Bears offseason

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Bears offseason

Postby David » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:17 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Sad sad local reporter struggling to find meaning in post Cutler world

deleted!
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:35 am

davell wrote:I know Pace is copying Theo now. He's just Feldmaning the horsefeathers out of players now.

I like the fact there's plenty of flexibility. I see what he's trying to accomplish. I just don't think this approach was a necessity.

At any rate, I can see the secondary being relatively solid. Definitely like the idea of taking a WR by the 4th now though......

Well it became a necessity when he struck out on most of his top targets.

Can this hypothetical WR returm kicks? Would have preferred only one of Wright or Wheaton + Patterson
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:37 am

David wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Sad sad local reporter struggling to find meaning in post Cutler world

deleted!

Ah damn, well for anyone who missed it, Chris Boden tweeted something to the effect;

Jay Cutler 8 years: 0 1 on 1 interviews. Mike Glennon 1 on the first day! (And hes much taller)
0 x

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:43 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
davell wrote:I know Pace is copying Theo now. He's just Feldmaning the horsefeathers out of players now.

I like the fact there's plenty of flexibility. I see what he's trying to accomplish. I just don't think this approach was a necessity.

At any rate, I can see the secondary being relatively solid. Definitely like the idea of taking a WR by the 4th now though......

Can this hypothetical WR returm kicks? Would have preferred only one of Wright or Wheaton + Patterson

I wonder if we're even out on Patterson? I know Wheaton can return kicks, but I'd kind of like to see Patterson still added......Granted, that doesn't leave room for a WR thru the draft.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:45 am

davell wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

I wonder if we're even out on Patterson? I know Wheaton can return kicks, but I'd kind of like to see Patterson still added......Granted, that doesn't leave room for a WR thru the draft.

If that WR could replace Bellamy on ST, theres a spot for them.

Also, Kyle is worried about bullying. Sounds like serious lockerroom issues
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:57 am

David wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
davell wrote:Jonathan Banks and Christian Jones were brought back.

Sidney Jones just tore his Achilles at his Pro Day. I would LOVE to see him fall to 36.

That's a pretty serious injury... you want that at 36? That's basically going to be a red shirt for him, right?

No way I'd use a 2nd round pick on a db with a torn Achilles

I'd consider him in the third round (again, I like him more than mock drafts seem to), especially if this type of timeline is realistic:

0 x

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:30 am

I still want to punch him in the face, but Leming made a great point, in connecting some dots.

We've not been connected to any D-Line guys, like Hankins, Poe, or Logan. Allen must have passed his team physicals, because he's got second interviews with us AND Jax too. Coincidence?

Defensive line could be where our first pick is dedicated to. Either Allen or Solomon Thomas. I wouldn't be against either. Although I think I'd prefer Thomas, to be honest.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:37 am

davell wrote:I still want to punch him in the face, but Leming made a great point, in connecting some dots.

We've not been connected to any D-Line guys, like Hankins, Poe, or Logan. Allen must have passed his team physicals, because he's got second interviews with us AND Jax too. Coincidence?

Defensive line could be where our first pick is dedicated to. Either Allen or Solomon Thomas. I wouldn't be against either. Although I think I'd prefer Thomas, to be honest.

I'd love to trade down a bit and get someone from a group of Solomon Thomas, one of the safeties or Lattimore. Seems like they're all a bit below the third pick in terms of value.
0 x

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:48 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
davell wrote:I still want to punch him in the face, but Leming made a great point, in connecting some dots.

I'd love to trade down a bit and get someone from a group of Solomon Thomas, one of the safeties or Lattimore. Seems like they're all a bit below the third pick in terms of value.

That'd be ideal. Pick up an extra 2nd and still get ANY of that group would be awesome.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:49 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Im leaning Thomas if not one of the QBs, though I may yet change my mind 20 times by draft day.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:00 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
David wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:That's a pretty serious injury... you want that at 36? That's basically going to be a red shirt for him, right?

No way I'd use a 2nd round pick on a db with a torn Achilles

I'd consider him in the third round (again, I like him more than mock drafts seem to), especially if this type of timeline is realistic:

I could be talked into a 3rd if that's what the timeline looks like. I could be completely wrong, but seems extremely aggressive and unrealistic...maybe something his agent is leaking out to salvage some of his draft stock?
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:34 am

Wright and Wheaton are ok I guess (you can argue Wheaton hasn't hit his ceiling yet) but we really need some upside and I don't think we are going to draft WR high. Gordon plz.
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:20 am

SpongeWorthy wrote:Wright and Wheaton are ok I guess (you can argue Wheaton hasn't hit his ceiling yet) but we really need some upside and I don't think we are going to draft WR high. Gordon plz.

you know who look really good with Wright, Wheaton and Cam Meredith? horsefeathering Alshon Jeffery.
0 x

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:07 am

Am I missing anyone?

QB Glennon(3-45, 18G, 14M Cap Hit)
WR Wheaton(2-?) Wright(1-4)
TE Sims(3-18, 10G, 6.333 Cap Hit)
OT Compton
LB Jones
CB Amukamara(1-7, 7G, 7M Cap Hit) Cooper(3-16, 8G, 5M Cap Hit) Banks
S Demps(3-13.5, 5G, 4.239 Cap Hit)

I'm unsure of cap hits on some of these guys. At any rate, I'd venture to say we still have 10-15 mill or so, plus the rookie pool.

QB- From where we were, versus now? Same, I guess? Maybe a bit better, since Jay is so injury-prone? Personally, I do think Glennon has more upside than Hoyer anyway. Do we address QB early in the draft? I honestly have no clue.

TE- The Sims signing is the worst signing so far. WTF? Seriously, he gets paid like Doyle and Bennett? No idea why. But, I'd venture to say we obviously like him and maybe even to the extent we don't draft a TE, based on what we gave him. Hopefully, we still take advantage of such a loaded class....I guess he's not even a blocking TE, so this is hard to compare to Paulsen....

WR- We're definitely worse. Losing Alshon hurts. I don't know why we didn't grab Pryor. Supposedly there are character issues. Individually, I like the Wheaton and Wright signings. But, this puts way too much stock in Meredith and White, IMO. If you add Patterson and/or a pick to this mix, I guess its possible they become a serviceable group altogether. Still, its hard to say they're giving Glennon a great shot....

CB- We're better. Not as good as we could be, but we're better. Cooper really intrigues me. I could even see him sliding over to Safety, if needed. Prince is solid. Just hope he stays healthy.

S- The Demps contract is good. Not sure why we didn't grab Swearinger or Harmon though, since they're obviously much younger. Still, Demps improves the group by a good bit.

So, the team is improved. Not by as much as it could have been. But, there's going to be a massive amount of cap space next year too and there's still more FA signings and the draft, to go.....

That said, what are we currently? Over/Under 5.5? I'd flip a coin.

Biggest Needs as of Now?

QB- Although I'd be extremely surprised to see us take one at 3. Relatively surprised at 36. My guess is we wind up with Peterman or Kaaya in the 3rd or 4th and take one in the 1st next year.

WR- This is a larger need than it had been. I'll be surprised if its not addressed further this off season. But, it could just be via FA.

TE- I still think we need an upgrade here. But spending that amount on Sims makes me wonder if Pace thinks of this as an area of need.

OT- We sniffed around Wagner and Okung. So, its on the radar. Depending on how we finish off FA, I could see a 2nd or 3rd being spent here.

DL- There's solid guys available in FA. We're linked to Jonathan Allen. I'm sure this is still being addressed.

CB- Great draft class, feel confident we'll draft a guy. I doubt its at 3 now though.

S- Yeah, this isn't a strong area of the team. But, unless Adams or Hooker is a Bear, I doubt we use anything earlier than a 4th to address the spot. Maybe not at all.

In order, I'd list the needs as.....QB, WR, OT, CB, DL, TE, and S.
Last edited by davell on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:36 am

What would you take to swap spots with Jax to give them their choice? The famous draft chart says #4 + 2nd = #3 + 4th + 5th, but I can't see that happening. The other "Browns" chart shows the difference in value to be less than any draft pick. I'd think a 4th, maybe a 3rd at most.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:59 am

Mike Glennon's male pattern baldness bothers me

I'll miss your glorious head of hair, Jay
0 x

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:18 pm

Corey Davis would be nice, but yeah, if Allen is there i think they take him.
0 x
Under the terrible burden of destiny laughing as a young man laughs...

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:40 pm

davell wrote:Am I missing anyone?

QB Glennon(3-45, 18G, 14M Cap Hit)
WR Wheaton(2-?) Wright(1-4)
TE Sims(3-18, 10G)
OT Compton
LB Jones
CB Amukamara(1-7, 7G, 7M Cap Hit) Cooper(3-?) Banks
S Demps(3-13.5)

I'm unsure of cap hits on some of these guys. At any rate, I'd venture to say we still have 10-15 mill or so, plus the rookie pool.

QB- From where we were, versus now? Same, I guess? Maybe a bit better, since Jay is so injury-prone? Personally, I do think Glennon has more upside than Hoyer anyway. Do we address QB early in the draft? I honestly have no clue.

TE- The Sims signing is the worst signing so far. WTF? Seriously, he gets paid like Doyle and Bennett? No idea why. But, I'd venture to say we obviously like him and maybe even to the extent we don't draft a TE, based on what we gave him. Hopefully, we still take advantage of such a loaded class....I guess he's not even a blocking TE, so this is hard to compare to Paulsen....

WR- We're definitely worse. Losing Alshon hurts. I don't know why we didn't grab Pryor. Supposedly there are character issues. Individually, I like the Wheaton and Wright signings. But, this puts way too much stock in Meredith and White, IMO. If you add Patterson and/or a pick to this mix, I guess its possible they become a serviceable group altogether. Still, its hard to say they're giving Glennon a great shot....

CB- We're better. Not as good as we could be, but we're better. Cooper really intrigues me. I could even see him sliding over to Safety, if needed. Prince is solid. Just hope he stays healthy.

S- The Demps contract is good. Not sure why we didn't grab Swearinger or Harmon though, since they're obviously much younger. Still, Demps improves the group by a good bit.

So, the team is improved. Not by as much as it could have been. But, there's going to be a massive amount of cap space next year too and there's still more FA signings and the draft, to go.....

That said, what are we currently? Over/Under 5.5? I'd flip a coin.

Biggest Needs as of Now?

QB- Although I'd be extremely surprised to see us take one at 3. Relatively surprised at 36. My guess is we wind up with Peterman or Kaaya in the 3rd or 4th and take one in the 1st next year.

WR- This is a larger need than it had been. I'll be surprised if its not addressed further this off season. But, it could just be via FA.

TE- I still think we need an upgrade here. But spending that amount on Sims makes me wonder if Pace thinks of this as an area of need.

OT- We sniffed around Wagner and Okung. So, its on the radar. Depending on how we finish off FA, I could see a 2nd or 3rd being spent here.

DL- There's solid guys available in FA. We're linked to Jonathan Allen. I'm sure this is still being addressed.

CB- Great draft class, feel confident we'll draft a guy. I doubt its at 3 now though.

S- Yeah, this isn't a strong area of the team. But, unless Adams or Hooker is a Bear, I doubt we use anything earlier than a 4th to address the spot. Maybe not at all.

In order, I'd list the needs as.....QB, WR, OT, CB, DL, TE, and S.

You didn't mention OLB, which as of now we need to keep Houston for depth, where most thought he would be cut. At the very least we need to be resigning Acho, but I would think its a position to watch.

I'm thinking about Solomon Thomas at 3. I know a lot of people are thinking if him as a Justin Smith DE if he adds 10 pounds, but I think he could stay where he is now and move around as a UTIL type front 7 guy.

No idea where to estimate our cap depth until we know Cooper's and Wheaton's deals. Keep in mind though, our draft pool is pretty large at 10M, and we're not going to spend right up to the cap limit. Royal is probably a goner at this point at $5M, but that probably just gets us the buffer space, all else being equal.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:41 pm

Stannis wrote:Corey Davis would be nice, but yeah, if Allen is there i think they take him.

You like Davis more than Mike Williams? I was thinking Mike Williams as a possibility at 3, not Davis so much.
0 x

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:06 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Stannis wrote:Corey Davis would be nice, but yeah, if Allen is there i think they take him.

You like Davis more than Mike Williams? I was thinking Mike Williams as a possibility at 3, not Davis so much.

I know it's not directed at me but I like Corey Davis infinitely more than Mike Williams. It would probably be a trade down though, but David passes the eye test and has multiple years of elite production.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:06 pm

Last edited by WrigleyField 22 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:06 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

I know it's not directed at me but I like Corey Davis infinitely more than Mike Williams. It would probably be a trade down though, but David passes the eye test and has multiple years of elite production.
0 x

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:48 pm

So roster is this at the moment:

QB - Glennon, Shaw, ________
RB - Howard, Langford, Karey
FB - Lasike
T - Leno, Massie, Compton
G - Sitton, Long, Kush
C - Whitehair, Grasu
TE - Miller, Sims, Brown/Pruitt/Braunecker/_______
WR 1 - Meredith, Bellamy/_______
WR 2 - White, Addison/Anderson/Randle/_______
Slot - Wright, Wheaton/Braverman (Royal rumored to be cut)

5T - Hicks, Unrein, Sutton/Lewis-Moore
NT - Goldman, Ferguson
5T - _______, Bullard
OLB - McPhee, Young, Floyd, Houston, Robertson-Harris
ILB - Freeman, Trevathan, Kwiatkowski, Anderson, Jones, Timu
CB 1 - Amukamara, Cooper
CB 2 - Porter, Hall, Fuller, McManis/Banks/Bausby/Glenn/Reynolds
Nickel - Callahan, LeBlanc
S - Demps, Amos, Jones-Quartey, Hurst, Bush, Houston-Carson

ST - Scales, O'Donnell, Barth

Biggest 2017 needs:
#1 5T
#1 WR
#1 CB/CB Upgrade
TE Upgrade
FS Upgrade
T Upgrade
#2 NT
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:19 pm

David wrote:
I could be talked into a 3rd if that's what the timeline looks like. I could be completely wrong, but seems extremely aggressive and unrealistic...maybe something his agent is leaking out to salvage some of his draft stock?

Obviously not the same type of movement or stress on that part of the body, but Wainwright blew his out on opening day and pitched in October, so an additional month is probably not completely out of the question timewise. Especially when you consider this guy is 10+ years younger and probably in better shape to begin with.
0 x
I like beer.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:36 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Yeah, Davis is better. I'd rather draft Engram than Williams.
0 x
Under the terrible burden of destiny laughing as a young man laughs...

Return to “Other Sports”