Better Call Saul (Again)

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:24 am

Tim wrote:Also...how long until next season?

I WANT IT NOW

Seriously, 10 episodes is not long enough if there is going to be another 15-18 months between seasons.

Are we thinking 1 or 2 more seasons? Reading Alan Sepinwals post-season discussion with Gould tonight makes me think probably 2. We’re getting close to the end game but still not quite there.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:37 am

UMFan83 wrote:
Tim wrote:Also...how long until next season?

I WANT IT NOW

Seriously, 10 episodes is not long enough if there is going to be another 15-18 months between seasons.

Are we thinking 1 or 2 more seasons? Reading Alan Sepinwals post-season discussion with Gould tonight makes me think probably 2. We’re getting close to the end game but still not quite there.

I hope we get at least 2, 3-4 would be ideal. I think there’s enough they can do/expand on without it feeling dragged out. Only 1 more it would seem like things got rushed.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:45 am

I thought only one more but I’d be thrilled with two.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

r_mack
Starter

Postby r_mack » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:57 am

Lalo is an amazing character. Need an entire season of him.
0 x

r_mack
Starter

Postby r_mack » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:23 am

Old Style wrote:I thought only one more but I’d be thrilled with two.

They renewed the show without saying that Season 5 would be the last season, think that's pretty telling that we'll get at least 2 more.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:48 pm

So the lab was built by Werner and destroyed by Heisenberg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Heisenberg
1 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:25 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:I hope we get at least 2, 3-4 would be ideal. I think there’s enough they can do/expand on without it feeling dragged out. Only 1 more it would seem like things got rushed.

I think 2 is probably the most realistic. It really depends on how much they are going to go into concurrent BB and post BB.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:28 pm

Yeah, I think 2 makes the most sense. 20 more episodes is, IMO, more than enough to see how he gets to where is he now to BB Saul, who was willing to have guys killed in prison at the drop of a hat. And, realistically, they don't need to devote much time to the post-BB scenes outside of what they've been doing.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:50 am

Old Style wrote:The heartbreak on Kim’s face at the end. :(

Yeah. She really wants to believe that Jimmy is sincere and she’s realizing more and more that he isn’t.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:14 pm

Kim is almost being portrayed as a victim of abuse at this time. She keeps justifying Jimmy's behavior, distancing herself, then coming back in to the relationship. That relationship is just going to get so much worse next season, and I am going to guess they will have one more full season, then a final season with a smaller number of longer episodes.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:55 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Kim is almost being portrayed as a victim of abuse at this time. She keeps justifying Jimmy's behavior, distancing herself, then coming back in to the relationship. That relationship is just going to get so much worse next season, and I am going to guess they will have one more full season, then a final season with a smaller number of longer episodes.

Does anyone think the last episode will be when Saul is introduced in the BB world, told from his perspective?
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:25 pm

CubinNY wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Kim is almost being portrayed as a victim of abuse at this time. She keeps justifying Jimmy's behavior, distancing herself, then coming back in to the relationship. That relationship is just going to get so much worse next season, and I am going to guess they will have one more full season, then a final season with a smaller number of longer episodes.

Does anyone think the last episode will be when Saul is introduced in the BB world, told from his perspective?

I'm thinking it ends with Gene getting discovered by law enforcement in Nebraska.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Old Style wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

I'm thinking it ends with Gene getting discovered by law enforcement in Nebraska.

or lalo offs him
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:13 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Old Style wrote:
CubinNY wrote:Does anyone think the last episode will be when Saul is introduced in the BB world, told from his perspective?

or lalo offs him

Lalo doesn't exactly seem like the type to lay low during the events of BB, nor does Gus seem like the type to not be determined like crazy to take out someone like Lalo when he's making his power play in BB. This finale shows that Lalo is like the perfect mix of cunning and superhuman ability to somehow crawl through a drop ceiling AND Salamanca crazy/viciousness.

My guess is that whatever Saul is so freaked out over in the desert with Walt and Jesse actually involves Nacho and Lalo clashing with that Declan guy from the "you're goddamned right" scene in BB.
1 x

r_mack
Starter

Postby r_mack » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:22 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Yeah, I think 2 makes the most sense. 20 more episodes is, IMO, more than enough to see how he gets to where is he now to BB Saul, who was willing to have guys killed in prison at the drop of a hat. And, realistically, they don't need to devote much time to the post-BB scenes outside of what they've been doing.

I think they can go 10 and then split off the last season in 2 parts (8 episodes each maybe?) like they did with Breaking Bad. There's still a lot of story to tell in Saul's time and then you can end it with Gene.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:40 am

Sure, they COULD end it with Gene....but it wouldn't surprise me if the glimpses we see of Gene aren't just a drawn out ending a la, "look at how this guy ended up after everything we see happen to him." Like, he thinks people are out to get him, largely because he still wants to thin he's some kind of a big deal, but no; he's just Gene the Cinnabon manager in Omaha now. I think I'd actually prefer it that way; that we see it in B&W makes it seem so flat and lifeless.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:59 am

I will say I'm kinda surprised we didn't get any more Gene at the end of the season.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Banedon wrote:I will say I'm kinda surprised we didn't get any more Gene at the end of the season.

I think a lot of that is that these are only 10 episode seasons, and there's only so much they can do with the Gene stuff. Like, how many different ways can you show that he's now a depressed food court schlub?

The more I think about, there's so little they can really do on that end. The guy has nothing left; if scary taxi guy actually was a hitman or something...so what? Gene gets killed. The cops are after him...so what? There's nobody left for him to rat on or cut a deal over, and there's nobody in his corner. Bot of those endings are, IMO, only moderately more exciting or interesting than him just being stuck as Gene; all three are just variations on Jimmy McGill being resigned to a crappy fate.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Gene stuff just end up being window dressing that punctuates how low he ends up after all is said and done. He doesn't get to go out sticking it to anyone, or in a blaze of glory. He loses everything because he's Slippin' Jimmy and he can't help himself.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:I will say I'm kinda surprised we didn't get any more Gene at the end of the season.

I think a lot of that is that these are only 10 episode seasons, and there's only so much they can do with the Gene stuff. Like, how many different ways can you show that he's now a depressed food court schlub?

The more I think about, there's so little they can really do on that end. The guy has nothing left; if scary taxi guy actually was a hitman or something...so what? Gene gets killed. The cops are after him...so what? There's nobody left for him to rat on or cut a deal over, and there's nobody in his corner. Bot of those endings are, IMO, only moderately more exciting or interesting than him just being stuck as Gene; all three are just variations on Jimmy McGill being resigned to a crappy fate.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Gene stuff just end up being window dressing that punctuates how low he ends up after all is said and done. He doesn't get to go out sticking it to anyone, or in a blaze of glory. He loses everything because he's Slippin' Jimmy and he can't help himself.

I was thinking each of these vignettes are pretty mundane subject matter disguised as something exciting, reflecting exactly what is happening in Gene's reality vs what he's inventing in his head. It would make a lot of sense to have Jimmy meet the same end as Chuck; isolated, miserable, and so consumed with his own paranoia that he ends up ending it all
2 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Yeah, I guess my thought is...if you aren't gonna do anything else with it, why show that hospital/cab scene at all? If they don't wanna do it, that's cool...I don't *need* to have that, but if they were gonna set it up I thought I'd get some kind of payoff by the end of the season.

The show is still great regardless. Just a nitpick.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:24 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

I was thinking each of these vignettes are pretty mundane subject matter disguised as something exciting, reflecting exactly what is happening in Gene's reality vs what he's inventing in his head. It would make a lot of sense to have Jimmy meet the same end as Chuck; isolated, miserable, and so consumed with his own paranoia that he ends up ending it all

Yeah, I'm definitely thinking along those lines, and I don't think having it turn out just to be a sadsack guy being eaten up by paranoia and regret after everything he's gone through would be not paying off the Gene scenes. IMO, that's kinda like thinking Chuck's storyline didn't pay off because it didn't turn out that he actually did have some kind of bizarre allergy or physical aversion to electricity; Gene is just us getting to see how low Jimmy/Saul has fallen. I think it's a mistake to look at it like the BB flash-forwards in its final season, because I think (and hope, honestly) that it's not building up to some grand battle for his life/freedom/Kim for Gene.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Banedon wrote:Yeah, I guess my thought is...if you aren't gonna do anything else with it, why show that hospital/cab scene at all? If they don't wanna do it, that's cool...I don't *need* to have that, but if they were gonna set it up I thought I'd get some kind of payoff by the end of the season.

I thought the point of those scenes were to just show you what a panicky world he lives in even though he "escaped". The setup is the payoff. Until it's not.
3 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:33 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:Yeah, I guess my thought is...if you aren't gonna do anything else with it, why show that hospital/cab scene at all? If they don't wanna do it, that's cool...I don't *need* to have that, but if they were gonna set it up I thought I'd get some kind of payoff by the end of the season.

I thought the point of those scenes were to just show you what a panicky world he lives in even though he "escaped". The setup is the payoff. Until it's not.

This is what Peter Gould said after the season finale:

I think we’re closer to the end than to the beginning. I think it’s safe to say that. We’re still figuring out exactly how many more episodes there are. On the other hand, this show, like on Breaking Bad, we give ourselves permission to move back and forth in time. We already know that we’ve seen a lot of Gene in Omaha. We’re thinking maybe there’s another chapter to this story that happens, post-Breaking Bad. Possibly.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:43 pm

The people behind BCS and BB have always been cagey like that since they change or come up with so much of it as they go along as opposed to having some kind of mapped out plan; it would have been odd for him to say something, like, "the Gene scenes are just showing what he's been reduced to," or, "we're definitely going to see something big happen with Gene!"

I guess I really just don't care that much about Gene. Jimmy is fascinating to me because of the character and the world they've created around him. Gene is just...Gene. Like, if he gets tracked down by the cops, then he's just this loser with nobody who's been busted. If he's killed by someone from the drug world...who cares? What would that really be besides just checking off a box so people can say, "yup, now I know how and when Jimmy McGill bites it."

Pretty much the only way I want to see the Gene stuff expanded is if Kim is involved.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:54 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:The people behind BCS and BB have always been cagey like that since they change or come up with so much of it as they go along as opposed to having some kind of mapped out plan; it would have been odd for him to say something, like, "the Gene scenes are just showing what he's been reduced to," or, "we're definitely going to see something big happen with Gene!"

I guess I really just don't care that much about Gene. Jimmy is fascinating to me because of the character and the world they've created around him. Gene is just...Gene. Like, if he gets tracked down by the cops, then he's just this loser with nobody who's been busted. If he's killed by someone from the drug world...who cares? What would that really be besides just checking off a box so people can say, "yup, now I know how and when Jimmy McGill bites it."

Pretty much the only way I want to see the Gene stuff expanded is if Kim is involved.

Kim Wexler is Auntie Anne.
1 x

Return to “Social”