♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65392
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4248
x 4227

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:45 pm

snoodmonger wrote:I've only read a few pages back, but I'm surprised by the lack of criticism of this movie here. I thought it was pretty clunky and chock full of head-scratcher decisions. There was one hour of a great movie in there, but there was way too much stuff that just didn't work.

Spoiler: show
The biggest problems of the movie for me were:

1. The length. 2.5 hours is fine if they're 2.5 great hours. They weren't. Lots of fat.

2. The misuse of Finn and Rey. Keeping Finn and Rey separate for the entire movie was a huge mistake in my opinion. Their relationship was the backbone of TFA. To give them three minutes of screentime together at the end was criminal, especially in light of how little their respective sidequests worked. (Jedi Island was a snooze, sorry. And the Finn/Rose side-quest was clunky and meandering. And their weird forced romance certainly didn't salvage it.) I was fine with them being separate for some of it, but they were together for what? The Millennium Falcon afterparty and that was it?

3. Laura Dern's character. her story was fine, and the kamikaze ending looked great, but why create a character out of thin air to do that? If they would have just replaced her with Admiral Akbar, every scene in that storyline would felt 10x more relevant and 10x more interesting. Instead I was just watching her scenes wondering why her hair was purple and why Laura Dern was in a Star Wars movie. And horsefeathering think how awesome seeing Ackbar kamikaze that ship would have been. The fact I'll have to just imagine it for the rest of my life because instead they let Purple Dern do it makes me so angry.

4. They never figured out a satisfying use for Captain Phasma. At least she sort of did something in this movie, but overall, she felt like a cool baddie they never fully delivered on.

5. they still haven't really figured out an interesting way to integrate Poe imo. Him being a totally useless passenger on that escape pod while his Resistance peers were being blown to bits pretty much summed up Poe in a nutshell.

6. I probably would have rather seen Rey and Kylo fight Snoke instead of the red dudes. I understand the argument against it, and I didn't hate Kylo's shifty little move to kill Snoke, but the red dudes felt sort of like faceless drones. You never felt like Rey and Kylo were out of their depth vs them.


I loved the movie, but you have some legitimate gripes here....except #6. That scene was a highlight of the film. It was unexpected, and awesome visually.
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57655
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2005
x 6554

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:07 pm

snoodmonger wrote:I've only read a few pages back, but I'm surprised by the lack of criticism of this movie here. I thought it was pretty clunky and chock full of head-scratcher decisions. There was one hour of a great movie in there, but there was way too much stuff that just didn't work.

Spoiler: show
The biggest problems of the movie for me were:

1. The length. 2.5 hours is fine if they're 2.5 great hours. They weren't. Lots of fat.

2. The misuse of Finn and Rey. Keeping Finn and Rey separate for the entire movie was a huge mistake in my opinion. Their relationship was the backbone of TFA. To give them three minutes of screentime together at the end was criminal, especially in light of how little their respective sidequests worked. (Jedi Island was a snooze, sorry. And the Finn/Rose side-quest was clunky and meandering. And their weird forced romance certainly didn't salvage it.) I was fine with them being separate for some of it, but they were together for what? The Millennium Falcon afterparty and that was it?

3. Laura Dern's character. her story was fine, and the kamikaze ending looked great, but why create a character out of thin air to do that? If they would have just replaced her with Admiral Akbar, every scene in that storyline would felt 10x more relevant and 10x more interesting. Instead I was just watching her scenes wondering why her hair was purple and why Laura Dern was in a Star Wars movie. And horsefeathering think how awesome seeing Ackbar kamikaze that ship would have been. The fact I'll have to just imagine it for the rest of my life because instead they let Purple Dern do it makes me so angry.

4. They never figured out a satisfying use for Captain Phasma. At least she sort of did something in this movie, but overall, she felt like a cool baddie they never fully delivered on.

5. they still haven't really figured out an interesting way to integrate Poe imo. Him being a totally useless passenger on that escape pod while his Resistance peers were being blown to bits pretty much summed up Poe in a nutshell.

6. I probably would have rather seen Rey and Kylo fight Snoke instead of the red dudes. I understand the argument against it, and I didn't hate Kylo's shifty little move to kill Snoke, but the red dudes felt sort of like faceless drones. You never felt like Rey and Kylo were out of their depth vs them.

I think your criticisms are mostly ridiculous.
Laura Dern's character wwas there to create doubt in the rebellion leadership. You can't have admiral Akbar be the guy who might be undermining their effort but is really preparing to make the ultimate sacrifice.
There was no need to have Finn and Rey side by side the entire time. This was about Rey and Kylo and Luke.

It was long. But not terribly so. Captain Phasma was not a character that needed more than she got.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67050
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 822
x 1638

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Derwood » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Phasma was lame in both movies. *shrug*
0 x

User avatar
snoodmonger
Superstar
Posts: 11917
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:53 am
Location: LA
x 173
x 189
Contact:

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby snoodmonger » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:35 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:I've only read a few pages back, but I'm surprised by the lack of criticism of this movie here. I thought it was pretty clunky and chock full of head-scratcher decisions. There was one hour of a great movie in there, but there was way too much stuff that just didn't work.

Spoiler: show
The biggest problems of the movie for me were:

1. The length. 2.5 hours is fine if they're 2.5 great hours. They weren't. Lots of fat.

2. The misuse of Finn and Rey. Keeping Finn and Rey separate for the entire movie was a huge mistake in my opinion. Their relationship was the backbone of TFA. To give them three minutes of screentime together at the end was criminal, especially in light of how little their respective sidequests worked. (Jedi Island was a snooze, sorry. And the Finn/Rose side-quest was clunky and meandering. And their weird forced romance certainly didn't salvage it.) I was fine with them being separate for some of it, but they were together for what? The Millennium Falcon afterparty and that was it?

3. Laura Dern's character. her story was fine, and the kamikaze ending looked great, but why create a character out of thin air to do that? If they would have just replaced her with Admiral Akbar, every scene in that storyline would felt 10x more relevant and 10x more interesting. Instead I was just watching her scenes wondering why her hair was purple and why Laura Dern was in a Star Wars movie. And horsefeathering think how awesome seeing Ackbar kamikaze that ship would have been. The fact I'll have to just imagine it for the rest of my life because instead they let Purple Dern do it makes me so angry.

4. They never figured out a satisfying use for Captain Phasma. At least she sort of did something in this movie, but overall, she felt like a cool baddie they never fully delivered on.

5. they still haven't really figured out an interesting way to integrate Poe imo. Him being a totally useless passenger on that escape pod while his Resistance peers were being blown to bits pretty much summed up Poe in a nutshell.

6. I probably would have rather seen Rey and Kylo fight Snoke instead of the red dudes. I understand the argument against it, and I didn't hate Kylo's shifty little move to kill Snoke, but the red dudes felt sort of like faceless drones. You never felt like Rey and Kylo were out of their depth vs them.

I think your criticisms are mostly ridiculous.
Laura Dern's character wwas there to create doubt in the rebellion leadership. You can't have admiral Akbar be the guy who might be undermining their effort but is really preparing to make the ultimate sacrifice.
There was no need to have Finn and Rey side by side the entire time. This was about Rey and Kylo and Luke.

It was long. But not terribly so. Captain Phasma was not a character that needed more than she got.


Except Laura Dern didn't create any legitimate doubt in the Resistance leadership. Maybe that was what they were going for, but mission not accomplished. Instead, it felt like the Dern character was just there to highlight how wrong about...everything Poe was. I never for one second during the movie thought, "Boy they should be listening to Poe." They'd already established him as an impulsive, reckless flyboy.
0 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14722
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lincoln Park
x 4081
x 1335

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby The Logan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:53 pm

I thought they did a good job at making you question Laura Dern's motives. I definitely got the feeling she was a potential turncoat.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65392
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4248
x 4227

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:56 pm

The Logan wrote:I thought they did a good job at making you question Laura Dern's motives. I definitely got the feeling she was a potential turncoat.


Or possibly incompetent.
0 x
Image

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14722
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lincoln Park
x 4081
x 1335

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby The Logan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Banedon wrote:
The Logan wrote:I thought they did a good job at making you question Laura Dern's motives. I definitely got the feeling she was a potential turncoat.


Or possibly incompetent.


That, too.
0 x
Image

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 31630
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 1931
x 4617
Contact:

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:56 pm

Right, they wanted you to think she was incompetent and that Poe should be in charge, so that once the final act is over you realize "oh ok, Poe really is just a hot head who needs to chill." Instead the story beats are so well-worn that it was obvious Dern knew more than she was letting on and the eventual twist of that story was going to be that Poe learned from her sacrifice.
1 x

User avatar
Geech
All-Star
Posts: 2898
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:57 am
x 286
x 66

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Geech » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:59 pm

snoodmonger wrote:I've only read a few pages back, but I'm surprised by the lack of criticism of this movie here. I thought it was pretty clunky and chock full of head-scratcher decisions. There was one hour of a great movie in there, but there was way too much stuff that just didn't work.

Spoiler: show
The biggest problems of the movie for me were:

1. The length. 2.5 hours is fine if they're 2.5 great hours. They weren't. Lots of fat.

2. The misuse of Finn and Rey. Keeping Finn and Rey separate for the entire movie was a huge mistake in my opinion. Their relationship was the backbone of TFA. To give them three minutes of screentime together at the end was criminal, especially in light of how little their respective sidequests worked. (Jedi Island was a snooze, sorry. And the Finn/Rose side-quest was clunky and meandering. And their weird forced romance certainly didn't salvage it.) I was fine with them being separate for some of it, but they were together for what? The Millennium Falcon afterparty and that was it?

3. Laura Dern's character. her story was fine, and the kamikaze ending looked great, but why create a character out of thin air to do that? If they would have just replaced her with Admiral Akbar, every scene in that storyline would felt 10x more relevant and 10x more interesting. Instead I was just watching her scenes wondering why her hair was purple and why Laura Dern was in a Star Wars movie. And horsefeathering think how awesome seeing Ackbar kamikaze that ship would have been. The fact I'll have to just imagine it for the rest of my life because instead they let Purple Dern do it makes me so angry.

4. They never figured out a satisfying use for Captain Phasma. At least she sort of did something in this movie, but overall, she felt like a cool baddie they never fully delivered on.

5. they still haven't really figured out an interesting way to integrate Poe imo. Him being a totally useless passenger on that escape pod while his Resistance peers were being blown to bits pretty much summed up Poe in a nutshell.

6. I probably would have rather seen Rey and Kylo fight Snoke instead of the red dudes. I understand the argument against it, and I didn't hate Kylo's shifty little move to kill Snoke, but the red dudes felt sort of like faceless drones. You never felt like Rey and Kylo were out of their depth vs them.


I agree with you on overall pacing and the Finn/Rose storyline. However, I loved the Kylo/Rey/Luke stuff, and Finn would be totally useless for that arc. I also strongly, strongly disagree with #6. I loved that sequence.
0 x
"I'm not about numbers. I'm not a numbers guy at all... I've been lucky to have coaches and management who don't buy into that stuff." -Ryan Theriot

User avatar
Geech
All-Star
Posts: 2898
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:57 am
x 286
x 66

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Geech » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:13 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:I've only read a few pages back, but I'm surprised by the lack of criticism of this movie here. I thought it was pretty clunky and chock full of head-scratcher decisions. There was one hour of a great movie in there, but there was way too much stuff that just didn't work.

Spoiler: show
The biggest problems of the movie for me were:

1. The length. 2.5 hours is fine if they're 2.5 great hours. They weren't. Lots of fat.

2. The misuse of Finn and Rey. Keeping Finn and Rey separate for the entire movie was a huge mistake in my opinion. Their relationship was the backbone of TFA. To give them three minutes of screentime together at the end was criminal, especially in light of how little their respective sidequests worked. (Jedi Island was a snooze, sorry. And the Finn/Rose side-quest was clunky and meandering. And their weird forced romance certainly didn't salvage it.) I was fine with them being separate for some of it, but they were together for what? The Millennium Falcon afterparty and that was it?

3. Laura Dern's character. her story was fine, and the kamikaze ending looked great, but why create a character out of thin air to do that? If they would have just replaced her with Admiral Akbar, every scene in that storyline would felt 10x more relevant and 10x more interesting. Instead I was just watching her scenes wondering why her hair was purple and why Laura Dern was in a Star Wars movie. And horsefeathering think how awesome seeing Ackbar kamikaze that ship would have been. The fact I'll have to just imagine it for the rest of my life because instead they let Purple Dern do it makes me so angry.

4. They never figured out a satisfying use for Captain Phasma. At least she sort of did something in this movie, but overall, she felt like a cool baddie they never fully delivered on.

5. they still haven't really figured out an interesting way to integrate Poe imo. Him being a totally useless passenger on that escape pod while his Resistance peers were being blown to bits pretty much summed up Poe in a nutshell.

6. I probably would have rather seen Rey and Kylo fight Snoke instead of the red dudes. I understand the argument against it, and I didn't hate Kylo's shifty little move to kill Snoke, but the red dudes felt sort of like faceless drones. You never felt like Rey and Kylo were out of their depth vs them.

I think your criticisms are mostly ridiculous.
Laura Dern's character wwas there to create doubt in the rebellion leadership. You can't have admiral Akbar be the guy who might be undermining their effort but is really preparing to make the ultimate sacrifice.
There was no need to have Finn and Rey side by side the entire time. This was about Rey and Kylo and Luke.

It was long. But not terribly so. Captain Phasma was not a character that needed more than she got.


Nah, I think there's at least a kernel of truth to most of them, even if I disagree with a lot of it.
0 x
"I'm not about numbers. I'm not a numbers guy at all... I've been lucky to have coaches and management who don't buy into that stuff." -Ryan Theriot

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57655
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2005
x 6554

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:48 am

Geech wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:I've only read a few pages back, but I'm surprised by the lack of criticism of this movie here. I thought it was pretty clunky and chock full of head-scratcher decisions. There was one hour of a great movie in there, but there was way too much stuff that just didn't work.

Spoiler: show
The biggest problems of the movie for me were:

1. The length. 2.5 hours is fine if they're 2.5 great hours. They weren't. Lots of fat.

2. The misuse of Finn and Rey. Keeping Finn and Rey separate for the entire movie was a huge mistake in my opinion. Their relationship was the backbone of TFA. To give them three minutes of screentime together at the end was criminal, especially in light of how little their respective sidequests worked. (Jedi Island was a snooze, sorry. And the Finn/Rose side-quest was clunky and meandering. And their weird forced romance certainly didn't salvage it.) I was fine with them being separate for some of it, but they were together for what? The Millennium Falcon afterparty and that was it?

3. Laura Dern's character. her story was fine, and the kamikaze ending looked great, but why create a character out of thin air to do that? If they would have just replaced her with Admiral Akbar, every scene in that storyline would felt 10x more relevant and 10x more interesting. Instead I was just watching her scenes wondering why her hair was purple and why Laura Dern was in a Star Wars movie. And horsefeathering think how awesome seeing Ackbar kamikaze that ship would have been. The fact I'll have to just imagine it for the rest of my life because instead they let Purple Dern do it makes me so angry.

4. They never figured out a satisfying use for Captain Phasma. At least she sort of did something in this movie, but overall, she felt like a cool baddie they never fully delivered on.

5. they still haven't really figured out an interesting way to integrate Poe imo. Him being a totally useless passenger on that escape pod while his Resistance peers were being blown to bits pretty much summed up Poe in a nutshell.

6. I probably would have rather seen Rey and Kylo fight Snoke instead of the red dudes. I understand the argument against it, and I didn't hate Kylo's shifty little move to kill Snoke, but the red dudes felt sort of like faceless drones. You never felt like Rey and Kylo were out of their depth vs them.

I think your criticisms are mostly ridiculous.
Laura Dern's character wwas there to create doubt in the rebellion leadership. You can't have admiral Akbar be the guy who might be undermining their effort but is really preparing to make the ultimate sacrifice.
There was no need to have Finn and Rey side by side the entire time. This was about Rey and Kylo and Luke.

It was long. But not terribly so. Captain Phasma was not a character that needed more than she got.


Nah, I think there's at least a kernel of truth to most of them, even if I disagree with a lot of it.

There was kernel in my toilet this morning, doesn't mean I had a dinner of only corn.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57655
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2005
x 6554

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:43 am

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
snoodmonger
Superstar
Posts: 11917
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:53 am
Location: LA
x 173
x 189
Contact:

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby snoodmonger » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:36 am

Geech wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:I've only read a few pages back, but I'm surprised by the lack of criticism of this movie here. I thought it was pretty clunky and chock full of head-scratcher decisions. There was one hour of a great movie in there, but there was way too much stuff that just didn't work.

Spoiler: show
The biggest problems of the movie for me were:

1. The length. 2.5 hours is fine if they're 2.5 great hours. They weren't. Lots of fat.

2. The misuse of Finn and Rey. Keeping Finn and Rey separate for the entire movie was a huge mistake in my opinion. Their relationship was the backbone of TFA. To give them three minutes of screentime together at the end was criminal, especially in light of how little their respective sidequests worked. (Jedi Island was a snooze, sorry. And the Finn/Rose side-quest was clunky and meandering. And their weird forced romance certainly didn't salvage it.) I was fine with them being separate for some of it, but they were together for what? The Millennium Falcon afterparty and that was it?

3. Laura Dern's character. her story was fine, and the kamikaze ending looked great, but why create a character out of thin air to do that? If they would have just replaced her with Admiral Akbar, every scene in that storyline would felt 10x more relevant and 10x more interesting. Instead I was just watching her scenes wondering why her hair was purple and why Laura Dern was in a Star Wars movie. And horsefeathering think how awesome seeing Ackbar kamikaze that ship would have been. The fact I'll have to just imagine it for the rest of my life because instead they let Purple Dern do it makes me so angry.

4. They never figured out a satisfying use for Captain Phasma. At least she sort of did something in this movie, but overall, she felt like a cool baddie they never fully delivered on.

5. they still haven't really figured out an interesting way to integrate Poe imo. Him being a totally useless passenger on that escape pod while his Resistance peers were being blown to bits pretty much summed up Poe in a nutshell.

6. I probably would have rather seen Rey and Kylo fight Snoke instead of the red dudes. I understand the argument against it, and I didn't hate Kylo's shifty little move to kill Snoke, but the red dudes felt sort of like faceless drones. You never felt like Rey and Kylo were out of their depth vs them.


I agree with you on overall pacing and the Finn/Rose storyline. However, I loved the Kylo/Rey/Luke stuff, and Finn would be totally useless for that arc. I also strongly, strongly disagree with #6. I loved that sequence.


I agree that Finn had no place in the Kylo/Rey/Luke stuff.

Spoiler: show
I think they might have been better served reuniting Rey and Finn earlier in the movie than they did. As it was constructed, TLJ did nothing to develop the relationship between those two core characters. It's exactly where it was at the end of TFA except for what, maybe a hint of jealousy toward Rose from Rey?

I know it's all subjective, but for me it was a mistake to completely set aside that dynamic for 1/3 of the story (assuming Rey's story will be told over 3 movies.)


TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:Right, they wanted you to think she was incompetent and that Poe should be in charge, so that once the final act is over you realize "oh ok, Poe really is just a hot head who needs to chill." Instead the story beats are so well-worn that it was obvious Dern knew more than she was letting on and the eventual twist of that story was going to be that Poe learned from her sacrifice.


Well said. Those were my thoughts exactly.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65392
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4248
x 4227

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:50 pm

snoodmonger wrote:
Spoiler: show
I think they might have been better served reuniting Rey and Finn earlier in the movie than they did. As it was constructed, TLJ did nothing to develop the relationship between those two core characters. It's exactly where it was at the end of TFA except for what, maybe a hint of jealousy toward Rose from Rey?

I know it's all subjective, but for me it was a mistake to completely set aside that dynamic for 1/3 of the story (assuming Rey's story will be told over 3 movies.)


Remember Empire Strikes Back where Luke was barely on screen with Han/Leia? Just a bit on Hoth, and a bit after his battle with Vader on Cloud City.
0 x
Image

User avatar
snoodmonger
Superstar
Posts: 11917
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:53 am
Location: LA
x 173
x 189
Contact:

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby snoodmonger » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:02 pm

Banedon wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:
Spoiler: show
I think they might have been better served reuniting Rey and Finn earlier in the movie than they did. As it was constructed, TLJ did nothing to develop the relationship between those two core characters. It's exactly where it was at the end of TFA except for what, maybe a hint of jealousy toward Rose from Rey?

I know it's all subjective, but for me it was a mistake to completely set aside that dynamic for 1/3 of the story (assuming Rey's story will be told over 3 movies.)


Remember Empire Strikes Back where Luke was barely on screen with Han/Leia? Just a bit on Hoth, and a bit after his battle with Vader on Cloud City.


They're all on Hoth together for like 30 minutes. And if you start at the moment Leia sees Luke in the hallway, they're probably on Bespin together another 20. It's not even a close comparison. Couple that with the fact that Leia/Han was the more interesting dynamic, and sending Luke off on his own wasn't really a detriment.

Honest question, because I only saw it once--do Rey and Finn even exchange words in TLJ? I can't remember.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57655
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2005
x 6554

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:52 pm

snoodmonger wrote:
Banedon wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:
Spoiler: show
I think they might have been better served reuniting Rey and Finn earlier in the movie than they did. As it was constructed, TLJ did nothing to develop the relationship between those two core characters. It's exactly where it was at the end of TFA except for what, maybe a hint of jealousy toward Rose from Rey?

I know it's all subjective, but for me it was a mistake to completely set aside that dynamic for 1/3 of the story (assuming Rey's story will be told over 3 movies.)


Remember Empire Strikes Back where Luke was barely on screen with Han/Leia? Just a bit on Hoth, and a bit after his battle with Vader on Cloud City.


They're all on Hoth together for like 30 minutes. And if you start at the moment Leia sees Luke in the hallway, they're probably on Bespin together another 20. It's not even a close comparison. Couple that with the fact that Leia/Han was the more interesting dynamic, and sending Luke off on his own wasn't really a detriment.

Honest question, because I only saw it once--do Rey and Finn even exchange words in TLJ? I can't remember.
yes they do.

And this is a weird ass thing to be hung up on.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
snoodmonger
Superstar
Posts: 11917
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:53 am
Location: LA
x 173
x 189
Contact:

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby snoodmonger » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:06 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Remember Empire Strikes Back where Luke was barely on screen with Han/Leia? Just a bit on Hoth, and a bit after his battle with Vader on Cloud City.


They're all on Hoth together for like 30 minutes. And if you start at the moment Leia sees Luke in the hallway, they're probably on Bespin together another 20. It's not even a close comparison. Couple that with the fact that Leia/Han was the more interesting dynamic, and sending Luke off on his own wasn't really a detriment.

Honest question, because I only saw it once--do Rey and Finn even exchange words in TLJ? I can't remember.
yes they do.

And this is a weird ass thing to be hung up on.


yeah, what a weirdo, wishing the two main protagonists spent more than 4 minutes in the movie together.
0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 44376
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 69
x 1942
Contact:

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Tim » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:12 pm

snoodmonger wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:
They're all on Hoth together for like 30 minutes. And if you start at the moment Leia sees Luke in the hallway, they're probably on Bespin together another 20. It's not even a close comparison. Couple that with the fact that Leia/Han was the more interesting dynamic, and sending Luke off on his own wasn't really a detriment.

Honest question, because I only saw it once--do Rey and Finn even exchange words in TLJ? I can't remember.
yes they do.

And this is a weird ass thing to be hung up on.


yeah, what a weirdo, wishing the two main protagonists spent more than 4 minutes in the movie together.

Rey pretty much had to have the dynamic with Luke in this movie. Her story here with Kylo was great. Somehow shoehorning Finn into that would have been weird. What part did he have to play in all of that? How would being stuck on the island with her have developed his character arc? As it is, he developed a lot on his own, as did she. They can get back together for movie three. I don't see the issue.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 31630
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 1931
x 4617
Contact:

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:51 pm

I don't mind Finn and Rey not being together because I was far more interested in the Rey/Kylo dynamic anyway, but what they've done to Finn's character is criminal.
0 x

User avatar
snoodmonger
Superstar
Posts: 11917
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:53 am
Location: LA
x 173
x 189
Contact:

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby snoodmonger » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Tim wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:yes they do.

And this is a weird ass thing to be hung up on.


yeah, what a weirdo, wishing the two main protagonists spent more than 4 minutes in the movie together.

Rey pretty much had to have the dynamic with Luke in this movie. Her story here with Kylo was great. Somehow shoehorning Finn into that would have been weird. What part did he have to play in all of that? How would being stuck on the island with her have developed his character arc? As it is, he developed a lot on his own, as did she. They can get back together for movie three. I don't see the issue.


Didn't want Finn on Jedi island with Luke. I think I've said that a couple of times. But since he had the beacon the whole time, they're stories could have converged any time, not just in the final moments. Or, maybe as TBS is suggesting, just make Finn's separate story better, and this is less of a concern.
0 x

Moller
Role Player
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:28 am
x 13
x 29

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Moller » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:31 am

Them being apart is what drives Finn's actions for literally the entire film
0 x

User avatar
Geech
All-Star
Posts: 2898
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:57 am
x 286
x 66

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Geech » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:50 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I don't mind Finn and Rey not being together because I was far more interested in the Rey/Kylo dynamic anyway, but what they've done to Finn's character is criminal.


Why do you say that? I thought the Finn/Rose B plot felt flabby and became stupid occasionally, but I loved that they at least gave Finn some character development. It may be cheesy, but I loved that "rebel scum" line.
0 x
"I'm not about numbers. I'm not a numbers guy at all... I've been lucky to have coaches and management who don't buy into that stuff." -Ryan Theriot

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22062
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 155
x 382

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby CubinNY » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:34 am

Geech wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I don't mind Finn and Rey not being together because I was far more interested in the Rey/Kylo dynamic anyway, but what they've done to Finn's character is criminal.


Why do you say that? I thought the Finn/Rose B plot felt flabby and became stupid occasionally, but I loved that they at least gave Finn some character development. It may be cheesy, but I loved that "rebel scum" line.

Finn became a rebel in this movie. Before that he was just a scared kid. I’m sure they could have found a way to tell that story better but I don’t know how they could do that and fit it into the context of the bigger story. I don’t know what you mean by flabby.
0 x

User avatar
Geech
All-Star
Posts: 2898
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:57 am
x 286
x 66

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Geech » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:51 am

CubinNY wrote:
Geech wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I don't mind Finn and Rey not being together because I was far more interested in the Rey/Kylo dynamic anyway, but what they've done to Finn's character is criminal.


Why do you say that? I thought the Finn/Rose B plot felt flabby and became stupid occasionally, but I loved that they at least gave Finn some character development. It may be cheesy, but I loved that "rebel scum" line.

Finn became a rebel in this movie. Before that he was just a scared kid. I’m sure they could have found a way to tell that story better but I don’t know how they could do that and fit it into the context of the bigger story. I don’t know what you mean by flabby.


By flabby, I mean kind of slowly paced especially in regards to how it fit into the movie as a whole.
0 x
"I'm not about numbers. I'm not a numbers guy at all... I've been lucky to have coaches and management who don't buy into that stuff." -Ryan Theriot

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 31630
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 1931
x 4617
Contact:

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:03 am

Geech wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I don't mind Finn and Rey not being together because I was far more interested in the Rey/Kylo dynamic anyway, but what they've done to Finn's character is criminal.


Why do you say that? I thought the Finn/Rose B plot felt flabby and became stupid occasionally, but I loved that they at least gave Finn some character development. It may be cheesy, but I loved that "rebel scum" line.


He was much more interesting when he was a rebelling slave suffering ptsd after watching an entire village be genocided by Kylo and his troops. Now he's just some comedic relief "lol im a janitor i did the trash." There's nothing to explore with him now — he mopped the floors of the death star 3.0 and now he's a good guy. There was a much more interesting arc in there that was abandoned.
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Transmogrified Tiger and 6 guests