♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Tim
Hall of Fame

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Tim » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:49 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:
How long until every movie is either Star Wars or Marvel?

Great, THESE guys? Whose idea was this, CubinNY's?

No. It's a terrible idea. Almost as bad as a mindless buddy comedy romp, which they seem to be correcting with the Solo movie.

Those two have already shown that they cannot produce material on their own.

Well, it's a good thing there's a huge star wars content machine out there they can adapt from. Hell, have them work with the core team and put out a series of movies based on the stories set in the Old Republic.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:59 pm

I think people forget that the Thrawn stuff had supremely goofy things like a clone named "Luuke."

Luuke. And hairy lizards that somehow cancel out the Force. And being able to defeat a military by studying their culture's art.

It was exciting at the time because it was seemingly a "real" sequel to the OT and the first new SW content in years, but it has, IMO, aged pretty poorly.

See also: Dark Empire. The books/comics, even at their best, tend to WAY overthink this stuff.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Gimme a Kyle Katarn movie.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:06 pm

A Jedi named "Kyle" will never fail to crack me up.

But man, I love those Dark Forces game. The third one might still be my favorite SW video game.
1 x

littleburr24
Starter

Postby littleburr24 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:A Jedi named "Kyle" will never fail to crack me up.

But man, I love those Dark Forces game. The third one might still be my favorite SW video game.

I don't remember a third one coming out... Now I have to find it, thanks.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:16 pm

littleburr24 wrote:

There were 5 if you count the expansion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars ... ht_(series)
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:19 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I think people forget that the Thrawn stuff had supremely goofy things like a clone named "Luuke."

Luuke. And hairy lizards that somehow cancel out the Force. And being able to defeat a military by studying their culture's art.

It was exciting at the time because it was seemingly a "real" sequel to the OT and the first new SW content in years, but it has, IMO, aged pretty poorly.

See also: Dark Empire. The books/comics, even at their best, tend to WAY overthink this stuff.

The clone stuff totally makes sense given the past. The name might have been stupid.

I’d like for something completely original, just not from those two dudes.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:39 pm

Banedon wrote:
littleburr24 wrote:

Plus it''s a real First Blood/Rambo-situation in how the series confusingly changes its name partway through.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:43 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I think people forget that the Thrawn stuff had supremely goofy things like a clone named "Luuke."

The clone stuff totally makes sense given the past.

Eh; both the clone stuff in that and DE just feel like really lazy ways to not really bring much new to the table.

It's funny how the Zahn series is generally still held in pretty high regard, when if it had only come out as a movie nowadays (or DE, too) I can only assume you'd have rabid hordes of ultrasfans howling about how "unoriginal" they are and how they're just retreads of what we've seen already (or, in the case of DE, crying over how Luke and Leia have crazy awesome Force powers that had never been seen before). So many of their loudest complaints about TFA and TLJ apply to both of those series, too, which just kind of reinforces the idea that they're mostly just in love with the idea of a SW movie in their head that will never possibly be made.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:
littleburr24 wrote:

Plus it''s a real First Blood/Rambo-situation in how the series confusingly changes its name partway through.

I forgot to mention the best part of the game; the cheat codes built into it that let you turn on FULL LIGHTSABER DISMEMBERMENT:

They really haven't, IMO, come up with another game (outside of the next couple in this series) that has Force/saber mechanics anywhere near as good as this. So much damn fun.
2 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:28 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:They're only putting one movie a year. It feels like people acting like that is somehow an overwhelming amount of SW are just looking for something to complain about.

Plus I have idea why you would think not thinking a movie is great is some kind of a hot take. IMO, there's only one great SW movie.

I guess I should explain my meaning of "great" since that word is used too much. Maybe none of the SW movies are truly great when compared to objectively great movies. I guess I should say good more often than great. That's fine. I think ESB was the best SW movie, but I still think RotJ and ANH are good SW movies. I still enjoy watching them. I think taken all together the original SW trilogy (episodes 4-6) is great. Just my opinion. I know they don't compare to truly great movies like The Godfather.

I have no love for the prequel movies -- none. They're awful on many levels. The special effects look worse now, and the terrible acting is even more noticeable as an adult. I'm glad George Lucas no longer has anything to do with SW. I think the Disney era SW movies are better than the prequel trilogy, but that's not a very high bar lol.

I actually like the Marvel cinematic universe and most of the Marvel movies. I wouldn't call them great either, but many of them range from good to very good. I really enjoyed Dr. Strange, Ant-man, Spiderman: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, CA: TWS, GotG: Vol. 1, etc. I've read nothing but good things for Black Panther, and that looks like another successful Marvel movie. I don't mind how many movies Marvel and Disney release in a calendar year because I trust them to make a good movie and hire the right director.

I don't feel that way about Disney and SW right now, and I'm worried they're ramping up SW projects before getting someone (currently Kathleen Kennedy) I really trust to helm the ship so to speak like Marvel Studios has with Kevin Feige. I don't like what K. Kennedy and company have done so far with the SW universe. Maybe Solo will be awesome, but I doubt it.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:53 am

Your loss.
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:00 am

I guess what I'm saying is they need to pay Kevin Feige whatever insane amount of money he desires to be in charge of both the Marvel and SW cinematic universes lol.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 am

Nah. The last thing SW needs is more white dudes.
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:48 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Nah. The last thing SW needs is more white dudes.

I think they wanted more diversity in casting for these new SW movies, and that's one thing they got right. I want more diversity too when it comes to directors and in casting, but I don't mind if the person in charge is a white dude as long as they are the right one in charge.

K. Feige is in charge of Marvel movies and Black Panther is being directed by Ryan Coogler. That was a fantastic choice. It also has one of the most diverse casts ever for a superhero/action movie. I'm really looking forward to watching it. I think the Marvel movies have suffered from lacking diversity, but it's getting better at least.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:16 pm

I can't wait to see BP, but Marvel's really dragged their feet to get to this point. It won't be until Captain Marvel that they finally have a film centered around a woman even though Black Widow has been RIGHT THERE for almost a decade now, whereas Kennedy had SW beating them to the punch with that right out of the gate (and then again with R1). SW was pissing off MAGA and MRA types with their diversity from the getgo, while Marvel was still handing out movies to zilches like Doctor Strange and Ant-Man before they decided to feature a non-white main character. I think Kennedy was also much quicker to jump to take a chance with a filmmaker like Rian Johnson, while the Marvel movies played it safe for longer until they finally started hiring guys like James Gunn and Taikia Waititi. Basically Star Wars has a done a ton of the legwork to even make a movie like Black Panther something that Marvel/Disney would be willing to do.

I want more diversity too when it comes to directors and in casting, but I don't mind if the person in charge is a white dude as long as they are the right one in charge.

There's always an easy excuse that the next white dude is the right white dude. Until SW or Marvel starts bringing in more voices as filmmakers (Marvel's at least taking the right steps with Waititi and Coogler), they're dropping the ball and really missing a huge opportunity. I think it's hugely disappointing that between Kennedy being in charge and Rey being the main character that there wasn't even a rumor that a woman was going to direct one of the films of the new trilogy. Ideally movies like Wonder Woman and Black Panther start forcing that to change.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:05 pm

I don't believe most people really know or care who the director is for SW or any comic book movies. Hollywood doesn't do a great job of hiring women to direct any movies so I guess I see where you're coming from regarding the opportunity they have to change things but picking a woman to direct a movie just because you don't want to hire another white guy isn't such a great idea in a number of ways.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:08 pm

biittner77 wrote:I don't believe most people really know or care who the director is for SW or any comic book movies. Hollywood doesn't do a great job of hiring women to direct any movies so I guess I see where you're coming from regarding the opportunity they have to change things but picking a woman to direct a movie just because you don't want to hire another white guy isn't such a great idea in a number of ways.

This pairs well with the Valentine's Day rant
5 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:18 pm

biittner77 wrote:I don't believe most people really know or care who the director is for SW or any comic book movies.

That's a terrible reason to just keep going with the status quo. That's basically, "just because most people don't notice something unfair and very close minded is happening, does it really matter if it changes or not?". And the responses WW and BP are pretty clearly showing that at the point we're at right now it doesn't make a pretty big difference if a woman or a PoC is making these movies.

Hollywood doesn't do a great job of hiring women to direct any movies so I guess I see where you're coming from regarding the opportunity they have to change things but picking a woman to direct a movie just because you don't want to hire another white guy isn't such a great idea in a number of ways.

Trust me, white dudes are still going to be more than OK if this keeps changing like it should. These are movies about really varied and creative worlds and characters, and we should want as many different voices and takes as possible. I mean, we see on this board alone people hemming and hawing about "too many SW movies" or "too many comic book flicks." You know what's a really easy way to help keep those from getting stale? Give us more of those movies made by and starring more different types of people.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:41 pm

That's a terrible reason to just keep going with the status quo. That's basically, "just because most people don't notice something unfair and very close minded is happening, does it really matter if it changes or not?". And the responses WW and BP are pretty clearly showing that at the point we're at right now it doesn't make a pretty big difference if a woman or a PoC is making these movies.

You're making it sound like they've already decided to only let men direct the next 10 or whatever Star Wars movies. It will happen soon enough but they'll have to find the right female director that can weather the "You ruined Star Wars!!!11!!!!1" crowd that exists to hate any and all things Star Wars. Coming off successes like WW will help with that I think.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:44 pm

biittner77 wrote:

You're making it sound like they've already decided to only let men direct the next 10 or whatever Star Wars movies. It will happen soon enough but they'll have to find the right female director that can weather the "You ruined Star Wars!!!11!!!!1" crowd that exists to hate any and all things Star Wars. Coming off successes like WW will help with that I think.

well, unless something else comes up, men are directing the next eight that have yet to be released. and they directed the first nine.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:45 pm

biittner77 wrote:

LOL that's the reason you think they haven't hired a female director? They can't handle the Star Wars pressure? What a bunch of [expletive].
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:
biittner77 wrote:

well, unless something else comes up, men are directing the next eight that have yet to be released. and they directed the first nine.

With Johnson's trilogy, it sounds like he's going to be spearheading the overall story and definitely writing and directing the first one, but the second and third ones might be directed by other filmmakers that he chooses. Same with the GoT guys, so there is hope along those lines.

But as we're seeing, basically any director is going to get slammed with wailing fanboy vitriol, so the idea that they need to wait or find the "right" woman or PoC to direct/write one of the films to handle that rings pretty hollow. If anything, woman and PoC filmmakers are MORE used to having all of their work see under a super-critical light where they have little margin of failure or error.
0 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Bobson Dugnutt wrote:
biittner77 wrote:

With Johnson's trilogy, it sounds like he's going to be spearheading the overall story and definitely writing and directing the first one, but the second and third ones might be directed by other filmmakers that he chooses. Same with the GoT guys, so there is hope along those lines.

ah, alright. i did not realize that.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Banedon wrote:
biittner77 wrote:

LOL that's the reason you think they haven't hired a female director? They can't handle the Star Wars pressure? What a bunch of [expletive].

You're right. There's no way the film industry would make decisions that were, in any way, sexist.
0 x

Return to “Social”