Better Call Saul (Again)

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby BigbadB » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:44 pm

Great first new episode. Can't wait to see how this season unfolds.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:15 pm

I'm having fun re-watching season 1 while my girlfriend gets up to speed. The "Five-O" episode was just on (Mike's back story). Holy horsefeathers, that's one of my favorite single episodes of any series ever.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:20 pm

Jimmy is gonna ruin Kim's life, isn't he?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:04 pm

Banedon wrote:Jimmy is gonna ruin Kim's life, isn't he?

Probably, he's got to.

But this brings up something that I've been finding odd with discussing about the show. Many people have said something to the effect of "in Breaking Bad we know Kim isn't around." But all we know of Jimmy/Saul in BB is how his life linked directly with Walt. We don't know what he was doing outside of his meth times, other than he had a lot of poor clients in some form of trouble. For all we know he was sleeping with her throughout the entirety of BB.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:09 pm

The change from Jimmy to Saul seems drastic enough that it's pretty safe to assume that he was effectively starting a new life and leaving everyone and everything that we're seeing in BCS behind. It would be odd if he was still hooking up with Kim on the side after something like that.

I think it's also kinda lazy how so many people assume something terrible must happen to Kim. I think it'll be much more devastating when she wants nothing to do with him/he has to leave her behind as opposed to "OMG, HOW DOES KIM DIE?!?"
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:22 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:The change from Jimmy to Saul seems drastic enough that it's pretty safe to assume that he was effectively starting a new life and leaving everyone and everything that we're seeing in BCS behind. It would be odd if he was still hooking up with Kim on the side after something like that.

I think it's also kinda lazy how so many people assume something terrible must happen to Kim. I think it'll be much more devastating when she wants nothing to do with him/he has to leave her behind as opposed to "OMG, HOW DOES KIM DIE?!?"

yeah, but that's the assumption people are making, she's gone and somehow dead.

and in the very first episode they already showed how easy it is to destroy the assumptions when even the writers figure Jimmy didn't bother going in to the meeting with Stan Sitwell, but to start season 2 they decide to have him go in, only to blow off the potential offer, momentarily.

They were going to kill Jesse Pinkman in season 1 of BB and did not.

There is just no reason to assume that since we do not see Kim in BB she must be long gone in this show.

Maybe this show ends with Kim visiting her in-laws in latter day Omaha and heading to the mall for some Black Friday sales event and stopping by for some sweet cinnabunny goodness.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:38 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Maybe this show ends with Kim visiting her in-laws in latter day Omaha and heading to the mall for some Black Friday sales event and stopping by for some sweet cinnabunny goodness.

Now I definitely could see something along these lines; like the final season of the series is set post-BB and we see Kim showing up again.

Plus there's plenty of reasons to assume Kim (and most of the other "civilians" in BCB) largely isn't in his life during BB...namely that he's Saul Goodman at that point and not Jimmy McGill. I doubt the series is building to only, "and then he just changed his name and opened up his sweet strip mall office and everything else stayed the same!"
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:45 pm

Yeah, I didn't mean that Kim was gonna die. I'd be pretty disappointed with the writers if they went that route. But I think he could very well ruin her life, like Walt did to Skyler.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:58 pm

Banedon wrote:Yeah, I didn't mean that Kim was gonna die. I'd be pretty disappointed with the writers if they went that route. But I think he could very well ruin her life, like Walt did to Skyler.

I wasn't even referring to you, just the people who keep saying/writing "we know she's not around". They base it on the fact that she's not seen or heard from in Breaking Bad, which I find bizarre. The show was about Walt and the people in his life. She very easily could have been around. It's not like Saul is going to great lengths to pretend he was never Jimmy. He admits to it in the show and stays in the same small town he started his law career with an apparent side trip to Santa Fe mixed in and he is spending time with at least one guy who knows him as both names.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:19 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:Yeah, I didn't mean that Kim was gonna die. I'd be pretty disappointed with the writers if they went that route. But I think he could very well ruin her life, like Walt did to Skyler.

I wasn't even referring to you, just the people who keep saying/writing "we know she's not around". They base it on the fact that she's not seen or heard from in Breaking Bad, which I find bizarre. The show was about Walt and the people in his life. She very easily could have been around. It's not like Saul is going to great lengths to pretend he was never Jimmy. He admits to it in the show and stays in the same small town he started his law career with an apparent side trip to Santa Fe mixed in and he is spending time with at least one guy who knows him as both names.

It's really not that bizarre; even with his life on on the line, I doubt Saul would have been hauling ass so readily at the end of BB if people he cared for were still in his life.

It would just seem odd if they revealed that Saul was basically living his same life as Jimmy during BB, but changed his name and opened up his own practice. He's clearly much, much deeper into the underworld than he is at this point on BCS, so it's a safe a bet a lot changes in his life. Kim no longer being part of it would be a huge reason for him giving up completely on Jimmy McGill.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:28 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

It's really not that bizarre; even with his life on on the line, I doubt Saul would have been hauling ass so readily at the end of BB if people he cared for were still in his life.

Really? His life was on the line. And I'm not saying they were married or even dating with a very close relationship.

The fact is they wrote that long before coming up with Kim. And it would be very easy to have her still in ABQ with some sort of relationship with Jimmy/Saul the day he met Walt or even the day he left town. It just makes no sense to say she's obviously not around or can't be around. The story that has been laid out so far does not make that an inevitability.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:32 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:It would just seem odd if they revealed that Saul was basically living his same life as Jimmy during BB, but changed his name and opened up his own practice. He's clearly much, much deeper into the underworld than he is at this point on BCS, so it's a safe a bet a lot changes in his life. Kim no longer being part of it would be a huge reason for him giving up completely on Jimmy McGill.

right now I think the explanation he gave on Breaking Bad could easily stand up to whatever happens in this show. the name change was a marketing gimmick for his criminal lawyer needing clients.

He's still in ABQ, where he was famous enough to land on the front page of a newspaper as Jimmy. If he changed his name for being deep in the underworld/everything has blown up reasons, why is he staying in the same town?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:35 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:Really? His life was on the line. And I'm not saying they were married or even dating with a very close relationship.

Yes, I said his life was on the line; he was clearly a guy who could pick up and take off if needed because he didn't have the baggage someone like Walt have.

The fact is they wrote that long before coming up with Kim. And it would be very easy to have her still in ABQ with some sort of relationship with Jimmy/Saul the day he met Walt or even the day he left town. It just makes no sense to say she's obviously not around or can't be around. The story that has been laid out so far does not make that an inevitability.

Well, around, sure; I wouldn't be surprise if Kim doesn't actually leave town or something and instead she and Jimmy just no longer have anything to do with each other. Obviously given the nature of when these stories are being told they had no idea about Kim or Jimmy's brother and the like when they were writing BB; hell, Mike was just supposed to be a one and done dude who did work for Saul when he first showed up. I just doubt Saul is having kooky adventures or much of anything to do with the people from BCS by the time BB takes place, mainly because by that point he's neck deep in a world that I doubt those people would want anything to do with or HE'D want them to have anything to do with.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:37 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:It would just seem odd if they revealed that Saul was basically living his same life as Jimmy during BB, but changed his name and opened up his own practice. He's clearly much, much deeper into the underworld than he is at this point on BCS, so it's a safe a bet a lot changes in his life. Kim no longer being part of it would be a huge reason for him giving up completely on Jimmy McGill.

right now I think the explanation he gave on Breaking Bad could easily stand up to whatever happens in this show. the name change was a marketing gimmick for his criminal lawyer needing clients.

He's still in ABQ, where he was famous enough to land on the front page of a newspaper as Jimmy. If he changed his name for being deep in the underworld/everything has blown up reasons, why is he staying in the same town?

I'm not saying he changed his name to hide from anyone or anything; I'm saying it's painfully obvious that they're writing this with the idea that the moment he shifts from Jimmy to Saul will have been built up to as meaning something big and will likely be accompanied by some pretty dramatic shifts in his life as opposed to just, "hey, I'm changing my name because it looks better on bus bench, but other than that we're still gonna hang out and everything will be pretty much the same!"
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:09 pm

The Hoboken squat cobbler scene had me rolling. Pure Saul Goodman horsefeathers right there.
1 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:52 pm

I was wondering throughout why the episode was called "Cobbler". Huge payoff there.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:55 pm

Old Style wrote:The Hoboken squat cobbler scene had me rolling. Pure Saul Goodman [expletive] right there.

it's been my location for ~2 months now
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:03 pm

a reminder:

2 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:59 pm

holy horsefeathers, you just blew my mind jersey
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:19 am

That was absolutely amazing
0 x

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:50 am

Amazing.
0 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:37 pm

wut happened
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:12 pm

i was watching that last night and laughing my ass off
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:53 pm

Odenkirk at his comedic-timing best...LMAO. Apparently, he also made sure the writers came up w/ the term Hoboken Squat Cobbler...it seems they didn't have a name for that fetish when Odenkirk initially saw the script.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:51 pm

0 x

Return to “Social”