♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Derwood » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Banedon wrote:
Of course, Amidala died of a broken heart and the tech couldn't do anything for that one.

horsefeathers did Lucas eff those movies up. Good lord.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:47 pm

Banedon wrote:Just to pick on Star Wars tech again, I love how seriously, gravely injured people in this universe are just unconscious for a while, and then when they suddenly wake up they're all better...no real prolonged recovery time. Luke after he was frozen on Hoth, Leia after she got sucked into space, Finn after he got lightsabered...

Of course, Amidala died of a broken heart and the tech couldn't do anything for that one.

Bacta can't heal the wounds we can't see...

And technically on Padme's chart it says the cause of death was, "LOST THE WILL TO LIVE."
2 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:48 pm

padme died of a sand overdose
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:49 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:padme died of a sand overdose

It truly does get everywhere.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:50 pm

I mean, Anakin should've straight up murdered Padme, the final step towards going full dark side, but Lucas chickened out in the worst way
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:53 pm

Derwood wrote:I mean, Anakin should've straight up murdered Padme, the final step towards going full dark side, but Lucas chickened out in the worst way

I almost started trying to argue this, but the last thing this thread needs is further prequel discussion.

Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.
3 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:I mean, Anakin should've straight up murdered Padme, the final step towards going full dark side, but Lucas chickened out in the worst way

I almost started trying to argue this, but the last thing this thread needs is further prequel discussion.

Dude, I'm with you on this.

Also: the key to fixing the prequels is making her the protagonist of the prequels. MOVING ON....
0 x

JonJayCutler
All-Star

Postby JonJayCutler » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:50 pm

When though? Has to be after labor.
0 x
Formerly CubsBearsMagic. 66.6% of those teams aren't worthy of a username, but two lovable average players are.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:01 pm

JonJayCutler wrote:

It doesn't work; it's a miracle that we buy into the idea of him being redeemed, if only for a few moments, in RotJ despite him basically being Bondage Space Hitler to that point. Adding stuff like him murdering children was ridiculous, and having him kill his wife and the mother of his children is something that only sounds like a good idea if you indulge the edgiest of edgelording.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
JonJayCutler wrote:

It doesn't work; it's a miracle that we buy into the idea of him being redeemed, if only for a few moments, in RotJ despite him basically being Bondage Space Hitler to that point. Adding stuff like him murdering children was ridiculous, and having him kill his wife and the mother of his children is something that only sounds like a good idea if you indulge the edgiest of edgelording.

Ok, sure, and had the prequels been written well, it wouldn't have had to get to that point. The real point is that dying of a broken heart is like something out of a 12 year old girl's fan fic
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:28 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
JonJayCutler wrote:

Ok, sure, and had the prequels been written well, it wouldn't have had to get to that point. The real point is that dying of a broken heart is like something out of a 12 year old girl's fan fic

Oh yeah, it's wretched.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:19 pm

The mystery of the missing "third lesson", solved. It was cut from the final product.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-heres-wh ... 1821467308
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:42 pm

Banedon wrote:The mystery of the missing "third lesson", solved. It was cut from the final product.

20 minutes of deleted scenes?

1 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:48 pm

Banedon wrote:The mystery of the missing "third lesson", solved. It was cut from the final product.

This is probably for the best. That scene sounded kind of meh, and this allows JJ to write in a scene in IX where Ghost Luke imparts some actually important lesson to her somehow or something that would be cooler.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:53 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:

This is probably for the best. That scene sounded kind of meh, and this allows JJ to write in a scene in IX where Ghost Luke imparts some actually important lesson to her somehow or something that would be cooler.

I think it sounds like a great scene, but I agree it's for the best that it was cut. The movie is already unwieldy enough as it is; as much as I say that I WANT a 3 hour SW film, it's really not something you can pull off.

I mean, in terms of watching it in the theater. Watching it at home? Give me a horsefeathering Shoah-length cut.
0 x

Moller
Role Player

Postby Moller » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:25 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Why the pace of the fleet chase is supposed to be a bad thing I have no idea, especially given how it pays off so spectacularly.

Yep.
It's designed to be slow & monotonous. The sense of impending dread is clearly heightened as a result.
3 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:13 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Without the prequels we never would have gotten the glory that is Stephen Glass getting busted for Jukt Micronics, so we we at least have to give them credit for that.

i can't believe he was good in that movie
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:29 am

17 Seconds wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Without the prequels we never would have gotten the glory that is Stephen Glass getting busted for Jukt Micronics, so we we at least have to give them credit for that.

i can't believe he was good in that movie

It's the role he was born to play. [expletive], that movie is so great.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:32 am

He's so grotesquely squirmy:

0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:45 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Because they're clearly not the same. That's a searingly hot take. TPM fails in no small part due to how badly it botches being anything like ANH, just like how one of TFA's major strengths is how much it echoes ANH.

Though I am amused by the posting of a clip called "Luke Skywalker - angsty teen" and then griping about how he's played like....an angsty teen.

Even angsty teens sometimes pause for breath between sentences.

In one (maybe several) interviews I've seen with Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, they say that Lucas' direction consisted of telling them to say their lines "Faster, more intense." Evidently Lucas never envisioned middle aged insomniacs parsing out the dialogue from ANH. This is in stark contrast to Empire where there's a different director who focuses on developing characters. It's probably why everyone thinks Empire is the best Star Wars movie. Until Rogue One came out.
1 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:28 pm

biittner77 wrote:In one (maybe several) interviews I've seen with Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, they say that Lucas' direction consisted of telling them to say their lines "Faster, more intense."

Which has always cracked me up, because if there's one thing the prequels desperately needed it was someone AT LEAST trying to make it "faster and more intense."

Dude is such a weird filmmaker; he's talked many, many times about how little he's interested in actually directing actors, like they're somehow this insignificant part of the process.

It can't be understated how much his ex-wife Marcia influenced and shaped his films as the primary editor. I think she's this seriously enigmatic part of the 70's auteur boom. Check out the movies she worked as an editor on:

Medium Cool
THX 1138
The Candidate
American Graffiti
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Taxi Driver
New York, New York

The entire SW OT

And then they split up and she was gone.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:36 am

Man it was good. It did feel a little klunky in parts but overall was great. The ending was great, too. Can we talk about how great Laura Dern was in her brief screen time?

Still, I think I enjoyed Rogue One more, though that could be because I enjoyed the fan service (whatever, I'm a nerd)

If I had to rank:

ESB
ROTJ
ANH
R1
TLJ
TFA

ROTS
CW (it's not an awful movie if you take out the terrible romantic dialogue. Obi Wan tracking Jango Fett and the Clones is like some kinda Sci Fi noir)
TPM

I do wonder how they'll set up the next one

Spoiler: show
Will it take place several years later? With Leia passed on and the Resistance stronger or still on the run?
2 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:I do wonder how they'll set up the next one

Will it take place several years later? With Leia passed on and the Resistance stronger or still on the run?

The problem is that

they've established hyperspace tracking as a thing, now, so they'd have to explain how the Resistance is hiding.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:44 pm

I'd assume they need to actually be following them into hyperspace to track them; seems easy enough to just say the FO ships were too horsefeathers up after getting ROCKED by Holdo to be able to follow the MF.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:47 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I'd assume they need to actually be following them into hyperspace to track them; seems easy enough to just say the FO ships were too horsefeathers up after getting ROCKED by Holdo to be able to follow the MF.

Or they could just "because space wizards" it and move on
0 x

Return to “Social”