Fred Hornkohl (1951-2016): Donations to Rizzo Family Foundation

Banedon
Curse You!

Re: Fred Hornkohl (1951-2016): Donations to Rizzo Family Foundation

Postby Banedon » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:02 pm

I met some NSBB folks once, many many moons ago at a Peoria Chiefs game I think. And I really don't even remember who all was there. I don't think Fred was one, but I can't be sure.
0 x

bd811
All-Star

Postby bd811 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:24 pm

RIP Fred.

I don't post quite as often as many of you, and I can't say if I ever directly interacted with Fred on this board. That said, I've been hanging around this place since the beginning, and I always enjoyed reading his "useless stats." It seemed like anytime someone wondered aloud in a game thread "when is the last time X happened," Fred's reply was nearly instantaneous. His absence this year has definitely been felt. He was such a warm (and constant) presence in this community.

It was apparent just from reading his posts what a kind and unique individual he was, but everyone's stories of their encounters with him really drive that point home. There's very few people in the world like that. It's not right that he isn't going to be here in October, posting his useless facts and dropping the hammer on Cardinal fan trolls.

Condolences to CubManPi and all of Fred's family, as well as all of you here that were fortunate enough to meet him.

Go CUBS !!
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:30 pm

David wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy's Boombox wrote:This thread is making me want to meet up pre game with anybody who will be down by Wrigley before Games 1 and/or 2 of the NLDS. Like I said before in this thread, Fred is the only one of you I've ever met, and that was a pleasant experience. Of course, from what I can tell I've already met the best one of us all.

Yeah you don't want to meet us jerks. It will sour your impression of the board as a whole. Fred was one of a kind.

damn you sound like a blast

i've met soccer and ssr. they were righteous dudes. never fred, tho.

I'm kidding I've met at least a half dozen of you to glowing reviews
1 x
Win it for Fred

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:37 pm

CubmanPi wrote:Just in case anyone is interested, this Thursday from 3-9 pm are visiting hours at the Willow Funeral Home in Algonquin, memorial service at 7. Definitely no pressure or expectation, but anyone who is so inclined is more than welcome to show. If you do plan to come, please post here or PM me.

I wish I could. I will stop and say a prayer for his family during that time. Please pass along my condolences to the family.
1 x

CubmanPi
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubmanPi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:39 pm

vance_the_cubs_fan wrote:
CubmanPi wrote:Just in case anyone is interested, this Thursday from 3-9 pm are visiting hours at the Willow Funeral Home in Algonquin, memorial service at 7. Definitely no pressure or expectation, but anyone who is so inclined is more than welcome to show. If you do plan to come, please post here or PM me.

I wish I could. I will stop and say a prayer for his family during that time. Please pass along my condolences to the family.

Will do, thank you. And thanks for sharing your stories and memories.
0 x
TOAD SUCK 4 EVER.

Schwarber Fan
Hall of Fame

Postby Schwarber Fan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:43 pm

As posters have come and gone (and changed names) since I joined in 2005, Fred was always there, being his consistent, steady self. Keeping everyone in line, providing play by play in game threads for those who needed it (and those who didn't), making awful puns, and always reporting where he was stopped in this "beautiful !!" country of ours.

When the Cubs get that ring, Fred will be one of the first people that comes to my mind - a person who I never had the pleasure of actually meeting. That's how much Fred meant to NSBB. Rest in peace, Fred. Tonight's win is for you.
4 x
The original Aramis Fan. Responsible for the revelation of Hector Rondon.

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:49 pm

I've only made on trip to Chicago for Cubs Convention. I think it was 2006 or 2007. Frankly, I can't remember. But Fred and I went to all the sessions together.

One really neat story, was Fred as we know was a big Santo fan. It always pissed Fred off that they made Santo wait so long to get in the Hall. Anyway, one game I went with Fred and we sat in the uppper deck. Stairs and Fred never got along, so we were waiting to take the elevator. It was almost our turn when security stopped us because they were holding the elevator for Santo. Well, when Santo got on and saw us waiting he said arent you going down too? So he made security let us on and Fred and I had a short conversation with him. Fred enjoyed that.
11 x

Sosa21MVP
5-Time All-Star

Postby Sosa21MVP » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:54 pm

RIP Fred. :(
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:09 am

This thread really brings into perspective what a family we have here at NSBB. There's lots of bickering and ball busting here, but in the end, many of us have "known" each other for over a freaking decade. I don't know what most of your opinions are of me, but I would definitely go out of my way to help any of you guys if you needed it. I consider all of you longtime guys to be legitimate good friends of mine despite never having met any of you.

I feel like we are a big family and we've just lost one of our family patriarchs. Tim is the father. Fred was the grandfather. At least that's how I see it.
6 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:15 am

Banedon wrote:I met some NSBB folks once, many many moons ago at a Peoria Chiefs game I think. And I really don't even remember who all was there. I don't think Fred was one, but I can't be sure.

Was it with Laura and I where I made the donation to the Katrina relief fund in NSBB MLPOY Eric Patterson's name?

:D
0 x
Spoiler: show

fiver
All-Star

Postby fiver » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:41 am

I don't post often and even less the last few years, but i just now found this thread. As others mentioned, it did cross my mind a couple months ago that Fred must be ill to not be in the game thread.

Fred was a reliable presence most notably in the dark days, and I'll miss his useless stats and his 'greetings from....' posts. I never met him, but he always seemed to be a really good guy, and the stories from those who did meet him put a smile on my face.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing, and I like Tim's idea of making him a World Series game thread starter.
2 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:49 am

vance_the_cubs_fan wrote:I'm still in shock over this. Fred was one of the many Cub fans I met through this board and we developed quite a friendship. After a trip to Chicago in 2005, I never attended a Cubs game in Chicago where Fred wasn't there for at least one of the games. If I gave him enough warning, he would arrange his schedule to be in town if I was coming. We explored the city together. If he trucked his way through Monroe, he would stop and I would take him to my house where we might watch football or then take him to our local eateries. He watched the game with me in Texas as we saw Sosa, then a Ranger, hit his 600th homerun.

It was always a random moment when my phone would ring and he would call. Addie even called him Uncle Fred. A few years ago, she asked me was he really her uncle.

I will remember our late night talks. Cubs games could end at 4, but we would sit somewhere and eat and talk for hours. It had been awhile since I heard from him, but I was hoping to see him soon.

I'm going to miss him.

RIP Good Friend.

I knew you and Fred became pretty good friends outside of here. And these are some cool stories. Sorry for your loss.
0 x

NotSoSober
All-Star

Postby NotSoSober » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:49 am

Damn, just now seeing this. Never met Fred but this still saddens me. He seemed like a genuine great guy. RIP
0 x

mdwilla
Starter

Postby mdwilla » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:02 am

Fred will be dearly missed. I went to a few games with Fred over the years and enjoyed every minute of it. Trying to explain to my dad ten years ago that I knew Fred from Cubs.com and northside was comical, I saw Fred in the bleachers a few years ago while I was on a date and he was proud to see I was now using the internet to meet women, not just old guys with beards who love Cubs baseball too.
6 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:05 am

RIP Fred. He was a straight shooter, above the fray. Enjoy one with Ronnie!
1 x

DonnieD
Role Player

Postby DonnieD » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:09 am

vance_the_cubs_fan wrote:I've only made on trip to Chicago for Cubs Convention. I think it was 2006 or 2007. Frankly, I can't remember. But Fred and I went to all the sessions together.

One really neat story, was Fred as we know was a big Santo fan. It always pissed Fred off that they made Santo wait so long to get in the Hall. Anyway, one game I went with Fred and we sat in the uppper deck. Stairs and Fred never got along, so we were waiting to take the elevator. It was almost our turn when security stopped us because they were holding the elevator for Santo. Well, when Santo got on and saw us waiting he said arent you going down too? So he made security let us on and Fred and I had a short conversation with him. Fred enjoyed that.

I haven't been on the last couple of days so I just saw this thread. I've just finished reading the whole thing and have been wiping tears the whole time.

I was lucky enough to meet Fred (and you Vance) at that Cubs Convention. I'll just echo what so many others have said and what is so evident in this thread, that one brief encounter was enough to confirm that Fred was both kind and funny. He was a stalwart for this team and this site and I've enjoyed his contributions immensely over the years. My condolences to the Hornkohl family.

RIP Fred
2 x
"WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:12 am

This is so, so sad. My condolences, cubmanpi. He'll be missed here. A lot. I wish he coulda stuck around to see what happens with this team. Hope you and your family are well.
1 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:15 am

a couple of random things i came across on facebook about fred:

I lost a great friend yesterday Fred Hornkohl was one of the first men I meet driving for Werner enterprises back in 2000 we both drove a route for Sears from granite city to bollingbrook every day Fred helped me through the death of my wife and all the things that went with that. Never judging anything I said or did .I was so broken up to hear that Fred was gone this morning hell he didn't even get to see his beloved Cubbies make to the world series . He'll just have to watch from heaven
My truckin buddy I'll forever miss you
Prayers to his wife April and all his family. KEEP ON TRUCKIN
7 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:21 am

Damn. Just saw the news on Twitter. I never got to meet Fred but always enjoyed his posts on the game threads in years past. I haven't been on them as much lately but I did notice his absence. Hate to hear the reason why. Thoughts and prayers to his family & friends.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:25 am

Back in the deep, dark Hendry days, it was always a sure bet that the game threads would be 10x more interesting than the game itself, mostly because of Fred's understated, dry way of just finding numbers to compare one of Dusty's/Lou's horsefeathers -ups to something Durocher tried once.

His take down of Roast was epic, and he was low-key one of the funnier posters here.

RIP
2 x

hawkeyecub
5-Time All-Star

Postby hawkeyecub » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:44 am

What a good man and kind soul who clearly impacted countless people. Some great stories that really reinforce the kind of person he always seemed to be. Condolences to his family and all of you who knew him well. He'll be greatly missed and it's fitting that the game thread forum has been renamed.

Thanks to Tim and everyone like Fred who have made this site a fun and informative community and huge part of my Cubs fandom over the last 13 years.
2 x

manbearcub
All-Star

Postby manbearcub » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:36 am

Just heard Len share the news and had to stop by to give my respects. Great Cubs fan and by all accounts a great guy although I never had a chance to meet him.

RIP Fred.
1 x
GFY PITCH TRAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wilson A2000
5-Time All-Star

Postby Wilson A2000 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:39 am

Just heard the news from Len during the game. My condolences to his family and friends.
1 x

Airmandave
Role Player

Postby Airmandave » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:41 am

10 x

burnt out cubbie fan
5-Time All-Star

Postby burnt out cubbie fan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:41 am

I just heard Len say that Fred passed at the end of the Cubs game and my heart sank. He was such a pleasant and friendly guy when we met up with a couple others for a game about 10 years ago. I feel for his family, losing someone that quickly is such a shock.
2 x
*insert witty comment here*

Return to “Social”