College Basketball 2017-2018

User avatar
Stannis
RIP Sulley
Posts: 45935
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Winterfell
x 156
x 423

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby Stannis » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:27 pm

and Smith is ours, baby.
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

User avatar
Stannis
RIP Sulley
Posts: 45935
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Winterfell
x 156
x 423

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby Stannis » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:12 am

So yeah, Jackson is reporting that Smith is working on Tilmon.
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73206
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 1986
x 2806
Contact:

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby UMFan83 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:13 am

Wow DePaul landed a 5 star Tyger Campbell. Number 21 prospect in 2018 class. All they had to do is hire his HS coach as an assistant but still impressive grab.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 65097
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 492
x 1167

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby Derwood » Tue May 09, 2017 2:13 am

UMFan83 wrote:Wow DePaul landed a 5 star Tyger Campbell. Number 21 prospect in 2018 class. All they had to do is hire his HS coach as an assistant but still impressive grab.


Very impressive. Hopefully they don't ruin him
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73206
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 1986
x 2806
Contact:

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby UMFan83 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Tilmon to Mizzou. They are going to be really really good
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 48954
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 331
x 956

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon May 15, 2017 6:44 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Tilmon to Mizzou. They are going to be really really good


No they are not.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President
Posts: 11555
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am
Location: behind the boathouse
x 401
x 742

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby sneakypower » Mon May 15, 2017 6:56 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Tilmon to Mizzou. They are going to be really really good

2015: Ivan Rabb and Jaylen Brown to Cal, They are going to be really really good

2017: [0 tournament wins later]
0 x
Image

abmillis
All-Star
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Centralia, IL
x 245
x 43

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby abmillis » Mon May 15, 2017 6:59 pm

sneakypower wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Tilmon to Mizzou. They are going to be really really good

2015: Ivan Rabb and Jaylen Brown to Cal, They are going to be really really good

2017: [0 tournament wins later]


To be fair to UMFan, Porter is a beast and has a pretty good shot to go 1/1 next year
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73206
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 1986
x 2806
Contact:

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby UMFan83 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:02 pm

sneakypower wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Tilmon to Mizzou. They are going to be really really good

2015: Ivan Rabb and Jaylen Brown to Cal, They are going to be really really good

2017: [0 tournament wins later]


valid point, I know nothing. They got some good players though
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54368
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 300
x 4039

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon May 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Mizzou being really good is predicated on Porter Jr. being Durant/Melo good as a freshman instead of just normal #1 recruit in the country good. I've seen people imply he could be on that level, but it's a lot to predict/assume for anyone. More likely they'll be a middle of the road tourney team that maybe makes a run depending on how quickly Tilmon can become a defense/rebounding stalwart(since Martin's teams rely on interior defense first). Porter's brother reclassifying to 2017 sure wouldn't hurt either.
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 48954
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 331
x 956

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon May 15, 2017 7:29 pm

I don't think they make the tournament unless the other Porter reclassifies. This was a laughably bad team last year. Far worse than what Ben Simmons came into at LSU.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54368
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 300
x 4039

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon May 15, 2017 7:37 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:I don't think they make the tournament unless the other Porter reclassifies. This was a laughably bad team last year. Far worse than what Ben Simmons came into at LSU.


IMO that understates how comically bad Anderson was at his job. Even with the same cast of characters they were bound to be much better with an actual D1 head coach, and Porter Jr, Tilmon, Robertson(grad transfer), Harris & Roberts is a pretty significant talent infusion.
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 48954
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 331
x 956

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon May 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:I don't think they make the tournament unless the other Porter reclassifies. This was a laughably bad team last year. Far worse than what Ben Simmons came into at LSU.


IMO that understates how comically bad Anderson was at his job. Even with the same cast of characters they were bound to be much better with an actual D1 head coach, and Porter Jr, Tilmon, Robertson(grad transfer), Harris & Roberts is a pretty significant talent infusion.


But they hired Cuonzo Martin.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
snoodmonger
Superstar
Posts: 11863
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:53 am
Location: LA
x 156
x 135
Contact:

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby snoodmonger » Tue May 16, 2017 5:40 am

Cuonzo Martin is a pretty terrible coach. Mizzou might make the tourney. It's no sure bet though.
0 x

User avatar
Stannis
RIP Sulley
Posts: 45935
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Winterfell
x 156
x 423

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby Stannis » Tue May 16, 2017 1:34 pm

John Groce is 3/9 making the tourney. Cuonzo Martin is 2/9.

Tilmon is a talent, but thus far, he hasn't produced a ton of results. he's not a guy who will outmuscle others for boards or play like a beast down low. he's got a nice touch around the basket with a variety of post moves. but he's much closer to a 4-year player than a frosh superstar.

now, with Porter's talent, maybe Martin is thinking he can just roll the ball out there and let his guys play off of him, which isn't a bad strategy short-term. it will probably make Tilmon better in the year Porter is there.

but like I said, Cuonzo isn't good at all.
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

User avatar
illiniguy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25475
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:59 pm
Location: Kansas City
x 53
x 25

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby illiniguy » Wed May 17, 2017 1:40 am

Stannis wrote:John Groce is 3/9 making the tourney. Cuonzo Martin is 2/9.

Tilmon is a talent, but thus far, he hasn't produced a ton of results. he's not a guy who will outmuscle others for boards or play like a beast down low. he's got a nice touch around the basket with a variety of post moves. but he's much closer to a 4-year player than a frosh superstar.

now, with Porter's talent, maybe Martin is thinking he can just roll the ball out there and let his guys play off of him, which isn't a bad strategy short-term. it will probably make Tilmon better in the year Porter is there.

but like I said, Cuonzo isn't good at all.

Not to mention there has been a ton of smoke since he transferred back to St. Louis that he might not qualify anyways. Sucks we lost him, but I'd much rather have Underwood than Martin.
0 x
Image

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73206
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 1986
x 2806
Contact:

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Wow Thad Matta "stepping down" as HC at OSU. Not surprised its happening, but surprised at the timing even though he's had some recent embarrassments trying to fill scholarships this offseason.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 65097
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 492
x 1167

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby Derwood » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:34 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Wow Thad Matta "stepping down" as HC at OSU. Not surprised its happening, but surprised at the timing even though he's had some recent embarrassments trying to fill scholarships this offseason.


He has lost a lot of players recently, so not super surprised by the timing, though it totally screws the program for next year
0 x

User avatar
illiniguy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25475
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:59 pm
Location: Kansas City
x 53
x 25

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby illiniguy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:42 pm

Derwood wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Wow Thad Matta "stepping down" as HC at OSU. Not surprised its happening, but surprised at the timing even though he's had some recent embarrassments trying to fill scholarships this offseason.


He has lost a lot of players recently, so not super surprised by the timing, though it totally screws the program for next year

He dicked the program over, they could have had the younger Miller.
0 x
Image

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 36302
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 841
x 1097

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:29 pm

NCAA ruled on "hooker-gate" or whatever it was at Louisville. Pitino got a five game suspension and vacation of wins from 2010-2014, which I suppose means their 2013 championship "didn't happen"

This line from the press release by the NCAA:

“Without dispute, NCAA rules do not allow institutional staff members to arrange for stripteases and sex acts for prospects, enrolled student-athletes and/or those who accompany them to campus,” said the panel in its decision.


lol
0 x
Image

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73206
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 1986
x 2806
Contact:

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:43 pm

From what I saw on twitter they are supposedly keeping the banner, but that doesn't make sense so who knows.

If Michigan doesn't get that banner I don't want anyone else to dammit. Especially because Burke's foul was BS and completely changed the game. Yes I am still bitter :)
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 36302
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 841
x 1097

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:26 pm

Vacating wins is the dumbest punishment there is. Their fans saw those victories and the sports world saw those victories. It's like when a judge tells a jury to disregard the last statement they just heard.
1 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56544
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1578
x 5173

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:59 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
“Without dispute, NCAA rules do not allow institutional staff members to arrange for stripteases and sex acts for prospects, enrolled student-athletes and/or those who accompany them to campus,” said the panel in its decision.


lol


that's a job for recent graduates, or maybe upper classmen if you're talking about recruits.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73206
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 1986
x 2806
Contact:

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:09 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Wow DePaul landed a 5 star Tyger Campbell. Number 21 prospect in 2018 class. All they had to do is hire his HS coach as an assistant but still impressive grab.




Yep back to irrelevance
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 65097
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 492
x 1167

Re: College Basketball 2017-2018

Postby Derwood » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:16 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Wow DePaul landed a 5 star Tyger Campbell. Number 21 prospect in 2018 class. All they had to do is hire his HS coach as an assistant but still impressive grab.




Yep back to irrelevance


How I long for the days of Tommy Kleinschmidt
0 x


Return to “Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abmillis, UMFan83 and 3 guests