♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Banedon
Curse You!

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:58 pm

The New Order invented magical hyperspace tracking. The rebels will invent magical hyperspace tracking blocking if it serves the story. Not exactly a major problem unless they want it to be.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Banedon wrote:The New Order invented magical hyperspace tracking. The rebels will invent magical hyperspace tracking blocking if it serves the story. Not exactly a major problem unless they want it to be.

Yeah, I prefer it when these movies (and movies like this in general, and comic books) mostly just go with, "this is a fantastic world and fantastic things can happen, so here's another one that moves this along in an exciting, entertaining way." I don't need, nor want, for it to be spelled out for it to work, otherwise you just end up driving yourself nuts wondering how something as ridiculous as a lightsaber could even be a thing. How does it work? Who knows; something to do with crystals. WHY does it work? Because it's awesome and we want it to.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:The New Order invented magical hyperspace tracking. The rebels will invent magical hyperspace tracking blocking if it serves the story. Not exactly a major problem unless they want it to be.

Yeah, I prefer it when these movies (and movies like this in general, and comic books) mostly just go with, "this is a fantastic world and fantastic things can happen, so here's another one that moves this along in an exciting, entertaining way." I don't need, nor want, for it to be spelled out for it to work, otherwise you just end up driving yourself nuts wondering how something as ridiculous as a lightsaber could even be a thing. How does it work? Who knows; something to do with crystals. WHY does it work? Because it's awesome and we want it to.

I like to think of it within the universe ruleset that they've established. But to say "oh, that could never happen because of this tech" is pretty silly, when they can just invent new tech to counter it.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:23 pm

1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

I like to think of it within the universe ruleset that they've established. But to say "oh, that could never happen because of this tech" is pretty silly, when they can just invent new tech to counter it.

But there are no rules; they've just been piling things on since the very first movie. All of a sudden in ESB the Jedi can movie things with their minds, and there's a special laser that can just disable entire Star Destroyers, and people can survive in space so long as they just wear an oxygen mask, ships apparently can have "cloaks," there's a floating city, people can be frozen alive, etc., etc.. They just pulled all of that stuff out of thin air because they wanted to tell a story that had those things. If you do one thing, you simply then do a different thing.

And I'm not saying this just in regards to SW; how so many fans of fantasy and sci-fi in general seemingly want things corralled in or over-explained or strictly limited just doesn't make sense to me. Sure, there's a very grey area in terms of crossing a line where it's just TOO ridiculous; if all of a sudden it's revealed that everyone in SW can turn themselves inside out whenever they want, OK, what the hell. But hand-waving away the hand-wave of something like "hyperspace tracking?" Not hard. The FO ships were too trashed to follow. The Falcon is a specially modified smuggler ship, so it's got some handy mod that doesn't allow it to be tracked easily. Del Toro's character keeps playing all sides and actually slipped a virus into the FO system that frags the tracking thing. Basically it's a minor speed bump at best to move along past, IMO. A "why doesn't Gandalf just get those big ass eagles to fly them to Mt. Doom?"-sort of thing: because then the movie would be over.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:A "why doesn't Gandalf just get those big ass eagles to fly them to Mt. Doom?"-sort of thing: because then the movie would be over.

Agree with all the Star Wars stuff, but this still bothers me though.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:A "why doesn't Gandalf just get those big ass eagles to fly them to Mt. Doom?"-sort of thing: because then the movie would be over.

Agree with all the Star Wars stuff, but this still bothers me though.

I'm not much of a Tolkien fan, but as it was explained to me the eagles wouldn't fly there as long as Eyeball McEvil was still up and running. Worked for me.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Yeah I don't think hyperspace tracking would be all that difficult to solve for the Resistance unless Abrams wants to make it a major plot point again.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:11 pm

Banedon wrote:

this guy gets it

i love when films get meta w/a plot that is not only about the in-universe, but is also about the film's creation.
5 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:42 pm

I seent it. I enjoyed the hell out of it. I kept myself free from spoilers so I went in trying to pick apart what the people were so upset about and I would've sworn it would be the logistics of things like

Spoiler: show
How did Finn get Rose back to safety so fast after they crashed right in front of the enemy what appeared to be several miles away

But I haven't seen anyone complain about that. After reading all the complaints I'm just like "Really?"

Luckily I don't have a horse in the Star Wars race so the films are pure entertainment for me, and I was very much entertained by this movie and would be happy seeing it again.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:47 pm

The Logan wrote:I seent it. I enjoyed the hell out of it. I kept myself free from spoilers so I went in trying to pick apart what the people were so upset about and I would've sworn it would be the logistics of things like

How did Finn get Rose back to safety so fast after they crashed right in front of the enemy what appeared to be several miles away

But I haven't seen anyone complain about that. After reading all the complaints I'm just like "Really?"

Luckily I don't have a horse in the Star Wars race so the films are pure entertainment for me, and I was very much entertained by this movie and would be happy seeing it again.

Hahah! That was the real, "hey, wait a minute..." moment for me, too. But, whatever; I'm assuming the FO were distracted by the, yes, DOPE ASS showdown going on in front of them.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:50 pm

The Logan wrote:I don't have a horse in the Star Wars race

They're called fathier, duh.
3 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:33 pm

4 x

Moller
Role Player

Postby Moller » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Banedon wrote:

Right on, my dude.
Disney could have kept making classic SW adventure films, choc full of the same tropes and similar characters for years and years, and still make decent $$. I’ve not seen any of them, but this appears to be what Transformers is doing?
I mean TFA was great at the time, given it was the reboot of a stagnant but enormous franchise, and it absolutely needed to hark back to the original trilogy and win people over. But having gained people’s trust, they needed to move on and create something more.
Rogue One started that, even despite the much-publicised issues with re-writes, and this one takes it further.
It’s still essentially a kids film with wizards and one-liners, but we’re suddenly looking at the big picture a lot more, and the series is all the better for it.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Letters to Starlog magazine in 1980 reacting to ESB:

Is Luke related to Vader? Most think so now that Vader came right out and said it. Well, I say, do you believe everything you hear? Vader may have lied just to enlist Luke to his side. Vader would then dispose of Luke once he got what he wanted.

I know they wanted to leave something to settle in the other sequels, but they left a little too much. For instance, Han Solo’s predicament. The movie should not have ended until Han was either killed by Boba Fett or Jabba or rescued by Lando Calrissian or Chewbacca, the former, preferably. Also, the fate of Bespin is not told. Was it taken by Lando’s troops, taken by Imperial troops or destroyed by Vader? I like Lando Calrissian and Billy Dee Williams was very good playing the part.

C’mon Leia, why don’t you take a look around? Can’t you see what Luke is up against? You could have a “nice guy” like him. Instead, you are turning your back on him. Forget that it was Luke that saved you from having your atoms scattered throughout the galaxy. Forget that it was Luke, and not Han Solo, that wanted you rescued from the Death Star detention area. But you don’t need to remember all that, Leia. As long as hot-lips Han is around, who needs Luke anyway?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-how-fans- ... 1821551259
2 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:13 am

I really liked it, so did my daughter.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:15 am

Saw it a second time last night. Loved it even more.
0 x

Geech
All-Star

Postby Geech » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:37 am

I liked it quite a bit, but didn't love it. I thought it was quite a bit better than Rogue One, but I prefer the The Force Awakens.
0 x
"I'm not about numbers. I'm not a numbers guy at all... I've been lucky to have coaches and management who don't buy into that stuff." -Ryan Theriot

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:07 am

Third viewing today with my nephews and brother-in-law and second in an IMAX theater. Still awesome.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:18 am

Our AMC theater recently retrofitted most of their screens to the Dolby AMC technology; holy horsefeathers they’re amazing. Blows IMAX out of the water
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Derwood wrote:Our AMC theater recently retrofitted most of their screens to the Dolby AMC technology; holy horsefeathers they’re amazing. Blows IMAX out of the water

I saw Thor in the Dolby Cinema and it was impressive when I walked in. So much so I was like "I think I need some popcorn or else I'll ruin this experience"

That being said, once the movie got going I was so engulfed in the story I started to ignore the technical advantages of it for the price they charged. Everything was amazing, but for $20 I'm not sure I'd shell it out again. If it were the cost of a 3D ticket I would, but $20 is too much for a 2D movie, IMO.

But I think everyone should experience it once. It is a pretty amazing sight to behold at first blush.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:48 pm

The Logan wrote:
Derwood wrote:Our AMC theater recently retrofitted most of their screens to the Dolby AMC technology; holy horsefeathers they’re amazing. Blows IMAX out of the water

I saw Thor in the Dolby Cinema and it was impressive when I walked in. So much so I was like "I think I need some popcorn or else I'll ruin this experience"

That being said, once the movie got going I was so engulfed in the story I started to ignore the technical advantages of it for the price they charged. Everything was amazing, but for $20 I'm not sure I'd shell it out again. If it were the cost of a 3D ticket I would, but $20 is too much for a 2D movie, IMO.

But I think everyone should experience it once. It is a pretty amazing sight to behold at first blush.

The price here isn’t any more expensive than any other theater
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:54 pm

Derwood wrote:
The Logan wrote:

The price here isn’t any more expensive than any other theater

Well then I'm getting rippppppped off. AMC River East in Chicago is $20 a ticket for the Dolby theater
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:06 pm

My bad, it’s $2 more than IMAX ($16)
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:44 am

I've only read a few pages back, but I'm surprised by the lack of criticism of this movie here. I thought it was pretty clunky and chock full of head-scratcher decisions. There was one hour of a great movie in there, but there was way too much stuff that just didn't work.

The biggest problems of the movie for me were:

1. The length. 2.5 hours is fine if they're 2.5 great hours. They weren't. Lots of fat.

2. The misuse of Finn and Rey. Keeping Finn and Rey separate for the entire movie was a huge mistake in my opinion. Their relationship was the backbone of TFA. To give them three minutes of screentime together at the end was criminal, especially in light of how little their respective sidequests worked. (Jedi Island was a snooze, sorry. And the Finn/Rose side-quest was clunky and meandering. And their weird forced romance certainly didn't salvage it.) I was fine with them being separate for some of it, but they were together for what? The Millennium Falcon afterparty and that was it?

3. Laura Dern's character. her story was fine, and the kamikaze ending looked great, but why create a character out of thin air to do that? If they would have just replaced her with Admiral Akbar, every scene in that storyline would felt 10x more relevant and 10x more interesting. Instead I was just watching her scenes wondering why her hair was purple and why Laura Dern was in a Star Wars movie. And horsefeathering think how awesome seeing Ackbar kamikaze that ship would have been. The fact I'll have to just imagine it for the rest of my life because instead they let Purple Dern do it makes me so angry.

4. They never figured out a satisfying use for Captain Phasma. At least she sort of did something in this movie, but overall, she felt like a cool baddie they never fully delivered on.

5. they still haven't really figured out an interesting way to integrate Poe imo. Him being a totally useless passenger on that escape pod while his Resistance peers were being blown to bits pretty much summed up Poe in a nutshell.

6. I probably would have rather seen Rey and Kylo fight Snoke instead of the red dudes. I understand the argument against it, and I didn't hate Kylo's shifty little move to kill Snoke, but the red dudes felt sort of like faceless drones. You never felt like Rey and Kylo were out of their depth vs them.
0 x

Return to “Social”