Fred Hornkohl (1951-2016): Donations to Rizzo Family Foundation

Mark Prior's Calves
5-Time All-Star

Re: Fred Hornkohl (1951-2016): Donations to Rizzo Family Foundation

Postby Mark Prior's Calves » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:13 pm

Fredsbigsis wrote:Fred and I came home from school every day to watch the cartoons. When the Cubs game ran late I would get annoyed. Fred discovered his life long love of baseball and the Cubs, at age 5. He started collecting baseball cards and memorizing stats at age 6. At 8, Mom would drop us off at the park with money for $3 box seats, a program and snacks. Fred taught me how to keep the box score. When the game was over Mom would head to Wrigley, Fred and I would start walking home, and we'd meet part way on Addison St. Imagine doing that today. I can never hear about the Cubs without thinking of him.

Thank you. Sorry for your loss.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:53 am

Fredsbigsis wrote:Fred and I came home from school every day to watch the cartoons. When the Cubs game ran late I would get annoyed. Fred discovered his life long love of baseball and the Cubs, at age 5. He started collecting baseball cards and memorizing stats at age 6. At 8, Mom would drop us off at the park with money for $3 box seats, a program and snacks. Fred taught me how to keep the box score. When the game was over Mom would head to Wrigley, Fred and I would start walking home, and we'd meet part way on Addison St. Imagine doing that today. I can never hear about the Cubs without thinking of him.

Thanks for signing up and sharing!
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Coach C
5-Time All-Star

Postby Coach C » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:47 pm

Oh damn..... that really stinks to hear. I'm so sorry for the loss of Fred. I met him once when I was in Chicago for a week vacation with my ex. It was a long time ago, but if my memory serves me right, it was me, Fred, and there was one more member here from NSBB. It was Harry Caray's restaurant in downtown Chicago. We had a cold one and just BS'ing about the Cubs.

Great guy.
0 x

CubmanPi
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubmanPi » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:33 am

Back from the service and reunion and all the traveling.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing and posting on here. Someone pointed out earlier that this thread was shared with the family, and Len's shoutout at the end of the game against the Cardinals definitely blew some minds. The posterboard collages at his memorial service included the photos that were shared earlier in the thread, and all the stories shared here were discussed all week, including by the minister during the actual service. Bruce Miles even threw him a nod in his Facebook post the next morning by leading with "Greetings from lovely..." It was very clear to his IRL family that this was a real loss to the NSBB family as well, and the response here provided invaluable comfort and laughter.
30 x
TOAD SUCK 4 EVER.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:36 pm

Thanks for sharing that.
0 x

wekse
5-Time All-Star

Postby wekse » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:42 pm

That's so wonderful. Fred was a great man, I feel so lucky to have been able to take in a game with him years ago.
1 x

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:37 pm

I was lucky to get tickets for game 1 and will bring the same nephew who was with me the first time I met Fred. I know Fred was not a drinker, but while in Chicago, I am going to raise a glass to him and know I will think of him while I'm in the city.
9 x

doublebubble
Starter

Postby doublebubble » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:00 pm

Ive been coming here since late 2003. Fred was one of the best parts of this board. I will really miss him, his stats, and his insightful quips. I didn't know him personally but it feels like a family member just died. I will miss his insight and optimism.
2 x
#beliEVEN
#belieVIN
#believeland

Fly the :flythew:

KatJ
All-Star

Postby KatJ » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:47 pm

So sad to hear about this at this late date. I miss his stats already. A true gentleman above all.
2 x
"Don't ever permit the pressure to exceed the pleasure." -- Joe Maddon

NotSoSober
All-Star

Postby NotSoSober » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:23 am

RIP Fred. Hope you're enjoying this
8 x

NotSoSober
All-Star

Postby NotSoSober » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:46 am

who is out three in a speedo?
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:47 am

For Fred!
8 x
Spoiler: show

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:58 am

For Fred
4 x
I like beer.

E.J.
Hall of Fame

Postby E.J. » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:25 am

I'm very late to hear this news. NSBB used to be my life from 2004 until a few years ago, and then life got in the way. It's fun still seeing some of the same names on here from many years ago and thinking about all that's happened in-between. Fred was always the stats guy who gave everyone the rundown of how the Cubs did when losing by 2 heading into the 7th inning. It's so strange coming back here after all these years and hearing this news of Fred's passing. I've also looked over many of the threads, and I see there isn't quite the following that there used to be. We all love the Cubs so much, and we're so excited to see them play in the World Series. This place was home many years ago, and all of you who are still around will always be a part of my growing up. In the end, all I can say is "Go Cubs!". Let's hope we win the World Series for Fred and his always-entertaining stats. He was a huge part of NSBB, and he's definitely missed.
3 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:21 am

E.J. wrote:I'm very late to hear this news. NSBB used to be my life from 2004 until a few years ago, and then life got in the way. It's fun still seeing some of the same names on here from many years ago and thinking about all that's happened in-between. Fred was always the stats guy who gave everyone the rundown of how the Cubs did when losing by 2 heading into the 7th inning. It's so strange coming back here after all these years and hearing this news of Fred's passing. I've also looked over many of the threads, and I see there isn't quite the following that there used to be. We all love the Cubs so much, and we're so excited to see them play in the World Series. This place was home many years ago, and all of you who are still around will always be a part of my growing up. In the end, all I can say is "Go Cubs!". Let's hope we win the World Series for Fred and his always-entertaining stats. He was a huge part of NSBB, and he's definitely missed.

Nice seeing you, E.J. Hope you're doing well.
0 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:19 pm

I just posted this to my Facebook. I figured it would be appropriate here too.

So as everyone knows, the Chicago Cubs play Game 1 of their first World Series they've been in since 1945 tonight. There are plenty of people and even emotions that I could write about, but I'm going to focus on someone I never got the chance to meet.

For about a decade now, I've been a regular poster and follower of a Cubs-related message board called northsidebaseball.com. The community there is filled with Cubs fans who embraced the statistical revolution in baseball rapidly and often discuss all things Cubs and most things MLB from that aspect. This site has actually had a massive influence on how I think about both sports and the world. I would think about WAR in baseball, PER or basketball, or about xG in soccer if I never discovered the site (look those up if you have to, and get more educated about modern pro sports in the process). I wouldn't even have the degree in economics that I got from OU. I definitely wouldn't have the job I currently have right now if it weren't for northsidebaseball.com either.

On this site was by far the die-hardest Cubs fan ever. During the Cubs bad seasons while NSBB existed, this guy would be the only one caring to keep track of any obscure statistic, or even trying to say anything about the Cubs while other fans had moved onto following more exciting teams. It got really lonely for him during 2012 and 2013 while the Cubs were trying to lose to get a high draft pick.

Sometime during this year, this man was diagnosed with late stage cancer and passed away from it in September. Those of us on the board knew that the Cubs we're good enough to finally get to the World Series and maybe even win it this year. Every one of us were devastated to hear of his passing, knowing that the Cubs were going to get to where they are today, and knowing that this was the best Cubs team of his lifetime.

RIP Fred Hornkohl 1951-2016. We all know you're enjoying watching this with Ron Santo, Ernie Banks, and all the other Cubs fans that never got to see the Chicago Cubs play in a World Series.

(Also, if you get so choked up by this story that you want to donate a few bucks to charity, his family requests that you donate to the Rizzo Family Foundation. Anthony Rizzo is a cancer survivor, and his foundation raises money for cancer research. It's not shady like the Clinton or Trump foundations.)
9 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:30 pm

CubInOK wrote:I just posted this to my Facebook. I figured it would be appropriate here too.

So as everyone knows, the Chicago Cubs play Game 1 of their first World Series they've been in since 1945 tonight. There are plenty of people and even emotions that I could write about, but I'm going to focus on someone I never got the chance to meet.

For about a decade now, I've been a regular poster and follower of a Cubs-related message board called northsidebaseball.com. The community there is filled with Cubs fans who embraced the statistical revolution in baseball rapidly and often discuss all things Cubs and most things MLB from that aspect. This site has actually had a massive influence on how I think about both sports and the world. I would think about WAR in baseball, PER or basketball, or about xG in soccer if I never discovered the site (look those up if you have to, and get more educated about modern pro sports in the process). I wouldn't even have the degree in economics that I got from OU. I definitely wouldn't have the job I currently have right now if it weren't for northsidebaseball.com either.

On this site was by far the die-hardest Cubs fan ever. During the Cubs bad seasons while NSBB existed, this guy would be the only one caring to keep track of any obscure statistic, or even trying to say anything about the Cubs while other fans had moved onto following more exciting teams. It got really lonely for him during 2012 and 2013 while the Cubs were trying to lose to get a high draft pick.

Sometime during this year, this man was diagnosed with late stage cancer and passed away from it in September. Those of us on the board knew that the Cubs we're good enough to finally get to the World Series and maybe even win it this year. Every one of us were devastated to hear of his passing, knowing that the Cubs were going to get to where they are today, and knowing that this was the best Cubs team of his lifetime.

RIP Fred Hornkohl 1951-2016. We all know you're enjoying watching this with Ron Santo, Ernie Banks, and all the other Cubs fans that never got to see the Chicago Cubs play in a World Series.

(Also, if you get so choked up by this story that you want to donate a few bucks to charity, his family requests that you donate to the Rizzo Family Foundation. Anthony Rizzo is a cancer survivor, and his foundation raises money for cancer research. It's not shady like the Clinton or Trump foundations.)

Awesome post!
1 x
Win it for Fred

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:16 pm

I also wandered away from NSBB awhile back as life got in the way. I'm very, very sorry to hear this. Fred was much appreciated in the game threads and elsewhere on the forum. RIP and my best to his family. I'm thinking of him today, as well as all my late family members who would have so wanted to witness this day with us.

--Tom
2 x
Do you wanna party? IT'S PARTY TIME!!

Coach C
5-Time All-Star

Postby Coach C » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:14 am

Really wished he could have seen this in person. But I know he is seeing it somewhere.

For Fred.

*Raises a cold one*
8 x

CubmanPi
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubmanPi » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:32 pm

I was too exhausted last night to feel anything other than "OMG OMG OMG THAT JUST HORSEFEATHERING HAPPENED PMG OMG OMG"

Everything is sinking in this morning. I've never experienced this mix of laughter and tears before. All I want to do right now is call Fred. I didn't want to have to experience this without him.
5 x
TOAD SUCK 4 EVER.

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:36 pm

0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:57 pm

CubmanPi wrote:I was too exhausted last night to feel anything other than "OMG OMG OMG THAT JUST HORSEFEATHERING HAPPENED PMG OMG OMG"

Everything is sinking in this morning. I've never experienced this mix of laughter and tears before. All I want to do right now is call Fred. I didn't want to have to experience this without him.

You did experience this with him my friend, you did.
2 x
Win it for Fred

CubmanPi
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubmanPi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:03 pm

I've been waiting all week for the playoffs to start, and now that it's gameday, suddenly all I can think about is wishing Fred were still around for all this. I went back through this thread and read everything you guys put up here. Thanks again to everyone who posted.

All the grownups from my childhood proved to be just regular people with regular flaws, who created some form of letdown as I lost my innocence and began to grasp what it means to be human. Fred was always different. The Fred I remember as a kindergartner turned out to be the same person, all the way until last September, and the same person everyone here knew. In the year since then, it's been dawning on me how unique that is.
11 x
TOAD SUCK 4 EVER.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:13 pm

TOAD SUCK 4 EVER.

Alright, so the Cubs won it in terrifying, dramatic fashion last year for Fred. Now they'll do it with a cakewalk for him.
1 x

CubmanPi
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubmanPi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:TOAD SUCK 4 EVER.

Yoink.
1 x
TOAD SUCK 4 EVER.

Return to “Social”