Better Call Saul (Again)

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9183
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1507
x 652

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby javy knows my name » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:51 pm

My take was that Kim isn't sure she wants all that work after all she's been through now. Pretty telling when she let her paralegal write the first draft and didn't have any re-writes after being very adamant about writing it originally
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38106
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 1
x 1402

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby soccer10k » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:17 pm

javy knows my name wrote:My take was that Kim isn't sure she wants all that work after all she's been through now. Pretty telling when she let her paralegal write the first draft and didn't have any re-writes after being very adamant about writing it originally


Yeah, she had to do so much with just the couple banks (not sure how many) and now they want to build a bunch more and deal with federal regulations.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9183
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1507
x 652

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby javy knows my name » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:27 pm

Far more interesting is her reaction ay the end. I think the vitriol that Kim had for Howard last episode was in large part her convincing herself that Jimmy's strange behavior was because he was really upset with Howard. Now she sees he actually really doesn't give a horsefeathers, like she feared.
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 67284
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5897
x 5722

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby Banedon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:34 pm

javy knows my name wrote:Far more interesting is her reaction ay the end. I think the vitriol that Kim had for Howard last episode was in large part her convincing herself that Jimmy's strange behavior was because he was really upset with Howard. Now she sees he actually really doesn't give a horsefeathers, like she feared.


Another interpretation I saw of that final scene is that Kim was so worried about giving Jimmy that letter, and that him being completely unaffected by it made her feel like a fool for caring.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 78688
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3016
x 4750
Contact:

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:59 pm

What do you think of the theory that Mesa Verde is laundering money for Gus? Smallish bank operation all of the sudden aggressively expanding (into the states that just so happen to be the same states that blue meth is found in BB). Seems like a nice way to tie the plotlines together as well as a possible explanation for Kim's eventual disappearance.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9183
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1507
x 652

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:05 pm

UMFan83 wrote:What do you think of the theory that Mesa Verde is laundering money for Gus? Smallish bank operation all of the sudden aggressively expanding (into the states that just so happen to be the same states that blue meth is found in BB). Seems like a nice way to tie the plotlines together as well as a possible explanation for Kim's eventual disappearance.


I think that is patently stupid and totally beneath this show
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9183
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1507
x 652

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:06 pm

In fact, I think Mesa Verde is about done as a plot point. It's time for Kim to do something more interesting.
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 78688
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3016
x 4750
Contact:

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:08 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:What do you think of the theory that Mesa Verde is laundering money for Gus? Smallish bank operation all of the sudden aggressively expanding (into the states that just so happen to be the same states that blue meth is found in BB). Seems like a nice way to tie the plotlines together as well as a possible explanation for Kim's eventual disappearance.


I think that is patently stupid and totally beneath this show


Fair enough. I also question whether a bank would be a good place to launder money with all the additional regulation and oversight that banks have. But I just wonder about Kim's reaction to seeing the giant expansion plans. Seems weird that she would just be overwhelmed. And was it explained why she had to make a stop at the courthouse on the way back (not that this necessarily ties back to any theories, but I thought that was odd)?

Just saw it on reddit and thought I'd share.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9183
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1507
x 652

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:11 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
javy knows my name wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:What do you think of the theory that Mesa Verde is laundering money for Gus? Smallish bank operation all of the sudden aggressively expanding (into the states that just so happen to be the same states that blue meth is found in BB). Seems like a nice way to tie the plotlines together as well as a possible explanation for Kim's eventual disappearance.


I think that is patently stupid and totally beneath this show


Fair enough. I also question whether a bank would be a good place to launder money with all the additional regulation and oversight that banks have. But I just wonder about Kim's reaction to seeing the giant expansion plans. Seems weird that she would just be overwhelmed. And was it explained why she had to make a stop at the courthouse on the way back (not that this necessarily ties back to any theories, but I thought that was odd)?

Just saw it on reddit and thought I'd share.


Yeah, I understand it's not your theory but that would be a really ham-fisted coincidence that the writers of this show just do not do. I think it's pretty clear Kim is not really ready to go back to work and was overwhelmed by the mountain of work in front of her. I think she's up for a radical life change, and I'm here for it.
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 17172
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: THE HONORABLE JUDGE PRICK
x 1357
x 717

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:22 pm

javy knows my name wrote:In fact, I think Mesa Verde is about done as a plot point. It's time for Kim to do something more interesting.


Nah. Thats her meal ticket. Shes a rock star, Jimmy is a con artist. I think MV serves as a cleaver, a way to take Kim out of the conversation.
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60534
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2911
x 10089

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:49 pm

Breaking Bad begins in 2008. The credit crisis began in 2007, but the bubble began to burst in 2006. Mesa Verde is expanding at an alarming rate and I couldn't help but assume it is going to collapse at some point in the course of this show. Maybe Kim spots the obvious collapse and makes billions shorting the horsefeathers out of whatever bank eventually buys Mesa Verde.

I don't really get the "ham-fisted" critique about Mesa Verde laundering money. US Banks have been busted for laundering money related to drug cartels. It's likely that Mesa Verde is expanding so fast because of the reckless lending that was going on at the time, but I see no reason why there can't be some drug money involved. And I would expect the writers to do it well if they do go down that road.

Either way, Kim knows she can't handle the work and she's starting to regret standing up for Jimmy.
4 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
CubInOK
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6781
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 1:08 am
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
x 1479
x 464

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby CubInOK » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:01 am

5 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 78688
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3016
x 4750
Contact:

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:36 am

Really seems like
Spoiler: show
Nacho is the Jesse of BCS
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Old Style
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9474
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 5033
x 577

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby Old Style » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:43 pm

This episode was a bit slow IMO but I loved Mike going off on the dude in their group. Just cut the MF'er to threads. Lol.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 81283
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 12490
x 15058

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:30 pm

I'm a week behind because of the lack of cable, but I just keep getting reminded of why I usually no longer seek out reviews of shows like this. The AV Club comments section is mostly people griping about how a BB prequel is spending too much time exploring the world BB is set in pre-BB, and a completely ridiculous debate about whether or not the letter from Chuck to Jimmy was actually written by Chuck. Yeesh.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 78688
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3016
x 4750
Contact:

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:32 am

Omg
Spoiler: show
we went to a timeline we’ve never gone before on BCS
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
rocket
Superstar
Posts: 18441
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:48 am
Location: Dayton, Ohio
x 468
x 360
Contact:

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby rocket » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:51 pm

that episode ruled
0 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 17172
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: THE HONORABLE JUDGE PRICK
x 1357
x 717

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:05 pm

Does Kim miss litigation or what? I’m not sure I understand her need to defend the lowlies
0 x
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 67284
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5897
x 5722

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby Banedon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:06 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:Does Kim miss litigation or what? I’m not sure I understand her need to defend the lowlies


Yeah, I think she just misses making a difference in people's lives. Working on some bank expansion isn't fulfilling in the same way.
2 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60534
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2911
x 10089

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Banedon wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:Does Kim miss litigation or what? I’m not sure I understand her need to defend the lowlies


Yeah, I think she just misses making a difference in people's lives. Working on some bank expansion isn't fulfilling in the same way.

She has a real need to help people who refuse to help themselves, like Jimmy. And that'll be part of the realization of why their relationship is toxic. Seems like she's going to be getting out of the bank business and moving into the more legit, but potentially less lucrative area of criminal defense that Jimmy gets into. Is she the lawyer Saul recommends to Francesca? My first thought was Hamlin.

Jimmy getting jumped after his selling spree was very predictable, but also fun nonetheless.
I'm kind of surprised we are halfway through the season and Kim is still wearing her cast.

Fun fact, Denver is 420 miles from Albuquerque if you go west out of Denver before turning south.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 78688
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3016
x 4750
Contact:

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:03 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Is she the lawyer Saul recommends to Francesca?


Yeah but Francesca already knows Kim and the way Saul worded it made it seem like someone she's never met before. I think you are right about Hamlin. The future-verse is getting super interesting this season.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60534
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2911
x 10089

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:15 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Is she the lawyer Saul recommends to Francesca?


Yeah but Francesca already knows Kim and the way Saul worded it made it seem like someone she's never met before. I think you are right about Hamlin. The future-verse is getting super interesting this season.

Yeah I was thinking a firm she may have moved to, but it would have to be one that knows Jimmy as Jimmy.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 67284
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5897
x 5722

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby Banedon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:43 pm

I really need to rewatch BB, cuz I don't remember what you guys are talking about. But I have so many shows to watch that i haven't already seen that I don't know when I'll get back to it.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60534
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2911
x 10089

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:51 pm

Banedon wrote:I really need to rewatch BB, cuz I don't remember what you guys are talking about. But I have so many shows to watch that i haven't already seen that I don't know when I'll get back to it.

I was just talking about the opening scene to the most recent episode, where Saul is preparing his escape from ABQ via Robert Forster's character. It takes place between the 3rd to last and penultimate episode of BB. Francesca helps him shred documents. She was the assistant that Jimmy and Kim hired when they had a shared office in BCS.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 67284
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5897
x 5722

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby Banedon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:59 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:I really need to rewatch BB, cuz I don't remember what you guys are talking about. But I have so many shows to watch that i haven't already seen that I don't know when I'll get back to it.

I was just talking about the opening scene to the most recent episode, where Saul is preparing his escape from ABQ via Robert Forster's character. It takes place between the 3rd to last and penultimate episode of BB. Francesca helps him shred documents. She was the assistant that Jimmy and Kim hired when they had a shared office in BCS.


Oh, gotcha. Sorry I just didn't place Francesca's name...I follow now.
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests