♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:52 pm

Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:They...aren't creating new characters?

What.

They're creating new characters that are all tied into the Luke-Skywalker plot.

They're afraid to start a brand new storyline with all new characters/relationships that doesn't tie into Luke.

I know Rogue One had Vader and Leia, but none of the main cast of character had jack to do with anything Skywalker.

It's in the same Anakin ->> Luke ->> Rey story arc.

I know a lot of fans would love to see a KOTOR - era movie, but I'm guessing that never happens
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:54 pm

That's more than a bit of a stretch just so you can dismiss all of the new characters we've gotten over the last four films as not counting simply because they exist in the same galaxy as Luke Skywalker.

Plus any time you get someone with the ol', "I want a NEW SW!" complaint, when you ask them to actually describe what they would be like they inevitably end up describing some kind of completely different sci-fi/fantasy world that maybe happens to have a lightsaber or two hanging around.

Basically it's like saying you want to try a different type of pizza (YES, IT ALWAYS COMES BACK TO PIZZA), and then describing a cheeseburger with a little tomato sauce on it. It makes zero sense to create something within the SW world, and then all but completely divorce it from the things that got people to fall in love with that world in the first place. Rian Johnson and the GoT guys aren't going to create their upcoming SW movies to have nothing to do with what we've already seen; that would be dumb, and simply using SW as nothing more than a brand for a totally different space fantasy franchise. I go to a SW movie, it's because I want to see some familiar SW things to hit that SW sweet spot.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:55 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:They...aren't creating new characters?

What.

They're creating new characters that are all tied into the Luke-Skywalker plot.

They're afraid to start a brand new storyline with all new characters/relationships that doesn't tie into Luke.

Based on the descriptions when they were announced, this is exactly what both Rian Johnson's trilogy and the Benioff/Weiss trilogy are supposed to do.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Making movies with Sith and Jedi and the Empire and bounty hunters and all that is awesome. No one is saying they want a SW movie that doesn't have those things in it. They just want a different storyline within that framework.

The reason KOTOR comes up so often is because it is thousands of years before the Luke arc, but has tons of great characters from the Jedi and Sith side
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Rian Johnson and the GoT guys aren't going to create their upcoming SW movies to have nothing to do with what we've already seen; that would be dumb, and simply using SW as nothing more than a brand for a totally different space fantasy franchise. I go to a SW movie, it's because I want to see some familiar SW things to hit that SW sweet spot.

Huh...my understanding was that neither series would have anything to do with the Skywalker clan or the associated characters. What it would have is some sort of Republic vs Empire, Jedi vs Sith, etc. storyline that would tie it into the universe.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:59 pm

Derwood wrote:Making movies with Sith and Jedi and the Empire and bounty hunters and all that is awesome. No one is saying they want a SW movie that doesn't have those things in it. They just want a different storyline within that framework.

The reason KOTOR comes up so often is because it is thousands of years before the Luke arc, but has tons of great characters from the Jedi and Sith side

You're going way overboard with nobodies and everybodies.

What we have seen is that it is impossible to please all star wars fans with anything you do.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Tim wrote:
Derwood wrote:Making movies with Sith and Jedi and the Empire and bounty hunters and all that is awesome. No one is saying they want a SW movie that doesn't have those things in it. They just want a different storyline within that framework.

You're going way overboard with nobodies and everybodies.

What we have seen is that it is impossible to please all star wars fans with anything you do.

Fair point
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:02 pm

maybe disney forgot to screen the movies to focus groups:

https://youtu.be/yGsHq-mZI8U?t=70
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:05 pm

Tim wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Rian Johnson and the GoT guys aren't going to create their upcoming SW movies to have nothing to do with what we've already seen; that would be dumb, and simply using SW as nothing more than a brand for a totally different space fantasy franchise. I go to a SW movie, it's because I want to see some familiar SW things to hit that SW sweet spot.

Huh...my understanding was that neither series would have anything to do with the Skywalker clan or the associated characters. What it would have is some sort of Republic vs Empire, Jedi vs Sith, etc. storyline that would tie it into the universe.

Yeah, it's largely just going to be re-labeling and slight tweak what we've seen before, I guarantee it. KotoR is a tried and true SW story, where just the names have been changed and you're constantly reminded that it's "hundreds of years ago," even though almost everything is the same. SW is what it is, and even when it's supposedly scarily different to the point it breaks some fans' brains (like TLJ), it's ultimately just a slight variation on what we've seen before and what we'll continue to get.

It's movie/pop culture comfort food, and I will never understand people trying to convince themselves that it's something else, or should be something else. Thinking it's somehow drastically different just because Luke Skywalker isn't around is goofy.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:25 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:The relative pearl-clutching people have descended to over the idea of one SW movie a year makes me want to build a time machine AND a cloning machine so I can amass an army of 7-year old me's to annoy everyone to death.

It's not pearl-clutching, it's Disney trying to make too many movies based around the same small number of characters. If the Star Wars Universe had as many heroes/villains as the MCU, it could justify putting out one or two movies per year

i dont think this argument makes any sense

the problem is more that the star wars movies, despite their best efforts, are really only attracting the nostalgia crowd. All of my friend's kids were [expletive] their pants to see the avengers and none of them cared about any of the star wars movies.

My daughter got into Star Wars on her own and I know a lot of parents with kids who are really into it.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:12 pm

I'm watching Rogue One on Netflix while doing paperwork. That movie is by far the best movie in the Star Wars universe. It's not even close.
1 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:55 pm

CubinNY wrote:I'm watching Rogue One on Netflix while doing paperwork. That movie is by far the best movie in the Star Wars universe. It's not even close.

You need to see more than the prequels to speak for the star wars universe, man
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:57 pm

CubinNY wrote:I'm watching Rogue One on Netflix while doing paperwork. That movie is by far the best movie in the Star Wars universe. It's not even close.

it's true
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:02 pm

The original is still always gonna be #1 for me, but R1 is right there in 2nd place.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:15 am

Not being able to see a Kenobi movie is the only thing upsetting about this. That was the only stand alone that I cared about.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:04 pm

LucasFilm has already come out with a statement saying that several projects are in development and that the first report was false, so...
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:34 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:The relative pearl-clutching people have descended to over the idea of one SW movie a year makes me want to build a time machine AND a cloning machine so I can amass an army of 7-year old me's to annoy everyone to death.

It's not pearl-clutching, it's Disney trying to make too many movies based around the same small number of characters. If the Star Wars Universe had as many heroes/villains as the MCU, it could justify putting out one or two movies per year

i dont think this argument makes any sense

the problem is more that the star wars movies, despite their best efforts, are really only attracting the nostalgia crowd. All of my friend's kids were [expletive] their pants to see the avengers and none of them cared about any of the star wars movies.

This isn't accurate at all. My daughter is 10 and my girlfriend's kids are 8 and 10 and all 3 of them love anything and everything Star wars. They like the Avengers stuff but not near as much as Star Wars.
0 x
I like beer.

illiniguy
Hall of Fame

Postby illiniguy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:47 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Not being able to see a Kenobi movie is the only thing upsetting about this. That was the only stand alone that I cared about.

Hasn't it been reported that McGregor is interested in doing it? I cannot see them not doing this if he is.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:00 am

so we're just not going to talk about keri russell being in episode IX?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:08 am

Because it's a horsefeathering travesty that Mail Robot was passed over.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:16 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Because it's a horsefeathering travesty that Mail Robot was passed over.

i never watched the last 2 seasons because it felt like it was spinning its wheels too much. is it worth doing it now?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:17 am

I kinda don't want you to get to watch it for saying such a thing.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:18 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:I kinda don't want you to get to watch it for saying such a thing.

i did the same thing for halt and catch fire. suck it
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:05 am

17 Seconds wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Because it's a horsefeathering travesty that Mail Robot was passed over.

i never watched the last 2 seasons because it felt like it was spinning its wheels too much. is it worth doing it now?

It totally spun its wheels but last few eps were worth it
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:21 am

Sweet
2 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Return to “Social”