♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

biittner77
Superstar

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby biittner77 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:33 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I'm pretty sure I could go a long, long time without hearing anyone's takes, good or bad, on TLJ.

"Stop liking that thing that you like because I didn't like it!"
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu May 31, 2018 7:11 pm

biittner77 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I'm pretty sure I could go a long, long time without hearing anyone's takes, good or bad, on TLJ.

"Stop liking that thing that you like because I didn't like it!"

Like, I can't even process the idea of seeing the bazillionth breakdown of a SW movie on YouTube and thinking, "ooooh, this is something I should invest my time in."
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu May 31, 2018 8:22 pm

God, how many have you watched that you’re this burned out?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu May 31, 2018 8:31 pm

It's been years; I watched a bunch when everyone decided to try and copy the RLM reviews after those all came out, and just got sick of it well before TFA was even announced.

They're really, really simple films. It's insane that people can squeeze out this much content just parroting the same things in slightly different ways (which, hell, I guess is fitting given the franchise). Nobody seems to just have fun watching these movies, and I don't get it.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 pm

That's not really what the video I linked is. The series is more about general storytelling/movie making principles and in this episode it's more about how those worked and didn't in TLJ. If it wasn't a video series I was already watching on a regular basis, I'd probably feel the same.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu May 31, 2018 9:05 pm

I look at it like this: SW is basically like chocolate. It's designed to evoke really simple, emotional pleasure center responses. But that's a double-edged sword; when that doesn't work for someone, it REALLY burns them because they're expecting that chocolate high. And you can take the most world-renowned chocolate recipes and find plenty of people that think they taste disgusting; how can you reconcile that? You can't. You either like it or you don't.

I obviously don't think that applies to most films, but with these, the recipes are REALLY obvious, and it either works for you or it doesn't.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Thu May 31, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu May 31, 2018 9:15 pm

^^ I like this much better than the standard car analogy.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:03 pm

Last night I watched TLJ for the first time since it was in theaters.

The movie greatly benefits from a second viewing. It has its issues, but the amount of hand-wringing over this movie has been baffling.

I think TLJ >>> Solo, FWIW
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:38 am

I got a notice from the bookface asking if I wanted to join a group called All Things Star Wars. I joined because I thought it might be funny to see what the whining fan boys had to say about Solo. Instead, they seem obsessed with some sort of boycott in an apparent effort to get Kathleen Kennedy fired because 7 and 8 have a liberal agenda. :banghead:

There was some great comedy though. One guy was saying that "ROTJ was a great way to wrap up the story and he couldn't see why these movies needed to be made." Another guy suggested that the way to "fix" episode IX was to make the events of Episodes 7 & 8 a force vision had by Luke. That would allow them to bring back Luke and Han.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:12 pm

biittner77 wrote:Another guy suggested that the way to "fix" episode IX was to make the events of Episodes 7 & 8 a force vision had by Luke. That would allow them to bring back Luke and Han.

luke goes all scarlett witch on us, says "no more females" and the fan edit of the last jedi without women becomes canon. :crazy: :crazy:
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:36 pm

IGN posted an article called something like "The Internet has figured out how to fix The Last Jedi" and I was like "noooooope"
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 am

https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-the-star ... 1826992769

All "Star Wars Story" films are being put on hold
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:03 am

Rogue One and Solo were both enjoyable movies, but I don't think anyone is going to be too broken up about this.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:01 pm

Banedon wrote:Rogue One and Solo were both enjoyable movies, but I don't think anyone is going to be too broken up about this.

I'm definitely not. The MCU approach to film releases simply won't work for Star Wars
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm

The relative pearl-clutching people have descended to over the idea of one SW movie a year makes me want to build a time machine AND a cloning machine so I can amass an army of 7-year old me's to annoy everyone to death.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:35 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:The relative pearl-clutching people have descended to over the idea of one SW movie a year makes me want to build a time machine AND a cloning machine so I can amass an army of 7-year old me's to annoy everyone to death.

It's not pearl-clutching, it's Disney trying to make too many movies based around the same small number of characters. If the Star Wars Universe had as many heroes/villains as the MCU, it could justify putting out one or two movies per year
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:39 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:The relative pearl-clutching people have descended to over the idea of one SW movie a year makes me want to build a time machine AND a cloning machine so I can amass an army of 7-year old me's to annoy everyone to death.

It's not pearl-clutching, it's Disney trying to make too many movies based around the same small number of characters. If the Star Wars Universe had as many heroes/villains as the MCU, it could justify putting out one or two movies per year

i dont think this argument makes any sense

the problem is more that the star wars movies, despite their best efforts, are really only attracting the nostalgia crowd. All of my friend's kids were [expletive] their pants to see the avengers and none of them cared about any of the star wars movies.
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:41 pm

Derwood wrote:

One movie a year; Marvel's doing three. SW could easily sustain just a single movie a year for at least a decade post what's already planned/been discussed, so talking like they somehow need to act sparingly to protect the integrity of whatever the horsefeathers is cheesy as hell.

SW is good and fun even when it's bad, and waiting 2-3 years or more for a new movie stinks, and in the end it just means less SW movies to see before I am dead. Taking the standpoint of "I would like to be able to see fewer SW movies" is madness.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:47 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Derwood wrote:

the problem is more that the star wars movies, despite their best efforts, are really only attracting the nostalgia crowd. All of my friend's kids were [expletive] their pants to see the avengers and none of them cared about any of the star wars movies.

I don't think that's the case given the sheer scope of how well these movies do sans Solo; it's definitely not the new hotness like Marvel, but if Lucasfilm/Disney actually put everything on hold because of a movie where they fired the directors and had to basically reshoot the entire movie and had a relatively tiny marketing push in the middle of a crowded blockbuster season, I really just don't get it. If they can figure out the seemingly very easy steps of hiring a filmmaker and sticking with them, and also sticking with releasing SW films in December where they dominate with little competition, it seems like a really simple way to keep making hugely successful SW films without nonsense made up things like "SW fatigue."
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Derwood wrote:

The old expanded universe had more than enough characters. Plus...new characters can be, follow me here, created.
1 x
Spoiler: show

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:01 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Derwood wrote:

I don't think that's the case given the sheer scope of how well these movies do sans Solo; it's definitely not the new hotness like Marvel, but if Lucasfilm/Disney actually put everything on hold because of a movie where they fired the directors and had to basically reshoot the entire movie and had a relatively tiny marketing push in the middle of a crowded blockbuster season, I really just don't get it. If they can figure out the seemingly very easy steps of hiring a filmmaker and sticking with them, and also sticking with releasing SW films in December where they dominate with little competition, it seems like a really simple way to keep making hugely successful SW films without nonsense made up things like "SW fatigue."

you nailed it. this is all due to the knee-jerk reaction of solo's "sub-par" box office numbers and what (unfortunately) feels like succumbing to the anti-solo crowd. disney should keep releasing the star wars films around christmas due to lack of competition and keep it at that. one star wars movie every 12 months will put a smile on my face.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Tim wrote:
Derwood wrote:

The old expanded universe had more than enough characters. Plus...new characters can be, follow me here, created.

They can, and a lot of people want them to, but so far, they just aren't
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:43 pm

They...aren't creating new characters?

What.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:44 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:They...aren't creating new characters?

What.

They're creating new characters that are all tied into the Luke-Skywalker plot.

They're afraid to start a brand new storyline with all new characters/relationships that doesn't tie into Luke.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:50 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:They...aren't creating new characters?

What.

They're creating new characters that are all tied into the Luke-Skywalker plot.

They're afraid to start a brand new storyline with all new characters/relationships that doesn't tie into Luke.

I know Rogue One had Vader and Leia, but none of the main cast of character had jack to do with anything Skywalker.
0 x

Return to “Social”