College Football - Championship Week

Andy
Hall of Fame

College Football - Championship Week

Postby Andy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:03 pm

MAC Championship Game in Detroit (7 pm Friday, ESPN2)
(17) Western Michigan vs Ohio

Pac-12 Championship Game in Santa Clara, CA (9:30 pm Friday, FOX)
(4) Washington vs (8) Colorado

American Championship Game (12 pm, ABC)
Temple at (19) Navy

Conference USA Championship Game (12 pm, ESPN)
Louisiana Tech at Western Kentucky

SEC Championship Game in Atlanta (4 pm, CBS)
(1) Alabama vs (15) Florida

Mountain West Championship Game (7:45 pm, ESPN)
San Diego State at Wyoming

ACC Championship Game in Orlando (8 pm, ABC)
(3) Clemson vs (23) Virginia Tech

Big Ten Championship Game in Indianapolis (8 pm, FOX)
(7) Penn State vs (6) Wisconsin

Top 25 games
------------------------------
(10) Oklahoma State at (9) Oklahoma (12:30 pm, FOX)
Baylor at (16) West Virginia (3:30 pm, FS1)

Other nationally available games
---------------------------------------------------
Troy at Georgia Southern (12 pm, ESPN2)
Kansas State at TCU (12 pm, FS1)
New Mexico State at South Alabama (1 pm, ESPN3)
UL Lafayette at UL Monroe (3 pm, ESPN3)
Georgia State at Idaho (5 pm, ESPN3)
Arkansas State at Texas State (7:30 pm, ESPN2)

Dec. 10
Army vs (19) Navy - in Baltimore (3 pm, CBS)
Last edited by Andy on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Re: College Football - Championship Week

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:05 am

Bama didn't give up a TD the entire month of November. They played LSU, Auburn, and Mississippi State that month. They've given up 8 TD's all year (5 to my pitiful non-bowling Rebels)
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:56 am

wonder if Derek Mason was happy that he beat Tennessee?

0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:49 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Bama didn't give up a TD the entire month of November. They played LSU, Auburn, and Mississippi State that month. They've given up 8 TD's all year (5 to my pitiful non-bowling Rebels)

0 x
I like beer.

philosophizer75
All-Star

Postby philosophizer75 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:09 pm

I think that regardless of what happens, Bama and Ohio State are locks to get into the playoff.

I think that if Clemson and Washington win, they're in.

If Colorado beats Washington, I bet they take the 4th spot. The Pac-12 didn't have a team in the playoff last year, and I bet the committee wants to keep it from being two years in a row.

If Clemson loses, I think the winner of Oklahoma-Oklahoma State takes their spot.

I think Michigan is horsefeathers out of luck, because even if both Clemson and Washington lose, and even if they don't bump Colorado in at that point, I have to imagine the Big Ten champ will have more stock than Michigan.
0 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:23 pm

mul21 wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:Bama didn't give up a TD the entire month of November. They played LSU, Auburn, and Mississippi State that month. They've given up 8 TD's all year (5 to my pitiful non-bowling Rebels)

Well, Danny, touchdowns can be scored on the ground too. Auburn, LSU, and State's rushing offenses are ranked 6th, 20th, and 22nd, respectively. The fact that Bama hasn't allowed a single play to be run against them within their 10 yard line in 17 quarters is insane.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:48 pm

philosophizer75 wrote:I think that regardless of what happens, Bama and Ohio State are locks to get into the playoff.

If Colorado beats Washington, I bet they take the 4th spot. The Pac-12 didn't have a team in the playoff last year, and I bet the committee wants to keep it from being two years in a row.

If Clemson loses, I think the winner of Oklahoma-Oklahoma State takes their spot.

I think Michigan is horsefeathers out of luck, because even if both Clemson and Washington lose, and even if they don't bump Colorado in at that point, I have to imagine the Big Ten champ will have more stock than Michigan.

funny too, because whoever makes it in there (B1G champ / Colorado) will be somebody we beat cleanly
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:50 pm

philosophizer75 wrote:I think that regardless of what happens, Bama and Ohio State are locks to get into the playoff.

Especially if it's Wisconsin, who played UM very close on the road. Penn State would be a harder sell because of 49-10.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:30 pm

Its a really really interesting position for Michigan. If Colorado wins, the 3 teams immediately behind Michigan for the 4 spot are 3 teams that Michigan already beat this year (well technically 2 since one of them will lose). Can you allow one of those teams to jump Michigan? FSU did just jump ahead of Louisville even though Louisville destroyed them this year so their is precedent to ignore H2H results.

Then you factor in: will the committee really select 2 teams from the same conference for the first time, and have neither of those teams win their conference division much less title? Wisconsin and PSU would be 2-2 against Top 25 teams (UW: wins over #21 LSU and ~top 10 PSU, PSU: wins over #2 OSU and ~Top 10 Wisc). That doesn't beat Michigan's resume which is 3-1 against Top 10 teams. Can either really jump Michigan?

If the committee wants to go a different route, which way do they go? Colorado with their 2 Top 25 wins and loss to Michigan? Oklahoma/OSU winner? OU would have that same 2-2 mark against Top 25 teams and the same overall record as UM. OSU would be 3-0 against Top 25 (thanks to Pitt sneaking in at #25) but 2 terrible losses to Central Michigan and Baylor.

So you are looking at UM, Big Ten Winner, Colorado, OSU/OK winner (assuming UW would be out with a loss since committee already sees them as virtually even with Michigan). Michigan trumps 2 of those theoretically and the OSU/OK winner probably doesn't have a strong enough resume to jump from 9/10 to 4th in one week.

All that said, I think the committee in that scenario would have the BTT winner jump UM and make it. Too much controversy to select Michigan there. Someone said Michigan is cemented at #5 and I think they are right, it would be really hard to move them up or down.

Also I don't see Clemson dropping out of the top 4 if they lost. I think their resume is fairly solid with wins over 13-14-15 ranked teams (2 on the road) and the 2 losses being to top 25 teams.
0 x
Win it for Fred

philosophizer75
All-Star

Postby philosophizer75 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:49 pm

I feel for ok st. They literally had the officials misrule and hand them that bad loss against CMU. Tell me they don't look different as a 1 loss Big 12 school.
0 x

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:56 pm

philosophizer75 wrote:I feel for ok st. They literally had the officials misrule and hand them that bad loss against CMU. Tell me they don't look different as a 1 loss Big 12 school.

Meh. They only led that game because the officials picked up a flag on a blatant hold when they scored on 4th and Goal. And OU is going to beat the piss out of them on Saturday anyway, so it will likely be a non-issue.

If they do win vs OU, though, they could have the distinction (infamy?) of having spurred the 4-team playoff (by getting left out at 11-1 in 2011 in favor of an LSU/Alabama rematch) and possibly spurring in the 8 team playoff if all hell breaks loose and they institute it after this year.
0 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:19 pm

apete6 wrote:
philosophizer75 wrote:I feel for ok st. They literally had the officials misrule and hand them that bad loss against CMU. Tell me they don't look different as a 1 loss Big 12 school.

Meh. They only led that game because the officials picked up a flag on a blatant hold when they scored on 4th and Goal. And OU is going to beat the piss out of them on Saturday anyway, so it will likely be a non-issue.

If they do win vs OU, though, they could have the distinction (infamy?) of having spurred the 4-team playoff (by getting left out at 11-1 in 2011 in favor of an LSU/Alabama rematch) and possibly spurring in the 8 team playoff if all hell breaks loose and they institute it after this year.

But hey, they were awarded the 1945 national championship this year, so they got that going for them.

Actually they have nothing going for them which is how it always should be.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:17 pm

i beg to differ

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:15 am

The only thing that would really kiss me off is if Penn State wins but they pick Michigan for the Rose Bowl instead
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:26 pm

Derwood wrote:The only thing that would really kiss me off is if Penn State wins but they pick Michigan for the Rose Bowl instead

Isn't the B1G champion locked into the Rose if they don't make the playoff? I know normally those slots go to 'highest ranked team outside the playoff', but I think that's under the assumption that the champ is in the playoff.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:58 pm

8 team playoff plz. 5 conference champs + 3 at-large bids.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:59 pm

Andy wrote:
Derwood wrote:The only thing that would really kiss me off is if Penn State wins but they pick Michigan for the Rose Bowl instead

Isn't the B1G champion locked into the Rose if they don't make the playoff? I know normally those slots go to 'highest ranked team outside the playoff', but I think that's under the assumption that the champ is in the playoff.

No I think that changed but I could be wrong. They were talking about how if Michigan was selected for the Rose Bowl and Colorado was the Pac 12 champ but didn't make the playoff, they might switch out Colorado so there wouldn't be a rematch.

Either way, if for some reason the Rose Bowl selected Michigan over Penn State, PSU would almost certainly be selected for the Orange Bowl and play Florida State or Louisville instead of playing Washington, Colorado or USC.
0 x
Win it for Fred

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:01 pm

OleMissCub wrote:8 team playoff plz. 5 conference champs + 3 at-large bids.

If you're going to go to 8 teams you have to give 1 spot to the Top Group of 5 Champion IMO. If there is 0 chance that a non-power 5+ND team can win a championship in an 8 team playoff, those non-power 5 teams shouldn't even be playing FBS football
0 x
Win it for Fred

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:31 pm

UMFan83 wrote:

If you're going to go to 8 teams you have to give 1 spot to the Top Group of 5 Champion IMO. If there is 0 chance that a non-power 5+ND team can win a championship in an 8 team playoff, those non-power 5 teams shouldn't even be playing FBS football

Ok, well I'm fine with that. Let Bama annihilate Arkansas State or whomever it is every year.
0 x

philosophizer75
All-Star

Postby philosophizer75 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:39 pm

I mean, sure, usually it would end up being a monster like Bama or Ohio State just mauling on the group of 5 team. But the most exciting, most memorable college football game I've ever seen involved a blue blood top tier team and a small conference team.

2007 Fiesta Bowl between Boise State and Oklahoma.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:45 pm

philosophizer75 wrote:I mean, sure, usually it would end up being a monster like Bama or Ohio State just mauling on the group of 5 team. But the most exciting, most memorable college football game I've ever seen involved a blue blood top tier team and a small conference team.

2007 Fiesta Bowl between Boise State and Oklahoma.

Excellent point.

I've said it many times, but a New Years Day with all 4 quarterfinal games being played throughout the day would be the most epic sports day in America.
1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:53 pm

UMFan83 wrote:

I'm not really following the logic here. Doesn't this slightly increase the chance of a Group of 5 team winning a title compared to the BCS or a 4 team playoff? The bar would be lower than ever to gain entry, and while sure it's unlikely they'd win 3 games, Group of 5 teams are also 0-0 in BCS title games and CFP games.
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:30 pm

The Rose Bowl is obligated to take the B1G Champion if that team is not in the playoffs.

Edit: I would even bet that they would take the losers of the B1G title game over Michigan/USC if, say, Clemson loses and Washington and PSU win. The Rose Bowl wants to keep tradition alive more than any other bowl out there. I would bet that it'll be Colorado (win or lose) vs Penn State or Wisconsin.
Last edited by JennieGarthAlgar on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:44 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

I'm not really following the logic here. Doesn't this slightly increase the chance of a Group of 5 team winning a title compared to the BCS or a 4 team playoff? The bar would be lower than ever to gain entry, and while sure it's unlikely they'd win 3 games, Group of 5 teams are also 0-0 in BCS title games and CFP games.

I am not sure what you are getting at. I'm saying to guarantee a GO5 champion a playoff spot because if you are going to have 8 playoff teams I think its important to ensure that every FBS team has a realistic pathway to a championship. Right now it would take an individual program with a multiple year run of success to the point where they feel comfortable scheduling solid P5 teams that they can beat, build up some name recognition, not have the coach bolt to a P5 program and then most likely go undefeated.

I'm sure that GO5 team would be whalloped by the 1 seed a majority of the years but whatever, I guess thats a reward for earning the 1 seed.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:46 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I am not sure what you are getting at. I'm saying to guarantee a GO5 champion a playoff spot because if you are going to have 8 playoff teams I think its important to ensure that every FBS team has a realistic pathway to a championship. Right now it would take an individual program with a multiple year run of success to the point where they feel comfortable scheduling solid P5 teams that they can beat, build up some name recognition, not have the coach bolt to a P5 program and then most likely go undefeated.

I'm sure that GO5 team would be whalloped by the 1 seed a majority of the years but whatever, I guess thats a reward for earning the 1 seed.

What I'm saying is that even if you don't guarantee a GO5 champ a playoff spot, that's still better than their chances were with the BCS or 4 team CFP.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”