Star Trek thread

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Star Trek thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:49 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:It's OK; it is indeed a love letter to a show that was mediocre (or worse) more often than not. It's a pleasant enough watch, but I can't see how it could possibly actually start pulling off good to great TNG unless it does a pretty dramatic about face (and ditches MacFarlane; bottom line, the guy's range is WAY too limited for the role he's given himself).

Well you know that won’t happen since it’s essentially his Star Trek fan fiction

Right, so I don't see it having a ceiling higher than the TV equivalent of a pleasant bowl of soup. I think the hype it gets as time as being "real ST" is hinged mostly on how much it reminds people of the nostalgia they have for middling episodes of TNG, which is ultimately a pretty low bar to hurdle. It's fine! But I don't see, unfortunately, how it can really become much more than what it is right now.

I also think it's overstated by some fans how "real ST" is something less intense than Discovery (which I also think is just OK); TNG didn't become any good until Roddenberry stepped back and they were able to ditch his "in the future nobody has any conflict" BS. DS9 went from being a totally forgettable spinoff to great sci-fi series once they embraced depicting what a war in that universe would be like. Discovery's problems aren't, IMO, that it's "too dark" so much as it just hasn't found its footing yet with the characters and the stories they want to tell, and, especially, that they needlessly shoehorned in as a prequel.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:It's OK; it is indeed a love letter to a show that was mediocre (or worse) more often than not. It's a pleasant enough watch, but I can't see how it could possibly actually start pulling off good to great TNG unless it does a pretty dramatic about face (and ditches MacFarlane; bottom line, the guy's range is WAY too limited for the role he's given himself).

Well you know that won’t happen since it’s essentially his Star Trek fan fiction

Right, so I don't see it having a ceiling higher than the TV equivalent of a pleasant bowl of soup. I think the hype it gets as time as being "real ST" is hinged mostly on how much it reminds people of the nostalgia they have for middling episodes of TNG, which is ultimately a pretty low bar to hurdle. It's fine! But I don't see, unfortunately, how it can really become much more than what it is right now.

I also think it's overstated by some fans how "real ST" is something less intense than Discovery (which I also think is just OK); TNG didn't become any good until Roddenberry stepped back and they were able to ditch his "in the future nobody has any conflict" BS. DS9 went from being a totally forgettable spinoff to great sci-fi series once they embraced depicting what a war in that universe would be like. Discovery's problems aren't, IMO, that it's "too dark" so much as it just hasn't found its footing yet with the characters and the stories they want to tell, and, especially, that they needlessly shoehorned in as a prequel.

Discovery has potential, certainly. As you said, every Trek show requires time to find it's footing. DS9 certainly found it's better than any other show. The last few seasons of DS9 are the best of Trek TV, in my opinion.

Ironically, what many people consider the worst Trek TV, Enterprise, might have the best single season of any Trek show. The final season of ENT just absolutely slays. It's total fan service, but the show finally gave what most people were wanting in a, ya know, prequel. In the span of a single season they show were Khan and his augments came from, Data's origins, they fix the canon inconsistency with the Klingons, they show Vulcans becoming truly emotionless robots, and they show the creation of the Federation. Plus the "In a Mirror, Darkly" mirror universe episode ranks among the all-time great Trek episodes. One just has to make sure not to watch that final episode...ever.

As you alluded to, Discovery has no reason to be a prequel. The final season of ENT answered most of the questions and cleaned up the canon inconsistencies. Discovery would be better served by being 50 years past Voyager or whatever. Having it be 10 years before TOS is just goofy and unnecessary.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:17 am

I'm gonna dork out. My dream crew:

Captain - Picard
1st Officer - Spock
Security - Odo
Science - Data
Helmsman - Paris
Engineer - Trip
Doctor - The Doctor
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:22 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

Right, so I don't see it having a ceiling higher than the TV equivalent of a pleasant bowl of soup.

This is delightfully weird
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:25 pm

I really should get paid for this stuff.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:13 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

Right, so I don't see it having a ceiling higher than the TV equivalent of a pleasant bowl of soup.

This is delightfully weird

It’s an accurate statement indeed. Sometimes a hot bowl of tomato soup with some crackers is all I need to satisfy me. The Orville is the epitome of satisfying. I have a very similar feeling toward that time travel show Timeless.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:06 pm

Sooooo....there might be 5 new Star Trek TV projects in the works, including one with Patrick Stewart coming back as Picard???

https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-a-next-g ... 1826956945
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:17 pm

Banedon wrote:Sooooo....there might be 5 new Star Trek TV projects in the works

, including one with Patrick Stewart coming back as Picard???

3 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:14 pm

The expansion of CBS All Access’ Star Trek universe continues with a two-season order to Star Trek: Lower Decks, a half-hour adult animated comedy series from Rick and Morty head writer and executive producer Mike McMahan, a long-time Star Trek fan. Star Trek: Lower Decks, which will focus on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships, marks CBS All Access’ first original animated series and the first project to be produced by CBS Eye Animation Productions, a newly launched animation arm of CBS Television Studios.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/star-trek- ... 202489207/
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:46 pm

Per The Wrap, Nevins told reporters today that Star Trek: Discovery will be back as expected at the start of the year, while “Picard will start at the end of the year.”
0 x

Return to “Social”