non-binding, non-legal, legal questions

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

non-binding, non-legal, legal questions

Postby CubinNY » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:28 pm

For the past 4 years I've been working as a contractor, part time to earn extra money while I got my clinic off the ground. Each year the company has made it more difficult (now impossible) for me to set my own hours and are now requiring me to log finished jobs. I've also had to purchase a computer just for use for this job. This job is very lucrative and I enjoy what I do. I've always done a good job and they seem very happy with me.

Questions:

1. I'm an employee and not a contractor according to my reading of the IRS requirements. I have to work between the hours of 8 and 5 and I have to send productivity measures to my employer every month. Should I tell my employer that I think I should be qualified as an employee and risk being fired? The reason why I want to do this is leverage them into letting me set my hours so they are more flexible. My clinic has grown and it's becoming increasingly difficult to manage both responsibilities.

2. If I make the request and they fire me should I let the IRS know? In essence, I've been paying their taxes for me for 4 years. I'm pretty sure they've been violating the law for the vast majority of time I've worked for them.

3. Should I just keep quiet and hang on until I can no longer do both jobs?
0 x

Return to “Social”