer it if he wasn't dead; McKean is just so good on the show. Flashbacks work to a point in helping flesh out the relationship he and Jimmy had, but, to be honest, I don't really care about who Chuck was; he's more interesting seeing how he deals with having his back against the wall.

I hope it's a situation like the season 2 premier, where season 1 seemingly ended with Jimmy seemingly very definitively deciding to become Saul, and then they immediately walked that back/took an unexpected turn as soon as season 2 began.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:28 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I didn't watch any of the talk show afterwards; did they confirm Chuck's fate in any way? I have trouble thinking that such a big character will be gone from the show, or simply relegated to things like flashbacks or (urgh) dream sequences.

Peter Gould specifically mentioned flashbacks and how they play with time, and coyly mentioned something about chuck being in a tough situation. But it wasn't really confirmed in the few minutes I watched.

nerdist guy did mention his death multiple times though

Gould also reiterated what UMFan posted, that even if he were dead, we'd be seeing him again. I believe "you can't lose a character like Chuck" was uttered.

Also, the talk show is well worth watching, mainly because I got to spike the football with Gould confirming the last scene was inspired by The Conversation, immediately followed by McKean mentioning one of my favorite Bradbury short stories. I almost passed out from all the boners.
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Castro's Spray Chart wrote:Gould confirming the last scene was inspired by The Conversation

Between that and Chuck's obviously inspired by-The Caine Mutiny-meltdown on the stand, I'd be happy if they only used Chuck to recreate great movie freak outs from now on.

0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Castro's Spray Chart wrote:Gould confirming the last scene was inspired by The Conversation

Between that and Chuck's obviously inspired by-The Caine Mutiny-meltdown on the stand, I'd be happy if they only used Chuck to recreate great movie freak outs from now on.

He also had a nice "Here's Johnny" moment during the destruction of his house.
1 x
Win it for Fred

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:02 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Personally, I'd prefer it if he wasn't dead; McKean is just so good on the show. Flashbacks work to a point in helping flesh out the relationship he and Jimmy had, but, to be honest, I don't really care about who Chuck was; he's more interesting seeing how he deals with having his back against the wall.

I hope it's a situation like the season 2 premier, where season 1 seemingly ended with Jimmy seemingly very definitively deciding to become Saul, and then they immediately walked that back/took an unexpected turn as soon as season 2 began.

i fully expect season 4 to open with chuck running out of the house to safety after a brief struggle
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:05 pm

David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Personally, I'd prefer it if he wasn't dead; McKean is just so good on the show. Flashbacks work to a point in helping flesh out the relationship he and Jimmy had, but, to be honest, I don't really care about who Chuck was; he's more interesting seeing how he deals with having his back against the wall.

i fully expect season 4 to open with chuck running out of the house to safety after a brief struggle

Though Chuck is the kind of stubborn prick who would decide to still let himself burn to death after changing his mind because he doesn't want to be indecisive.
2 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:07 pm

What happens to Chuck's money from the buyout if he dies/becomes incapacitated? You would think with his hate for Jimmy and thoroughness he would have pre-planned to make sure he doesn't touch it.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Also: between Kim's trip to Blockbuster and the HooliCon VR presentation on Silicon Valley, that's TWO prestige shows dropping Jamiroquai references in the same week. Just when I thought 90's musical throwbacks couldn't get more embarrassing than Sublime...
2 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:02 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:42 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

i'm an idiot and thus have no idea wtf is going on here
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:47 pm

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

they think walter white is at the blockbuster video since the person in the background is wearing a green jacket/shirt like walt does in the three breaking bad screenshots.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:48 pm

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

I kept staring at the pics for what felt like 5 minutes before I figured it out.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:52 pm

Michael McKean sounds pretty definitive about Chuck's fate in this NYT interview:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/19/arts ... chuck.html
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:00 pm

cl smooth wrote:
David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

they think walter white is at the blockbuster video since the person in the background is wearing a green jacket/shirt like walt does in the three breaking bad screenshots.

OH
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:39 pm

0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:What happens to Chuck's money from the buyout if he dies/becomes incapacitated? You would think with his hate for Jimmy and thoroughness he would have pre-planned to make sure he doesn't touch it.

Does anyone other than Chuck & Hamlin know about the buyout? All that was said to the rest of the firm was that Chuck was leaving and it was only the two of them in the conference room when Hamlin handed over the check. I doubt Chuck even deposited it in the bank.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Old Style wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:What happens to Chuck's money from the buyout if he dies/becomes incapacitated? You would think with his hate for Jimmy and thoroughness he would have pre-planned to make sure he doesn't touch it.

Does anyone other than Chuck & Hamlin know about the buyout? All that was said to the rest of the firm was that Chuck was leaving and it was only the two of them in the conference room when Hamlin handed over the check. I doubt Chuck even deposited it in the bank.

Hamlin had to take out loans, whose purpose must have been documented. The entire firm knew Chuck was leaving and all of the partners had to know the only way Chuck would be gone is he he was bought out. The buy-out had been an issue since before the series began. Plus I would be surprised if Chuck didn't document it somehow. He's not Ty Webb leaving huge checks lying around the house.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:26 pm

Old Style wrote:

A couple of things:

1) The only way for a partner to leave is to buy out their share of the company right? So there are a couple hundred people that know. Since Kim was working there within the last year, I'm sure the news would travel to her before long.

2) I'm pretty sure HHM would still have to buy out his estate upon his death, so it doesn't matter if anyone knew about the buyout, his estate would still be owed those funds.

Given Chuck's mental state I am guessing he didn't revise his will immediately before dying. But knowing people with similar personality traits to Chuck (my dad unfortunately), he probably updated it recently and probably included specific language to exclude Jimmy, who would be the most likely beneficiary if there was no will (right? I'm guessing on a lot of this as I'm not a lawyer). It's possible he gives his estate to his ex-wife who seems to be the only person besides Jimmy that he cares about.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:34 pm

I could see Chuck leaving everything to a law school or something.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Whatever happened to Ernie? I hope we see him in season 4 and it is confirmed that he is indeed related to Gus as many have speculated.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Old Style wrote:Whatever happened to Ernie? I hope we see him in season 4 and it is confirmed that he is indeed related to Gus as many have speculated.

Ernie got fired and then...went away.

Why would he possibly be related to Gu-OHHHHHHHHHH, right.

My favorite insane BCS theory that has inexplicably cropped up after the finale is that Kim is going to get hooked on painkillers (or worse) solely because of her "always the good stuff" line, and she becomes Wendy or "Skank" on BB.

And by "my favorite," I mean, "this is absurdly dumb; how do these people even manage to just watch TV without choking on the remote?"
0 x

Return to “Social”