♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

biittner77
Superstar

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby biittner77 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:00 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Geech wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I don't mind Finn and Rey not being together because I was far more interested in the Rey/Kylo dynamic anyway, but what they've done to Finn's character is criminal.

Why do you say that? I thought the Finn/Rose B plot felt flabby and became stupid occasionally, but I loved that they at least gave Finn some character development. It may be cheesy, but I loved that "rebel scum" line.

He was much more interesting when he was a rebelling slave suffering ptsd after watching an entire village be genocided by Kylo and his troops. Now he's just some comedic relief "lol im a janitor i did the trash." There's nothing to explore with him now — he mopped the floors of the death star 3.0 and now he's a good guy. There was a much more interesting arc in there that was abandoned.

You could have said the same thing about Han Solo once he gets rescued from Jabba the Hutt. He stopped being the ruthless guy that shot first and became a good guy. Finn is on his own hero's journey which was clearly "be with Rey". He didn't care about the resistance or anything else. Now things are more complicated. He cares about Rose. He cares more about the resistance than he does his own life.

Rey has other fish to fry (not talking about the caretakers) It's similar to what happens after ANH. Everyone expected a love story between Leia and Luke which never happened. Being a Jedi is bad for your love life. Rey will probably discover that in episode 9. Rey and Finn will also have to come to grips with the fact that the only thing they have in common is that they were drawn to each other because they had both grown up among people that didn't care about their well being at all.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:19 pm

In order to enjoy Finn, you have to look past the enormous plot hole of "stormtrooper who was stolen from his family and trained to be a faceless killing machine turns wise-cracking rebel." Also "stormtroooper who had the most basic job possible knows every intricate detail of the First Order's technology."

His character is there to provide laughs and information. You either enjoy that or you don't
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Yeah but Han Solo never stopped being a scoundrel, he just grew as a character. Finn's entire backstory was just dropped.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:46 pm

Derwood wrote:In order to enjoy Finn, you have to look past the enormous plot hole of "stormtrooper who was stolen from his family and trained to be a faceless killing machine turns wise-cracking rebel." Also "stormtroooper who had the most basic job possible knows every intricate detail of the First Order's technology."

His character is there to provide laughs and information. You either enjoy that or you don't

He knows where things are not how to make them work or do anything with them. Not sure what your experience is with largish government buildings but the Custodians know everything about where to find stuff in their building.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Geech
All-Star

Postby Geech » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:23 am

Also, Finn was on a raiding party at the start of TFA. The dude was a storm trooper who worked as a janitor some of the time, not the other way around.
0 x
"I'm not about numbers. I'm not a numbers guy at all... I've been lucky to have coaches and management who don't buy into that stuff." -Ryan Theriot

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Geech wrote:Also, Finn was on a raiding party at the start of TFA. The dude was a storm trooper who worked as a janitor some of the time, not the other way around.

That was his first ever raid, which is why he had his existential crisis about murdering innocent people
0 x

Geech
All-Star

Postby Geech » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Derwood wrote:
Geech wrote:Also, Finn was on a raiding party at the start of TFA. The dude was a storm trooper who worked as a janitor some of the time, not the other way around.

That was his first ever raid, which is why he had his existential crisis about murdering innocent people

What's your basis for that? I don't remember that ever being said in the film, and Wookiepedia outright contradicts it.
0 x
"I'm not about numbers. I'm not a numbers guy at all... I've been lucky to have coaches and management who don't buy into that stuff." -Ryan Theriot

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Geech wrote:
Derwood wrote:

What's your basis for that? I don't remember that ever being said in the film, and Wookiepedia outright contradicts it.

From TFA, when he's admitting to Rey that he's a stormtrooper, not resistance in Maz Kanata's cantina.

I'm not Resistance. I'm not a hero. I'm a stormtrooper. Like all of them, I was taken from a family I'll never know. And raised to do one thing. But my first battle, I made a choice. I wasn't gonna kill for them. So I ran. Right into you. And you looked at me like no one ever had. I was ashamed of what I was. But I'm done with the First Order. I'm never going back. Rey, come with me.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:43 pm

Geech wrote:
Derwood wrote:

I think it's implied. There's no dialogue saying whether it's his first or his hundredth, but it wouldn't make sense for him to suddenly grow a conscience on "Stormtrooper Raid #37".

ETA: According to Wookiepedia, Finn went on a bunch of other raids, but that's per a book called "Before the Awakening". I guess it's "canon" since Disney published it, but this is where the EU just sorta ruins the whole thing for me. Information and back story that a handful of people will read but take as fact that sometimes contradicts the spirit of the movies.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:00 pm

There's still good in you, I feel it...

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:15 pm

All I know is I saw TLJ again while out of town with my 7-year old cousin who loves SW, and that was a horsefeathering blast. Her pure joy when Yoda showed up was kinda the best thing ever. This movie rules.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:10 pm

3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:00 pm

i watched the first 6 star wars movies. i liked revenge of the sith best.

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:19 pm

0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:22 am

4 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:18 pm

1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:56 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:00 pm

Uhhhhhhhhhhh...

So, what, Kylo and Poe and Luke are now just a bunch of lunatics talking to themselves?
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Uhhhhhhhhhhh...

So, what, Kylo and Poe and Luke are now just a bunch of lunatics talking to themselves?

https://www.avclub.com/some-creep-made- ... 1822104868

For starters, they completely cut Laura Dern’s Admiral Holdo out of the movie, meaning the “Holdo Maneuver” is carried out by Oscar Isaac’s Poe Dameron instead—so he dies halfway through the “movie.” Also, General Leia never “scolds” Poe, because he’s a perfect man hero who can do no wrong, and she gets killed by Kylo Ren (who is “much less conflicted”). They also made it so that Captain Phasma gets beaten by Finn in one hit because “women are naturally weaker than men,” that Rey isn’t “superpowered,” and that Paige Tico (the sister of Kelly Marie Tran’s character) doesn’t get to heroically bomb the bad guy ship in the beginning.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:12 pm

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Rian Johnson on Leia's "force pull" scene:

The idea behind that moment was that in a moment of that—first of all her use of Force in that moment is not incredibly powerful she’s in space which offers no resistance. So actually take much to pull her back in she is in zero gravity, but also [her use of the Force] is instinctual.

That was the bigger thing for me is that it’s the equivalent of like when you hear stories about parents who have a toddler trapped under a car and they lift the car up they get Hulk strength. It’s that idea “this is not going to end today. I’m not finished yet” and that she it’s almost like just a drowning person is clawing their way to the surface the way she pulls her way back.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/rian-johnson-ex ... 1822114425
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Banedon wrote:Rian Johnson on Leia's "force pull" scene:

The idea behind that moment was that in a moment of that—first of all her use of Force in that moment is not incredibly powerful she’s in space which offers no resistance. So actually take much to pull her back in she is in zero gravity, but also [her use of the Force] is instinctual.

That was the bigger thing for me is that it’s the equivalent of like when you hear stories about parents who have a toddler trapped under a car and they lift the car up they get Hulk strength. It’s that idea “this is not going to end today. I’m not finished yet” and that she it’s almost like just a drowning person is clawing their way to the surface the way she pulls her way back.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/rian-johnson-ex ... 1822114425

TBH that's kind of how I interpreted it myself. Seemed pretty obvious it was a hail mary-like maneuver.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:01 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Man, I thought those idiots hated Rey, but they REALLY hate Rose and Holdo.
0 x

Return to “Social”