♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 66297
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 723
x 1485

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Derwood » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:09 pm

Again, I don't want an insane back story. I don't need a 10 minute flashback showing his rise to power. A few lines would suffice.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73346
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7491
x 10032

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:19 pm

Hey, like I said, make it whatever you want in your head; that's kinda the beauty when you don't feel the need to spell everything out for the audience when you don't have to. Literally the only other time that's happened in the movies that are any good is Obi-Wan in ANH talking about Anakin, and he was lying his ass off. Otherwise, I have no clue why something, like, "well, his death didn't have any meaning for me before, but now that the expanded cut has those lines about how he was a bitter Imperial accountant who figured out how to use magic tricks to make everything think he could use the Force, whew, that horsefeathers has some MEANING," would be a thing.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 66297
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 723
x 1485

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Derwood » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:22 pm

You don't think Snoke's death would be more significant if we knew more about him?
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73346
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7491
x 10032

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:28 pm

Not really. I know I keep pointing to the Emperor, but it's so similar; we only knew just enough for his death to matter in the sense of, "this is the Boss Bad Guy dying and, most importantly, it's a HUGE THING for characters who are much more important and we've spent much more time with." Like, I just don't care enough about either Snoke or the Emperor because they essentially only exist to be over the top eeeeeeeeeeevilllllllll bad guys who drive the story forward for the characters who matter. Snoke's death only matters because he's powerful and intimidating and he's Kylo's master. The impact all comes from how it happens and who does it and when it happens; where Snoke came from and how he got there is basically irrelevant.

Like I said before, think Sauron (from the movies; those books are a whole other animal).
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 66297
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 723
x 1485

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Derwood » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:39 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Like I said before, think Sauron (from the movies; those books are a whole other animal).


Except Sauron didn't get killed by an underling halfway through The Two Towers
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73346
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7491
x 10032

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:45 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Like I said before, think Sauron (from the movies; those books are a whole other animal).


Except Sauron didn't get killed by an underling halfway through The Two Towers


Image

For the sake of your argument, then just push Snoke's fate back so it happens in the 3rd movie instead of the 2nd; regardless of when he dies, the point is we don't need a Big Bad's backstory spelled out for them to be an effective Big Bad. The Emperor, Snoke, Sauron...all that really matters from them is the threat they pose to the characters who matter. They're basically little more than evolved versions of Jaws or Godzilla.

And also way to make it sound like a space-janitor just suddenly snuck up and kacked Snoke out of nowhere.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 66297
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 723
x 1485

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Derwood » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:15 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
And also way to make it sound like a space-janitor just suddenly snuck up and kacked Snoke out of nowhere.


You're right, Finn didn't kill him
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57372
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1861
x 6135

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:44 pm

Derwood wrote:You don't think Snoke's death would be more significant if we knew more about him?

If it was snoke Wars, sure. But he wasn't the point. The point is kylos internal battle. Luke, the rebel/resistance people who are new to the thing and a lot of others.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 44049
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 63
x 1781
Contact:

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:47 pm

I really think Tarkin dying when the death star blew would have been more impactful if we could have gotten just a few lines about his rise to power.
3 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73346
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7491
x 10032

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:58 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
And also way to make it sound like a space-janitor just suddenly snuck up and kacked Snoke out of nowhere.


You're right, Finn didn't kill him


Well, now I wish that that had happened just to see how many fanboy skulls would have popped from 28 aneurysms happening at once.
1 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65101
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3954
x 4010

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Banedon » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:56 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:This reminds me of the Westworld podcasts I listen to. These dudes will gripe “we had a whole episode, why are there questions left unresolved????”


Decoding Westworld is great. Well...Joanna Robinson is great. David Chen...meh.

They had Paul Scheer on the preview episode for the season too...
0 x
Image

biittner77
Superstar
Posts: 10444
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:10 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
x 12
x 193

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby biittner77 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:57 pm

Tim wrote:I really think Tarkin dying when the death star blew would have been more impactful if we could have gotten just a few lines about his rise to power.


Read the books, Nerdlinger.

In all seriousness, TLJ was the 2nd act in a 3 act play. If it answered all the questions there wouldn't be anything left for the third act.

If you haven't rewatched TLJ at home, do that right away.

Speaking of the prequels which were brought up earlier: If a more charismatic actor had been cast as Anakin, would Darth Vader's back story have been more interesting? I've always felt like a better written and directed version of what happened would have been great. Tragedy only works if the character is relatable or likeable. Anakin is neither of those things. His fall doesn't affect us because he's a dick and his redemption doesn't really make any sense.

How about this as his story. The Jedi find out about his marriage and they tell him he has to end it or leave the Jedi order. That leads to a confrontation after which Anakin is angry and confused. The Emperor then tells him that the Jedi have Padme in the Jedi Temple and are going to kill her in some sort of Jedi abortion ritual so he goes there and kills everyone thinking that he is on a rescue mission. The last guy he fights in the temple tells him that Obi Wan has Padme. Anakin goes off to find Obi Wan who now knows that Anakin just killed everyone at the Jedi Temple. They fight and Anakin, who still doesn't have the high ground, loses. He gets saved by the emperor who tells him that Padme is dead, killed by the Jedi. Anakin turns to evil.
1 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73346
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7491
x 10032

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:55 pm

biittner77 wrote:Speaking of the prequels which were brought up earlier: If a more charismatic actor had been cast as Anakin, would Darth Vader's back story have been more interesting? I've always felt like a better written and directed version of what happened would have been great. Tragedy only works if the character is relatable or likeable. Anakin is neither of those things. His fall doesn't affect us because he's a dick and his redemption doesn't really make any sense.


IMO, it's a real damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Like, Darth Vader is a REALLY terrible person...android...thing. Yeah, the whole thing with Luke is him trying to somehow redeem him, but that really only works because we only see him as Darth Vader until the very end and the rest is left up to us to imagine. To actually depict a character who is super likable and charming and beloved and then somehow have him swing all the way to being Cybernetic Space Hitler is a pretty tall order, so I get why they went with trying to show him as troubled and flawed from the beginning so it didn't seem like too drastic a swerve. Of course, that doesn't mean they came anywhere close to doing it well, and it really just makes the whole thing a lot more mundane even if it was; "yeah, Darth Vader is one of the most iconic villains in film history, but it turns out that before he was Darth Vader he was really just kind of a horsefeathers guy all along.

Personally, I think one of the things Lucas misjudged was saying that Episodes 1-6 were going to end up being "the story of Anakin Skywalker." The OT really isn't "about" him or Vader, and the PT didn't have to be, too. IMO, if they had wanted to pull off an actual epic dramatic/tragic arc, the main character should have been Padme. Obviously, Anakin would play a major part with something like that, but it would give them a little more freedom to tell a story. Anakin is basically set on rail as to how it plays out for him.
0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 44049
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 63
x 1781
Contact:

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:59 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
biittner77 wrote:Speaking of the prequels which were brought up earlier: If a more charismatic actor had been cast as Anakin, would Darth Vader's back story have been more interesting? I've always felt like a better written and directed version of what happened would have been great. Tragedy only works if the character is relatable or likeable. Anakin is neither of those things. His fall doesn't affect us because he's a dick and his redemption doesn't really make any sense.


IMO, it's a real damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Like, Darth Vader is a REALLY terrible person...android...thing. Yeah, the whole thing with Luke is him trying to somehow redeem him, but that really only works because we only see him as Darth Vader until the very end and the rest is left up to us to imagine. To actually depict a character who is super likable and charming and beloved and then somehow have him swing all the way to being Cybernetic Space Hitler is a pretty tall order, so I get why they went with trying to show him as troubled and flawed from the beginning so it didn't seem like too drastic a swerve. Of course, that doesn't mean they came anywhere close to doing it well, and it really just makes the whole thing a lot more mundane even if it was; "yeah, Darth Vader is one of the most iconic villains in film history, but it turns out that before he was Darth Vader he was really just kind of a horsefeathers guy all along.

Personally, I think one of the things Lucas misjudged was saying that Episodes 1-6 were going to end up being "the story of Anakin Skywalker." The OT really isn't "about" him or Vader, and the PT didn't have to be, too. IMO, if they had wanted to pull off an actual epic dramatic/tragic arc, the main character should have been Padme. Obviously, Anakin would play a major part with something like that, but it would give them a little more freedom to tell a story. Anakin is basically set on rail as to how it plays out for him.

Obi Wan
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73346
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7491
x 10032

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:06 pm

Tim wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
biittner77 wrote:Speaking of the prequels which were brought up earlier: If a more charismatic actor had been cast as Anakin, would Darth Vader's back story have been more interesting? I've always felt like a better written and directed version of what happened would have been great. Tragedy only works if the character is relatable or likeable. Anakin is neither of those things. His fall doesn't affect us because he's a dick and his redemption doesn't really make any sense.


IMO, it's a real damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Like, Darth Vader is a REALLY terrible person...android...thing. Yeah, the whole thing with Luke is him trying to somehow redeem him, but that really only works because we only see him as Darth Vader until the very end and the rest is left up to us to imagine. To actually depict a character who is super likable and charming and beloved and then somehow have him swing all the way to being Cybernetic Space Hitler is a pretty tall order, so I get why they went with trying to show him as troubled and flawed from the beginning so it didn't seem like too drastic a swerve. Of course, that doesn't mean they came anywhere close to doing it well, and it really just makes the whole thing a lot more mundane even if it was; "yeah, Darth Vader is one of the most iconic villains in film history, but it turns out that before he was Darth Vader he was really just kind of a horsefeathers guy all along.

Personally, I think one of the things Lucas misjudged was saying that Episodes 1-6 were going to end up being "the story of Anakin Skywalker." The OT really isn't "about" him or Vader, and the PT didn't have to be, too. IMO, if they had wanted to pull off an actual epic dramatic/tragic arc, the main character should have been Padme. Obviously, Anakin would play a major part with something like that, but it would give them a little more freedom to tell a story. Anakin is basically set on rail as to how it plays out for him.

Obi Wan


Kind of a similar situation with Anakin in that he's stuck as to how he ends up since we saw exactly what happens to him. Again, he and Anakin obviously would have to be major characters, but if Obi-Wan is your main character, then Anakin essentially becomes the default co-main character.

Like, I don't think it's impossible for the prequels to have been well done if they focused on following those two; I just would have preferred if it had focused more on someone who we didn't really know anything about. I think it would have given Lucas more freedom with the story he was trying to tell.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65101
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3954
x 4010

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Banedon » Fri May 04, 2018 1:37 pm

Man this is good...

Image
5 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57372
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1861
x 6135

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 15, 2018 2:30 pm

2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22075
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 601
x 1006

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue May 15, 2018 8:32 pm

reviews for Solo drop in 30 minutes. are you guys ready for a slew of kathleen kennedy takes?
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 66297
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 723
x 1485

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Derwood » Tue May 15, 2018 9:59 pm

17 Seconds wrote:reviews for Solo drop in 30 minutes. are you guys ready for a slew of kathleen kennedy takes?



Somehow Rian Johnson will be blamed
0 x

biittner77
Superstar
Posts: 10444
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:10 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
x 12
x 193

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby biittner77 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:24 pm

Somewhere, someone is already getting footage for the Nerd Wars documentary exploring how Star Wars movies are never going to satisfy Star Wars fans.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24259
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 22
x 2177
Contact:

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Brian » Wed May 16, 2018 3:02 pm

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/05/1 ... ld-glover/

Star Wars likes being in the Donald Glover business.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65101
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3954
x 4010

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Banedon » Wed May 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Brian wrote:http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/05/16/star-wars-lando-calrissian-movie-donald-glover/

Star Wars likes being in the Donald Glover business.


Image
0 x
Image

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24259
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 22
x 2177
Contact:

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Brian » Wed May 16, 2018 3:53 pm

They should have Hiro Murai direct it, but I don't see that happening.
1 x

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 31352
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 1798
x 4242
Contact:

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed May 16, 2018 4:08 pm

they should let donald glover direct it
0 x

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 8835
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1143
x 458

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby javy knows my name » Wed May 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Brian wrote:They should have Hiro Murai direct it, but I don't see that happening.


THAT WOULD BE BOMB

I don't see it, either
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests