♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Derwood » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:55 am

It also helps to have a long and profitable career in another role between those 20 year gaps
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:00 am

This has been an odd tangent.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:04 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:This has been an odd tangent.

I think Ryne Ween thinks that the Simpsons where Mark Hamil is doing dinner theater was actually a documentary
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:20 am

Derwood wrote:It also helps to have a long and profitable career in another role between those 20 year gaps

What role?

It's amazing how protective you can be about what's easentially the Walmart of the film industry.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:26 am

Ryne Ween wrote:
Derwood wrote:It also helps to have a long and profitable career in another role between those 20 year gaps

What role?

I'm unsure if you're being serious, but he is known as the voice of The Joker for the Batman cartoons. In most Batman fans eyes, he is the quintessential version of that character.
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:30 am

cl smooth wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:

What role?

I'm unsure if you're being serious, but he is known as the voice of The Joker for the Batman cartoon. In most Batman fans eyes, he is the quintessential version of that character.

I didn't know that.
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:35 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:This has been an odd tangent.

I noted that mark hamill is getting another run of glory and people got defensive.

Notwithstanding my new understanding that he's voiced a character in a child's cartoon show; mark hamills career as an actor stalled out on him and I'm sure he's enjoying another turn on the stage as Luke skywalker.

Not sure why that became controversial. Actually I am sure why. any comment that is short of crowning Star Wars (and anybody related to star wars except the guy who made it all up) as the zenith of human expression is offensive to most people in this forum.
Last edited by Ryne Ween on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:36 am

Ryne Ween wrote:

What role?

It's amazing how protective you can be about what's easentially the Walmart of the film industry.

As someone who regularly horsefeathers all over things people love, I can safely say you really stink at this.
2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:41 am

Ryne Ween wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Not sure why that became controversial. Actually I am sure why. any comment that is short of crowning Star Wars (and anybody related to star wars except the guy who made it all up) as the zenith of human expression is offensive to most people in this forum.

Or we're blasting you for being utterly ignorant about everything you say. You made a stupid comment about how Hamil has done nothing but Luke Skywalker and you were rightly called out on it. Hell, 10 seconds on IMDB before you posted would have shown you how stupid that post was
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:43 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:

What role?

As someone who regularly [expletive] all over things people love, I can safely say you really stink at this.

I can't stop myself no matter the efficacy. I blame the Star Wars fans and the people who made the avengers and transformers the most watched movies in history for certain things. Like a few weeks ago somebody at work said "George Martin died" and I was shocked and I said "oh so those books won't be finished" but then I found out its actually a very important creative contributor to some of the greatest albums ever recorded that has died not the slob sword and sorcery writer.
Last edited by Ryne Ween on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:45 am

Derwood wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Or we're blasting you for being utterly ignorant about everything you say. You made a stupid comment about how Hamil has done nothing but Luke Skywalker and you were rightly called out on it. Hell, 10 seconds on IMDB before you posted would have shown you how stupid that post was

What channel is this cartoon on?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:21 am

Ryne Ween wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:
What role?

As someone who regularly [expletive] all over things people love, I can safely say you really stink at this.

I can't stop myself no matter the efficacy. I blame the Star Wars fans and the people who made the avengers and transformers the most watched movies in history for certain things. Like a few weeks ago somebody at work said "George Martin died" and I was shocked and I said "oh so those books won't be finished" but then I found out its actually a very important creative contributor to some of the greatest albums ever recorded that has died not the slob sword and sorcery writer.

This is very weak.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:58 am

Ryne Ween wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:

What channel is this cartoon on?

Mark Hamill has a lengthy resume of doing voice work for a ton of cartoons and video games...just check his IMDb.

The Joker is by far his most famous character...and it's not just been one shoe, though it started with Batman: The Animated Series in the 90s.

Example:
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:29 pm

The thing I find so odd about the comment is A) the hokey language (another bite at the apple), but more so B) the timing.

The movie has been out for several months. The movie has been at the forefront of entertainment discussion for a good year, and Mark Hamill has been right there with it all along. You're just now noting that he's having a star wars related resurgence? Just ignore the fact that he's had a successful career all along, what makes you decide in mid-April to point out that Mark Hamill is a person who exists in the public eye?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:45 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:The thing I find so odd about the comment is A) the hokey language (another bite at the apple), but more so B) the timing.

The movie has been out for several months. The movie has been at the forefront of entertainment discussion for a good year, and Mark Hamill has been right there with it all along. You're just now noting that he's having a star wars related resurgence? Just ignore the fact that he's had a successful career all along, what makes you decide in mid-April to point out that Mark Hamill is a person who exists in the public eye?

I was actually in reaction to a picture that was posted by somebody in this thread immediately before my bite at the apple remark. He's piggybacking on the girl who plays his daughter in the new movie. It was posted in a particular way as a spoiler that had the effect of "omg here's gonna be a picture of Luke teaching a Jedi the force!" But then you click it and it's mark Hamill just joshing the Internet. Just a really silly and fun moment between Luke skywalker and the world. And I'm thinking to myself "mark hamill is one lucky horsefeathers that his one acting role (I guess not including voicing the cartoon Joker) continues to reinvigorate itself as a dominant commercial enterprise each decade" and I posted it in a short and folksy way that pissed everybody off so much because what a great time to be I alive I went to the movies and for the first time in 30 years I saw a Star Wars again!
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:49 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:The thing I find so odd about the comment is A) the hokey language (another bite at the apple), but more so B) the timing.

I was actually in reaction to a picture that was posted by somebody in this thread immediately before my bite at the apple remark. He's piggybacking on the girl who plays his daughter in the new movie. It was posted in a particular way as a spoiler that had the effect of "omg here's gonna be a picture of Luke teaching a Jedi the force!" But then you click it and it's mark Hamill just joshing the Internet. Just a really silly and fun moment between Luke skywalker and the world. And I'm thinking to myself "mark hamill is one lucky [expletive] that his one acting role (I guess not including voicing the cartoon Joker) continues to reinvigorate itself as a dominant commercial enterprise each decade" and I posted it in a short and folksy way that pissed everybody off so much because what a great time to be I alive I went to the movies and for the first time in 30 years I saw a Star Wars again!

spoiler alert:

he was not in the prequels.

In addition to voicing the joker, he was also in many broadway shows and has been a working actor for decades. Obviously you haven't taken the time to figure out why people think your comment was so dumb, but that's just you I guess.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

New York Cubs Fan
All-Star

Postby New York Cubs Fan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:50 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:

I was actually in reaction to a picture that was posted by somebody in this thread immediately before my bite at the apple remark. He's piggybacking on the girl who plays his daughter in the new movie. It was posted in a particular way as a spoiler that had the effect of "omg here's gonna be a picture of Luke teaching a Jedi the force!" But then you click it and it's mark Hamill just joshing the Internet. Just a really silly and fun moment between Luke skywalker and the world. And I'm thinking to myself "mark hamill is one lucky [expletive] that his one acting role (I guess not including voicing the cartoon Joker) continues to reinvigorate itself as a dominant commercial enterprise each decade" and I posted it in a short and folksy way that pissed everybody off so much because what a great time to be I alive I went to the movies and for the first time in 30 years I saw a Star Wars again!

Not that it really matters to the discussion, but the picture was actually supposed to be them pretending to do this:
That's why the joke was Jedi training.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:57 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:

You have a lot of strong opinions on things you don't know much about.
0 x

New York Cubs Fan
All-Star

Postby New York Cubs Fan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:18 pm

Banedon wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:

You have a lot of strong opinions on things you don't know much about.

Hard to believe Ryne Ween isn't a Cardinals fan. (Maybe he is, I just try to ignore him)
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:50 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:

spoiler alert:

In addition to voicing the joker, he was also in many broadway shows and has been a working actor for decades. Obviously you haven't taken the time to figure out why people think your comment was so dumb, but that's just you I guess.

I went back and read Hamill's acting credits. And informed thus, have made an honest appraisal of his career outside of Luke skywalker.
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:56 pm

We all know that Luke Skywalker or the voice of Joker isn't the biggest role of his career, it's this...

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:16 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:

What in the world is going on in that brain of yours.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:48 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:

spoiler alert:

I went back and read Hamill's acting credits. And informed thus, have made an honest appraisal of his career outside of Luke skywalker.

He has 283 acting credits on his imdb page. For reference, Tom Hanks only has 79. Harrison Ford has 73.

The 283 doesn't even include his numerous broadway appearances.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:55 pm

He's basically Tom Cruise.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:20 pm