Golf thread

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 76813
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2709
x 4039
Contact:

Golf thread

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:22 pm



Jesus, does he have a back injury or ALS?
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66239
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4949
x 4959

Re: Golf thread

Postby Banedon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:30 pm

UMFan83 wrote:

Jesus, does he have a back injury or ALS?


Back injuries are the worst.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Splendid Splinter
All-Star
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:30 am
x 6671
x 158

Re: Golf thread

Postby Splendid Splinter » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:54 am

Banedon wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Jesus, does he have a back injury or ALS?


Back injuries are the worst.


Back surgery for golfers is like ACL/Tommy John for athletes in other sports 20+ years ago. I don't know many, if there is any, pro golfer that had back surgery and bounce back to their pre-surgery form.
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 4502
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:51 pm
Location: Chicago
x 42
x 14

Re: Golf thread

Postby ChiCubsFan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Who ya got? Hard to fade Day right now. Might go with Rickie, though.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22508
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5613
x 4303

Re: Golf thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Tough to say, this is one of the deepest fields I can remember. Legitimately a dozen or so guys you can make great arguments for. I put some money on Patrick Reed at 50/1 back in January when I was in Vegas so I'm gonna be rooting for him.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 33850
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 753
x 5319

Re: Golf thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:16 pm

Michael Collins, ESPN Senior Writer wrote:Shane Lowry now has 5 birdies thru 8 holes with zero birdies...
0 x
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66239
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4949
x 4959

Re: Golf thread

Postby Banedon » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:31 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Michael Collins, ESPN Senior Writer wrote:Shane Lowry now has 5 birdies thru 8 holes with zero birdies...


And the "highlight" of the day is gonna be Ernie Els 6 putting.
0 x
Image

User avatar
BigbadB
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24439
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:38 am
Location: San Diego
x 18
x 110

Re: Golf thread

Postby BigbadB » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Banedon wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Michael Collins, ESPN Senior Writer wrote:Shane Lowry now has 5 birdies thru 8 holes with zero birdies...


And the "highlight" of the day is gonna be Ernie Els 6 putting.


I can honestly say I've never done that. Heck, I've never 5 putted. Put me in coach!
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66239
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4949
x 4959

Re: Golf thread

Postby Banedon » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:48 pm

BigbadB wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:


And the "highlight" of the day is gonna be Ernie Els 6 putting.


I can honestly say I've never done that. Heck, I've never 5 putted. Put me in coach!


I haven't from that distance, but I've putted from one fringe to the other and then gotten scared and hit a bunch of short putts to the cup on a number of occasions. I am not a good golfer.
0 x
Image

User avatar
BigbadB
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24439
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:38 am
Location: San Diego
x 18
x 110

Re: Golf thread

Postby BigbadB » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:59 pm

Banedon wrote:
BigbadB wrote:
Banedon wrote:
And the "highlight" of the day is gonna be Ernie Els 6 putting.


I can honestly say I've never done that. Heck, I've never 5 putted. Put me in coach!


I haven't from that distance, but I've putted from one fringe to the other and then gotten scared and hit a bunch of short putts to the cup on a number of occasions. I am not a good golfer.


I once had a 3 foot putt on a false front pin placement at Spyglass that went around the cup on the high side and rolled 30 feet off the green. Dumbest thing I've ever seen at a golf course. And I'm not referring to my putt, but the pin placement. Basically that means ANYTHING above the hole will roll off. So basically I knocked my second shot pin high and a soft bump for a birdie that turned into at least a bogie. I was so angry about my fate (I only brought a putter to the green from the cart), I don't even remember what my score was on that hole. Probably a double.

I did 4 putt from 12' once. I think that's my worst effort. The pin was on a ridge. I putted a bit too hard and it caught the slope on the other side and I had another 12'er coming back. Caught the same slope and was probably 8 to 10 feet coming back from the original line and came up short that time. Ugh!
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22508
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5613
x 4303

Re: Golf thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:32 pm

Spieth had a chance the last 3 holes there to pretty much coast tomorrow, but he really blew those last 2 holes and now it's wide open.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

badger
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7526
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Denver
x 320
x 377

Re: Golf thread

Postby badger » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:01 pm

[expletive] I just realized I have to listen to Joe Buck horsefeathering announce golf tomorrow. It's potentially worse than Berman but I don't even want to think about it enough to may an objective comparison between the two.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66239
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4949
x 4959

Re: Golf thread

Postby Banedon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:04 pm

0 x
Image

badger
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7526
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Denver
x 320
x 377

Re: Golf thread

Postby badger » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:39 pm

Banedon wrote:https://streamable.com/iefo?t=8.6



That looks like a real life cartoon.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66239
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4949
x 4959

Re: Golf thread

Postby Banedon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:57 pm

It me.

0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58560
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2325
x 7756

Re: Golf thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:33 pm

I had no idea a major was bein played just down the road from here.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
SpongeWorthy
Superstar
Posts: 13094
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:47 am
x 121
x 234

Re: Golf thread

Postby SpongeWorthy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:32 pm

am i this hungover or did furyk really shoot a 58 holy horsefeathers
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77086
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9454
x 12569

Re: Golf thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:06 pm

Well, this was pretty hilarious:

http://deadspin.com/american-fan-at-ryd ... 1787239881

There was tension between the Americans and Europeans at the Ryder Cup thanks to Danny Willett’s brother, but one American heckler in the crowd may have smoothed things over during today’s practice at Hazeltine National Golf Club.

Team Europe’s Henrik Stenson heard the jeers of David Johnson, a fan from North Dakota, and pulled him out of the crowd to make a putt. Justin Rose sweetened the deal with $100, right next to the ball. Rory McIlroy hugged Johnson after he made it:


2 x

biittner77
Superstar
Posts: 10481
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:10 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
x 13
x 203

Re: Golf thread

Postby biittner77 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:12 pm

Some friends of ours convinced my wife and I to join them for 9 holes of golf. As near as I can tell, it's been 10 years since the last time I played. I didn't really want to go but it was a beautiful day and I hit the ball well enough to post a decent score. So now I may be sucked in to playing golf again.

So I actually watched a bunch of the Ryder Cup matches. There was some great gold played. I know a lot of people like that the US Open brutalizes the players by making playing conditions ridiculously hard. This event proved that watching great players make great shots and score is pretty fun too.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66239
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4949
x 4959

Re: Golf thread

Postby Banedon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:12 pm

biittner77 wrote:Some friends of ours convinced my wife and I to join them for 9 holes of golf. As near as I can tell, it's been 10 years since the last time I played. I didn't really want to go but it was a beautiful day and I hit the ball well enough to post a decent score. So now I may be sucked in to playing golf again.

So I actually watched a bunch of the Ryder Cup matches. There was some great gold played. I know a lot of people like that the US Open brutalizes the players by making playing conditions ridiculously hard. This event proved that watching great players make great shots and score is pretty fun too.


I love to play golf. I hate to pay for golf.
1 x
Image

biittner77
Superstar
Posts: 10481
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:10 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
x 13
x 203

Re: Golf thread

Postby biittner77 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:18 pm

That's part of the problem. I worked in the golf business for 5 years and got used to playing for free. The other big problem is time.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

jumbo
Starter
Posts: 613
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:37 am
x 336
x 15

Re: Golf thread

Postby jumbo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:37 am

biittner77 wrote:That's part of the problem. I worked in the golf business for 5 years and got used to playing for free. The other big problem is time.

I am addicted to golf but have difficulty getting time away from my wife and kids to play.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar
Posts: 10481
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:10 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
x 13
x 203

Re: Golf thread

Postby biittner77 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:07 pm

jumbo wrote:
biittner77 wrote:That's part of the problem. I worked in the golf business for 5 years and got used to playing for free. The other big problem is time.

I am addicted to golf but have difficulty getting time away from my wife and kids to play.


My wife wants me to teach my kids to play. My daughter is left handed but plays field hockey right handed so I'm not sure how to approach teaching her to play. My youngest son is 7 and I'm not sure if that's too young. based on baseball, he's pretty coachable but he gets frustrated easily. He's right handed but bats lefty.

Teaching the kids to play would allow me to play more but I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy that.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

jumbo
Starter
Posts: 613
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:37 am
x 336
x 15

Re: Golf thread

Postby jumbo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:05 am

biittner77 wrote:
jumbo wrote:
biittner77 wrote:That's part of the problem. I worked in the golf business for 5 years and got used to playing for free. The other big problem is time.

I am addicted to golf but have difficulty getting time away from my wife and kids to play.


My wife wants me to teach my kids to play. My daughter is left handed but plays field hockey right handed so I'm not sure how to approach teaching her to play. My youngest son is 7 and I'm not sure if that's too young. based on baseball, he's pretty coachable but he gets frustrated easily. He's right handed but bats lefty.

Teaching the kids to play would allow me to play more but I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy that.

My oldest is 6 and teaching her how to play now would be nearly impossible. It makes me think that Earl Woods must have been a sociopath.
I would try to get your daughter to play right handed if only for equipment availability. I'm planning to try to play with my kids and get them lessons so we can just play together.
0 x

User avatar
SpongeWorthy
Superstar
Posts: 13094
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:47 am
x 121
x 234

Re: Golf thread

Postby SpongeWorthy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:13 pm

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/178 ... -18-majors

what a horsefeathering weirdo

who answers a question that way

"actually i've accepted the fact that i'm going to break jack's record"
0 x


Return to “Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests