Bears off-season thread (Pace/Nagy FIRED!)

mias_tisg
Starter

Re: Bears off-season thread (Pace/Nagy FIRED!)

Postby mias_tisg » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:05 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:He's gotta be a McCaskey mouthpiece. Thats why he'll also trash them, trying to keep us off the scent.

He was trashing Olin Kreutz the day before McCaskey did
0 x

mias_tisg
Starter

Postby mias_tisg » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:06 pm

I'm not all-in on Flores but I'm really scared this ends up with Leslie Frazier. I want an offensive guy.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:15 pm

rawaction wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:Flores is not someone I would have thought would be available, nor did I think he would be a great choice when he did become available. However, I didnt realize his last two season have been 10-6 and 9-7. I'm really warming up to him, but how he would deal with Fields is my #1 concern.

Ideally, he wouldn't deal with Fields too much. Hire a good OC and let them run the offense and stay out of the way/lead the rest of the team.

that's exactly what I'm referring to, WHO would be the OC? In some cases, that becomes a harder question to answer than HC, particularity in Flores case
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:30 pm

mias_tisg wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:He's gotta be a McCaskey mouthpiece. Thats why he'll also trash them, trying to keep us off the scent.

He was trashing Olin Kreutz the day before McCaskey did

Honestly impressed if McCaskeys created a compelling and effective psyop. Now how is their PR so terrible.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:45 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
rawaction wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:Flores is not someone I would have thought would be available, nor did I think he would be a great choice when he did become available. However, I didnt realize his last two season have been 10-6 and 9-7. I'm really warming up to him, but how he would deal with Fields is my #1 concern.

Ideally, he wouldn't deal with Fields too much. Hire a good OC and let them run the offense and stay out of the way/lead the rest of the team.

that's exactly what I'm referring to, WHO would be the OC? In some cases, that becomes a harder question to answer than HC, particularity in Flores case

Post above yours is exactly who I was thinking. Pep Hamilton. Sounds like they may be a package deal. Houston doesn't want to lose Pep though.
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:23 pm

more jeff confirmation
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:37 pm

https://theathletic.com/3069761/2022/01 ... ed-article

This is a long article. Only part way through..
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:27 pm

Seems to matchup with what Nick Foles has been saying for 2 years, on or off the sidelines. Also, think Dalton and Fields have definitely expressed some level of frustration with things clearly not working on offense.
0 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:44 pm

rawaction wrote:Seems to matchup with what Nick Foles has been saying for 2 years, on or off the sidelines. Also, think Dalton and Fields have definitely expressed some level of frustration with things clearly not working on offense.

I seem to remember a game where it sure looked like Foles said horsefeathers it and just started running his own offense through pre-snap calls. Or maybe it was the time they were driving in the hurry up and Nagy called timeout and completely upended the momentum.

The guy was a terrible coach.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:51 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:https://twitter.com/79illwill/status/1481993282724843522?t=WOnLXneZ1bb6ifRZV4PLKQ&s=19

Thanks for sharing. Interesting to read about some of the stuff we've wondered about for years. What a disaster organization lol.

That said all it takes is the right hires at GM and coach and a lot of the issues are irrelevant
0 x
Win it for Fred

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:01 pm

What do you think is more likely to happen?

Pace gets a pro personnel gig and recommends bringing in Nagy as an offensive assistant.
Pace gets a pro personnel gig and signs Trubisky as the backup QB.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

gflore34
5-Time All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:11 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:https://twitter.com/79illwill/status/1481993282724843522?t=WOnLXneZ1bb6ifRZV4PLKQ&s=19

Thanks for sharing. Interesting to read about some of the stuff we've wondered about for years. What a disaster organization lol.

That said all it takes is the right hires at GM and coach and a lot of the issues are irrelevant

Nagy is/was obviously terrible, there must have been some evidence of his deficiencies prior to hire? No? Really, does lend credence to the belief that Nagy was brilliant in the interview room but, unfortunately, not so much where it really counted - in the football room. If so much weight is put on the interview as opposed to the body of work I do not know if they'll get it correct. Why can't McCaskey just be removed from the equation?
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:17 pm

Soul wrote:
rawaction wrote:Seems to matchup with what Nick Foles has been saying for 2 years, on or off the sidelines. Also, think Dalton and Fields have definitely expressed some level of frustration with things clearly not working on offense.

I seem to remember a game where it sure looked like Foles said horsefeathers it and just started running his own offense through pre-snap calls. Or maybe it was the time they were driving in the hurry up and Nagy called timeout and completely upended the momentum.

The guy was a terrible coach.

Yeah, I see this more as him being a terrible coach, not a terrible person. I'm sure this stuff happens in an NFL lockerroom. Guys get frustrated and called out. Standing Mitch up is BS, but I have no problem calling him out. Sounds like he called out other players too. I wouldn't say team chemistry or willingness to play for Nagy was an issue.
2 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:17 pm

gflore34 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Nagy is/was obviously terrible, there must have been some evidence of his deficiencies prior to hire? No? Really, does lend credence to the belief that Nagy was brilliant in the interview room but, unfortunately, not so much where it really counted - in the football room. If so much weight is put on the interview as opposed to the body of work I do not know if they'll get it correct. Why can't McCaskey just be removed from the equation?

nagy had just presided over an offense wherein the chiefs were one of the best deep ball throwing (or best?) teams in the league with alex smith and got nothing but praise heaped on him by andy reid. he said he'd never had a better head coaching candidate on one of his staffs.

the biggest on field red flag would've been the chiefs playoff game. but andy took the bullet for him on that one, IIRC. it was unclear when reid had him calling plays and when he called them himself that season.

but he was one of the hottest young candidates around.
0 x

abmillis
All-Star

Postby abmillis » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:48 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:What do you think is more likely to happen?

Pace gets a pro personnel gig and recommends bringing in Nagy as an offensive assistant.

Gotta be the second one... I think even Pace knows you just can't hire Nagy right now as any more than like an analyst. Dude was an offensive coach whose offense sucked repeatedly.
1 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:25 pm

David wrote:
gflore34 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

nagy had just presided over an offense wherein the chiefs were one of the best deep ball throwing (or best?) teams in the league with alex smith and got nothing but praise heaped on him by andy reid. he said he'd never had a better head coaching candidate on one of his staffs.

the biggest on field red flag would've been the chiefs playoff game. but andy took the bullet for him on that one, IIRC. it was unclear when reid had him calling plays and when he called them himself that season.

Really makes me wonder how the Bears can parse out the "hot" candidates - which are many - and the future successful ones. There's got to be more than luck involved. Otherwise it kind of sucks, knowing that we keep rolling the dice over & over hoping not to crap out again.

I mean we hired Nagy from one of the respected coaching trees in the NFL, he came from an offensive background, a lot of experience with quarterbacks, and like you said it was thought to be a solid hire at the time. And the first year looked good too. Maybe it's that he only had 1 year at the OC level, and needed more time before making the jump to HC. I don't know.

In the end he wound being dog ugly terrible. But I could never have pegged that on day 1.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:43 pm

Some reports out there from both a Browns and Bears source (our buddy Jeff) that the Bears were really impressed with Glenn Cook

Interesting connection - he actually played for the Cubs rookie ball team awhile back.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... ok--003gle
1 x
Win it for Fred

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:28 pm

Soul wrote:
David wrote:
gflore34 wrote:

Really makes me wonder how the Bears can parse out the "hot" candidates - which are many - and the future successful ones. There's got to be more than luck involved. Otherwise it kind of sucks, knowing that we keep rolling the dice over & over hoping not to crap out again.

I mean we hired Nagy from one of the respected coaching trees in the NFL, he came from an offensive background, a lot of experience with quarterbacks, and like you said it was thought to be a solid hire at the time. And the first year looked good too. Maybe it's that he only had 1 year at the OC level, and needed more time before making the jump to HC. I don't know.

In the end he wound being dog ugly terrible. But I could never have pegged that on day 1.

Its a weird one because they had a search seemingly focused on one thing (maximizing offense) and that aspect failed miserably, yet the leadership thing was at least decent and now thats the apparent focus of this search. From an approach standpoint, even without the benefit of hindisght, we took a guy with one year as OC to his resume to be the offensive guru though. Probably should have been questioned more at the time.

LaFluer wasn't much more experienced, but also got the benefit of a HOF QB. But that aside the other thing was a varied coaching experience. While he is a definite "McVay tree" guy, even he had some additional exposure. Nagy literally only has served under one HC. Even it being a great one like Reid, it just seems like a risky aspect to his experience.

TLDR it is a roll of the dice. At least it's a wide net and they're not excluding half the coaches in the league this time. But also with a wide net you might risk info overload. You're still suspect to getting wooed in an interview setting that isn't reality.
1 x

BigSlick
Superstar

Postby BigSlick » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:20 pm

Man, that article makes me feel so bad for Trubisky. Not that I think Trubisky had what it took to be a star QB in the NFL, but he sure was trying hard and left out to dry.
0 x
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

mias_tisg
Starter

Postby mias_tisg » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:22 am

UMFan83 wrote:Some reports out there from both a Browns and Bears source (our buddy Jeff) that the Bears were really impressed with Glenn Cook

Interesting connection - he actually played for the Cubs rookie ball team awhile back.

I think this is my favorite candidate so far. I'm iffy on Rick Smith and really don't want Ireland. I'm cool with taking a risk on someone from a successful organization like the Browns (that's weird to say)
0 x

mias_tisg
Starter

Postby mias_tisg » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:24 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:What do you think is more likely to happen?

Nagy needs to go the college route IMO. I think he'd be a good college coach.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:20 am

mias_tisg wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Some reports out there from both a Browns and Bears source (our buddy Jeff) that the Bears were really impressed with Glenn Cook

I think this is my favorite candidate so far. I'm iffy on Rick Smith and really don't want Ireland. I'm cool with taking a risk on someone from a successful organization like the Browns (that's weird to say)

One person's opinion on Cook:

And some more info the Asst GM hiring rules
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:41 am

0 x
Win it for Fred

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:19 pm

I had no idea that even as far back as Angelo's hiring they used an outside firm to assist in the search.

Are we the only team that does this?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:50 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I had no idea that even as far back as Angelo's hiring they used an outside firm to assist in the search.

Are we the only team that does this?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Some do yea. I wanna say Carolina did. Maybe NYG or NYJ had used Accorsi. I'm sure there's more but the NFL recommends certain guys for it.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”