Golf thread

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Re: Golf thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:51 pm

Took nephew for his first 9-hole today. I was exhausted after playing yesterday and was a general travesty.

He steps up to the red tee box on the first hole, 100 yards out. Drills his three wood to a yard shot of the green. Chipped on and missed his par putt by an inch. Bogeyed his next hole too.

He had some bad holes too, but dang that kid has talent.

Edit to add, here’s where he put that first shot from 100 yards:

Here’s how close he came to par on his first hole

Last edited by Hairyducked Idiot on Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
5 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:04 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Took nephew for his first 9-hole today. I was exhausted after playing yesterday and was a general travesty.

He steps up to the red tee box on the first hole, 100 yards out. Drills his three wood to a yard shot of the green on a front hole placement. Chipped on and missed his par putt by an inch. Bogeyed his next hole too.

He had some bad holes too, but dang that kid has talent.

That's legit impressive.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:00 am

15 minutes from me and I can't go watch. [expletive].

https://golf.com/news/tiger-woods-jt-ro ... ity-match/

Tiger Woods, Justin Thomas, Rory McIlroy and Justin Rose announced they will take part in the “Payne’s Valley Cup” to benefit the Payne Stewart Family Foundation. The charity event will be played the Tuesday after the U.S. Open and will showcase the Tiger-designed Payne’s Valley golf course.

If any of you are ever in the Branson area I can't recommend Buffalo Ridge, Ozarks National or Payne's Valley enough. They're legit world class courses and among the prettiest you'll ever see.
1 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:33 am

NonProfitCow wrote:15 minutes from me and I can't go watch. [expletive].

https://golf.com/news/tiger-woods-jt-ro ... ity-match/

Tiger Woods, Justin Thomas, Rory McIlroy and Justin Rose announced they will take part in the “Payne’s Valley Cup” to benefit the Payne Stewart Family Foundation. The charity event will be played the Tuesday after the U.S. Open and will showcase the Tiger-designed Payne’s Valley golf course.

If any of you are ever in the Branson area I can't recommend Buffalo Ridge, Ozarks National or Payne's Valley enough. They're legit world class courses and among the prettiest you'll ever see.

2nd the bold. Ozarks was amazing. I didn't get the chance to play the other 2 when I lived in Arkansas, but I'll have to try to fit those in the next time I go visit.

That would be an awesome event to go watch in person just to say you were there (similar to a majors or the 16th hole at waste management open), but I rather watch it on TV.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:53 pm

47 (+18) for me today back at the 9-hole course near me, four shots better than last time. Tried to pull driver on the two par-4s, both went about 30 yards. First one popped straight up, second one topped hard and left. At least after the second one (after chipping an iron out of the deep-ish rough and back into play) I hit a beautiful 190-yard 5-hybrid that stopped just short of the green. If I try to do a correct swing with the hybrid I can’t hit it, but if I do this weird rockback and let my weight follow through like a hockey shot, I can drill it. It's the only club that works for, and it won't work any other way.

I hit real tee shots on the six of the seven par 3s. Three greens hit, three missed by small-ish amounts. That's a big improvement. I hit a lot of fantastic chip shots and a lot of terrible putts. I can't read the greens at all. Every little 4-footer has some weird wobble or bend at the last minute that I didn't see coming.

+11 on the 7 par 3s and +7 on the two par-4s. Both par-4s are ridiculously generous, with wide fairways and huge light rough areas out to the right to catch all the beginner slices. If I could just make real contact on the drives and stop 4-putting twice a day, that's 7 shots right there.
Last edited by Hairyducked Idiot on Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:46 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:47 (+18) for me today back at the 9-hole course near me, four shots better than last time. Tried to pull driver on the two par-4s, both went about 30 yards. First one popped straight up, second one topped hard and left. At least after the second one (after chipping an iron out of the deep-ish rough and back into play) I hit a beautiful 190-yard 5-hybrid that stopped just short of the green. If I try to do a correct swing with the hybrid, but if I do this weird rockback and let me weight follow through like a hockey shot, I can drill it. It's the only club that works for, and it won't work any other way.

I hit real tee shots on the six of the seven par 3s. Three greens hit, three missed by small-ish amounts. That's a big improvement. I hit a lot of fantastic chip shots and a lot of terrible putts. I can't read the greens at all. Every little 4-footer has some weird wobble or bend at the last minute that I didn't see coming.

+11 on the 7 par 3s and +7 on the two par-4s. Both par-4s are ridiculously generous, with wide fairways and huge light rough areas out to the right to catch all the beginner slices. If I could just make real contact on the drives and stop 4-putting twice a day, that's 7 shots right there.

It's fun how you can hit a perfect drive then step to the next tee, do the exact same thing, and hit a complete clunker! You're in good company!
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:04 pm

Build one of these things then post video Kyle

1 x
Screw Pitchers

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:19 pm

Playing from 11 to 3 today, hungover with 4 hours of sleep, when it is cartpath only in the Ozark Mountains with 70% humidity and no breeze was not my smartest choice.
2 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:07 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:Playing from 11 to 3 today, hungover with 4 hours of sleep, when it is cartpath only in the Ozark Mountains with 70% humidity and no breeze was not my smartest choice.

lol, dehydration central! Finally smoke cleared enough here to be able to get out again. I'm such a random mix of great and terrible shots.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:16 am

One of the benefits of being stuck at home during Covid is that I've had the chance to really work on approach shots from 100 yards in since I live on a farm and have that kind of room. I've been playing the best golf of my life. I broke 80 for the first time since I started playing again ( 4 years ago). I also tied my 2nd best 9 with a 2 over 38.

The down side is that golf season ( I started coaching the JV golf team last fall) got cancelled with all the rest of the fall sports in Maryland. Too bad since we were going to have a really good team. We were only going to have 2 seniors so there's still time for the rest of them but it still sucks.

In other golf news, how do people feel about the new world golf handicap system? The calculation, as far as I can tell since I've read/heard conflicting things, is based on an average of your 8 best (or 10, I've heard both) scores out of your last 20. Subtract the par of the course you normally play and that is your handicap index. Each course would then have its own handicap based on the slope rating. The net affect being that your index will probably be a little lower than your handicap was but on a given course you would be playing to a higher handicap on a more difficult course.

Under this system, I'd be an 8 handicap on my home course when I was closer to 12 under the old system.
3 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:41 am

biittner77 wrote:One of the benefits of being stuck at home during Covid is that I've had the chance to really work on approach shots from 100 yards in since I live on a farm and have that kind of room. I've been playing the best golf of my life. I broke 80 for the first time since I started playing again ( 4 years ago). I also tied my 2nd best 9 with a 2 over 38.

The down side is that golf season ( I started coaching the JV golf team last fall) got cancelled with all the rest of the fall sports in Maryland. Too bad since we were going to have a really good team. We were only going to have 2 seniors so there's still time for the rest of them but it still sucks.

In other golf news, how do people feel about the new world golf handicap system? The calculation, as far as I can tell since I've read/heard conflicting things, is based on an average of your 8 best (or 10, I've heard both) scores out of your last 20. Subtract the par of the course you normally play and that is your handicap index. Each course would then have its own handicap based on the slope rating. The net affect being that your index will probably be a little lower than your handicap was but on a given course you would be playing to a higher handicap on a more difficult course.

Under this system, I'd be an 8 handicap on my home course when I was closer to 12 under the old system.

Congrats on breaking 80!

That sucks about your golf team. Esp for the 2 seniors. Interesting that your golf season is in the fall. It's in the spring for Indiana. We had 2 seniors who didn't get to play this spring although our golf team is just ok at the moment.

As far as of the new handicap system, It's based on your 8 best scores. IMO, you should take out your 4 best and 4 worse. Then average the remaining 12 rounds, subtract the par of your home course, etc... I feel like the new system brings everyone handicap down too much IMO compare to what they truly average. I'll def be paying attention to it more next season as I'll be going to quite a few different courses that are more difficult. This year I pretty much just stayed at my home course all season.

I'm a 0 handicap under this system instead of a 2-3 with the old.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:04 am

I don't know how official the app I'm using is, but my handicap through 36 holes of golf appears to be 52.
1 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:27 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I don't know how official the app I'm using is, but my handicap through 36 holes of golf appears to be 52.

Practice and maybe a short game lesson would bring that down to 20 in no time.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:36 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:
biittner77 wrote:One of the benefits of being stuck at home during Covid is that I've had the chance to really work on approach shots from 100 yards in since I live on a farm and have that kind of room. I've been playing the best golf of my life. I broke 80 for the first time since I started playing again ( 4 years ago). I also tied my 2nd best 9 with a 2 over 38.

Congrats on breaking 80!

That sucks about your golf team. Esp for the 2 seniors. Interesting that your golf season is in the fall. It's in the spring for Indiana. We had 2 seniors who didn't get to play this spring although our golf team is just ok at the moment.

As far as of the new handicap system, It's based on your 8 best scores. IMO, you should take out your 4 best and 4 worse. Then average the remaining 12 rounds, subtract the par of your home course, etc... I feel like the new system brings everyone handicap down too much IMO compare to what they truly average. I'll def be paying attention to it more next season as I'll be going to quite a few different courses that are more difficult. This year I pretty much just stayed at my home course all season.

The flaw I see in this system is that it places too much emphasis on how well you play at your home course since that's where most of your scores will come from for most people. I'd guess most people are 3-4 strokes better on their home course due to familiarity with the greens, how to avoid trouble and club selection on par 3s or less obvious par 4s.

As far as our golf season being in the fall, Delaware has their's in the spring too. I guess maybe courses are less busy in the fall than they would be in late spring making it easier for the courses to give up space for practice rounds.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:48 pm

biittner77 wrote:
Splendid Splinter wrote:

Congrats on breaking 80!

The flaw I see in this system is that it places too much emphasis on how well you play at your home course since that's where most of your scores will come from for most people. I'd guess most people are 3-4 strokes better on their home course due to familiarity with the greens, how to avoid trouble and club selection on par 3s or less obvious par 4s.

As far as our golf season being in the fall, Delaware has their's in the spring too. I guess maybe courses are less busy in the fall than they would be in late spring making it easier for the courses to give up space for practice rounds.

I've never looked too much into handicaps because it doesn't really matter to me, but I did observe that a course we recently played was rated much harder than a local course. This seemed to be based on yardage more than anything but the reality is the "harder" course has huge wide fairways and the "easier" one has much narrower fairways. The result for a not great golfer is that the longer, wider course is going to be quite a bit easier to score better. This didn't seem to be reflected in the rating or slope for the courses. Perhaps these just don't account for bad golfers?
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:42 am

I got some video of myself on the course and somewhere along the way I developed a massive reverse pivot. I didn't even realize I was doing it, but after every swing all my weight would be on my back foot. I'd lift my front foot and fall backwards. It was darn near a full Jordan fadeaway.

What seems to be helping for now is 1) putting my weight a little more on my front foot rather than balanced in address 2) making the first move of my downswing be rolling my back foot to the inside, almost like getting on my inside edge in hockey skates.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:54 pm

Continuing to get better bit by bit. I've gone from 51 to 47 to this morning 45 on that par-29 9-hole course. I managed double or better on every hole until the 9th, where I took a disappointing triple thanks to a badly bladed chip.

1) I hit zero greens in regulation, but I was very close most of the time, lots of short chip-ons. Then it was a matter of whether I two-putted for bogey or three-putted for double. I had three different par putts come to rest hanging over the edge but not drop. I was tempted to blow on them.

2) I managed a 5 and a 6 on the par-4s, which had been my nemeses. I still don't trust the driver, but I went easy hybrid-iron-chip to reach the green for both of them.

3) I got it down to 23 (edit: 22) putts, which isn't great but it's an improvement for me. And that's with literally five coming to a stop on the edge without dropping. No four-putts.

4) I drilled one straight into the creek that you're supposed to clear, hit a rock, popped up, landed just off the green 12 feet from the hole.
Last edited by Hairyducked Idiot on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:59 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Continuing to get better bit by bit. I've gone from 51 to 47 to this morning 45 on that par-29 9-hole course. I managed double or better on every hole until the 9th, where I took a disappointing triple thanks to a badly bladed chip.

1) I hit zero greens in regulation, but I was very close most of the time, lots of short chip-ons. Then it was a matter of whether I two-putted for bogey or three-putted for double. I had three different par putts come to rest hanging over the edge but not drop. I was tempted to blow on them.

2) I managed a 5 and a 6 on the par-4s, which had been my nemeses. I still don't trust the driver, but I went easy hybrid-iron-chip to reach the green for both of them.

3) I got it down to 23 putts, which isn't great but it's an improvement for me. And that's with literally five coming to a stop on the edge without dropping. No four-putts.

4) I drilled one straight into the creek that you're supposed to clear, hit a rock, popped up, landed just off the green 12 feet from the hole.

Nice! I have been tracking these stats - shots over par per hole - my goal being to get to bogey golf. It's a nice number to see dropping and it helps even out if you play different courses. Disaster holes - three or more over. Finally, my last metric is bogey or better percentage.

On 4 - take the good luck with a smile as you'll have plenty of bad luck also.
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:39 pm

According to my score keeping app, that 45 was a net six-under 23 with my handicap strokes
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:11 pm

In case you're wondering how your handicap stacks up against EVERYONE that has a handicap in the US.

https://golf.com/news/how-your-handicap ... pares/amp/
1 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:16 pm

Splendid Splinter wrote:In case you're wondering how your handicap stacks up against EVERYONE that has a handicap in the US.

https://golf.com/news/how-your-handicap ... pares/amp/

I'm guessing registered handicaps are very high end biased.
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:08 pm

Another 9 holes with nephew tomorrow and I am cursed with Expectations because my range sessions lately have been amazing by my standards. I am going to be legit disappointed when my score doesn’t reflect it.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:55 pm

43 today, continuing to gain on it. My irons were perfect in warmups and for the first three holes, then kind of fell apart on me. Chips were mostly good but I had two get away from me, one on a tough downhill lie and the other I thought I hit perfect but the green was fast and downhill and it just never stopped even as I was celebrating.

Putting was finally acceptable. 17 putts on 9 holes, one three-putt. Hit almost all of my 3-7 footers. Two things have helped me there: setting the line on ball with the line i want to putt, and having the ball a little forward in the stance to get a smoother roll.

Finally hit a real drive on one of the par 4s, 190 yards on the fairway. Got the distance right on the approach but about 5 yards right of the green. Of course there was one random lone tree there and I was directly behind it with no angle to get to the green. I chipped onto the apron, then up toward the hole, then putted in for a decent 5.

My handicap remains so high that my +14 was good for a net -8, including starting off with back to back net 1
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:03 pm

This game is so stupid. I played a really horsefeathers round today and somehow had 4 birdies.
2 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:24 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:This game is so stupid. I played a really horsefeathers round today and somehow had 4 birdies.

the old 8-8-3-8-3-3-6-3?
1 x

Return to “Other Sports”